October 4th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Don't give my coach any ideas. . .

:drown:

you just talk the talk...

...apparently
:kiss1:

CreamPuff
October 4th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Time to dust of the hooker heels and start walking the walk!
:rofl:

SwimStud
October 4th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Time to dust of the hooker heels and start walking the walk!
:rofl:
Hey now that's an unfair distraction...

CreamPuff
October 4th, 2007, 03:10 PM
It's been a bad day already. I hope I don't get thrown off this board for inappropriate dress.

SwimStud
October 4th, 2007, 03:40 PM
It's been a bad day already. I hope I don't get thrown off this board for inappropriate dress.
I think we need a "prom dress" and those shoes photo....

CreamPuff
October 4th, 2007, 03:44 PM
I think we need a "prom dress" and those shoes photo....

That's another forum.

Back to the topic at hand, Brittney Spears would not get away training her kids like that. . .

ALM
October 4th, 2007, 04:06 PM
This quote pretty much sums it up:

"Mr Huang, a teacher who enjoys swimming, trains his daughter himself and said the family does not have enough money for her to have a better coach."

-

geochuck
October 4th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Not only crazy parent coaches in China. Have you ever been to kids baseball or hockey practice in Canada or the USA.

CreamPuff
October 4th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Not only crazy parent coaches in China. Have you ever been to kids baseball or hocket practice in Canada or the USA.

Ditto for gymnastics and ballet in parts of the USA. And that kind of craziness was going on when I was growing up in the '70s. Little girls, stage moms, sequins, makeup, and live performances are a toxic mix.

TomBrooklyn
October 4th, 2007, 08:41 PM
The article says: "With the Beijing Olympics less than a year away, sport is grabbing greater attention in an already sports-crazed country."

I live in Brooklyn, NY's Chinatown and oddly, it seems to me at least, every Chinese American I've brought up the Bejing Olympics with doesn't seem to give a hoot about it. The only things they are obsessed with as far as I can tell are working and gambling.

craiglll@yahoo.com
October 7th, 2007, 03:13 PM
I live in a town with a large univerisyt. There are many chinese who swim where I do. I'm really amazed at how drive many of the parents aare to get their kids to swim. They scream and order the kids around the lanes & almsot get to the point where they hit them. It is really amazing. always thought the parent is ussually inthe water with the kid swimmign.

One guy I hate to have him come into my lane because he gets intot he lane without telling me & thn his daughter gets inthe lane. They swim down the center and act like I'm the one intheir way. I bring it up to them that at least they should tell me when they enter the lane or share it. the fahter acts as if he can't speak English but somehow he is a professor at the Univerisyt. I pity his students.

Thursday, a mother was standing at the edge of the pool screaming at her son (probably 6 to 8 yrs old). she had a stop watch and he wasn't going fast enough for her.

I was a Chicnese history major in college. I took some Chinese. I think she was calling the child a donkey clown.

geochuck
October 7th, 2007, 04:32 PM
I have a lot of Chinese clients, they really want the best for their children.

quicksilver
October 7th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Granted this was a very odd thing...but some of the nicest people I have ever met are from China.

Tree
October 8th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Granted this was a very odd thing...but some of the nicest people I have ever met are from China.

Frankly speaking, I found this statement was quite offensive, which sort of implied all the Chinese or the majority of the Chinese were bad, or were not nice, or were supposed to be not nice. But I might get you wrong since English is not my native language.

Syd
October 8th, 2007, 02:32 AM
Frankly speaking, I found this statement was quite offensive, which sort of implied all the Chinese or the majority of the Chinese were bad, or were not nice, or were supposed to be not nice. But I might get you wrong since English is not my native language.

Quite agree. It was a thoughtless and condescending statement to make. However, (and I am sure Quicksilver is quite capable of speaking for herself/himself) I am guessing no harm was meant here.

By the way....I know some nice Americans, too...:D

Syd

Tree
October 8th, 2007, 03:39 AM
Quite agree. It was a thoughtless and condescending statement to make. However, (and I am sure Quicksilver is quite capable of speaking for herself/himself) I am guessing no harm was meant here.

By the way....I know some nice Americans, too...:D

Syd

No harm at all. I came here very frequently though I always chose to log in anonymously. I have got many help from the participants here including Quicksilver by reading their posts or directly asking them questions. Really nice and nice people don't do harm things.:D

One thing I think very important is that we should treat each person on an individual basis irrespective of his/her background. Variety is always there. I used to work for an American here who I dont think can be called nice(even my American colleagues agreed with me on this one). I also have worked with an American who is really nice. But I cannot draw my conclusion on what the general American public is like only based on those two, can I? The same rule applied when I was in England, when I was working with my French and German colleagues.

Tree
October 8th, 2007, 04:23 AM
http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-1286981,00.html

One thing I want to add is this kind of thing is rare here. Chinese parents are indeed very demanding(I think a major part of it is because our traditional culture tell parents to be strict with their children) but most of them are becoming more and more considerate now and I don't think many would agree with what this father does to his daughter. As Geroge pointed it out it happened everywhere. So please do not title it with MORE this kind of words.

