PDA

View Full Version : How to persuade spouse you must go to a meet?

The Fortress
October 5th, 2007, 12:20 PM
I'm seeking creative ideas on how to persuade my spouse that I simply must go to a travel meet in December. He didn't quite make vomit noises when I mentioned it, but looked a bit (not unduly) irritated/bewildered/annoyed by my desire to compete in meets. (He hasn't raced much lately.) The timing was likewise unappealing. Any thoughts?

I was contemplating calling my mother and begging for a visit.

Stillhere
October 5th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Be exactly like the Nike add.....

Just do it!:D

scyfreestyler
October 5th, 2007, 12:30 PM
If he is genuinely irritated by the idea of your travel meet, then you should not press the issue. Put yourself in his shoes before you ask again would be my advice. Aside from that, consider a compromise of sorts. You go to the meet and he gets something that he has been wanting to do..or buy him a new M5.

The Fortress
October 5th, 2007, 12:33 PM
If he is genuinely irritated by the idea of your travel meet, then you should not press the issue. Put yourself in his shoes before you ask again would be my advice. Aside from that, consider a compromise of sorts. You go to the meet and he gets something that he has been wanting to do..or buy him a new M5.

He has a cool car. He is also going to the Head of the Charles in Boston in October sans family.

Rocky: Can't just blast off and "do it" with the 3 kids, however tempting that seems at times.

Hmmm.....

Leonard Jansen
October 5th, 2007, 12:51 PM
"Not tonight,dear, I have a headache." Repeat until submission.

-LBJ

jim clemmons
October 5th, 2007, 12:51 PM
He is also going to the Head of the Charles in Boston in October sans family.

Rocky: Can't just blast off and "do it" with the 3 kids, however tempting that seems at times.

Hmmm.....

What goes around, comes around.

He goes to Head of the Charles (whatever the heck that is) regatta - I looked it up, and you get to go to the meet. I'll bet your paycheck there is more beverage consumption at his deal than there will be at yours.

aquageek
October 5th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Tell him if you can't work it out that he'll have to drive your mini-van for the next year so you can drive his cool car.

scyfreestyler
October 5th, 2007, 01:00 PM

-LBJ

Very nice! :D

smontanaro
October 5th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Can't just blast off and "do it" with the 3 kids, however tempting that seems at times.

Wave that new negligee under his nose, tell him you're packing it and that you booked two rooms, one for the kids... :D

Skip

scyfreestyler
October 5th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Wave that new negligee under his nose, tell him you're packing it and that you booked two rooms, one for the kids... :D

Skip

And if he's not there to enjoy it, somebody else just might.

tjburk
October 5th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Unfortunately, I have to emphathize with you on this one.....my wife does not understand the need for competing....AT ALL.....It's a complete waste of time to her. Although, if it's an away meet and she gets to fly there with me and it's a cool place to go.....it's OK:frustrated::frustrated::censor::censor:

Slowswim
October 5th, 2007, 01:43 PM

-LBJ

This one has worked for centuries!!:rofl:

cathlaur
October 5th, 2007, 01:49 PM
HMMMMMMMMMMMM

How far away is the travel meet? Is it because it costs money or just because he does not think you should be doing swim meets?

To be honest I had not even considered what my spouse would think once I am up to a meet. I plan on just telling him and if for sommmmmeeeeeeeeee unexpected reason ( like I get pretty good:D) and I ever made provincials, I would expect that he would support me. I work fulltime, birthed his two gorgeous daughters, had thyroid cancer and am now swimming at 4:45 am. I really dont think it would be a problem LOL.

Every relationship is so different. But if he is doing his own thing like going to the regatta ................... um as someone said here just do it.

I guess you have to do what you are comfortable with. Perhaps he could go with you and leave the kids at home and he could see what a meet is all about.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Katie

Slowswim
October 5th, 2007, 01:55 PM
This one has worked for centuries!!:rofl:

Oh wait, I'm rooting for the wrong team.:mad: I've been on the receiving end of this.:frustrated: :cry::whiteflag:

;)

BillS
October 5th, 2007, 01:55 PM
C'mon, guys, this is too easy . . . we all know the way for a woman to get what she wants from a man, and it ain't shopping or food.

Don't withhold; deliver. Deliver until he's reduced to a whimpering, quivering wreck of his former self, cowering in a fetal position in the corner and moaning "sorry, hon, I just can't right now. Maybe after you get back from that three day meet thingie or whatever or something, but please just not right now. I'll watch the kids, don't worry, please just go now."

tjburk
October 5th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Now that thar is funny.....I don't care who you are...that's funny.....:lmao:

C'mon, guys, this is too easy . . . we all know the way for a woman to get what she wants from a man, and it ain't shopping or food.

Don't withhold; deliver. Deliver until he's reduced to a whimpering, quivering wreck of his former self, cowering in a fetal position in the corner and moaning "sorry, hon, I just can't right now. Maybe after you get back from that three day meet thingie or whatever or something, but please just not right now. I'll watch the kids, don't worry, please just go now."

TomBrooklyn
October 5th, 2007, 04:07 PM
The fact is you don't need to go to that meet, you want to go the meet. Perhaps rephrashing it in this more accurate manner might help.

