PDA

View Full Version : Crazy British Sports! Now with added details and photos!

SwimStud
October 15th, 2007, 01:46 PM
...and now, Conkers!

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/offbeat/2007/10/14/hudson.conkers.champ.itn

scyfreestyler
October 15th, 2007, 02:23 PM
I am amazed by the size of the crowd this "sporting event" has drawn.

Peter Cruise
October 15th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Before we make too much fun of this typically eccentric Britsport, pause to consider the large amount of coverage hot dog eating contests now command on this side of the pond...

SwimStud
October 15th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Before we make too much fun of this typically eccentric Britsport, pause to consider the large amount of coverage hot dog eating contests now command on this side of the pond...

Conkers was an awesome game when we were kids. There was a Horse Chestnut tree in the playground and the first stage of "conker season" was the fight over conkers on the ground. The second stage was finding other trees and and climbing them to pluck the conkers.
Third came soaking in vinegar at home.
Fourth, getting Dad to drill a hole for the lace or boring it yourself with a skewer, eliciting the usual Mumism "you'll poke your eye out with that."
Fifth, going to school and talking your conker up to your friends.
Sixth, the showdown in the playground where legends were forged of "cheesers" that smashed any other conker they met with.

"Stringsies," was called when the laces entagled and the swing was replayed. Most certanly foul play befell any conker that came off of it's string and landed on the ground, whether if was stolen, or met it's end under a monkey boot. Tears were shed and egos dessimated when your conker fell...and after a few weeks when conkers were no more...we'd talk abuot how next year it would be different...

The left picture shows the prickly ball you had to split open to get your conker out; the right a half hatched conker...

knelson
October 15th, 2007, 03:43 PM
It does look like a great playground game. For adults? Not so sure...

quicksilver
October 15th, 2007, 05:01 PM
[quote=SwimStud;109889]...and now, Conkers!

"The left picture shows the prickly ball you had to split open to get your conker out; the right a half hatched conker..."

And does alcohol play a role in any of this?

SwimStud
October 15th, 2007, 05:04 PM
[quote=SwimStud;109889]...and now, Conkers!

"The left picture shows the prickly ball you had to split open to get your conker out; the right a half hatched conker..."

And does alcohol play a role in any of this?

Not when you under 10, no. Those things are like prickly baseballs...bigger kids used to throw them at the smaller kids...thus it was the stragglers and the infirm that got it worse. Survival of the fittest and fastest etc...natural selection in brutal action...lol.

Though our year did stand firm once and take on the year 2 above us in a fight...that was actually a fun afternoon because it was just wrestling kind of stuff no violent punching and kicking...

quicksilver
October 15th, 2007, 05:11 PM
We had them too. In the playground...where they were used as ammunition by the kids playing "army".

Being the pacifist, I always thought they looked like sea urchins.

bud
October 16th, 2007, 12:08 PM
ah! these are buckeyes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conker

when i lived in central Tennessee this old guy told me that: "No self respecting Tennessean would ever be caught dead without his 'lucky buckeye' in his pocket."

scwids
October 17th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Fascinating! Although at the beginning of the clip when the announcer started talking about "Full-on Conker action", I wasn't quite sure what I was going to be watching...:blush:

SwimStud
October 17th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Fascinating! Although at the beginning of the clip when the announcer started talking about "Full-on Conker action", I wasn't quite sure what I was going to be watching...:blush:

Yet, that didn't stop you watching...you ought to double or triple :blush:

LOL

scwids
October 17th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Yet, that didn't stop you watching...you ought to double or triple :blush:

LOL

How do you know I didn't watch it TWICE!?!?! :blush::blush::blush:

SwimStud
October 17th, 2007, 01:16 PM
How do you know I didn't watch it TWICE!?!?! :blush::blush::blush:

hahaha
:rofl:

Try it on slow advance ;)

scwids
October 19th, 2007, 08:55 AM
hahaha
:rofl:

Try it on slow advance ;)

So how do you ask someone how good a player they are without sounding perverted? "Excuse me, how strong is your conker? A fiver, perhaps?" :eek:

SwimStud
October 19th, 2007, 09:04 AM
So how do you ask someone how good a player they are without sounding perverted? "Excuse me, how strong is your conker? A fiver, perhaps?" :eek:

"It's a least a sixer..."

:rofl:hahahaha

scwids
October 19th, 2007, 04:08 PM
"It's a least a sixer..."

:rofl:hahahaha

Wow!! So that makes you, what, Mega-Conker? Uber-Conker? :joker: