PDA

View Full Version : SOO I stepped out of the box

indyswimbag
October 14th, 2007, 03:55 PM
I attempted the impossible...yes for a brief moment in time I pretended that I had fast twitch muscles and did a 50 fr and a 50 BACK :doh: While I was less than thrilled with the idea I decided that every soo often you have to at least TRY new events...my last official SCM 50 free was 1999 and I even managed a best time on my 50bk.... Of course there was the standby 200breast and 1500 free to make up for any brusing of the ego as a result of the meager attempts to sprint.

I have no idea how you sprint studs do it...I was the last off the block and as for breathing WELLL...let's just say there was A LOT...and my poor legs had no idea what the :censor: I was doing trying to kick.

STILL it was pretty fun..I was pleased that I am at least trying new events even though I am a distance/breast person. How bout you guys? Anyone stepped "out of the box ?" I am sure that the people at the meet got a good giggle but for the most part it was pretty fun.

FindingMyInnerFish
October 14th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Congrats on the "out of the box" swims! :woot:

This will sound weird for someone doing longer open water events, but I felt it an act of courage in June to step from 50 and 100 free to 200 free. The reason: I am abysmally slow, so the shorter events reduce my chances of getting outrageously lapped and so I am only mildly lapped. ;) Whereas in open water, no one except the officials will pay that much attention to where you are placewise. In both the 50 and the 200, I actually managed to beat one person. In the 200, that person was in her 80s (and I think in the 50 as well, same situation, but at least I didn't as in my first LCM 50 raise my head about 2/3 of the way through thinking "is this a pool or open water?"). :o

Pool meets are a whole different kettle of fish for someone who likes open water, but great for the workout you get! Just a person has to not get too self conscious about her speed.

swimshark
October 14th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Way to go for stepping out of the box. I'm 100% with you about sprinting and how people do it. I am also a long distance free-er and 200 breast-er.

I steped out of the box all year so far. Starting with the 400 IM in March and then the 200 fly in April. During LCM season, I did the 400 IM again (yes, I liked it). I didn't do any long distance since I had a bad wrist so I found this year so far to be a out fo the box year. My wrist has been fixed and now I'm ready to get back to the events that are more my style. Although I really like the 400 IM so I will continue that.

Alison

indyswimbag
October 14th, 2007, 07:41 PM
:cheerleader: Swimshark...you are definately one of my heros...I don't know that I will ever be able to do a 200 fly...as for the 400 IM...it is a rather addicting event isn't it.

FMIF- Open water is by far and away IMHO a much harder kettle of:fish2: because I myself need that black line to help keep me going in the same direction...and the 200 free is a rather challenging event because it to me is not distance but it isn't a sprint...so that is an event that I haven't really tried yet so way to go:D

The Fortress
October 14th, 2007, 08:34 PM
How bout you guys? Anyone stepped "out of the box ?" I am sure that the people at the meet got a good giggle but for the most part it was pretty fun.

Once a year, I swim the 50 evilstroke. Isn't that enough?!

(I'm thinking of maybe, only maybe, trying a 200. Contemplating the intense pain level and possible effect on another event ...)

I have no idea how you distance swimmers do it! SwimShark is awesome at the 400 IM!

talne621
October 14th, 2007, 08:53 PM
i usually just swim free. i like the distance free events. at zones i am going to try the 3 IM's including the 400IM for the first time in a race.

swimmerlady
October 14th, 2007, 09:24 PM
I attempted the impossible...yes for a brief moment in time I pretended that I had fast twitch muscle...... Anyone stepped "out of the box ?"

Hey good for you way to go!!! I also stick to events like 200Br, 400 IM and distance free.....all the events I did 20 years ago. What I don't understand is how can I get to within 10 seconds of my PB in the 200 Br and can only get within 12 seconds of my best 100 free time?? I just can't seem to get this old body to move fast in a short race.

As for stepping out of the box - I would love to do a 200 Backstroke or a 50 back. But I am afraid to do a backstroke start. I mean I don't have a place to practice one and it has been so many years - and now you can't curl your toes over the gutter. I am afraid I would embarrass myself by doing something that looked like a back flop...was it hard to do a back start??

swimmerlady
October 14th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Once a year, I swim the 50 evilstroke. Isn't that enough?!

I have to ask.........the evilstroke???
which one is yours? Backstroke is my evil stroke.......the kick is killer....you can't drag the feet or do a two beat kick like in free...

The Fortress
October 14th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I have to ask.........the evilstroke???
which one is yours? Backstroke is my evil stroke.......the kick is killer....you can't drag the feet or do a two beat kick like in free...

Evilstroke = breaststroke, for me.

But many masters swimmer seem to hate backstroke too. Do not -- even for one second -- worry about flopping on your back on the backstroke start. That accounts for about 50% of masters backstroke starts. I've seen great swimmer flop on their backs. No worries. I did my first backstroke start in a meet after 24 years. Not ideal. Better to practice, but you'll get by. Don't let that stop you! :cheerleader:

That Guy
October 15th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Evilstroke = breaststroke, for me.

