PDA

View Full Version : Social Committee Ideas?

swimdaddyswim
October 10th, 2007, 03:44 PM
I volunteered to become a member of our master teams social committee. I would really enjoy hearing from other masters swimmers what social events/activities their team organises that they can recommend?

What social events does your team do, where do they do it and what works? Do you include people who are not masters swimmers? children of masters swimmers? masters swimmers from other teams? Do you raise money at any of these events for team activities? Do you solicit sponsors to underwrite any team events or activities? Are their activities that your team doesn't do that you wish they would initiate?

We are in California.

Thanks in advance!

Blackbeard's Peg
October 11th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Some ideas:

Movie night
Team Cookout
breakfast after morning practice
dinner after evening practice
golf / driving range outing; mini golf

Go check out a ballgame... SF has plenty of opportunities, from the Giants, A's, 49ers, Raiders, Stanford NCAA games, San Jose Sharks; isn't there a basketball team nearby too? Tis the season for tailgating!

Do you have a ropes/challenge course or climbing wall nearby? A few years ago, we did some teambuilding on the challenge course at UMD's Outdoor Recreaton Center, and then went up the climbing wall (http://www.orc.umd.edu/wall.html). The ORC facility survived a tornado (http://www.recmanagement.com/200201fp03.php) and helped earn us the #2 ranking for colleges w/ the best recreational opportunities in SI or ESPN a few years ago.

Rob Copeland
October 11th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Other ideas:
Have an annual team awards banquet (it doesn’t need to be overly fancy)
Build a home (Habitat for Humanity)
Organize a clothing drive for a local homeless shelter

Slowswim
October 11th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Other ideas:
Have an annual team awards banquet (it doesn’t need to be overly fancy)
Build a home (Habitat for Humanity)
Organize a clothing drive for a local homeless shelter

These are great ideas!!

Except the clothing, you only get worn out speedo and baggy FS Pro's. :rofl: Just kidding.
</IMG>

imspoiled
October 12th, 2007, 02:58 PM
We have a beef-n-beer fundraiser once a year that pays for the team to have pizza parties, annual team high-point awards, and the trip to LCM nationals. Fun for all, and YES including non-masters in your FUN(draising) is a must.

We also have an unofficial social director who orgainizes trips to amusement parks, haunted houses, movies, etc.

If you're looking for inexpensive fun, have a Monday Night football party when your home team is on.

Have fun!
Dana

Treebox
October 12th, 2007, 03:07 PM
We usually have 3-4 get togethers a year, seasonal usually. Cookouts, holiday wine and cheese party etc. Outside of that we usually support 2 different charity events that are run by members.

Most recently we had a surprise send off for a member heading to Hawaii for the Ironman. (Yes, we cheer on the dastardly triathletes) The cake said "Swim fast...nothing else matters!"

Blackbeard's Peg
October 14th, 2007, 09:32 PM
All the club teams at UMD get a chance to work the concession stands at the university's football and basketball games. They get a portion of the proceeds for working it, and get to eat at the stand. It is a great way to raise money for the team, build some comraderie and get to meet people.

PArob83
November 2nd, 2007, 09:12 AM
when i spent some time with a team in australia, on some fridays, either monthly or every other friday had a shortened practice, then a fun meet, where kids, masters, parents coaches (whomever wanted to) could enter in an event, and they had a food table setup where you could get burgers sausave, pizza, fruit and snacks. low price, small profit but it used time at the pool they already had and was allot of fun.
the idea is real flexable and could be changed to accomadate different age groups, or mixed groups.

swimdaddyswim
July 14th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks everybody.

Iwannafly
July 15th, 2008, 08:29 AM
... isn't there a basketball team nearby too?

Ummm, hello - YOUR Golden State Warriors!! Come on Muppet, don't you know your NBA geography? That's not to mention NCAA teams other than Stanford. Like UCSF, San Jose State, Cal and I'm sure more that I can't think of off the top of my head.