PDA

View Full Version : Any news on St. Nick's meet on December 15

Glider
October 9th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Has anyone (Rob?) heard anything about finalizing the St. Nick's meet this year? Last we heard at the annual LMSC meeting 3 weeks ago, we were waiting on GA Tech to commit...

I noticed Ande's posting about the DZ SCM champs at Tulane in New Orleans on December 7. That may be a good alternative meet if we don't have St. Nick's - that would be fun, especially for me since I'm a 1980something TU alumni. I'm just not a fan of the long trip...

I just registered for USA Swimming...so Sr. State or Woodie Malone meets might work better. No 50 Breast...:sad: However...I suppose I could do it in the 50 Free:D Same for the 100 IM in the 100 Free. Think the USA meet officials would frown on that?

Glider
October 17th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Sean Fitzgerald, (the meet director, I believe) returned my e-mail inquiry:

"The meet will be a one day meet on Saturday, December 15, at the Ga Tech Aquatic Center. Entry forms should be out soon.
See you there,
Sean"

Looks like it's a go!:applaud:

MatthewH
October 18th, 2007, 05:33 PM
The entry form is now posted on the Trout's site: www.atlantarainbowtrout.com. See you there!

Slowswim
October 19th, 2007, 09:30 AM
I just looked at the entry form.:(

I think the US Tax code is easier to read!:notworking:

Its on my calendar, but I'll wait for the psych sheet to see if or what I can swim. I'll try to be there even if only to :cheerleader:.

Rob Copeland
October 19th, 2007, 03:52 PM
I think the US Tax code is easier to read!???
Which of the questions stumped you? Name?, Gender? DOB? :D Note – DOB stands for Date of Birth (yours):p. Note 2 – Use “M” for “Masters” in the gender box.;)

As for waiting to see the psych sheet before entering; if you wait for it to be posted you will be too late to enter. Go ahead and take the plunge, literally and figuratively. :banana::banana:You won’t find a better pool in the country.

Slowswim
October 19th, 2007, 04:16 PM
???
Which of the questions stumped you? Name?, Gender? DOB? :D Note – DOB stands for Date of Birth (yours):p. Note 2 – Use “M” for “Masters” in the gender box.;)

As for waiting to see the psych sheet before entering; if you wait for it to be posted you will be too late to enter. Go ahead and take the plunge, literally and figuratively. :banana::banana:You won’t find a better pool in the country.

What's a 5+ swimmer? How do you read the chart for the events? How do I know when my event will be? Some of them had times, but most had number. I get that it sequencing, but will they say whether it is morning or afternoon at least?

I thought I was supposed to put an "F" in the gender box for First-timer or an "N" for Newby. I'm so confused. If I register, do I put down NT or a reasonable guess in Days:Hours format? I have no official times. Whatever I swim, I'll keep it short to the meet does become multi-day.

The odds are definitely better than even that I'll swim it. Even though, I know I'll get crushed by the 80+ YO woman with the flower shower cap on and pushing a noodle, and doing the sidestroke in the 50 Free; but I'm married, I lost my ego years ago. Hmm, I should ask my wife for it back. Better wait until after the meet.

Will there be an explanation of the commands to get on the blocks and when to dive in. Does the meet provide the swim cap? If I have to bring my own and it advertises a Tri, will I get noodle whipped or towel snapped?

I'm going to see my old coach next week so I'll see if I can practice using the blocks.
Is this pool the '96 Olympic Pool? If so, I can honestly say, "I built this pool house."

Rob Copeland
October 19th, 2007, 10:11 PM
All good questions…

"What's a 5+ swimmer?" On a scale of 1 to 10 if you are a 5 or higher you get special stuff (hot tub, massage, champagne, etc.) OR 5+ means that if you are not entered in the 400 IM or 800 free (events 1 – 4) you can sleep in for another hour or so.

For gender M would be the preferred response or “Y” for yes.

NT is acceptable for the seed time, or enter minutes:seconds.hundredths or just minutes:seconds. And while the entry form states “provide your best 25M time” what they are looking for is your short course meters time for the given event or a reasonable estimate or NT for no time.

"Will there be an explanation of the commands to get on the blocks and when to dive in?" Yes, but if you have any questions find me and I’ll help. Basically it’s a bunch of confusing whistle blasts after which you step up onto the block, followed by the starters command “take your mark” and the starting horn.

