PDA

View Full Version : Airline Industry and TSA

islandsox
October 3rd, 2007, 05:58 PM
I have to return to Roatan this Saturday and was just double-checking as to what is allowed in carry-on bags or not. You never know what the TSA has listed or not.

As I was reading through pages of no-no's, they tell me I can't take my hand grenades nor my plastic explosives. Drat, I have to leave these at home with my ammunition, box cutters, and knives, but they will let me take onboard my crochet needles, screwdrivers and scissors. Guess these items aren't considered dangerous. (?????).

Not only that, but I have to leave at home or check them are my hockey sticks, golf clubs, lacrosse equipment, baseball bats. What's a girl to do? And I'm not drinking any baby formula since they allow me a whopping 3 oz.

I think we are all heading toward Nude Airlines.

Donna:duel:

thewookiee
October 3rd, 2007, 06:38 PM
Don't forget that you have to leave your leafblower at home too. I was going through the Nashville airport last week, in there they have a display of forbidden carry on items. In there is a full size leaf blower...glad i didnt need mine for the weekend.

geochuck
October 3rd, 2007, 07:12 PM
I have heard you are not allowed to board with a double, double, Canada's national beverage.

Blackbeard's Peg
October 3rd, 2007, 11:26 PM
I think we are all heading toward Nude Airlines.

Donna, judging by one of your recent posts in the ADD thread, sounds like you already swim in a pool owned by the same company ;) :thhbbb:

The regulations are a pain, but its all for the best. More room in your carry ons for more important things, like books of sudoku.

knelson
October 4th, 2007, 01:08 PM
And I'm not drinking any baby formula since they allow me a whopping 3 oz.

Incorrect. Baby formula is an exception to the 3 oz limit on liquids.

Stillhere
October 4th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I like the strict rules, especially with the morons out there that want to do us harm.
I travel a great deal and I am still a bit leary of the huge gap in security provided by baggage not being fully scanned. Having a devise go boom in the lower baggage compartment is not my idea of an experience I'd enjoy. Keep the pressure on TSA....and keep us safe.:applaud:

islandsox
October 4th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I like the strict rules, especially with the morons out there that want to do us harm.
I travel a great deal and I am still a bit leary of the huge gap in security provided by baggage not being fully scanned. Having a devise go boom in the lower baggage compartment is not my idea of an experience I'd enjoy. Keep the pressure on TSA....and keep us safe.:applaud:

Yeah, well, all of us want to be safe but there are so many holes in what they allow that it's pretty stupid. I mean, screwdrivers less than 4 inches (I believe that was the length) shouldn't be allowed at all. A person can do a lot of damage with a screwdriver and crochet needles.

And here's one that really gets me: we aren't allowed to carry through security typical water bottles, even sealed, but once you are through security, you can purchase one. Any person can go to a bathroom and do something evil with THAT water, can't they? So what is the purpose in this? If they aren't going to allow fluids, then they shouldn't allow any anywhere. Unless they just want us to buy them inside the airport.

I called TSA today to see if I could carry on a battery operated clock without the batteries. They said I couldn't because it has a plastic face cover and plastic could be used as a weapon. The man I spoke to was really nice, but when you first call TSA they inform you they record your call and proceed to get your name, addy and phone number. I think this is pretty good to do even if some people won't give the proper information.

Hey, I am all about safety and want as much as I can get but some of the things they have decided upon are a little out there. Such as lifting the ban on lighters. They only did this because it was costing them too much $$$ to dispose of them, not because lighters were dangerous. Lighters are still dangerous but they allow them in carryon, not checked.

Also, the TSA rep told me that even with complete documentation, that TSA Agents at all airports have full discretion to allow or disallow items.

I mean, I don't want to go BOOM in the air, but because TSA is reactive and not proactive, it bothers me a bit. They only make restrictions because something has happened, not because they are proactive and looking down the road for possible terror instances. Guess that's because we are not, by nature, people who look for the worse, so we (they) react.

I'm just irritated because of the inconsistencies in allowable items; doesn't make sense.

Stay tuned for any air problems this weekend, especially Continental from DFW to Houston to Roatan on Saturday :rofl:.

Rob Copeland
October 4th, 2007, 06:01 PM
And here's one that really gets me: we aren't allowed to carry through security typical water bottles, even sealed, but once you are through security, you can purchase one. Any person can go to a bathroom and do something evil with THAT water, can't they? So what is the purpose in this? If they aren't going to allow fluids, then they shouldn't allow any anywhere. Unless they just want us to buy them inside the airport.The purpose is to reduce the risk of flammable/explosive liquids. It is difficult to purchase explosive liquids within the security area. Very few newsstands or fast food joints are selling gasoline. However it is not difficult to take a water bottle and fill it with highly flammable liquids then reseal the bottle.

You can bring an empty/opened water bottle through security and fill it yourself once you get though security.

3strokes
October 4th, 2007, 10:40 PM
The purpose is to reduce the risk of flammable/explosive liquids. It is difficult to purchase explosive liquids within the security area. .

However they'll sell you the makings of a Molotov Cocktail in the duty-free shop (flammable alcohol) or on-board.