PDA

View Full Version : Swimming and Dancing

Aquanut
October 2nd, 2007, 01:11 PM
I am a lover of both swimming and dancing. I will also add scuba diving (YMCA SCUBA INSTRUCTOR). I go to the local "Y" 3x/week to swim the mile. In the evening,I take my dance lessons at Fred Astaire Dance Studio. Much joy has come my way in both of these activities. I'm a ardent lover of Esther Williams (Oh how I wish I had her as a swim coach/instructor!!! LOL!!!) But one can't have everything! Anyway,dancing has helped me in swimming and swimming has helped me in dancing. I have Esther Williams's movies on DVD and I always enjoy watching them.

I have a few questions for my fellow swimmers. I had a discussion with an old school buddy who is now a retired Pro- Baseball player. I asked him if swimming was ever an integral part of baseball. His reply was no. I told him that in my opinion it would be of great benefit to ball players,not only as exercise,but after playing a hard day of baseball,it would be a great way to cool off and relax!! He said that no one he knew in baseball ever diud that. Oh well! I would like some comments on this.

I also find that swimming and dancing are very inter-related. Esther Williams certainly proved that!!! Well,to me it's onward ever onward to swimming,dancing and scuba diving until I'm 6 feet under!

Blackbeard's Peg
October 2nd, 2007, 01:20 PM
I remember reading at several different time periods, that Randy Johnson, aka the BIG UNIT, would swim after surgeries as part of his rehab. At 6'7", if he ever got the itch to train for competition, that'd be one intimidating dude on the blocks!!

swimr4life
October 2nd, 2007, 02:39 PM
A young lady I coach on my summer league swim team is an excellent softball pitcher. Her pitching coach encourages her to swim to become stronger for pitching and good for her conditioning. She is an EXCELLENT swimmer too. I think the sports are good for each other.

Slowswim
October 2nd, 2007, 03:35 PM
My normal Monday and Wednesday morning is a 3000-ish swim and 15-20 mile bike. I was warming down and stretching after the bike. One time I was running behind so I cut the swim short went biking and then decided to finish the swim after the bike instead of warming down and stretching.

That was the best recovery from the bike I'd ever had! :groovy:Now my routine is: swim, bike, swim, jacuzzi (to stretch). I can see how get horizontal and staying active could help flush out the junk and relax you at the same time.
</IMG>