If you are under the impression that you actually do need to go the meet, see "Taming Your Gremlin" for your own self aggrandizement.

some_girl
October 5th, 2007, 04:11 PM
If he is going away, then I don't see how he has a leg stand on. Besides, you MUST come; it would be so fun! I can write you a note ...

The Fortress
October 5th, 2007, 04:16 PM

Naturally, this had occured to me. :lolup:

Thanks for the responses, guys. I was hoping to attend the two day (perfectly willing to skip the 800 free on Friday night) NE SCM champs in Boston, a city I love. Can't go to closer Colonies Zones meet because of kids' meets/races on preceeding weekends. I think he just thinks it's toooo close to xmas. He's been to masters meets, Katie, and even traveled to some. He knows how boring they can be for non-swimmers, and I don't want to haul the whole family along (although my 13 year old has expressed an interest in attending).

I think I will attempt to follow the LBJ/BillS advice, and play the trump card of the Charles regatta. He also hauled off to NCAA finals not too long ago. He just doesn't get that I'd rather go to a swim meet than the spa with the girls.

Geek: I do not drive a mini-van. :shakeshead:

Tom: I would never phrase it as "have" to go. I told him quite honestly that I wanted to go. I'm dying to do a SCM meet. Then I could also meet some_girl. I don't think angrandizement is a word though, and that is not my issue, thank you!

Slowswim
October 5th, 2007, 04:21 PM

Bill:

Did Mr Fort pay you to write this??:laugh2:

knelson
October 5th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Don't withhold; deliver.

Have you been in contact with Mr Fort? It sounds like the two of you are in cahoots. :)

The question is what does he object to? Is it the fact he'll have to be Mr. Mom for the couple days you're away? If so, I think you've got the upper hand on this one.

Jeff Commings
October 5th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Luckily my spouse is a swimmer, so I don't have to go through these fights.

The Fortress
October 5th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Luckily my spouse is a swimmer, so I don't have to go through these fights.

Yes, Muppet has the right idea too with his masters swimmer GF. It wasn't a "fight" at all. I just mentioned it, and noted lack of enthusiasm.

Kirk:

I think it's partially that he remembers last December -- very schedule hellish with 2 prelim final swim meets, a meet of mine at U of Md (apparently not happening this year) and cross country junior nats in Washington. All before the holidays. This year, our schedule is much easier. Being Mr. Mom is not that easy, but, yeah, I don't have much sympathy on that score.

islandsox
October 5th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Well, I'm glad I'm married to a man that just wants me to do anything I want to do, travel included, that makes me happy. He is a non-swimmer but knows that water and swimming are my life and has been my life since age 7 or 8. And he's more than happy to let me fly anywhere to attend a swim function. The reason is this: if I'm happy, then he'll be happy. And this philosophy also works both ways. He wanted to go to the Indy 500 with his brother from California but didn't want to leave me alone. I helped him pack and happily drove him to the airport.

The bottom line here was this: we want to make one another happy and sometimes that means doing things separately because we don't share the same love for one another's interests.

:cheerleader:

CreamPuff
October 5th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Well, I'm glad I'm married to a man that just wants me to do anything I want to do, travel included, that makes me happy. He is a non-swimmer but knows that water and swimming are my life and has been my life since age 7 or 8. And he's more than happy to let me fly anywhere to attend a swim function. The reason is this: if I'm happy, then he'll be happy. And this philosophy also works both ways. He wanted to go to the Indy 500 with his brother from California but didn't want to leave me alone. I helped him pack and happily drove him to the airport.

The bottom line here was this: we want to make one another happy and sometimes that means doing things separately because we don't share the same love for one another's interests.

So cool Donna. Ditto for me too. Married a nonswimmer, but he goes with me to all my travel meets. I'm guessing that this could change the longer we are together (been together 10 yrs). . . I hope not! But your story reminds me of the saying - A Happy Wife Makes for a Happy Life.

The Fortress
October 5th, 2007, 05:28 PM

And this theory is why I'm betting I will go! We'll see.

But, er, "just wants you to do anything you want to do"?! Hmmm.... anything? (I would also note that you two are kid-less and therefore different rules apply. :mooning: :thhbbb: :wine: )

CreamPuff
October 5th, 2007, 05:41 PM
And this theory is why I'm betting I will go! We'll see.

But, er, "just wants you to do anything you want to do"?! Hmmm.... anything? (I would also note that you two are kid-less and therefore different rules apply.)

Fort, I think you will be able to go!! :cheerleader: Let us know how it works out.

Yea. Kid-less. And the being able to "do anything" can be a curse at times in our land of excess.
I think that's another major reason as to why I swim. Keeps me grounded, disciplined. It's a bit of a reality check. Last I checked a stellar swim won't just fall into my lap. Too bad! :D

The Fortress
October 5th, 2007, 06:13 PM
the being able to "do anything" can be a curse at times in our land of excess. I think that's another major reason as to why I swim. Keeps me grounded, disciplined. It's a bit of a reality check. Last I checked a stellar swim won't just fall into my lap. Too bad! :D

How true! I think a lot of stellar swims are in your future though. :banana:

ensignada
October 5th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Fort, don't remember when or where I mentioned this, but Dana said that the SCM meet near me in late Jan/early Feb is well run. I just don't know what level of competition you'd find, but Dana would.

