PDA

View Full Version : What is in your CD Changer?

Blackbeard's Peg
October 4th, 2007, 09:47 AM
I'm a big fan of music, so I thought I'd start this thread and see what people are listening to.

You have a 6-disc CD changer. What are your 6 cds?
Feel free to update frequently! Questions about artists and albums are encouraged!

me:
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
Jack Ingram - This is it
Dashboard Confessional - shade of poison trees
Beastie Boys - the mix up
Soul Asylum - let your dim light shine
RHCP - BSSMagik

SwimStud
October 4th, 2007, 10:10 AM
I'm a big fan of music, so I thought I'd start this thread and see what people are listening to.

You have a 6-disc CD changer. What are your 6 cds?
Feel free to update frequently! Questions about artists and albums are encouraged!

me:
Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos
Jack Ingram - This is it
Dashboard Confessional - shade of poison trees
Beastie Boys - the mix up
Soul Asylum - let your dim light shine
RHCP - BSSMagik

Not Britney...

slknight
October 4th, 2007, 10:16 AM
CD changer? What is this, the 90s? :rofl: All of our music is loaded onto our iPods. :p:bolt:

swimpastor
October 4th, 2007, 10:17 AM
What's a CD Changer? What's a CD?

bud
October 4th, 2007, 10:18 AM
don't actually have a cd changer... per se... but in the past year or two have taken to ripping stuff at 256kbps mp3's and burning them to a cd, which can typically hold 6 or so albums at that level. i use a sony walkman cd/mp3 player (D-NF430, which is deluxe) jacked into a nice set of amped pc speakers, or as a portable unit (w/ ear-buds), or into a set of Sennheiser RS-120 Wireless Headphones (a very good buy) [so as to not bother the neighbors], all very low cost and good sounding alternatives. these disks play well on my home stereo through my DVD player too.... anyway... that's enough of that stuff... here's one list:

Kristy MacColl - Tropical Brainstorm
Al Green - Geatest Hits (1 & 2)
Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense
Laurie Anderson - Home of the Brave
Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries
Dan Reeder - Dan Reeder (The Power That Comes From Nowhere)
The Meters - Funkify Your life (Anthology)

swimmieAvsFan
October 4th, 2007, 10:50 AM
here's mine...

Led Zeppelin- Led Zeppelin III
Jack Johnson- in between dreams
Rocco deLuca and the Burden- i trust you to kill me
guster- lost and gone forever
O.A.R.- Any Time Now, disc 2
Dave Matthews Band- Remember Two Things

and of course i'd have it set on random to make it even more fun...
:)

ViveBene
October 4th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Feel as though I stumbled into the wrong room here, but top six in stack are:

Martha Argerich plays Chopin (1965 recoridng)
Lorraine Hunt Lieberson sings Neruda Songs
Garcia and Grisman, Shady Grove album
Alan Munde, Blue Ridge Express
Solas, Sunny Spells and Scattered Showers
Rodgers and Hammerstein's Carousel

VB

JimRude
October 4th, 2007, 12:01 PM
The Clash - London Calling
The Ramones - All the Stuff and More, Vol. I :bow:
Neil Young - Weld
Weezer - Weezer
Jello Biafra and DOA - Last Scream of the Missing Neighbors
John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers - Live at the Marquee

meldyck
October 4th, 2007, 12:12 PM
all classical all the time - mostly baroque

JimRude
October 4th, 2007, 01:35 PM
all classical all the time - mostly baroque

:snore: .... :banana:

knelson
October 4th, 2007, 02:05 PM
CD changer? What is this, the 90s? :rofl: All of our music is loaded onto our iPods. :p:bolt:

Gee, I'll say! I either use my iPod or burn mp3 CDs to play in the car. Get with the times, man! :)

Some current faves are:
Wincing the Night Away The Shins
Live at The Fillmore East Neil Young and Crazy Horse
Thousands of Tiny Luminous Spheres The Bats
anything by the Go-Betweens

There are quite a few new/newish releases I'm interested in, but haven't purchased yet including Boxer by The National, 23 by Blonde Redhead, and Radiohead's new one which will be available next week by download only from their web site.