TomBrooklyn
October 8th, 2007, 05:32 AM
Some of the people on this forum are nice, too! :)

SwimStud
October 8th, 2007, 08:02 AM
One thing I want to add is this kind of thing is rare here. Chinese parents are indeed very demanding(I think a major part of it is because our traditional culture tell parents to be strict with their children) but most of them are becoming more and more considerate now and I don't think many would agree with what this father does to his daughter. As Geroge pointed it out it happened everywhere. So please do not title it with MORE this kind of words.

Sorry you find it offensive but it was a video with a strange training method, in China. It was not slanderous or racist.

If it had said:
"Look at all the crazy Chinese people and how they train their kids!" That would be racist and blanketing everyone.

I did not say anything other than the fact that it was odd and from China. I will be sure to post anything remotely as STUPID as binding your kids feet and a hands and tossing them in the water under the same ODD category, regardless of nationality. If I can find the story about the American woman letting her kid smear honey on her hand to feed a wild bear...I will post that under the catergory of more ODD news too. This just happened to be about swimming.

The "more" part refers to the fact that this isn't the first odd thing we saw from China (or anywhere for that matter) in the run-up for the olympics. Like the girl being forced to run some crazy amount of mileage for an 8 year old. So it was MORE oddity, and just so happens to be from China.

Sorry you feel aggrieved. I took "More" out of the title for you. Now it just says "Odd training from China" does that work for you, or are you still willing to infer I am a racist?

SwimStud
October 8th, 2007, 08:21 AM
ack I can't be bothered.

geochuck
October 8th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Abuse we see it everyday I am surprised no one mentioned this attack on a girl who was out past he regulated bed time 7:21 pm in a little bit of police brutality.
http://www.talkleft.com/story/2007/10/5/172241/181

Stud, I know you did not mean your post to be racist. Abuse happens every where.

SwimStud
October 8th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Abuse we see it everyday I am surprised no one mentioned this attack on a girl who was out past he regulated bed time 7:21 pm in a little bit of police brutality.
http://www.talkleft.com/story/2007/10/5/172241/181

Stud, I know you did not mean your post to be racist. Abuse happens every where.

Without seeing what else happened before and after tough to make a full judgement...hard to watch but hey...I don't think you can resist arrest and bite a (assault) cop for free, whatever age you are. I'd be pissed at my kid a) for getting busted and b) mouthing off and not complying.

geochuck
October 8th, 2007, 10:16 AM
You are right Stud and all this because she was out after 7:21pm by-law curfew.

When I was a cop the curfew was 9 pm we asked their name, address where they lived and gave the kid a ticket.

quicksilver
October 8th, 2007, 10:26 AM

Very sorry that you read into something which was certainly not intended!
The article had a negative tone. I was stating that the opposite was true.

SwimStud
October 8th, 2007, 10:32 AM
You are right Stud and all this because she was out after 7:21pm by-law curfew.

When I was a cop the curfew was 9 pm we asked their name, address where they lived and gave the kid a ticket.

When I was the son of a cop, he would tell me countless tales of how parents didn't give a crap what their kids did. How he took kids home w/o arrests and hoped to see some parental displeasure at what the kid did. He also singlehandedly got to fight 6 skinheads on a underground platform with his bare hands while several members of the "grateful public" watched on. Oh, while we're at it, he also had a double barrel shotgun put under his chin as he walked into a shop robbery one night. You're right though, it's the right of person the police officer is trying to arrest to wrestle, argue, bite, kick, shoot, stab and generally fight with the authority of the land.

My point is that the cop didn't make the law, he is there to enforce it--whether it's stupid or archaic or whatever. I don't know what the full ins and outs of this case or the laws surrounding curfew are, and why they are in place. I just saw a video of someone resiting arrest and biting an officer of the law.

Maybe this kid is a known trouble maker and has the curfew as a punishment for previous offences--maybe she isn't? She clearly thought she had the right to resist and got roughly cuffed and peppergassed for her trouble. Much easier to comply and sort it out at the station.

I wouldn't be happy with my kid bringing this sort of grief on themselves. I just don't like these snapshot videos without any background on the person or situation. Can't complain about the state of disrespect and lack of responsiblity in society and then cry because the laws are toughening up. The days of cops saying "I'll tell your father sonny-boy!" are well gone.Try it now and most likely the kids would probably piss their pants laughing at you.

What is this to do with swimming anyhow?

TomBrooklyn
October 8th, 2007, 10:34 AM
One thing I think very important is that we should treat each person on an individual basis irrespective of his/her background.
This kind of thinking is sub-optimal to the purpose of knowing and understanding people because various races, nationalities and cultures have various general characteristics which would be ignored by using your logic exclusively.

Not only is it sub-optimal, it is contemptous to ignore the cultural differences between various peoples. Unfortunately, it is also rampant in America in these Slave and Civil Rights Apologist days--and it's frequently couched in pompous, self-lauding clap trap like "supporting equality."

geochuck
October 8th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Stud so many ifs there. In our town a curfew violater had to appear in court with their parents, and a fine levied. The fine increased every time they appeared and both parents had to be in the court room.

