PDA

View Full Version : Mentor versus Catalyst Paddles

TomBrooklyn
October 14th, 2007, 02:18 AM
What's the deal on the TYR Mentor paddles versus their Catalyst Bright paddles?

- I've seen posts from some people who like the Catalyst but none about the Mentor.

- The manufacturer describes both in about the same terms. I can't find much of a distinction there. From http://www.tyr.com/shop/equipment-training-equipment-c-68_69.html...

The Catalyst helps improve stroke technique while building strength. It's patented unique keyhole design helps more evenly distribute pressure while improving water feel and reducing shoulder stress.

The Mentor is designed to build strength without losing feel, and catches water quicker on the entry phase of the stroke than traditional paddles. It allows for maximum water feel and teaches you proper stoke techniques as well as specific strength development for all four competitive strokes. All while reducing shoulder stress.

- Both are designed by Ron Johnson, but the Mentor came later. Does that mean he wanted to improve on the Catalyst and the Mentor is therefore better?

TomBrooklyn
October 23rd, 2007, 06:04 PM
I wonder if the Mentor paddle is no good, if people don't buy paddles much anymore, or if the Catylst paddle is so well liked that the Mentor doesn't get bought much.

cathlaur
October 24th, 2007, 07:45 AM
I have no idea. I was told to buy the catalyst paddle when I showed up to the pool the first day with my bathing suit cap and googles thinking that was all I needed LOL. BOY was I wrong.

Katie