PDA

View Full Version : Do you drink coffee/caffeine?

cathlaur
October 17th, 2007, 01:26 PM
As so many of you are fit and healthy , I just wanted to know if you drink coffee or use caffeine products? I have been thinking of giving up coffee for a while. But I really love green tea. Just a little splenda and that is it. With coffee I use cream and splenda ( I know , I know) .

I would love to hear peoples take on caffeine.

In the last 2 months I have given up all aspartame products and feel so much better. Now I am thinking coffee. But I refuse to give up rum:thhbbb:

Katie

The Fortress
October 17th, 2007, 01:32 PM
No, I drink coffee every morning. I also ingest it during swim meets. No plans to give it up at all. Not wine either. :thhbbb:

cathlaur
October 17th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Ha you are very funny :groovy:. Glad to see you have some vices!

I wanted to let you know I went through your photos on one of the links. MAN You are in good shape. Congrats.

I have blood pressure issues, I cannot drink coffee without the cream but love green tea black with a little splenda. So I am thinking. Ditch the coffee. Hubby gave it up about 3 years ago. He will have the odd Tim Hortons coffee maybe 5 times a year. If I give up coffee I can take the coffee maker off of the counter and put it away for company.

I so want to get healthier,lower the blood pressure and lose some weight.

Katie

The Fortress
October 17th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Ha you are very funny :groovy:. Glad to see you have some vices!

I wanted to let you know I went through your photos on one of the links. MAN You are in good shape. Congrats.

I have blood pressure issues, I cannot drink coffee without the cream but love green tea black with a little splenda. So I am thinking. Ditch the coffee. Hubby gave it up about 3 years ago. He will have the odd Tim Hortons coffee maybe 5 times a year. If I give up coffee I can take the coffee maker off of the counter and put it away for company.

I so want to get healthier,lower the blood pressure and lose some weight.

Katie

Oh, I've got lots of vices. I swim and run so I can eat and drink. I hate diets. But age is catching up to me a bit. And I sure could use more sleep.

I'd stick with the green tea then. Love that stuff too. Keep swimming -- you'll lose weight.

I'm off to run so I can have a late night snack later. But I'm wearing gym shorts with a big "SWIM" on the back, so I'm doing my part for USMS.

cathlaur
October 17th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Run for me then to, I will never be a runner.

I know that I will lose the weight with swimming ( inches are coming off already). That is why I am trying to make some life changes that will help. I want to be able to eat tooooooooooooooooooo. I LOVE IT. LOL

Sleep is good to !

Have a great day

Katie

nkfrench
October 17th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Weekdays I LOVE my morning caffeine. They let me bring an espresso machine to work so I could make my own skim milk lattes while my PC boots. The rest of the time I bathe my teeth in another staining substance, Diet Coke. I am so bleary without it until at least noon. Thank goodness our Corporate Mother hasn't decided that it's the next thing to ban along with smoking and drinking alcohol during lunch.

cathlaur
October 17th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Nancy

I am lucky I work in a very non supervised job but I hear you on the taking away things from employees. But the no smoking and drinking is a good thing:woot:LOL LOL

I know you dont want to hear this .....but 2 months ago I gave up my 25 year serious serious diet coke addiction. IT was painful. I felt sick , Okay I won't go into all the gory details but it was hard. I am now so much healthier. That aspartame is bad stuff. In Canada we cannot get Diet Rite or I would be drinking it ( uses splenda which is probably still not great)

I guess everything in moderation is a good way to live

Katie

Midas
October 17th, 2007, 03:36 PM
I quit drinking caffeine seven years ago. The price for doing so was a six-week headache that was absolutely brutal at first. Yep. Caffeine is addictive. I went cold turkey though and perhaps easing out of it would be less painful... But since getting that monkey off my back, I've never regretted it. I have more energy in the morning (and all day, honestly) than most coffee drinkers I know. Many people say they can't wake up without it but I really feel (based on my own experience) that once you kick the addiction you'll be just fine.

Having said that, caffeine is hardly a terrible "vice" and I've even read that in moderation it might have positive health benefits. Of course with the giant cups I see most people carrying around it would seem many coffee drinkers go way beyond moderation...

geochuck
October 17th, 2007, 04:02 PM
I quit drinking coffee when it went up in price from 5 cents a cup to 7 cents a cup for about 10 minutes. I am still drinking it. In Canada we drink lots of coffeee and lots of beer.

swimshark
October 17th, 2007, 04:38 PM
I have never been a cooffee drinker but occasionally I will drink Coke. Occasionally I mean maybe once a month. I do love Chai Tea. It is by far my favorite caffeine drink.

