PDA

View Full Version : One stroke wonder

2fish&1whale
October 6th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Any other swimmers out there that swim one stroke exclusively?

I only swim the breaststroke(because that is how I was taught to swim as a kid in Europe), and I'm not sure I want to learn any of the other three.

I guess it's just that swimming the breaststroke feels comfortable and I seem to be getting enough of a cardio workout.

But it still makes me wonder if I'm asking for injuries by not changing the stroke.

Any thoughts?:help:

geochuck
October 6th, 2007, 05:26 PM
You can enter a freestyle race doing breaststroke. You may not win.

2fish&1whale
October 6th, 2007, 05:40 PM
I think I'll pass!
It is depressing enough as it is to be lapped left and right during my workout by freestylers slapping at the water furiously......but then again I never see most of these folks do anything but the freestyle, so I keep telling myself i'm actually working much harder than they are.....

Allen Stark
October 6th, 2007, 05:42 PM
As far as competition goes I'm pretty nearly a pure breaststroker,but I really wouldn't recommend doing only one stroke for workouts.The problem with doing only breaststroke is that it is hard on the knees. Doing at least crawl also helps your knees and gives variety.Fly is just fun(in moderation) and even swimming some backstroke helps with body position and uses different muscles.

indyswimbag
October 6th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I to am a "one stroke wonder" fellow breaststroker BUT...I have in recent years found myself:Lurking: to the 'dark side' of distance free and have found myself :bolt:toward the IM....

I think that I have ADD as a swimmer because I like to try new events BUT if I am forced into a hole I am a breaststroker....I think that you should at least experiment with different strokes and events...who knows you might like them...of course I can't ever see myself liking the fly:shakeshead: