PDA

View Full Version : Finally feel like a swimmer! Kind of LOL

cathlaur
October 15th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Well I think I have broken the wall. I am not near as tired at night ( OMG the first two weeks were brutal, I was in bed by 8-8:30) and getting up is easier at 4:45 am.

The swimming was really hard in the beginning. It is still hard but I can work through it much easier. I am improving. I am much stronger than I was and faster. I was even asked today if I had lost weight :applaud:. I dont think so but I have lost inches in my back.

I understand the swimming lingo. At first I was a little out of it. I have all my swim equipment and love using it.

I think they say it takes 28 days to break a habit. Well I am over that now and I think I am in a routine, swimming has just become something I have to and need to do 4 times a week. The fact that I enjoy it is wonderful and I must admit a little surprising. I used to get bored when I swam as a youngster. I guess the older mind likes it better than my young one did.

I am lucky to have a good coach and fun people to swim with. No one makes you feel like you are not doing incredible. It is all wonderful

I do hate the drive to work now but I guess it is a small price to pay for my physical and mental health.

Thanks everyone here for your words of wisdom , help, expertise and humour

Cheers

Katie

waves101
October 15th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Congrats Katie. Put the memory of this feeling in a section of your mind so that you can draw on it in a few months when the newness wears off. Then you can recall the feeling and get thru the time when you start to think, "I don't want to swim today". Believe me, the time will come and you'll need something to draw on. But, for now revel in your new found glory!

Mighty Minnow
October 15th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Congratulations!
Took me TWO months to finally make it thru a workout.....now its a habit getting up at 5:00am in the mornings. I too lost inches, (alas no weight). Its nice to see some 'deifinition' where muscles should be instead of just fat!

Keep up the good work!

-Julia

swimminlyn
October 15th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Congrats Katie.

It is a great feeling. And as just said, you will need something to draw from. I have been getting up at 4:45 for almost 3 yrs and there are many days that I don't want to go. Today was one of them. I will go swim tonight and all will be right with the world, but I just feel better to get up and get in the water.

Just keep pushing and you will achieve all your goals. Before you know it you will have to make new ones.

cathlaur
October 15th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Thanks Waves

I will put that memory in the bank. I know when it is minus 30 ( celcius) and snowing I might want to forget everything. Yes the newness is fun.

Julia Congrats to you to. It is amazing how our body adjusts. I am at 4:45 and it is okay LOL. When I slept in til 8:15 this weekend I could not believe it LOL.

I am getting through the swims. I must admit I went out too fast and hard initially and I paid for it. Tired tired tired and very sore. But I swam past it and am now doing okay.

I guess we should be happy with the inches. The pounds will follow later.

Katie

swimshark
October 16th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Yeah Katie. I'm glad you are enjoying it so much as well as getting good benefits from it. As waves said, keep this feeling for those days when getting up seems so hard.

One thing I do is look forward to something. Right now I have the sprint meet in 2 weeks. Then I will train for a meet in early Dec. Training for those meets is what really keeps me going. Without something like that to look forward to, my attitude changes and it's not pretty.

Alison