PDA

View Full Version : Prayers/vibes needed for my sick cat

FindingMyInnerFish
October 11th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Hi all,

Haven't had much time to even look at the forum, much less post the last couple days, because I've been tending to my six-going-on-seven year old tabby with 'tude. She suddenly lost interest in any food and was very listless. The same cat who on Monday was climbing all over my computer and nudging me for food would barely take a little water. I had her at the doctor on Tuesday and he gave her an antibiotic injection as well as some medicine for me to give her. But today, she still didn't seem any better, so I took her back to the vet, who said she'd need to stay and get IV fluids, x-rays, blood work. And I don't know what to expect or hope for. She's been such a wonderful companion and friend to me for the past almost seven years, and even though I know she needs the hospital care, I miss her. She doesn't ever travel--I always have cat sitters come to my place to feed/take care of her--so she's not used to strangers, and she's in a new and scary environment without me there to reassure her.

I feel so powerless right now. Swimming and running are taking a back seat for the moment.

Thanks for any thoughts/prayers, healing energy, etc.

Leonard Jansen
October 11th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Sorry to hear this. We have 4 cats: 3 indoors - Leith (A.K.A. Esther Jane Kooberman), Dust Bunny (A.K.A. Alexandra Liselle Von Silverlace), and Domino (A.K.A. George Alphonse Tirebiter) and 1 barn cat -Elsa (A.K.A. The Elsanator). Yes, they do get into your heart. If you need more high-powered vet help, there is a vet school at U. Penn. Also, in Towson, MD there is a cat-only practice that is nationally-known. It's called "CHAT", which stands for "Cat Hospital At Towson." Truthfully, of the two, I'd probably go to CHAT.

If you need any other suggestions, let me know - my sister-in-law is a veterinarian (specializes in surgery) and might have some thoughts on this.

Good Luck,
LBJ

swimmieAvsFan
October 11th, 2007, 12:13 PM
FMIF, that's rough. i have an insane farm cat named darby. he's from central PA (think total boonies!) and i love him to death. he's been my "roommate" for almost 3.5 years.

he got really sick late the first day i brought him home- he and his littermates had gotten rained on the night before and he ended up with an upper repiratory infection. fortunately for me (and him!), a few days of having to force-feed him amoxicilin fixed him. but i know how scary it was for me while he was so sick. i definitely was a wreck for the first 2 or 3 days, till he started actually eating and drinking water again.

so i'll send some healthy cat vibes your way.
get well soon, tabby with 'tude :)

FindingMyInnerFish
October 11th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Thanks, you guys! I knew I'd have some understanding voices here... Leonard, thanks for the vet suggestions. My sister's a vet herself and she'll be in town this weekend, so I'll see also what she says. She's a cat lover too!

SwimmieAvsFan, Your cat sounds wonderful! A fighter right from the start! So glad for you that he's doing well and is such a great friend!

Cats... yeah, they do get into your heart! When we were kids, my brother brought home a Siamese kitten, and my father who'd dealt with a series of cats that didn't work out, boomed 'NO MORE CATS!" Guess who this kitten singled out for affection--and who became her best friend.

Blackbeard's Peg
October 11th, 2007, 01:23 PM
FMIF, I hope your cat gets better. We have a dog who I swear has extended my dad's life expectancy. Sebastian has been a great companion for him, and gets him up off the couch, even if only for ~30 min a day.

SwimmieAvsFan, Your cat sounds wonderful! A fighter right from the start! So glad for you that he's doing well and is such a great friend!
As for the blue muppet, don't encourage her! :P but in truth, i do like him, and he too has been a great companion for her.

It is amazing how dogs, cats and some other animals can be such great companions for us humans - part of why they were put here in the first place.

swim4me
October 11th, 2007, 07:21 PM
FMIF - Sorry to hear about your Tabby with 'Tude. I hope she gets better quickly and comes home soon! I know how special furry friends can be. My Sheltie is my company now that my duaghter is away at school and my night owl runner hubby doesn't get home until after I am in bed. Best wishes and keep us posted.

poolraat
October 11th, 2007, 07:34 PM
My cat is totaly worthless and stupid! Why do Ilike him so much?

