PDA

View Full Version : Why I am a bone head

pwolf66
October 4th, 2007, 11:30 PM
But first the best news of the day.

I JUST FINISHED MY FIRST FULL (i.e no hanging on the wall, waiting to die) PRACTICE!!!! Woot. Did it in less than my goal of 4 weeks, 2.7 weeks.

Now for the boneheaded part (aka why I made a full practice)

1) Kept the pace down. Ego was trying to swim in my place.
2) STOPPED HOLDING MY DARN BREATH. Kinda hard to get good oxygen flow when you are exhaling at the same time you're trying to inhale. Exhale WHILE underwater dummy. Works much better that way. Geez.
3) Bilateral breathing. Realized I was breathing to the left the whole time. Worked on a three stroke left-right pattern. Gonna take a lotta work to break this pattern but I'm gonna do it.

But I feel great.

Since I started on Saturday, 15 September, I :

1) Have lost 7 pounds
2) Have dropped my resting heart rate from 80 to 68.
3) have much better 'wind' and run up flights of stairs now.
4) smell like chlorine all the time and LOVE it.
5) Haven't had a tension headache.
6) Have bruises under my eyes from my goggles
7) still hate breaststroke
8) think anything over 100, is still considered 'distance'
9) Can't wait for the 28th, my first meet in 18 years.

Paul

ALM
October 4th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Congratulations!

Don't be too hard on yourself about the bilateral breathing. It took me at least a year to make it a habit. A lot of swimmers never learn it. One thing that helped me was to work on it while using pull buoys - they kept me riding higher in the water, which made it easier to breathe on my "off" side.

Anna Lea

Blackbeard's Peg
October 5th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Paul, way to go, o neighbor to the north!
For the bilateral breathing, I wasn't much of one until my first Masters coach pulled me aside one day and aside from berating me about swimming in lane 4 when I should have been in lane 2, she said there was no reason that someone of my age (then) shouldn't be doing bilateral breathing. It took a lot of testing, but I found that one of the best ways to get it engrained in my head was to swim an entire practice breathing to that off side. I did that for about a week, and next thing you know, I'm bilateral breathing on a regular basis. I'm a big fan of the 3/2/3/2 pattern for a 500.

cathlaur
October 5th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Paul

Good for you.

I started swimming on September 7th so I hear ya. LOL

I can bilateral breathe but my problem is I dont have the oxygen to do a flip turn all the time. So I am going to have to work on that.

Congrats on all your accomplishments. How many days are you swimming.

I am doing 4 mornings. I am often sore and very tired.

I am not sure about weightloss but my pants fit much better so that is good.

I can keep up with all the good swimmers when we do sprint drills. But I lag waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy behind in long distance swims. I am just not there cardiovasularly ( not sure if that is a word LOL) yet

Katie

pwolf66
October 5th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Paul

I can bilateral breathe but my problem is I dont have the oxygen to do a flip turn all the time. So I am going to have to work on that.

I am doing 4 mornings. I am often sore and very tired.

I am not sure about weightloss but my pants fit much better so that is good.

I can keep up with all the good swimmers when we do sprint drills. But I lag waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy behind in long distance swims. I am just not there cardiovasularly ( not sure if that is a word LOL) yet

Katie

Katie,

My goal is 4 days a week, this week will only be three :(.

Are you exhaling while your head is still underwater? I was also having similar problems with feeling starved for air doing flip turns but once I really started to concentrate on exhaling, I started to feel more replenished on the inhales. Next time you swim, focus on that and I think you might be surprised.

Paul

ensignada
October 5th, 2007, 09:40 AM
You can search the forums for help on bilateral breathing. I learned it because my stroke was so lopsided and my strong arm was aching. I got some good suggestions in:

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=8186&highlight=bilateral+breathing

Like Blackbeard said, breathing only to your weak side makes that side (1) stronger and (2) less wierd!

Congrats on all!