Blackbeard's Peg
October 4th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Feel as though I stumbled into the wrong room here, but top six in stack are:
VB - thanks for your input! good to see something "different" - thats kind of why I started this

Weezer - Weezer
Jim, from =w= fan to another, is that Blue or Green?

Leonard Jansen
October 4th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
David Grey - White Ladder
Mandy Moore - Wild Hope
The Jayhawks - Rainy Day Music
Sara Ayers - Sylvatica
Arvo Part - Te Deum
Cry Cry Cry - Cry Cry Cry
Nanci Griffith - Other Voices, Other Rooms
Bruce Springsteen - The Wild, The Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle

-LBJ

JimRude
October 4th, 2007, 03:28 PM
VB - thanks for your input! good to see something "different" - thats kind of why I started this

Jim, from =w= fan to another, is that Blue or Green?

Blue! :woot:

Slowswim
October 4th, 2007, 04:07 PM
The songs from my iPod.:thhbbb:

Jeff Commings
October 4th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Kirk will be happy to know that I bought an iPod a month ago and have been enjoying it ever since.

About a week ago I put my iPod on "shuffle" and am now 1600 songs into my 2600-song collection. It's fun not knowing what will be played next, though it also helps me realize what songs are not so good.

Last night I got a classical piece from Mozart, followed by Outkast's "Hey Ya!"

knelson
October 4th, 2007, 05:05 PM
It was tough giving up all those old 8 tracks, wasn't it Jeff? :)

tjburk
October 4th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Chris Tomlin
Third Day
Casting Crowns
Jeremy Camp OOOPPPPSSS it was actually Todd Agnew
Andrea Bocelli
Mercy Me

Donna
October 4th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Best of Van Halen, Vol. 1
Oh Yeah! Ultimate Aerosmith Hits
Have a Nice Day, Bon Jovi
Slippery when wet, Bon Jovi
Greatest Hits, Journey
Eagles: The very best of

3strokes
October 4th, 2007, 11:30 PM
Paco de Lucia (Flamenco Guitar)
Rocio Jurado and Mari Trini
Dalida
Andres Segovia and Narciso Yepes (Clasical Guitar)
Paco Ibañez (sings Spanish Classical Poems....Lorca, Machado, etc...)
Frankie Laine, Harry Belafonte, Nat King Cole, Kingston Trio, Joan Baez, Nana Mouskouri, The Three Tenors, Carmen (The original and the Spanish film), Evita (and works by Andrew Lloyd Webber), Linda Ronstadt, Kenny G, Nuestro Pequeño Mundo,

One of the best presents with which I gifted myself was a Cassette player and a piece of software called "Spin it Again" to convert Audio Cassettes (and LPs) to CDs, via the hard-drive.

One of the first things I'll ever do when I win the Lottery is retire so as to have time to (really) listen to my music (before getting more of the same genres), get a lot of books (and the space to keep them) and travel.

tjburk
October 5th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Ahmed, ever listen to Andrea Bocelli's CD Amore? Awesome!!!!

RecreationalSwimmer
October 5th, 2007, 03:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=katia+guerreiro&search=Search

:smooch: Impeccable!

3strokes
October 5th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Ahmed, ever listen to Andrea Bocelli's CD Amore? Awesome!!!!

Oh, yes. He's definitely one of the Greats. If I start thinking about whose music (and voices) I'd like to have, I'll just have to consider robbing a bank. (Given that I'm a swimmer, should I consider robbing a bank in Venice -Italy- and not have to depend on a getaway car, hoping that the Carabinieri might be too slow in their uniforms?)

tjburk
October 5th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I do believe you have an idea there....having been there and seen the canals, they would sink like rocks......hmmmmmm.......:bolt:

Oh, yes. He's definitely one of the Greats. If I start thinking about whose music (and voices) I'd like to have, I'll just have to consider robbing a bank. (Given that I'm a swimmer, should I consider robbing a bank in Venice -Italy- and not have to depend on a getaway car, hoping that the Carabinieri might be too slow in their uniforms?)