The Fortress
October 11th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Hi all,

Haven't had much time to even look at the forum, much less post the last couple days, because I've been tending to my six-going-on-seven year old tabby with 'tude. She suddenly lost interest in any food and was very listless. The same cat who on Monday was climbing all over my computer and nudging me for food would barely take a little water. I had her at the doctor on Tuesday and he gave her an antibiotic injection as well as some medicine for me to give her. But today, she still didn't seem any better, so I took her back to the vet, who said she'd need to stay and get IV fluids, x-rays, blood work. And I don't know what to expect or hope for. She's been such a wonderful companion and friend to me for the past almost seven years, and even though I know she needs the hospital care, I miss her. She doesn't ever travel--I always have cat sitters come to my place to feed/take care of her--so she's not used to strangers, and she's in a new and scary environment without me there to reassure her.

I feel so powerless right now. Swimming and running are taking a back seat for the moment.

Thanks for any thoughts/prayers, healing energy, etc.

Oh FMIF, I'm so sorry. I love my yowly howly Siamese cat too, even though I'm allergic to him. I have had this listless not eating thing happen to two different cats. Cat #1 had diabetes and, after diagnosis, had to get insulin shots. Cat #2 had swallowed some of that insidious crayola clay that is squishy and then hardens over time. Kids left it out, and he ate a bite. It hardened inside and blocked his intestines. When he hadn't eaten in a couple days, I took him to the vet and they did an x-ray, which showed the obstruction. Very expensive surgery ensued. Children will never own that crayola stuff again. So maybe she ingested something?

I hope you find the problem and can fix it! Keeping good thoughts! I think you can go visit her. The kids and I went to visit our cat before and after surgery.

FindingMyInnerFish
October 11th, 2007, 11:47 PM
Hi all, and again thanks for the support!

Poolraat... if that avatar pic is your cat, your cat is a cutie pie! And probably very smart, pretending to be worthless and stupid but really thinking, "I'm getting this dude hooked on me and waiting on my every whim!" :)

Leslie, thanks for the tips! The dr. is going to operate on Sat. The x-ray showed an abdominal mass which, he said, could be anything and the best way to get a diagnosis (and also treat at the same time) was surgery. He said that it could be any number of things, from very, very serious to very treatable. I'm getting intuitions that it could be the latter. Was very worried waiting for him to call b/c the person I first talked to didn't want to say anything--but the doctor, although not sugar coating anything at least was very thorough, helpful--and he's been very accommodating: he examined her on Tues. even though the office had already closed. And today he didn't sound like he was giving up hope, just letting me know both worst case and best case scenarios--also encouraged me to come visit her, which I'll do early tomorrow... and I think I'll bring something I wore or used for her cage, as a way to comfort her.

newmastersswimmer
October 12th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Sorry to hear about your cat FMIF! I hope she gets to feeling better real soon!!

knelson
October 12th, 2007, 01:01 AM
+++++vibes for your kitty!

FindingMyInnerFish
October 12th, 2007, 08:09 AM
Thanks folks--and I'm off to visit her soon...give her at least one familiar face today!

Slowswim
October 12th, 2007, 10:50 AM
FMIF:

Good lock with your cat!!:angel:

My day is going down hill fast. I had a terrible incident at the pool today and now I just got a call from my wife. She was just adopted by a white kitten while walking on the Silver Comet Trail (a previous RR Track now a paved trail). Its a small white persian looking kitten. She is deathly alergic to cats. If she picks it up, I'll have to get her from the ER, because it triggers her asthma.

She is so upset! She is calling everyone she knows that might want it.. Even our vet won't take it!?! I can tell she's been crying. I'd get her (my wife) myself, but I'd never make it back to work. She will worry about that kitten for months.