I haven't had this problem (yet) as Mr. Ensignada is thrilled I've found something I like. Plus, in the back of his mind, he knows how many conferences of his I've stayed home with a young child for, including the one he took 2 years ago to Hawaii, where he called me from his oceanfront balcony to ask if I could hear the waves. Oh, yeah. I gotta lotta meets comin' to me.

Allen Stark
October 5th, 2007, 08:19 PM
This is an interesting and important question.I can think of 3 approaches to take.
1) Rational: I'll take the 12 year old,our son is big enough to take care of himself.All you have to do is care for the youngest and she's no trouble at all.You'll have fun.
2) Bargaining: You want to go to that (whatever) so it's only fair that I get to go to the meet.
3)Fait Accompli:I have this swim meet coming up and I wanted to give you enough time to plan how you're going to handle the kids.
Good Luck.If this is your only chance to swim SCM then you HAVE to go.
I have an inducement to get him to want to come to Oregon in Aug. The Hood to Coast run will be around the time of Nats so they could come for that too.

quicksilver
October 5th, 2007, 09:09 PM

Very nice. We share the same philosophy.

My wife isn't much of a swimming fan...and likewise I can't be dragged into a dance studio...unless there was a buffet involved.

Kids make the traveling however a little bit of a challenge as far as the away meets.
My usms meet experiences have been strictly local.

Blackbeard's Peg
October 5th, 2007, 09:14 PM
fort, i don't think i am going to that meet. i can babysit :):banana:

Maui Mike
October 5th, 2007, 10:08 PM
I took 35 year break from swimming and spent a couple decades of that time racing outrigger canoes. Guys got a little too serious about the sport and we'd occassionaly have a teammate get "wifed." But as the women's side of the sport grew, the gals got just as competitive and serious. And when their spouse was less than understanding the phrase evolved, somewhat, into "she got wifed."

SwimStud
October 5th, 2007, 10:24 PM
fort, i don't think i am going to that meet. i can babysit :):banana:
Will there be Yeunglings at the party?

The Fortress
October 5th, 2007, 10:53 PM
My usms meet experiences have been strictly local.

Me too this year. Mr. Fort very helpfully suggested that I might swim in the Tom Dolan meet the weekend before with Mini-Fort. I told him I was way too slow and couldn't make any of the QTs. But I will cheer for Jeff Roddin.

If Peg and Stud want to babysit on Friday whilst I'm hopefully flying to Boston, that'd be lovely. Don't let Fortson have any of those yeunglings please.

Don't think I've been "wifed" yet Maui Mike, but I will remember that phrase!

cathlaur
October 6th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Fort your hubby sounds like a good man. It will happen. I am a believer in if it is meant to be it will happen. If not this time next time.

Can I ask how old you are , when you started swimming again and how old your kids are. OKAY I SOUND REALLY NOSEY LOL LOL:lmao:

I just saw that you have a 13 year old. I have a 12 year old dd and my other dd will be 14 next Friday. So I wondered about you as I just started swimming in September. I am truly loving it. In some ways I am doing better than I thought I would, in other ways I am not. I am losing inches in my hips and back but not the blasted tummy yet. I have not eaten great yet as we were away last weekend for a wedding and this weekend is our Canadian Thanksgiving. Come Tuesday I will incorporate the food and training.

I am not sure when I will be ready for a meet. Maybe in the spring.

My hubby is not a strong swimmer at all. I know he will not be at all the meets I eventually go to but that is okay. I think he is proud that I am doing this for me. It has been a long time where I really committed to something just for me.

Let us know if you are going to the meet

Katie

The Fortress
October 6th, 2007, 11:59 AM
Katie:

Thanks so much for the good wishes. Mr. Fort is a very good man, usually very supportive. As a runner, though, he just thinks swimming takes a blasted long time: workouts are longers, you have to spend time driving to the pool, meets are longer than running races, meets aren't always local, etc. But he and the kids are proud of me.

I am 46. I started masters swimming and competing at 44. My first meet was in October 2005, and I was very nervous! My kids all aged up in August and are now 15, 13, and 7. The older two do very time consuming endurance sports and the younger one is pretty active. So we're really busy, like many folks.

I fully understand and empathize with your comment about committing to do something for yourself. Although I exercised fairly regularly during my non-swimming years, it's easy to feel like you are DFL in everyone else's priority list. And a re-prioritization is usually a good thing, especially when your kids become teenagers, are more independent and, well, are not always fun to be around. So you go girl! :cheerleader: (Oh, I'd add some running for that tummy issue. Or use a monofin!)

quicksilver
October 6th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Getting "wifed"... now that's funny. (Well not really.)...just never heard it put that way.

Honestly, supporting a healthy lifestyle of one's spouse should be encouraged. My family knows how much I enjoy the water...and letting me disappear for few hours into the surf or the pool is good medicine.

At the end of the day it takes a swimmer to know one. We are unique in our desire to congregate for hours on end ...in often stuffy chlorinated buildings ...waiting patiently for the next opportunity to get on the blocks and inflict some more pain. And along with that fleeting moment, comes exhilaration which can last for a very long time...especially if it's a personal best...or arrival at a long term goal.