Alison

Swimmer Bill
October 17th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Even though I have an espresso machine, a French press, a stovetop espresso pot, a standard :coffee:maker, a grinder, and a whole kitchen cabinet dedicated to :coffee: mugs and paraphernalia, I am NOT addicted to :coffee:!!

hofffam
October 17th, 2007, 04:50 PM
I drink coffee every day, including about half a cup in the car on my way to swim in the morning. I finish that cup driving from the pool to work. Then I have three more cups before noon. All black coffee, no sugar, no cream.

There is very little scientific evidence that coffee or caffeine in moderate amounts is harmful.

I have proven to myself that I can do without - I have gone a weekend without any caffeine and I have no headaches or other discomfort.

I simply enjoy the taste of strong black coffee and it makes me happy to drink it.

I also have VERY high blood pressure, but take medication for it. My BP is well within the normal range whether or not I have had coffee.

knelson
October 17th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I finish that cup driving from the pool to work.

Cold coffee? Yuck! I love black coffee, too, but only hot coffee. I typically drink a cup with breakfast at home before leaving for work, then one at work, then a couple after dinner at night. I try not to drink any after 9:00 p.m., but I don't think it really matters. I don't have problems sleeping. Coffee is the only caffeinated beverage I drink. No (soda) pop.

hofffam
October 17th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Cold coffee? Yuck! I love black coffee, too, but only hot coffee. I typically drink a cup with breakfast at home before leaving for work, then one at work, then a couple after dinner at night. I try not to drink any after 9:00 p.m., but I don't think it really matters. I don't have problems sleeping. Coffee is the only caffeinated beverage I drink. No (soda) pop.

Haha - I agree no cold coffee! My insulated coffee mug (Thermos brand) does a decent job keeping the coffee warm - even after 90-100 minutes in my car while I'm swimming.

I cannot drink coffee after dinner though. I'm amazed you can do that.

Lucy Crabapple
October 17th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Don't you mean 'nectar of the gods'? ;) An affirmative. I'm so bad that I bring a large travel mug with me to morning practice. I'm not the only one now - call me the enabler for my lane, as my lane buddy now does the same thing.

Doesn't do anything to help my times, but I'm at least slightly more coherent.

Thrashing Slug
October 17th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I like coffee, especially Kenya.

Just as long as it doesn't have too much cream. Lattes, frappes, and other pseudo coffee beverages make me gag.

I don't normally drink coffee before swimming. I usually have one cup right after, at work. Occassionally I will use caffeine before a practice if I'm really hungry and/or tired, but my preferred vehicles for delivery are Carb-Boom gels, Clif Bars (the ones with the kola nut extract in them) or a few sips of a Rockstar. Coffee I drink mainly for the taste. Or at least, I think I do. Maybe I'm conditioned to like the taste because I'm addicted. :D

I have noticed that coffee goes pretty easy on my stomach, even before a hard practice or a race. Yet for some reason I just don't have the desire to drink a hot beverage before I swim.

FindingMyInnerFish
October 17th, 2007, 08:42 PM
I LOVE my cuppajava! And my feeling is, the benefits and risks probably counter balance each other... the stuff is way healthier than, say, transfats! There was an ordinance passed in Philly recently, btw, that requires restaurants to stop using transfats... okay, I'm down with that... but they'd better keep their ordinances out of my coffee! :bouncing:

Interestingly, after I run, especially if it's a long run, interval workout, or race, coffee just tastes and feels HEAVENLY! (Yes, I do drink water first before taking the coffee, although I understand that coffee's not, contrary to myth, dehydrating.)

btw, like hofffam, I drink it black, no sugar, no cream. Used to use both sugar and cream but one time, trying to lose weight, I was experimenting to see what I could leave out, sugar, cream, both... after a while, I was down to no add-ons at all, and now I prefer it that way.