She rescued a cat in Germany once and it almost killed her. I'm worried she'll do something foolish; although, she promised not to.

ViveBene
October 12th, 2007, 11:04 AM
The dr. is going to operate on Sat. ... I think I'll bring something I wore or used for her cage, as a way to comfort her.

Hope everything works out! Something from home will surely help her through this ordeal.

Slowswim, a cat that adopted your wife will very likely adopt someone else, if your wife can bear to walk away from this. You (or she) could try going back in a few hours with a small amount of food, to tide the cat over and assuage your own feelings, if the cat is still there. I am betting cat will be long gone. They do make serious claims that are hard to ignore in the moment....

Extra pats for the animals and their human companions.

VB

poolraat
October 12th, 2007, 11:52 AM
FMIF - I hope your cat gets better.
The avater is a joke. Here is a pic of the worthless one. And he has us all well trained to attend to his every want and need.

Leonard Jansen
October 12th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Anyone want a kitten? I just rescued 3 of them and they are too adorable. Barely old enough to be away from their mother. The Court Without Appeal has declared that they must go to a good home since we already have 4 cats.

Living out in farm country is depressing that way, because people will drive out and drop off their unwanted animals. In the case of Dust Bunny, they dropped her off knowing that she was declawed and couldn't hunt very well. She was totally malnourished by the time we trapped her. In the words of Hunter S. Thompson: "My heart was filled with rage, and a hatred for all things human."

-LBJ

FindingMyInnerFish
October 13th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Say, folks, thanks for the prayers/good vibes/ good wishes!

Things are looking up now! My cat had the surgery and thankfully nothing malignant was found. Apparently it was something she'd swallowed and was making her sick. They're keeping her at the hospital for a few more days on antibiotics and IV fluids until she is ready to eat on her own and they can be sure they've dealt with the infection. So there's still a wait, but at least now I have more confidence of a homecoming!

I'll be soooo glad to have her on my lap again while I sit at the computer or read or watch tv! btw, if anyone has tips for what to expect, how to help make her homecoming go smoothly, I'll be grateful.

meldyck
October 14th, 2007, 07:16 AM
I'll be soooo glad to have her on my lap again while I sit at the computer or read or watch tv! btw, if anyone has tips for what to expect, how to help make her homecoming go smoothly, I'll be grateful.

If you have other cats, keep them separated initially because she will smell like a complete stranger when she gets back to your house. We had two brothers, one of whom had two surgeries. It took a few days before the healhy one didn't try to chase off his weaker brother.

swim4me
October 14th, 2007, 10:22 AM
I am so glad your Tabby is getting back her 'tude soon!:applaud: (And you will be getting your Tabby:groovy:)

Leonard Jansen
October 14th, 2007, 10:59 AM
If you have other cats in the house there is a product called Feliway that puts cat pheromones in the air and makes things more mellow. When we bring a new cat into the house, we do this.

Glad it is going well for Tabby w/'tude.

-LBJ

WPSWIMS
October 14th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I am also a cat lover! I had Rowdy, Mary T, and Steve for 18 years THey were born the day each of these swimmers won golds for the USA.
I adopted 2 new kittens and my son adopted the third kitten 3 years ago in Atlanta. The week before I moved to Colorado, both had a serious reaction to their shots, but recovered. It was very difficult for them to travel 3 days cross country, but they love their new home...more room to run and leap. They are healthy, silly, and lots of fun.
I wish your cat a speedy recovery.

indyswimbag
October 14th, 2007, 03:49 PM
glad to hear that your cat is getting better....I have 2 "furry kids" and when mine got sick last year it was horrible....hope that your kitty is better soon!

FindingMyInnerFish
October 14th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the tips, folks! No other cats in the house, so no complications there! I can tell you, she'll be one spoiled kitty when she returns! :)

swimshark
October 16th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Glad to hear your fur baby is doing better.

Alison