Pure healthy fun.

chaos
October 6th, 2007, 09:19 PM
i feel lucky that my wife enjoys joining me on the ow tour. pool events are another story. clare actually swam her first ow this year at coney island. a great event that offered several waves (masters, citizen, wet suit etc) and as such had a large number of participants.
many of the swimmers that clare got to know throught the years were very encouraging and a good time was had by all.

maybe the thing to do is find an event that you both can participate in.

i just noticed that stud and muppets avatars are bookends......weird.

dorothyrde
October 6th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Awwww, I thought Fort was the same age as me, and an August b-day right? Now I sound like a stalker, but there was a quiz on here for songs the week you were born and we had the same song.

I had my kids earlier though, 19 and 14.

When the 19 year old was into age group swimming, we had a few years where December held pre-lim final meets, or big meets in Indy. While the meets were good, and he swam well, we both decided that it just made December too crazy. Now I will not do a travel meet in December, and have not for about 6 years. Much nicer, and my daughter is very happy with that. She trains through December, and then goes to a meet the first weekend in January.

As for me, I would like to go to meets, but myself cannot justify the expense, or time to drive 2 hours + on weekends that are already packed with family stuff. I figure I will be patient, because in 4 short years DD will be in college and I will have an empty house(maybe).

The Fortress
October 6th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Awwww, I thought Fort was the same age as me, and an August b-day right? Now I sound like a stalker, but there was a quiz on here for songs the week you were born and we had the same song.

I have decided upon implementation of Allen Stark #2 and #3! As further support, I will observe that I skipped many local masters meets this year, as the Muppets can attest, for family-packed weekends. I only ask for 4-5 meets per year. I'm not at my limit yet!

Dorothy, I'm a month older with a July birthday. You young chick. I put off having kids for a career for awhile.

Dave:

We have done aquathlon relays together. Mr. Fort likes the OW, not necessarily for racing though. I have done running races with him in my running days. But I unfortunately am not an OW fan. Don't need the big chop with my shoulders. And my summer is WAY too busy for the OW season. Now, if we're talking Eleuthera some day, maybe ....

Blackbeard's Peg
October 6th, 2007, 10:45 PM
i just noticed that stud and muppets avatars are bookends......weird.

Yeah, I was up first :) Unfortunately, I think stud and I have switched body types, as my injury hasn't helped maintain that physique. Welcome back, David- we've missed you this summer!

Back to the thread, Fort, you went to coral springs and worlds. both were last year. and I am assuming the family did NOT come to FLA. But in terms of travel, you've not done any for over a year. I think you'd have a good argument on frequency.

Plus, also, you're only really gone for one day. You are home to see the kids off to school and can be there for when they get home, and maybe for dinner too. Then hop in the car and on a plane. Saturday you're away. Sunday, you swim and get on a plane and are home for dinner.

The Fortress
October 6th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Back to the thread, Fort, you went to coral springs and worlds. both were last year. and I am assuming the family did NOT come to FLA. But in terms of travel, you've not done any for over a year. I think you'd have a good argument on frequency.

Plus, also, you're only really gone for one day. You are home to see the kids off to school and can be there for when they get home, and maybe for dinner too. Then hop in the car and on a plane. Saturday you're away. Sunday, you swim and get on a plane and are home for dinner.

Exactly!

Er, the fam did come to Coral Springs to see the in-laws. I compromised by only swimming on Friday and Sunday and having family time on Saturday. Haven't travelled since August 2006. I'd be back Sunday night. I am so winning the frequency/deprivation debate. Muhahaha.

cathlaur
October 7th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Fort

Thanks for answering my questions. LOL. Not sure if I mentioned but I am 41.

I hear ya on the family stuff. My oldest dd plays rep soccer and it seems to go on and on there is never really a break. The little one plays houseleague soccer and takes music she is an amazing vocalist. Then we have her RP committments to help raise money for research. I work full time and so does hubby.

But it was hard to say I could not do the swimming anymore. The masters program I swim with offers 11 times a week and 5 am practices at 5:30. NO one in my house is up or cares what I am doing at that time so it is perfect. I was SO tired the first two weeks but it is much better now.

There will be no running for me as I have really bad knees which is why I am swimming. I can use the eliptical machine though and I do , do weights. I think under the flab there is a pretty nice body LOL LOL

Take care and let us know what happens.

I am off to get the Turkey ready. It is our Canadian thanksgiving weekend and we are celebrating today

Cheers

Katie

The Fortress
October 12th, 2007, 01:21 PM
I am now about to make travel arrangements to attend the NE SCM Champs in Boston. :groovy:

I'm not thrilled with the order of events, but it will force me to swim a couple things I hadn't planned on and eliminate a couple of my best events. (No evilstroke though!) There was a much better order of events for me at the TYR SCM meet in Chicago, which people very helpfully gave me lots of info about. (Thanks!) Unfotunately, my son will be running at the cross country national champs on Dec. 1, same day as that meet. So I'll be very proud of him, but fly to Bostson 2 weeks later instead. I hope there are no snow storms or sinus infections involved to foil my plans!

Keep working on that hot bod, Katie!

Thanks for everyone's comments. I think it really would just be easier to be married to a masters swimmer though.

slknight
October 12th, 2007, 01:23 PM
I am now about to make travel arrangements to attend the NE SCM Champs in Boston. :groovy:

:banana::banana::banana:

Hope we can meet up then!