I doubt they do the same thing now. I don't even think they enforce curfews in Canada now.

geochuck
October 8th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Tom, Tom , Tom, I can see you are not a liberal.

SwimStud
October 8th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Stud so many ifs there. In our town a curfew violater had to appear in court with their parents, and a fine levied. The fine increased every time they appeared and both parents had to be in the court room.

I doubt they do the same thing now. I don't even think they enforce curfews in Canada now.

What ifs? That he repeatedly told her to stop resisting?
That she bit him? No ifs there.
I'd like to have seen everything that happened but we don't have that knowledge. With that said, there is nothing to prove she is a career criminal or that the cop was too rough. It's just a sad indictment of society to have to see it.

geochuck
October 8th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Nothing to prove the cop is a career abuser either.

ensignada
October 8th, 2007, 11:49 AM
deleted

Decided I don't care enough.

geochuck
October 8th, 2007, 11:56 AM
We will never know, it is called coverup. She is supposed to be in court today???

I think the cop is a creep. He sprayed her after she had been punched in the head and had given up.

He wins the swastika award as far as I am concerned.

To me police brutality all the way.

CreamPuff
October 8th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Uh. I do what cops tell me to do. Appeared she ignored direction, totally resisted, and bit the guy. A human bite can be the most dangerous of all bites. Police put their lives on the line each day, and they don't know what kind of drug addicts and criminals they could be dealing with. Then, consider what they don't get paid. Maybe she'll follow directions next time.

TomBrooklyn
October 8th, 2007, 01:54 PM
He wins the swastika award as far as I am concerned.
Godwin's Law, manifest.

Rob Copeland
October 8th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Godwin's Law, manifest.What???? You mean the incompetent use of force by a police officer isn’t on par with Nazi atrocities?

And speaking of use of force; please note this is a “swimming related thread” either return to swimming related conversations or else…

geochuck
October 8th, 2007, 05:35 PM
I shall retun - I know this video has been seen before father coach attacks daughter http://www.vidmax.com/index.php/videos/view/1192

Syd
October 9th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Sorry you find it offensive but it was a video with a strange training method, in China. It was not slanderous or racist.

Whoa Stud, no one mentioned the 'R' word until you did.

If it had said:
"Look at all the crazy Chinese people and how they train their kids!" That would be racist and blanketing everyone.

It impled this.

Training or Torture? Girl tied up to swim. Sky News [World News]

Father ties up girl to 'help' training.

China's current obsession with sporting excellence is in the spotlight once more after a father tied his 10-year-old daughter's hands and feet and watched her swim in a chilly river for three hours.

Those statements are all 'loaded'.

I did not say anything other than the fact that it was odd and from China. I will be sure to post anything remotely as STUPID as binding your kids feet and a hands and tossing them in the water under the same ODD category, regardless of nationality. If I can find the story about the American woman letting her kid smear honey on her hand to feed a wild bear...I will post that under the catergory of more ODD news too. This just happened to be about swimming.

Just be sure to add the nationality of the offender. We all want to know where they are from geographically. As if it matters.

The "more" part refers to the fact that this isn't the first odd thing we saw from China (or anywhere for that matter) in the run-up for the olympics. Like the girl being forced to run some crazy amount of mileage for an 8 year old. So it was MORE oddity, and just so happens to be from China.

It is just the more part that implies some sort of a precedent has been set already. You only referred to one other example i.e. the 8 year old runner. 'More' is an exaggeration and it reads like a sensationalistic headline. And 'more' and 'China' together is trying to say something about China whatever way you look at it. What if someone started a thread about "More police brutality in America"? Would that be okay? because I can find plenty of instances of that.

Sorry you feel aggrieved. I took "More" out of the title for you. Now it just says "Odd training from China" does that work for you, or are you still willing to infer I am a racist?

Quite frankly, I wouldn't have inferred anything until I read your comments on the video clip George posted. It's quite obvious where you stand on that one. I appreciate your sympathies for the cop (being the son of a cop) but I thought it would be plain for all to see that the girl is not deliberately resisting arrest but rather scared **SH**LESS**. She is only 15 years old for crying out aloud. Anyone who works with kids could see that she is not being beligerent but rather panicking. I am sure if she were your daughter, you would recognise that.

Oddly, though, you imply that until you know the full story you reserve judgement. Couldn't you afford the same respect to the story you posted. There isn't even a video tape of this one yet you call it "STUPID". I don't want to go into the specifics of the video because, like you, I don't know the background and am willing to concede that there are two sides to the story. I could equally infer from the article that the father loves his daughter. So what do I do? I reserve judgement until I am better informed and am careful not to think up sensational thread titles that might offend people.

Syd

Tree
October 9th, 2007, 02:38 AM
I suggest we stop here as it becomes unrelated to the swimming subject. Let's bring the fight underground now. :duel:

SwimStud
October 9th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Yup all you apologists are right!