"Does the meet provide the swim cap?" Caps in pool events are not required or provided. You can bring and wear whatever you want or go hatless.

Yes, we will be swimming in the ’96 Olympic pool.

"I'm going to see my old coach next week so I'll see if I can practice using the blocks." Note, if you are not comfortable starting from the blocks, you can start from the side of the pool or in the pool. There is no shame in either of these.

Slowswim
October 19th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Oh you ARE good!!

You've dealt with "totally paranoid masters swimmers that have never done this before", before.

Okay, now to get CINC Home's permission.:sad:

swimr4life
October 25th, 2007, 01:14 AM
I'M GOING! :banana::party2: Can't wait!

tjburk
October 25th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Hope to see you all there....tried going the last couple of years.....but lo...life always seems to get in the way....maybe this year will be different!:wave:

Donna
October 25th, 2007, 02:57 PM
I plan to try and make this one too. See you there.

p_con
October 28th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I'm planning on being there.....

Slowswim
October 30th, 2007, 04:29 PM
I have CinC Home's permission so I'm planning on being there. My coach (in Florida) helped me with the starting blocks, and thinks I should do the 50 Free and Breast!:shakeshead:

If I make it, I apologize in advance for slowing the whole day down and causing a traffic jam in lane 8.:drown:

Rob Copeland
October 30th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Just make sure to tie your suit strings before you start and you’ll be fine.;)

Slowswim
October 31st, 2007, 03:55 PM
Just make sure to tie your suit strings before you start and you’ll be fine.;)

That will take care of one of my biggest fears. :eek: :blush:

That leaves only a few dozen to overcome.:whiteflag:

Slowswim
November 27th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Ok, I just sent in my registration. Its my first ever swim meet so if y'all see a poor scared slob wondering aimlessly or crying in the corner, walk over and help me out. :sad:
:cry:

I signed up for the 50 and 100 Free and 50 breast. My times are NT so I'll be in the first heats of each. If I don't DQ the breast I'll be a happy camper.:whiteflag:

I'm guaranteed at least two PBs!:groovy:

Donna
November 27th, 2007, 02:38 PM
I'll see you there. Just look for the crazy distance girl! 200, 400 and 800 Free and 200 Fly (I've got to be crazy to be doing this again)!

Slowswim
November 27th, 2007, 02:42 PM
I'll see you there. Just look for the crazy distance girl! 200, 400 and 800 Free and 200 Fly (I've got to be crazy to be doing this again)!

Great! I look forward to meeting you.

I wouldn't say you are crazy except for that "again" part.:bolt:

I plan to live up to my signature.:rofl:

Donna
November 27th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Believe me Bill there is nothing fast about my 200 Fly, it is called survival. The only reason to do it this time is to see what I can do in short course meters. The other 2 times I swam it were at both Nationals.

Every time about 1/2 way through I ask myself why am I doing this? Oh yeah for the participation medal! This time it is just for time and to be crazy:rofl:!

Actually my coach has been working with me on my Fly and I think I could actually be getting better, not just surviving. We shall see.

Slowswim
November 28th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Donna:

I'll be there for the 200 Fly so I'll cheer for you. Sorry, I don't own any :cheerleader: (Pom poms).

Slowswim
December 12th, 2007, 11:25 AM
The Psych sheets are out. Where is everyone? :shakeshead:

Donna
December 12th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Looks like it will be fun everyone.

See you there.

Donna
December 15th, 2007, 08:51 PM
A special thanks to our hosts from the Atlanta Rainbow Trout for a fantastic meet in a great facility. Let's hope next year will grow to a two day meet.

:groovy:

p_con
December 15th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Yes thank you it was a great meet.:applaud:

Slowswim
December 17th, 2007, 02:19 PM
While it was my first meet so I have nothing to compare it to. It seemed very well organized and ran smoothly.

I was very impressed and hope to do it next year.:lolup:

Glider
February 5th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I understand a few of you who were in this meet (I pulled out at the last minute) were looking for this meet in the USMS database.

I passed an email along to MatthewH to see if he could find out who could get that done at ART.

He responded saying that he'd pass it along to the Meet Director and/or head of ART swimming.

I'm sure there a few updates to the 2007 SCM Top Ten times.

The entry form is now posted on the Trout's site: www.atlantarainbowtrout.com (http://www.atlantarainbowtrout.com). See you there!

Donna
February 11th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Mark,

Thanks for following up on this. I noticed they got it updated today.