The Fortress
October 12th, 2007, 01:27 PM
:banana::banana::banana:

Hope we can meet up then!

That would be fabulous! Although I'm glad you're not in my age group, speedster!

What events are you swimming? Have you decided?

pwolf66
October 12th, 2007, 01:37 PM

So you flying up early enough on Friday for the 800????? :bolt:

Paul

The Fortress
October 12th, 2007, 01:39 PM
So you flying up early enough on Friday for the 800????? :bolt:

Paul

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm not that desperate. And excessive freestyle makes my shoulder cranky. I was thinking of swimming -- GASP -- a 200. Not sure yet. It might interfere with an important 50.

pwolf66
October 12th, 2007, 01:40 PM
And does this mean you're NOT going to Rutgers?

Paul

The Fortress
October 12th, 2007, 01:41 PM
And does this mean you're NOT going to Rutgers?

Paul

Not. Spending that weekend living at GMU and watching fast USA swimmers. But last year, Kate Zeigler broke an american record there -- so it ain't all bad.

slknight
October 12th, 2007, 01:43 PM
That would be fabulous! Although I'm glad you're not in my age group, speedster!

What events are you swimming? Have you decided?
:rofl: Uh, I think that would be *former* speedster who is now sadly out-of-shape. I really need to swim more than once a week. Stupid things like a sick child, husband in grad school, my job, and a 45-minute drive each way to masters practice are really cramping my style. :sad:

I'm not sure what events I'm going to swim. It irks me to no end that the 200 free and the 50 fly are back-to-back since those are the only two events I really want to do. :bitching:

SwimStud
October 12th, 2007, 01:47 PM
It irks me to no end that the 200 free and the 50 fly are back-to-back since those are the only two events I really want to do. :bitching:

"There's no crying in masters swimming; do both!" I can't swing this meet so close to Christmas...so you girls will have to manage without me...

:laugh2:

pwolf66
October 12th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Not. Spending that weekend living at GMU and watching fast USA swimmers. But last year, Kate Zeigler broke an american record there -- so it ain't all bad.

There's a USA meet that weekend????? Ugh. Missed that. Hmm. I might have to copy your itenary (no, I'm NOT stalking you :rolleyes:) as I'm sure my daughter would LOVE to watch the 'pros' swim. Plus getting to Boston is so much easier than getting getting to Rutgers and cheaper too.

Paul

The Fortress
October 12th, 2007, 01:49 PM
I'm not sure what events I'm going to swim. It irks me to no end that the 200 free and the 50 fly are back-to-back since those are the only two events I really want to do. :bitching:

I feel your pain. My style gets cramped all the time. From now on, I'm aspiring to be the "Court Without Appeal" that is apparently LBJ's wife.

And I'm cross that, on Saturday, both the 100 IM and 50 back are back-to-back AND the 50 fly and 100 back are back-to-back. :bitching: I'm too old to swim back-to-back events with much success. I gotta have a half hour. :cane:

Great advice, Stud. Do both if you want to suck or do sub-par times. Who wants to travel to do that?!

Paul: It's the Tom Dolan meet with very tough QTs. Very exciting meet. If you want to see the highlights, just go to finals at night. But it is very, very crowded, just to warn you. Plus, I know one rocking fast masters swimmer who will be there to cheer on --- Mr. Jeff Roddin!!

SwimStud
October 12th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Great advice, Stud. Do both if you want to suck or do sub-par times. Who wants to travel to do that?!

Well do your best on the first and do the other because you love the event. Why travel and miss out?

The Fortress
October 12th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Well do your best on the first and do the other because you love the event. Why travel and miss out?

Pfffttt! I skipping the 100 IM for the 50 back. Why travel and swim slow? :thhbbb: Besides, I got some other fish to fry that day. I'm contemplating swimming a few events I've never swum in SCM before. Of course, my SCM experience is so vast and varied ... it wouldn't be hard to find a new event. :lmao:

Blackbeard's Peg
October 12th, 2007, 03:00 PM
There's a USA meet that weekend????? Ugh. Missed that. Hmm. I might have to copy your itenary (no, I'm NOT stalking you :rolleyes:) as I'm sure my daughter would LOVE to watch the 'pros' swim. Plus getting to Boston is so much easier than getting getting to Rutgers and cheaper too.

Cheaper to get to Boston? Paul, are you flying a helicopter for hire or something to Rutgers? I usually drive up that Friday afternoon. I've never looked at flights, but the minimal time in the air (and saved vs. driving) just isn't worth the extra $$.

If you're that strapped for cash, you, me and swimmieavsfan (if she's coming) will all be leaving from about the same place and can carpool (USMS beeing green!). Though you'd better have something better than bud light if you plan on bringing along that axe! :banana:

pwolf66
October 12th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Cheaper to get to Boston? Paul, are you flying a helicopter for hire or something to Rutgers? I usually drive up that Friday afternoon. I've never looked at flights, but the minimal time in the air (and saved vs. driving) just isn't worth the extra $$.