swim4me
October 5th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Three of the CD's in my changer were made for me by my daughter tand left for me the day before she left for college. She left them in my car with a note that made me cry on my way to 5 am practice :cry:. They have a variety of songs that we enjoyed while she was younger and growing up, songs about daughters growing up :cry:, songs we enjoyed while vacationing (we always choose a CD to listen to and then forever when we hear it, we remember the vacation) along with some of her current favorites that she thought I would like. :fish2:

fanstone
October 5th, 2007, 10:49 PM
So far I am with Threestrokes and his taste. My music thingie these days is a cell phone, given to me, a Sony Ericsson. I just keep buying those chips and filling them with music I have gotten from the internet. I use to be a runner and had the old Sony Walkmans, then Diskman, recently had the Walkman MDs, and now have a Sony Walkman and a Sony mobile that plays music....here is my list:

Elvis
Sinatra
Oscar Petersen
The Cathedrals (gospel)
Ella Fitzgerald
Basie

3strokes
October 6th, 2007, 04:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=katia+guerreiro&search=Search

:smooch: Impeccable!

If you liked Katia Guerreiro, you'll love the greatest of them all, Amalia Rodrigues. (And the following song, tho' not a typical Fado, is one of the best; it has been "done" also by Dalida (in French) and Rocio Jurado (in Spanish).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdJYzzyO7nc

3strokes
October 6th, 2007, 04:23 AM
The Cathedrals (gospel)

Mahalia Jackson

Ella Fitzgerald
Basie

Wonderful Eternal Classics

MichiganHusker
October 11th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
David Grey - White Ladder
Mandy Moore - Wild Hope
The Jayhawks - Rainy Day Music
Sara Ayers - Sylvatica
Arvo Part - Te Deum
Cry Cry Cry - Cry Cry Cry
Nanci Griffith - Other Voices, Other Rooms
Bruce Springsteen - The Wild, The Innocent and the E-Street Shuffle

-LBJ

I love Cry Cry Cry. Glad to know there is someone else that does too.

Current favorite CD - Kasey Chambers "Carnival"

Leonard, if you like Nanci Griffith and Cry Cry Cry, you should check it out. Clearly it is Kasey's best album to date.

Thrashing Slug
October 11th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Stuff that's in my car, cell phone, and Samsung music player:

Killers - Hot Fuss
Younger Brother - A Flock Of Bleeps
H.I.M. - Razorblade Romance
Queens of the Stone Age - Lullabies To Paralyze
Green Nuns of the Revolution - Rock Bitch Mafia
Soundtrack to Daredevil the movie

currently listening to U2's "All I Want is You". (great song)

This thread with its references to classical and baroque music has reminded me that I need to get some Giovanni Solima CDs. I'm having a hell of a time finding the one I want in stock. Here is a link to an amazing YouTube video that someone did for one of his pieces:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ldPf3yqq3-8

Leonard Jansen
October 11th, 2007, 09:06 AM
I love Cry Cry Cry. Glad to know there is someone else that does too.

Current favorite CD - Kasey Chambers "Carnival"

Leonard, if you like Nanci Griffith and Cry Cry Cry, you should check it out. Clearly it is Kasey's best album to date.

Thanks for the heads-up. I have heard some of her stuff and it is very good. BTW, if you have a fast internet connection, check out www.xpn.org . It is a radio station of the Univ. Of PA in Philly. They play a really excellent mix of stuff that sounds like right up your alley. It's a professional station, so no typical college radio sloppiness.

-LBJ

shark
October 11th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Dick's Gift - an early unknown show of The Legion of Mary. Circulated through trading trees since the early 70's as a gift from Dick Latvia to the masses. Excellent hard jam fusion jazz.
artists: Jerry Garcia, Merles Saunders, John Kohn, unknown sax, and unknown backup lady.
Any takers?

