PDA

View Full Version : What's the furthest someone can swim fly with good form?

TomBrooklyn
October 13th, 2007, 06:12 AM
What's the furthest that somebody/most people/anybody/the best flyer can swim butterfly and keep good form?

meldyck
October 13th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Two years ago, I swam the 1000 fr as a fly event in the CO state SCY meet. This year Erica Leetmae swam the 1650 all fly in the same meet.

George Park will wade in with info about the Canadian woman who swam across Lake Erie or somewhere like that, all fly.

It can be done. I like to think of it as a practice of Zen: while you are swimming you are meditating, there is no pain and you are one with the water...

geochuck
October 13th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Tom and Meldyck

It all depends on what we call good form. I have really only seen good form when some one does a 50, 100 or 200. After that I see some very strange manipulations in the water that looks like fly. Some use butterfrog and call it butterfly.

nyswimmer
October 13th, 2007, 10:25 AM
A former teammate of mine, regularly swam fly in the 1650, with what looked to me like good form. (I have no idea what possesed her to do that :dunno: )

Lisa777
October 13th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Just talking about *me*... currently I can swim fly with very good form for about 25 yards. I have not tried 50 yet because I am quite sure I would not make it the whole way with good form and I think there is not point to swimming it with bad form. I am doing one arm drills (3 strokes one arm, 3 strokes the other, 3 regular both arm strokes, etc) on the lengths beyond the first 25 and hope to soon be able to swim a 50 with strength and good form. In the past I swam the 100 and 200 fly and I think my form was good. I remember once doing a 1000 fly in workout and being the only one to finish it and I remember enjoying it. lol I had a very strong stomach back then. That was over 20 years ago!

bud
October 13th, 2007, 11:59 AM
80.2 kilometres (http://www.penguinscanfly.ca/penguinscanfly/index.cfm?page=vicki_about)

Frank Thompson
October 13th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Bud:

About 25 years ago I saw these two twins that were swimming fly at the ISHOF pool. They were going to attempt to swim the English Channel all fly. They never made it but they set the World Record in the Ocean swimming 65.3 K/40.6 miles all fly. I have provided a link to a discussion about this last year.

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?p=70755&highlight=mary+meager#post70755

http://www.penguinscanfly.ca/penguinscanfly/index.cfm?page=million_dollar_marathon

TomBrooklyn
October 13th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I like to think of it as a practice of Zen: while you are swimming you are meditating, there is no pain and you are one with the water...
Awesome. I'd like to get some of that.

ViveBene
October 13th, 2007, 03:41 PM
One or two people make a point of swimming the annual 5k Big Shoulders event in Chicago all fly.

VB

swimchickee
October 13th, 2007, 11:39 PM
ehh.
for me only a 75 :[

gobears
October 14th, 2007, 10:18 PM
I saw Mary T. Meagher swim the mile* fly at a meet at Belmont Plaza back in 1983. She was in a guys' heat and beat some of the guys doing freestyle. Her lap counter kept holding up 11's and 12's (her 100 splits) so she could break 18 minutes and win dinner from Mark Shubert.

My coach at the time told me there were few people in the world that could even attempt such a feat. It was pretty cool to watch.

*Actually it was the 1500 and not the 1650.

swimshark
October 15th, 2007, 07:49 AM
I and a lot of others sat in amazement when Dennis Baker swam the 400 in a meet. We all thought he'd swim free like the others but he did it all fly. Perfect form the entire way. I'm sure he's done longer but not one I've witnessed. Oh and I believe he won his heat, too.

Alison

Frank Thompson
October 15th, 2007, 10:49 AM
He has done it longer. At a USA meet at ASU at the end of May of this year, he swam the 1500 Free and did it Fly swimming an 18:52.88 as a 45 year old. This was the same pool he swam in 25 years earlier an earned NCAA All American status for ASU. At this same meet he won the 200 meter fly and it was pointed out by Duncan Scott, who was announcing the race for Swimming World TV that he was three times older than the youngest competitior in the final. Now that is something that even Dara Torres has not done even though she is getting close to being three times older than her youngest competition.

geochuck
October 15th, 2007, 11:03 AM
If you do fly in a freestyle race, it is no longer butterfly it is freestyle. Now if you can fly that far and that fast would he have been faster swimming crawl???

I just do not know of many races for flyers over 200 meters.

Rob Copeland
October 15th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I just do not know of many races for flyers over 200 meters.The Australian Masters maintain records on each of the strokes up to 800M and contest races up to 1500M.

SwimStud
October 15th, 2007, 11:39 AM
ehh.
for me only a 75 :[

hahah you got me beat...I'm good on the dive...and that's up for debate ;)

geochuck
October 15th, 2007, 11:45 AM
The Australian Masters maintain records on each of the strokes up to 800M and contest races up to 1500M.
Do they recognize it as Butterfly if they swim Butterfrog. Are all these people doing Butterfly swimming Butterfly or Butterfrog? If they swim Butterfrog is it still called good form?

5 more days and I will fly away.

Leonard Jansen
October 15th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Gail Rice did the Key West race (12.5 miles) fly.

Also there was an English woman who was going to attempt fly for the entire MIMS (28.5 miles) in either '05 or '06 (I forget). If '05, then she didn't make it because the race was cancelled after 6-ish hours. I also remember hearing that this same woman either had done the Channel that way or was going to do the channel that way.

-LBJ

ande
October 15th, 2007, 04:04 PM
depends
some people have a long smooth fly stroke and they are like the energizer "fish"
they keep on going and going

my answer

not very

but it really depends on how hard I kick

a

What's the furthest that somebody/most people/anybody/the best flyer can swim butterfly and keep good form?

geochuck
October 15th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Here is 670 pages of fly videos http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=butterfly+swim&search=Search

Renaissance Swimmer
October 16th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Dennis Baker will be our meet director at LC nationals in August 2008. He claims he will be too busy to compete in the meet, but with some encouragement, maybe he can be persuaded to enter the 1500 and demonstrate whether he's up to a mile of fly with half the turns! See the Nationals Forum for more reasons to come to Oregon next August.

That Guy
October 17th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Dennis Baker will be our meet director at LC nationals in August 2008. He claims he will be too busy to compete in the meet, but with some encouragement, maybe he can be persuaded to enter the 1500 and demonstrate whether he's up to a mile of fly with half the turns! See the Nationals Forum for more reasons to come to Oregon next August.

Hey Clark, how are things at the Daily Planet? Parents still living in Smallville? Listen, can you have Lois give a message to Superman? Have her tell him that the people of Metropolis need Superman to swim the 1500 fly in August, so that Lex Luthor will be defeated once and for all! Thanks Clark!

Renaissance Swimmer
October 17th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Lois tells me that she passed the word to Superman yesterday. Superman says that, unlike Clark, he, Superman, likes an audience when he undertakes his superhuman feats. He's looking for the population of Metropolis to cheer him on if he's going a metric mile of fly. See the order of event here: http://www.lcnationals2008.net/O_of_E.htm

p.s. He also mentions that he is a U of Arizona grad, and would have never swum in a meet at ASU!

J0nath0n3
October 17th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Awesome. I'd like to get some of that.
Ditto dude.LOL.