If you're that strapped for cash, you, me and swimmieavsfan (if she's coming) will all be leaving from about the same place and can carpool (USMS beeing green!). Though you'd better have something better than bud light if you plan on bringing along that axe! :banana:

I can get round trip for $120 add 10 bucks for metro add to that free hotel in Boston and I'm looking at about $130 plus food and about 3.5 hours each way at the most. But I guess I need to sit down and plan out what I want to do, talk with my daughter to see if she is interested in checking out the Dolan Inv and get back to you on your gracious offer to carpool. I might take you up on that. You swimming the Sprints at GMU? If so, we can chat more about it then.

Paul

The Fortress
October 12th, 2007, 03:24 PM
I can get round trip for $120 add 10 bucks for metro add to that free hotel in Boston and I'm looking at about $130 plus food and about 3.5 hours each way at the most. But I guess I need to sit down and plan out what I want to do, talk with my daughter to see if she is interested in checking out the Dolan Inv and get back to you on your gracious offer to carpool. I might take you up on that. You swimming the Sprints at GMU? If so, we can chat more about it then.

Paul

What're you in the travel business? What airline are you taking?

swimshark
October 12th, 2007, 03:56 PM

Why, oh why aren't there any other local SCM meets this year? Where did they all go?

Alison

pwolf66
October 12th, 2007, 03:57 PM

Let's just say that I have connections. Plus I was a 100k+ miler in 4 different airlines. Heck, go to Orbitz and you're looking at $150 round trip from DC to Boston for that weekend.

Paul

Allen Stark
October 12th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Alison,things aren't better here in OR this year.NW SCM Zones are in Alaska this year and it is a one day meet.Needless to say I'll be at the SPMA meet. Lets see, where would I rather be in Dec. SoCal or Alaska Hmmmm?

some_girl
October 12th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Oh yay! I finally get to meet the famed Fort. If it makes you feel any better, I concur that it may be one of the least pleasant orders of events I've ever seen. (Really. The 100 fly, 200 medley, 200 free and 50 fly all needed to be in a row?!)

Not that it matters. Except at Nats, our team is big on lots of events so I'll be doing 6 (counting relays if I am in both) on Saturday and 5 Sunday (same caveat). No 200 fly though. Probably. Unless I give in to my coaches and the cheap ego biscuits of doing well in a small field.

As for travel, Jet Blue usually has decent fares to Boston from NYC. Probably DC too.

shark
October 12th, 2007, 08:32 PM
A Happy Wife Makes for a Happy Life.

To think I actually came a' looking for a tip or two. It's so much easier now.

Blackbeard's Peg
October 12th, 2007, 11:22 PM
You swimming the Sprints at GMU? If so, we can chat more about it then.
I'll be there

Why, oh why aren't there any other local SCM meets this year? Where did they all go?
cause no one else is stepping up to the plate to host them... :dedhorse:

Back to the thread topic... Fort, glad you were able to make your case!

The Fortress
October 13th, 2007, 05:30 PM
No 200 fly though. Probably. Unless I give in to my coaches and the cheap ego biscuits of doing well in a small field.

Remind them you're a sprinter, not just a flyer. I guess sometimes it's good not to have a coach. But I'll be there swimming the 50 and the 100 with you on Saturday!

some_girl
October 13th, 2007, 09:50 PM
Remind them you're a sprinter, not just a flyer. I guess sometimes it's good not to have a coach. But I'll be there swimming the 50 and the 100 with you on Saturday!

Heh. One is an ex-4IMer and 2flyer and another claims I haven't really swum enough races to know what I am good at. Anyway, I'll try to finish warmdown in enough time to see your heats: you'll be at least a handul after me.

The Fortress
October 13th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Heh. One is an ex-4IMer and 2flyer and another claims I haven't really swum enough races to know what I am good at. Anyway, I'll try to finish warmdown in enough time to see your heats: you'll be at least a handul after me.

Perhap, like me, you haven't swum that many actual races. That doesn't necessarily mean you don't know what you are. :thhbbb: to them.
Uh, this is my first ever SC 100 fly in either yards or meters. I have no idea what time to enter, but it won't be an aggressive time for sure. It's an experiment. I don't train for this event particularly. But I don't think my 50 time reflects what I'll do in my 100. Usually a big drop off. Just doing it for fun.

I'll cheer for your 200 free while I'm resting up though. :thhbbb: :applaud:

Then I have to decide if I'm too knackered to swim the 100 back right after the 50 fly or not. Probably too tired. I'm getting old and senile. ;)

swimshark
October 14th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Alison,things aren't better here in OR this year.NW SCM Zones are in Alaska this year and it is a one day meet.Needless to say I'll be at the SPMA meet. Lets see, where would I rather be in Dec. SoCal or Alaska Hmmmm?

Allen, it's getting better for you all in the great state. I just completed 3 entry forms for the next Aqua Master. One is SCM meet in Oregon City in Jan (get a jump on the next SCM season), then the Animal meet in Jan and A SCY meet in Feb in Newberg. Plus the MAC meet. That makes 4 coming up.

Fort, you can do the fly after the back. You have good stamina!!