"If you got a notion, I'll second that emotion." - some motown artist. Please someone tell me. It escapes me at this moment.

swimr4life
October 11th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Three of the CD's in my changer were made for me by my daughter tand left for me the day before she left for college. She left them in my car with a note that made me cry on my way to 5 am practice :cry:. They have a variety of songs that we enjoyed while she was younger and growing up, songs about daughters growing up :cry:, songs we enjoyed while vacationing (we always choose a CD to listen to and then forever when we hear it, we remember the vacation) along with some of her current favorites that she thought I would like. :fish2:

Your post brought tears to my eyes! What a sweet daughter! My daughter is in college too right now and I miss her so much.

swimr4life
October 11th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Best of Van Halen, Vol. 1
Oh Yeah! Ultimate Aerosmith Hits
Have a Nice Day, Bon Jovi
Slippery when wet, Bon Jovi
Greatest Hits, Journey
Eagles: The very best of

DONNA!!! We have the same taste in music! :banana: SCARY!

Eagles- Greatest Hits Vol 2
Aretha Franklin Greatest Hits
Daughtry
Journey - Greatest Hits
Stevie Ray Vaughan - Greatest Hits
Slippery When Wet - Bon Jovi

knelson
October 11th, 2007, 11:53 AM
"If you got a notion, I'll second that emotion." - some motown artist. Please someone tell me. It escapes me at this moment.

The Miracles--or Smokey Robinson & The Miracles if you prefer...

Slippery When Wet - Bon Jovi

Say it ain't so! Now I'm picturing Beth with really big, teased hair :)

Slowswim
October 11th, 2007, 12:32 PM

So much for "Mom-ness being over rated". Case closed!:applaud:

shark
October 11th, 2007, 01:47 PM

Thank you very much. Now I have the image.

Many of you have a full media player on your desktop, that you get your ipod stuff from.? I'm just curious, I have 220G of music. I guess my question is "What's on your media player?"

swimr4life
October 11th, 2007, 02:42 PM

Say it ain't so! Now I'm picturing Beth with really big, teased hair :)

:rofl:

Not me.....I don't have enough hair to have "big hair"! No perms for me! If my hair had a slight curl to it, I was happy. I have baby fine hair.:shakeshead:

swimr4life
October 11th, 2007, 02:43 PM
So much for "Mom-ness being over rated". Case closed!:applaud:

:applaud: :thhbbb:

Lets hear it for "mom-ness"! :cheerleader:

swim4me
October 11th, 2007, 08:17 PM
:applaud: :thhbbb:

Lets hear it for "mom-ness"! :cheerleader:

Thanks Swimr4lifre and Slowswim. I still get teary when I hear the CD's. She is coming home tonight for the first time in three weeks. She said she is home-sick. She is sweet (and smart) and I can't wait to see her:bouncing:.

Slowswim
October 12th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Thanks Swimr4lifre and Slowswim. I still get teary when I hear the CD's. She is coming home tonight for the first time in three weeks. She said she is home-sick. She is sweet (and smart) and I can't wait to see her:bouncing:.

...and her laundry. Mom.:angel:

Leonard Jansen
October 12th, 2007, 04:06 PM

No - I thought that was just the guys that did that. At least it was that way when I was in college. Women actually have some self-respect and will wash their clothes when they start to move by themselves.

I went to an all-boys boarding school for high school and could tell some terrifying lack-of-washing stories.

-LBJ

Slowswim
October 12th, 2007, 05:14 PM
No - I thought that was just the guys that did that. At least it was that way when I was in college. Women actually have some self-respect and will wash their clothes when they start to move by themselves.

I went to an all-boys boarding school for high school and could tell some terrifying lack-of-washing stories.

-LBJ
From the stories I hear, the girls today are as bad as we were. If it true, I can't imagine what the boys are like.:bolt:

swim4me
October 12th, 2007, 08:12 PM

True, true, but luckily for me, the cleaning lady comes on Friday and not only my daughter's laundry, but mine was also done by the time I got home from work:banana:. (ok, ok, we are both spoiled :bolt:) (But sweet:angel:) Now it is Friday night, the household chores are complete and it is time to PLAY:fish2:. Just waiting for hubby to arrive, so the three of us can go to dinner.