If coffee raises blood pressure, it's probably a good thing I drink it, since my bp has been recorded as low as 97/49. That means I could be comatose without it. ;)

nyswimmer
October 17th, 2007, 09:25 PM
I'm more or less addicted to the stuff -- don't think I could stay awake at my job without it (but that may just be because my job is so, um, exciting). Mayor Bloomberg better not try to ban caffeine, now. :bouncing:

chaos
October 17th, 2007, 09:46 PM
i only drink coffee when i'm trying to quit.
on average 4 double shots per day......but i'm trying to quit....really.
my life is surrounded by shiney professional chrome espresso machines and the ritual of grind, pack, lock and load hit the switch and gurgle, gurgle....but no.... i won't do it ...its almost 10 pm.....see what you started!

SwimStud
October 17th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I love a cup of tea...pinky extended of course...

david.margrave
October 17th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I gave up caffeine for 6 months as an experiment. It had no effect on my ability to get to sleep (I still had trouble sometimes), so I started up again. Exercise seems to be better than giving up caffeine. I'm prone to vicious caffeine headaches if I stop abruptly.

Is it permitted to chug down a starbucks before a 50 free at a USMS meet?

ALM
October 17th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Is it permitted to chug down a starbucks before a 50 free at a USMS meet?

Yes, as long as I'm not the one timing in your lane. :)

-

ensignada
October 17th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Love coffee/caffeine in the morning. Gave it up for a pregnancy with no real issues (constant nausea probably distracted me from withdrawal). The first "real" cup I had the morning after delivering though tasted fabulous...and it was hospital coffee.

cathlaur
October 18th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Thanks for all the replys. I am going to cut down my coffee to 1 or two a day the rest tea and water.

I love it as well but keep hearing it will help my blood pressure if I drop it. I am surprised I am still alive after todays workout LOL

Katie

Blackbeard's Peg
October 18th, 2007, 02:26 PM
i had my best LCM 400 free at a meet where i was frazzled being meet director, exhausted from not sleeping, and having a cup of coffee mid-way through the meet.
however, i do notice that my weight does tend to go up a tad when I drink daily. i have also noticed that i do suffer from withdrawl 24 hours later if i don't have another cup. oh what a headache.
in other words, i try to avoid coffee, but if i am dying, i don't hesitate.

Warren
October 18th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Iv been drinking coffee almost every weekday since I was 12.

tjburk
October 18th, 2007, 10:26 PM
Monday thru Friday every week....absolutamente!!!!! My favorite is Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee....a little expensive, but well worth it!!! :coffee::coffee:

Warren
October 19th, 2007, 02:22 AM
I like folgers gormet dark coffee, I drink it black.

Slowswim
October 19th, 2007, 09:36 AM
I drink several cups every day. I have Rosacea so I can't drink hot liquids so I make a batch of Ice Coffee and bring it to work with me. Most people I work with think its some kind of high powered protein drink.:cool:

CreamPuff
October 19th, 2007, 03:52 PM
None now. I feel much better.

I only ingest some right before I swim a race in a meet. Very helpful.

rtodd
October 19th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Drink coffe everyday. Also take MetR-x amped which is equivalent to three cups if I am going to do some sprint work or before a meet.

Stimulants are good for training and meets when used in moderation.

Swan
November 1st, 2007, 02:10 PM
I quit drinking caffeine seven years ago. The price for doing so was a six-week headache that was absolutely brutal at first. Yep. Caffeine is addictive. I went cold turkey though and perhaps easing out of it would be less painful... But since getting that monkey off my back, I've never regretted it. I have more energy in the morning (and all day, honestly) than most coffee drinkers I know. Many people say they can't wake up without it but I really feel (based on my own experience) that once you kick the addiction you'll be just fine.

Having said that, caffeine is hardly a terrible "vice" and I've even read that in moderation it might have positive health benefits. Of course with the giant cups I see most people carrying around it would seem many coffee drinkers go way beyond moderation...

Midas, I'm with you!
I stopped drinking coffee (cold turkey) about 2 1/2 years ago and had those same headaches for 6 weeks. Not real bad but just always there. The interesting thing is that I originally started drinking coffee in college to help me wake up in the morning. I was worried that if I stopped, I wouldn’t be able to get up as easily. As it turned out, no problem: I still bounce out of bed and into the pool!
Katie:
I wouldn’t want to proselytize, but if you gave up aspartame because it is bad, do you think that Splenda isn’t bad also (Dextrose, Maltodextrin, Sucralose). Wasn’t if Jack LaLanne who says something like: "If it's made by man, I don't eat it." Perhaps you might want to try a little Stevia instead of sugar/Equal/Splenda etc!

Swan