Alison

bud
October 14th, 2007, 09:20 AM
... I have no idea what time to enter, but it won't be an aggressive time for sure. It's an experiment.... Just doing it for fun.
... Then I have to decide if I'm too knackered to swim the 100 back right after the 50 fly or not.
i googled <swim time converter meters yards (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=swim+time+converter+meters+yards)> and got several promising hits. i urge you to put in as accurate a seed time as possible... this will almost certainly give you the biggest FUN factor. being badly mismatched in a heat usually means you will be swimming alone by the time you make the final touch and there is not much fun (or motivation) in that.

i say just go ahead and swim the 100 back rather than scratch. every race you swim is at least good practice, and how often do you get to swim in that environment? (especially if you compare it to how often you practice!?!) you can always use extra events as part of a warm-up or cool-down, and who knows, you may score some extra points for you and your team.

The Fortress
October 14th, 2007, 01:17 PM

Alison

Spoke with sprint classic meet director at practice today. Serious consideration of making the sprint classic a SCM meet instead of SCY meet next year. There are plenty of other local SCY meets as part of that MD series. I thought it was a fabulous idea!

Thanks Bud! No one on my team is going to this meet. So new relays duties. I'll probably swim the 100 back for fun. I know my time just won't be as fast as I like. I can't swim a race as a "cool down" though. It's all out or nothing or me. Last time I swam the 100 back, I literally could barely crawl out of the pool. LOL.

swimshark
October 14th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Spoke with sprint classic meet director at practice today. Serious consideration of making the sprint classic a SCM meet instead of SCY meet next year. There are plenty of other local SCY meets as part of that MD series. I thought it was a fabulous idea!

That would be great!

Alison

some_girl
October 14th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Perhap, like me, you haven't swum that many actual races. That doesn't necessarily mean you don't know what you are. :thhbbb: to them.

And yet, so often they are right about other things. Damn them.

Uh, this is my first ever SC 100 fly in either yards or meters. I have no idea what time to enter, but it won't be an aggressive time for sure. It's an experiment. I don't train for this event particularly. But I don't think my 50 time reflects what I'll do in my 100. Usually a big drop off. Just doing it for fun.

The 100 fly is fun (though more fun in yards and less fun LC). I'm sure you'll do well. When I am feeling wussy, I enjoy backhalfing it, but there can be some fun in just going out and seeing what happens. At Nats, I could barely get through those last ten yards, but I made my goal time, so I suppose the go out and die approach has its points. Lol.

The Fortress
October 14th, 2007, 05:32 PM
And yet, so often they are right about other things. Damn them.

The 100 fly is fun (though more fun in yards and less fun LC). I'm sure you'll do well. When I am feeling wussy, I enjoy backhalfing it, but there can be some fun in just going out and seeing what happens. At Nats, I could barely get through those last ten yards, but I made my goal time, so I suppose the go out and die approach has its points. Lol.

I always try to back half my 100s as a wussy sprinter. Still, the only LC 100 fly I swam, in 2006, I thought for sure I'd DQ the last 15 meters.

My coach (who I usually only see on Sunday morning) laughed at me today when I told her I might swim the 200 back. No pressure for me to swim 200s! :rofl: I got revenge by laughing at her backstroke start.

some_girl
October 14th, 2007, 09:21 PM
I always try to back half my 100s as a wussy sprinter. Still, the only LC 100 fly I swam, in 2006, I thought for sure I'd DQ the last 15 meters.

My coach (who I usually only see on Sunday morning) laughed at me today when I told her I might swim the 200 back. No pressure for me to swim 200s! :rofl: I got revenge by laughing at her backstroke start.

My coaches would laugh if I suggested a 200 back, but more for the backstroke part of it. When one was trying to teach me the start, he eventually gave up saying, "That's okay. You don't need to swim backstroke." I am not sure which is worse, that or my evilstroke. Wonder why I am not an IMer...

SwimStud
October 17th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Well December looks like this for me.
Zones in NJ is out.
NEM in Boston is in. It looks like some CONN masters will be going up so it is a good meet for that, and also the NJ meet clashes with "The Nutcracker"

The Fortress
October 17th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Well December looks like this for me.
Zones in NJ is out.
NEM in Boston is in. It looks like some CONN masters will be going up so it is a good meet for that, and also the NJ meet clashes with "The Nutcracker"

I thought it was to close to Santy Claus time?! You've likewise got a teensy problem on the BR-free sprint events being back to back on Sunday. But since you "want" to swim all of them and would never sandbag, no complaints please! :thhbbb:

Where are you and CONN hoteling?

SwimStud
October 17th, 2007, 10:44 PM
I thought it was to close to Santy Claus time?! You've likewise got a teensy problem on the BR-free sprint events being back to back on Sunday. But since you "want" to swim all of them and would never sandbag, no complaints please! :thhbbb:

Where are you and CONN hoteling?

Yeah I'm going to tell you on here what hotel so that Geek and Matt can have flowers and champagne sent...hahaha

It is too close but the CONN crew is going and that's a plus, and the nutcracker is on Friday and Mrs Stud is chaperoning saturday which means a sitter for MiniStud... nights hotel...a stressed and rushed wife...I'll go the following weekend it works better. I'm driving up Saturday am and staying just 1 night.

Don't worry about my events...I'll prioritise and we might even see some backstroke or fly LOL

The Fortress
October 17th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Yeah I'm going to tell you on here what hotel so that Geek and Matt can have flowers and champagne sent...hahaha

It is too close but the CONN crew is going and that's a plus, and the nutcracker is on Friday and Mrs Stud is chaperoning saturday which means a sitter for MiniStud... nights hotel...a stressed and rushed wife...I'll go the following weekend it works better. I'm driving up Saturday am and staying just 1 night.

