PDA

View Full Version : Need critique on swimming program

flaswimm
October 9th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Well, I've swam all my life being a Florida boy and just got back into swimming 3 weeks ago for weight loss/challenge/toning up. So far I am swimming 4 times a week and am already beginning to notice definition in my shoulders and chest! Now down to the point...I did a 5 min nonstop 25 yard time trial and ended up with 250 yards and this training program (opted for freestyle and breaststroke in the program):

Duration 45-60 mins Distance 1600yd Pool length 25yd

Warm up
8 x 25yd Any Stroke (even pace), rest 0:10 / 25yd Swim your choice of stroke at a steady pace.

Build up (repeat 4 times)
1 x 25yd Single Arm (arm out front) 6 x left, 6 x right, 6 x full stroke, rest 0:10 / 25yd Freestyle using one arm at a time, focusing on shoulder and hip rotation. Complete 6 arm strokes with the left arm then 6 strokes with the right arm followed by 6 strokes using both arms. The non-stroking arm is held out front in a streamlined position.

1 x 25yd Freestyle DPS, rest 0:10 / 25yd Freestyle swim with maximum Distance Per Stroke (DPS). Concentrate on long, efficient strokes and a high streamlined body position to reduce drag in the water. Count your strokes per lap and try to reduce.

Core (repeat 2 times)
4 x 100yd Freestyle Swim, rest 0:15 / 100yd
4 x 25yd Breaststroke Swim, rest 0:15 / 25yd

Warm down
8 x 25yd Easy Any Stroke, rest 0:10 / 25yd Swim your choice of stroke, at a slow, relaxed pace.

My basic question is can I add/subtract/change anything to better serve for a more efficient workout? I believe my arm strokes/form is fine and would like to replace that part of the build up with something that will help me to practice my kicking in the water while freestyling (I get the sense I am really wasting energy their not knowing if I am kicking right and whether I should do short or long stroke kicks) On a sidenote...should I be breathing on any specific stroke while freestyling? I seem to be randomly mixing it up between 4...2...and sometimes 3. Thank you in advance from this fresh swimming meat :D

geochuck
October 9th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Some will like it, I am not into a lot of drills. I think at this stage you would be better off conditioning the body for swimming and do more whole stroke swimming. I would have a more varied plan adding a 4 X 500 swim at least once a week.

A 45 to 60 min work out should be about a 2000 to 3000 yd workout. I swim a lot of 25s working on complete stroke technique. I also do a lot of 50s, 75s and 100s.

There is always a day or two of just swimming 250s and 500s. I used to just swim 1000m a day but now swim 2000 to 3000 and try to swim at least once a day. If I do a shorter workout I try to throw in another swim of 1000m.

Breathing do as you please, a little bilateral breathing will help you balace your stroke. I breathe all sorts of combinatios, when doing 25 not a lot of breathing maybe 1 , 2 or 3 breaths a length. The farther I swim I will breathe on the left every complete cycle.

When a kid we did the 5 minute swims and If I did not swim at least 450 yds I would be dissappointed. We would do those swims with a 5 minute rest and do 3 or 4 of them.

RecreationalSwimmer
October 9th, 2007, 12:13 PM
1 x 25yd Single Arm (arm out front) 6 x left, 6 x right, 6 x full stroke, rest 0:10 / 25yd Freestyle using one arm at a time, focusing on shoulder and hip rotation. Complete 6 arm strokes with the left arm then 6 strokes with the right arm followed by 6 strokes using both arms. The non-stroking arm is held out front in a streamlined position.

Have you tried the single arm freestyle drill with the 'retired' arm at your side, breathing to said side? You need to streamline well and preserve the momentum.

1 x 25yd Freestyle DPS, rest 0:10 / 25yd Freestyle swim with maximum Distance Per Stroke (DPS). Concentrate on long, efficient strokes and a high streamlined body position to reduce drag in the water. Count your strokes per lap and try to reduce.

Question: what's your stroke count? A chap I swim with does 30-33 per 25 meters, while I am OK [gloat] with my 17-18 strokes/25 m. I'm working on the endurance bit, and your program looks OK to me.

geochuck
October 9th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Spl for me ranges form 10 to 13 strokes for 25m. If really stretching it is 10 but thirteen mostly. Slightly higher when going all out. I just wonder how many strokes I would do if I pushed hard off the wall and kicked more than one dolphin kick.

One arm drills are not for me. It seems some people do lots of drills, Rec I believe does 90 percent drills and 10 percent swimming. The average for most is 10 percent drills 90 percent swimming I saw a survey.

But that is a choice everyone has to make for themselves.
The end goal I think is to become complete swimmer with good technique.

david.margrave
October 9th, 2007, 12:31 PM
16 per 25 yards here. I'm 6'1" (185 cm). I guess that would work out to 17.6/25m One more data point for the discussion.

flaswimm
October 9th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Some will like it, I am not into a lot of drills. I think at this stage you would be better off conditioning the body for swimming and do more whole stroke swimming. I would have a more varied plan adding a 4 X 500 swim at least once a week.

A 45 to 60 min work out should be about a 2000 to 3000 yd workout. I swim a lot of 25s working on complete stroke technique. I also do a lot of 50s, 75s and 100s.

There is always a day or two of just swimming 250s and 500s. I used to just swim 1000m a day but now swim 2000 to 3000 and try to swim at least once a day. If I do a shorter workout I try to throw in another swim of 1000m.

Breathing do as you please, a little bilateral breathing will help you balace your stroke. I breathe all sorts of combinatios, when doing 25 not a lot of breathing maybe 1 , 2 or 3 breaths a length. The farther I swim I will breathe on the left every complete cycle.

When a kid we did the 5 minute swims and If I did not swim at least 450 yds I would be dissappointed. We would do those swims with a 5 minute rest and do 3 or 4 of them.

Thanks for the tips....think I am going to end up dropping the stroke routine and increase the core freestyle to 4 x 200 and the breaststroke to 4 x 50 baby stepping up the yards per set per week, just got out of the pool today and my regular program just doesn't seem to have the same kick it did towards the beginning, cardio and muscle wise. The single armed stroke though is still serving its purpose to train me to breath out of my left side, trying hard but its like using my left hand when I'm a righty :p.

Have you tried the single arm freestyle drill with the 'retired' arm at your side, breathing to said side? You need to streamline well and preserve the momentum.

Think I may mix that up with what I am doing now...trying hard to learn to breath out of my non dominant side.

Question: what's your stroke count? A chap I swim with does 30-33 per 25 meters, while I am OK [gloat] with my 17-18 strokes/25 m. I'm working on the endurance bit, and your program looks OK to me.

Counted my strokes today in the range of 14-17 per 25 yard, depending how far in the set I am. Yeah, think I will add a weekend day with a long endurance set like geo suggested.