Slowswim
October 15th, 2007, 10:06 AM
True, true, but luckily for me, the cleaning lady comes on Friday and not only my daughter's laundry, but mine was also done by the time I got home from work:banana:. (ok, ok, we are both spoiled :bolt:) (But sweet:angel:) Now it is Friday night, the household chores are complete and it is time to PLAY:fish2:. Just waiting for hubby to arrive, so the three of us can go to dinner.

I must be doing something wrong. I cook, do the dishes, the laundry, the yard work, take the garbage out and have to get up at 4:30am to :fish2: ! I need to renegotiate my married contract.:duel:

I'm sure after 23 years probably not much chance of that.:bitching:

Have fun with your daughter.:party2:

Blackbeard's Peg
October 18th, 2007, 03:23 PM
I'd like to update my cd changer...
I bought the new Alter Bridge (creed's musicians w/ a better singer) cd last week when it came out, and have been listening to it non-stop at home and in the car.

Josh Miller
October 18th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Ryan Adam

Neil Young

Kenny Chesney

Brad Paisley

knelson
October 20th, 2007, 01:11 AM
and Radiohead's new one which will be available next week by download only from their web site.

Had to self quote on this one :) The album, In Rainbows is outstanding. Anyone who's a Radiohead fan should get it. If you were a fan of OK Computer, but left cold by Kid A and Amnesiac, don't worry, because this new album leaves the weirdness of these behind.

http://www.inrainbows.com/

Swimmer Bill
October 20th, 2007, 12:19 PM
My CD changer has been empty since I got my first iPod, but the iPod has everything from Lily Allen to the Mills Brothers.

wolfie1961
October 22nd, 2007, 12:41 AM
A little Stevie Ray Vaughn, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and Rush is usually the standard in my player.

MichiganHusker
October 30th, 2007, 01:07 AM
A little off the main topic, but I just got done watching the 4 hour documentary about Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. It was extremely compelling and a must if you like Tom Petty.

It was on the Sundance channel and it just came out on DVD.

Has anyone else seen it yet?

aquageek
October 30th, 2007, 10:49 AM
XM Radio and the iPod have rendered my cd changer useless. I am currently enjoying the latest Interpol, Bloc Party and Arctic Monkeys releases. I have been very dissapointed with Band of Horses latest release, not nearly as good as the first one, not even close.

I'm also hooked on Fred on XM.

knelson
October 30th, 2007, 07:01 PM
I have been very dissapointed with Band of Horses latest release, not nearly as good as the first one, not even close.

I have their first one and like it. Are you a fan of My Morning Jacket, geek?

Got Boost
October 30th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Here are the ones I am currently running.

The Beatles 1967 - 1970 either disc
The Sex Pistols Never Mind the Bollocks
The Specials, The Specials
Metallica ....And Justice For All
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones Lets Face It

Got Boost

JimRude
October 31st, 2007, 02:08 PM
Here are the ones I am currently running.

The Beatles 1967 - 1970 either disc
The Sex Pistols Never Mind the Bollocks
The Specials, The Specials
Metallica ....And Justice For All
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones Lets Face It

Got Boost

The Specials! Outstanding!

"Much too much, much too young..."
"Naked woman, naked man, where did you get that nice suntan?!"

Classics!

knelson
October 31st, 2007, 02:58 PM
The Specials! Outstanding!

"Naked woman, naked man, where did you get that nice suntan?!"

Classics!

Just as good or better is I Just Can't Stop It by The (English) Beat. I liked it back in the '80s, but hadn't really listened to it in years when I found a CD of it at a garage sale a few years back. Incredible, shockingly consistent, debut LP.

gull
October 31st, 2007, 03:35 PM
Springsteen - Magic--his best since Born to Run.