Don't worry about my events...I'll prioritise and we might even see some backstroke or fly LOL

Oh, good, I'll be watching for you in the 200 back and 200 fly on Sunday!

SwimStud
October 18th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Oh, good, I'll be watching for you in the 200 back and 200 fly on Sunday!

You'll be watching a long while

pwolf66
October 18th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Thanks Bud! No one on my team is going to this meet. So new relays duties. .

Does it HAVE to be swimmers from the same team in a relay? Also, does the classic even HAVE relays?

Of all the things I loved about swimming meets, relays were the #1

Paul

pwolf66
October 18th, 2007, 09:06 AM
You'll be watching a long while

Wimp :thhbbb:

Paul

Yeah, yeah, I know those events aren't being swam

The Fortress
October 18th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Does it HAVE to be swimmers from the same team in a relay? Also, does the classic even HAVE relays?

Of all the things I loved about swimming meets, relays were the #1

Paul

You must be on the same team for relays. But no relays at Sprint Classic. Stud and I were discussing his upcoming events at the NE Champs though, not the Classic. The 200 fly is midway between the 50 and 100 BR, so it's be a good event for him.

SwimStud
October 18th, 2007, 09:25 AM
You must be on the same team for relays. But no relays at Sprint Classic. Stud and I were discussing his upcoming events at the NE Champs though, not the Classic. The 200 fly is midway between the 50 and 100 BR, so it's be a good event for him.

If you do the 200BR I'll do the fly...will take me 4 minutes as I'll be do it as a 4x50 set.

The Fortress
October 18th, 2007, 09:27 AM
If you do the 200BR I'll do the fly...will take me 4 minutes as I'll be do it as a 4x50 set.

No, the 200 BR is right before the 100 fly, which I'll likely be swimming as a 2 x 50 set with a coffee break at the wall.

Allen Stark
October 18th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Many meets have a 10-15 min break at various points in the meet.Fort,you should ask for a 10 min break between the first and second 50 of the 100 fly.That would be good for the 200 BR for me.:rofl::rofl:

Renaissance Swimmer
October 18th, 2007, 12:24 PM
Back to to the original question, how to persuade your spouse that you must go to a meet (and you want his company)? It all boils down to the meet that you choose. Let me recommend USMS long course nationals in Oregon, August 2008. Within an hour from the pool your spouse can eat, drink, and recreate to his heart's content, and still get back in time to take you out for a nice evening on the town. See more here: http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=9200, and here: http://www.lcnationals2008.net/default.htm

3strokes
October 18th, 2007, 11:09 PM
You must be on the same team for relays.

This is where Canadian Masters Swimming is more flexible

http://www.mastersswimmingcanada.ca/MSCRules20060220.pdf (http://www.mastersswimmingcanada.ca/MSCRules20060220.pdf)

Rule 5.02 will allow teams (at the discretion of the Meet Manager) to be formed of swimmers not belonging to the same club (I'm unattached, thus my interest in this). Such teams will be considered as an "exhibition" team and results will not count towards records or Top 20.

I suggested this to the Club that organizes the one (and only) Masters annual LCM event in Ottawa and they will try to form such a team (or more?) during next February's meet (Winterlude 2008).

Should be fun to do two 50 frees LCM in one meet.

Blackbeard's Peg
October 19th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Ahmed,
I think there are some smaller meets that allow this to occur informally, and also mark as exhibition.
I don't know if that is competely illegal in USMS or something, but personally, I think it would be nice.
One of our local meets has a "coconut relay" at the end of their meet, where you have to swim with an increasing # coconuts. no team restrictions, but then it is unofficial :banana:

SwimStud
October 19th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Ahmed,
I think there are some smaller meets that allow this to occur informally, and also mark as exhibition.
I don't know if that is competely illegal in USMS or something, but personally, I think it would be nice.
One of our local meets has a "coconut relay" at the end of their meet, where you have to swim with an increasing # coconuts. no team restrictions, but then it is unofficial :banana:

Friend relays would be cool expecially for those of us without a team or big travel contingents. I could fulfill Geeks dreams of anchoring his relay team...

ensignada
October 19th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Ditto on what Stud said.

SwimStud
October 19th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Ahmed,
Where do you put the coconuts?

Blackbeard's Peg
October 19th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Where do you put the coconuts?

Most people swim head out of water with a coconut in each hand and any additional ones in the water in the area boundaried by head and arms, swimming water-polo-styleish. Some do stuff their suits. Perhaps you should make plans to come down to the Alexandria Masters Tropical Splash meet the last weekend of January and see how it is done! I'll be happy to be on your team!

SwimStud
October 19th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Most people swim head out of water with a coconut in each hand and any additional ones in the water in the area boundaried by head and arms, swimming water-polo-styleish. Some do stuff their suits. Perhaps you should make plans to come down to the Alexandria Masters Tropical Splash meet the last weekend of January and see how it is done! I'll be happy to be on your team!

NJ and I-95 in the depth of winter? Just to stuff coconuts down my FSII?...I don't know about that...