I'm lousy at breaststroke but am not afraid to enter breaststroke events, and the 400 IM is my favorite event, so I'll say that my evilstroke is... sidestroke, since I could probably do a decent elementary backstroke if properly motivated. :drown: (If anyone wants to start up a sidestroke or elementary backstroke trash-talking thread, I promise to post something that no one will feel compelled to respond to. I end threads... you can look it up...)

Anyway to step out of my "box" this fall I'm going to join the Butternut Club by swimming at least 500 fly at some point. I train plenty of fly; my only enemy in this endeavor is my own brain. :drink: :wine: :drink: :wine: Take THAT, brain! (sorry, liver)

swimshark
October 15th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Anyway to step out of my "box" this fall I'm going to join the Butternut Club by swimming at least 500 fly at some point. (sorry, liver)

We will be doing that in practice one day. Not looking forward to that day....

Fort, you are too kind. My 400 IM needs work, big time. And I'm a backstroke start flopper, too. I keep thinking about what you say about the start and one day I'll attempt it again. Worried about the :rofl: If you attempt the 200 breast, I'll swim right there beside you.

Bridget, the 200 fly was so I could say I did it before I died. Now it's done and won't be done again. We used to do 3x200 fly in practice so doing it in a meet wasn't too bad but not something I'll keep up with. You and I must be twins in swimming. We think a lot a like.

Alison

cathlaur
October 15th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Congrats on stepping out of the box. That is wonderful. Good for you.

I was always a better sprinter than long distance swimmer. I have not gone to a Masters meet yet and am not sure when I will. So my first meet will be my stepping out of the box LOL

Wow you people all amaze me :applaud:.

Katie

swimminlyn
October 15th, 2007, 10:03 AM
I pick a new event every year to swim just so that I am not doing all free. Last year I decided it was going to be the 400IM. It was not fast but I really enjoyed it and now I swim it all the time. This year it is going to be the 200 fly, but I am just going to try all kinds of things to see what I like best. It may not be fast and may not be pretty, but I want to have fun. March will be time to pick events to be serious about to get ready for Austin.

swimshark
October 15th, 2007, 03:06 PM
I pick a new event every year to swim just so that I am not doing all free. Last year I decided it was going to be the 400IM. It was not fast but I really enjoyed it and now I swim it all the time. This year it is going to be the 200 fly, but I am just going to try all kinds of things to see what I like best. It may not be fast and may not be pretty, but I want to have fun. March will be time to pick events to be serious about to get ready for Austin.

Linda, that is a great idea.

Thomas, good luck with the IMs at zones.

Alison

aquaFeisty
October 15th, 2007, 10:18 PM
congrats to everyone who has stepped out of the box!!!

I got the Le Tour de Pool shirt for the checkoff challenge and I've since swam my first ever mile and 200 back this year!!! Only event left to check off on the shirt is the 200 fly... it will be a first time and I'm a little nervous. I have to do the whole thing without resorting to a breaststroke kick in order for it to count in my mind! :)

The Fortress
October 15th, 2007, 10:30 PM
I've since swam my first ever mile and 200 back this year!!!

You swam the 200 back?! OK, now you've made me feel totally terrible and whimpish. :thhbbb: Good luck on the 2-fly! No amount of humiliation and peer pressure will make me succumb to that one!

Allen Stark
October 16th, 2007, 12:20 AM
2 years ago I swam in our Animal Meet.400 IM,200 fly,1000 free. Way out of the box for this breaststroke sprinter. 400 IM was survivable:cane:,200 butterfrog was easier than I feared(love that whip kick:bouncing::bouncing:) After swimming that I figured the free couldn't be too bad as I do that in workout sometimes. After the first 100 my arms felt like lead and I couldn't believe I had 900 more to go:help::help:.If my shoulders are OK I may swim it again this year.

indyswimbag
October 16th, 2007, 06:16 PM
:drink::drink:I have one thing to ask both Fort and swimmerlady....

There is a START?? in Backstroke...:thhbbb: I usually just find myself falling in as well...that is a goal of mine..to sometime learn a rather passable back start. I am going up to Indy here for a meet on the 27th and 28th...I am swimming all my favorites (distance/breast/Im) BUT have challenged myself to 3 events that are again "outside of my box" the 200free/ the 100IM and lo and behold...the 200 Back....:rofl::rofl:

my evilstroke would have to be the fly on even days of the month and back on the odd ones.. of course any free event under 500 is also asking for trouble because the only fast twitch I seem to have are in my eyes and my mouth :p. I am however always pretending to practice those when I swim in hopes that the IM will improve. The only outside the box events that I have left are the 100back and the 200fly..then I will have done them all at least once.

Congrats to all of us who have at least tried to do new things...who says masters are "old dogs" that can't learn a few new tricks:drink::drink:

aquaFeisty
October 16th, 2007, 06:55 PM
You swam the 200 back?! OK, now you've made me feel totally terrible and whimpish. :thhbbb: Good luck on the 2-fly! No amount of humiliation and peer pressure will make me succumb to that one!

at practice Leslie, practice... the mile was done at practice too, though that one was done at pretty much top speed since I took it out nearly as fast as I took out the 1000 at State 2 years ago.

the 2-fly will be done either at a meet or in a time trial because, dangit, I want the extra glide that a start from the blocks will give me!!!