Swimmer Bill
October 31st, 2007, 03:47 PM

As a bonified Specials junkie, I have to correct the lyric. It is:

"You done too much, much too young..."

So, anyone got the new Britney Spears? I hear she's the Eleanor Holm of today. If Holm was Britney's age today, I wonder if she'd be on The Soup as often...

scyfreestyler
October 31st, 2007, 03:51 PM
My avatar is a hint to many of the Top 25 songs played in my iPod.

scyfreestyler
October 31st, 2007, 03:55 PM
Springsteen - Magic--his best since Born to Run.

Downloaded that a few weeks ago and I will agree, it is pretty darn good.

Swimmer Bill
October 31st, 2007, 03:56 PM

Is that the guy from Maroon 5?

scyfreestyler
October 31st, 2007, 03:59 PM
No. But I am a big fan of Maroon 5.

scyfreestyler
October 31st, 2007, 04:01 PM
I'll give a hint, they are much bigger in Europe than they are in the US.

gull
October 31st, 2007, 04:09 PM
Downloaded that a few weeks ago and I will agree, it is pretty darn good.

Hard to pick a favorite cut, but I'd probably have to go with Gypsy Biker, which is as good as anything he's ever done.

Swimmer Bill
October 31st, 2007, 04:17 PM
I'll give a hint, they are much bigger in Europe than they are in the US.

David Hasselhoff?

scyfreestyler
October 31st, 2007, 04:41 PM
Very funnny Bill, but no.

Here's a valuable hint...Tribadism.

Swimmer Bill
October 31st, 2007, 05:07 PM
ewwwwwwww.....

Scissor Sisters?

scyfreestyler
October 31st, 2007, 05:54 PM
LOL!

That is the correct answer.

Swimmer Bill
October 31st, 2007, 06:18 PM
I was hoping it was a typo for "tribalism"

scyfreestyler
October 31st, 2007, 06:22 PM
I figured that would cross a few minds when reading my post.

I happened upon their music accidentally by following some obscure "you might also like" links on iTunes.

Howard Squirm
October 31st, 2007, 11:03 PM
Looks like a scene from Harry Potter.

ALM
November 1st, 2007, 01:16 AM
It's like you're all speaking a foreign language... I don't know any of those names.

Mine is a different list... Here are some of the more offbeat. Madeleine Peyroux, Vince Guaraldi, Kurt Elling, Modern Skirts, Bettye LaVette, Donald Fagen, Kelley Hunt (local but check her out - very good). And I'm a huge fan of Pat Metheny (probably 30 CDs).

Anna Lea

scyfreestyler
November 1st, 2007, 11:09 AM
I listen to some Donald Fagen. Steely Dan as well.

SwimStud
November 1st, 2007, 11:32 AM
I listen to some Donald Fagen. Steely Dan as well.

I don't have a changer but at the moment Def Leppard "Hysteria" is repeating...

newmastersswimmer
November 1st, 2007, 12:58 PM

hmmm...Well I guess you could say my avatar is a hint about what I listen to as well then.

Rob Copeland
November 1st, 2007, 01:13 PM
Robert Plant and Alison Krauss - Raising Sand

Blackbeard's Peg
November 1st, 2007, 02:07 PM
Robert Plant and Alison Krauss - Raising Sand

Rob - I am a huge Zeppelin fan, and a casual fan of the country genre... I have seen this cd in the stores and ads, but haven't heard anything about it. Could you perhaps provide a short review?

Rob Copeland
November 1st, 2007, 04:32 PM
Rob - I am a huge Zeppelin fan, and a casual fan of the country genre... I have seen this cd in the stores and ads, but haven't heard anything about it. Could you perhaps provide a short review?Awesome! Great vocals/harmonies and a wonderful blend of Zeppelin and traditional blue grass.

Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5KF4dKq-6I for interviews and snippets.

aquaFeisty
November 1st, 2007, 11:17 PM
here's what I WOULD put in my 6 CD changer if I could, off the top of my head:

Smash by the Offspring (all time fave)
Best of the Beautiful South
By the Way by the Red Hot Chili Peppers
Dial-A-Song by They Might Be Giants
Love Hope Sex Dreams by the Bodeans
Best of Jimmy Buffet (everyone needs something to sing along to on a long car ride...)

