PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln College Coach Injured in Crash

makejazz
October 10th, 2007, 07:32 PM
This past weekend a local Lincoln, Illinois College swim Coach Dan Hemenway was severely injured in a car crash next Lincoln. As his recover looks better each day, he could use a cheerful email and encouragement from anyone, even if you didn't know Dan or appreciate all a coach goes through for their students. If any of you have a free moment to drop an email to Dan
through getbettercoach@hotmail.com (getbettercoach@hotmail.com)

Newspaper article on the crash:
http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2007/10/08/news/doc47086794eb081851401102.txt (http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2007/10/08/news/doc47086794eb081851401102.txt)

Please feel free to send this to anyone in swimming who might have a moment to drop him an email.
Thanks
Ed
---------------------------------------------------------
Hey everyone!

Thank you hardly seems sufficient for the amount of support, love, and faith you all have showed for coach. I have printed off all of your e-mails and will be delivering them to coach today. FYI, if you are able to get me messages before 5pm I will be able to get the info to him that day. I took some letters to him yesterday, and even though he wasn't able to read them just yet, his family is beyond appreciative and thankful to have so many people express their thoughts and concerns. Dan was Kyle Jackson's sister (Ashley's) coach when she attended Lincoln College. Dan has led many of his teams to 2nd place Nationals finishes over the years and is a person I have come to know over the years.

Yesterday was a good day for coach. He was sitting up and was talking somewhat clearly. He is still in ICU, but according to the doctors he is making great progress, and hopefully he will be out of there soon. When I went there last night he recognized everyone in the room. He also knew the date, year, and simple little things that the docs wanted to check. All of this is a good thing! The docs also took off his neckbrace, and it looks like there are no injuries to the neck. The spinal scan came back negative, which means there is no paralysis.

His spirits seem to be high, but you can still see that he is having a little trouble grasping why he is in the hospital. In fact, yesterday he told me that "he wanted to go home." I told him not just yet, to which he responded, "Why? Look, nothings wrong with me." Typical coach, cracking jokes.

I will continue to keep all of you posted. Also, if you could please keep passing this e-mail along to everyone in the LC family, as I will continue to add people to the address list, and bring these e-mails to coach. He is going to need us now more than ever. It's our turn to take care of the man who has looked out for our best interest for so many years. Thank you all.

Jake
Class of 2001