Donna, I think I own every CD you mentioned and would love to listen to your CD changer list! Yes, I will admit it, I still like Bon Jovi! In fact, I should dig around for my 9th grade school picture and post it so you all can see Big Hair Disease in action... :)

Sadly, are any of these in my car CD player? No. Currently, we listen to select songs from 'Meg's Disney Mix'... over and over andoverandoverandover...

could be worse though... could be Barney!

ALM
November 8th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Speaking of music, tonight in Kansas City Garth Brooks is doing his fourth of nine shows in our brand-new arena. They're all sold out - they sold something like 160,000 tickets in one day. The ninth concert is going to be simulcast live in movie theaters around the country.

Anna Lea

MichiganHusker
November 9th, 2007, 12:53 AM
Anna Lea, you are so lucky living in KC. Two of my favorite bands are local KC bands - The Elders and The Rainmakers.

PS - Congrats on the Kansas football massacre over the Huskers. I'm so glad I decided not to go to the game. :)

ALM
November 9th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Susan,

Ahh, the Rainmakers. I have a couple of their albums. Alas, they are no more, although I think at least one of them still performs around town with another group. The Elders are still going strong.

How do you know so much about KC?

And as for the football game, it was big news here. Nebraska had won something like 38 of their last 39 matchups. The bigger news is that Kansas is still undefeated and Missouri has only lost one game. AND, the Kansas-Missouri game this year is going to be played in Kansas City (halfway between the two schools), at Arrowhead Stadium, over Thanksgiving weekend.

Anna Lea

ViveBene
November 10th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Asleep at the Wheel, doing some Bob Wills tunes ("Stay All Night, Stay a Little Longer" -- that would actually be Wells-Duncan). Good for :coffee: when I have to stay UP all night.

Elly Ameling - gorgeous voice; I heard/saw her in person.

VB

MichiganHusker
November 11th, 2007, 01:22 AM
Susan,

Ahh, the Rainmakers. I have a couple of their albums. Alas, they are no more, although I think at least one of them still performs around town with another group. The Elders are still going strong.

How do you know so much about KC?

And as for the football game, it was big news here. Nebraska had won something like 38 of their last 39 matchups. The bigger news is that Kansas is still undefeated and Missouri has only lost one game. AND, the Kansas-Missouri game this year is going to be played in Kansas City (halfway between the two schools), at Arrowhead Stadium, over Thanksgiving weekend.

Anna Lea

Yes, Bob Walkenhorst, the former lead singer of the Rainmakers, plays accoustic weekly in some bar but I can't think of the name. He buys his music supplies from a friend of mine. He was telling my friend that he's a grandfather! Noooooo, it doesn't make me feel old!

My brother has lived in Lenexa since the mid 80s and I have been there a gazillion times for football games, baseball games, shopping, weddings, (not to mention the Lenexa BBQ contest) etc. Plus a bunch of my sorority sisters live in KC too. In college it was a fun weekend roadtrip from Lincoln (my hometown) back in the day when The Plaza had shops that you couldn't find anywhere else except NY, Chicago, etc.

MichiganHusker
November 11th, 2007, 01:24 AM
The new Steve Earle album "City of Immigrants" (yes, I still call them albums), is really good - probably one of his best.

ALM
November 11th, 2007, 03:03 PM
My brother has lived in Lenexa since the mid 80s and I have been there a gazillion times...

A gazillion? And you've never called me to take you to swim practice? Next time...

Anna Lea

MichiganHusker
November 13th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Anna Lea, you've got a deal! :fish2:

Blackbeard's Peg
January 4th, 2008, 12:43 AM
:bump: here i go bumping my own thread.
the blue muppet bought me the Led Zeppelin and Daughtry CDs for christmas. all that rock has got the cd player fired up and has also coincidentally also led to an increase in guitar usage as well.