PDA

View Full Version : Flu Shot Warning

aquaFeisty
October 17th, 2007, 02:29 PM
No, this isn't a post about any internal sickness related to receiving the flu shot... this is about the physical effects.

I got my flu shot last Thursday in the right shoulder. The needle went in at the top of my shoulder, just below the acromion. The shot itself did not hurt at all, but within about 4 hours, DANG! My shoulder was incredibly sore, slightly swollen, and hurt like heck to raise my arm above my head. I tried to swim the next day and only managed 200 yards before resorting to an all-kick workout. By yesterday (Tuesday) the shoulder was feeling pretty much back to normal.

Yes, it's possible I'm the wimpiest whiniest patient ever to grace the earth (my poor 2 year old typically gets 4 immunization shots all at once when she visits the doctor and might roll her eyes at this post could she read), but still. Has this ever happened to anyone?

So... Just wanted to send out a warning that anyone getting the flu shot might want to get it AFTER their big fall meet (if you're planning on a SCM meet) or when you're in a training lull or maybe ask to get the shot in the leg/somewhere other than the shoulder.

cathlaur
October 17th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Yikes

The girls and I are getting ours next Wednesday. I really think it depends on what is in the vaccine and how it affects us.

I will certainly let you know next week after I get mine. OUCH.

Katie

Midas
October 17th, 2007, 03:27 PM
My wife had the same thing--her arm was very sore/tender for a couple of days. I held off on getting mine until after SCM championships this weekend. :D

swimshark
October 17th, 2007, 03:33 PM
I've had my arm hurt afterwards, too. But thanks for the reminder since I'm getting mine soon and I have a meet on the 28th. I'll wait until after then.

Alison

The Fortress
October 17th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Can always do FluMist. No shot necessary!

amswimmer
October 17th, 2007, 04:09 PM
FluMist is only for those under 50 years old. I got my shot yesterday and had no problem. I also have a meet this weekend.

fanstone
October 17th, 2007, 04:12 PM
As Forrest Gump would say: "don't they give shots in the buttocks any more?" There is a technique (Rochester?)in the ventro-gluteo region which is less painfull. It is in the triangle formed by you femur and iliac, the protusions on the side of your thighs...But then, when I need a shot I get my own wife to do me...hehehe..she is a RN. If it were I.V. I would probably do myself...seems I am missing something here, using funny language. billy fanstone

fanstone
October 17th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Ooops, my wife just corrected me. There are no vaccinations done other than in the deltoid region. It is a question of public health and pattern teaching. Sorry for the mess, billy fanstone

slknight
October 17th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Ouch! I had the same problem with a tetanus shot in high school. I had it done a few days before my summer league divisional meet and I could barely lift my arm. :shakeshead:

fanstone
October 17th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Forget everything I wrote. The vaccine can be given anywhere. In France they give it in the shoulder region, the trapezius muscle, forget what the name is in English. So, you might ask the person giving the vaccine to give in the buttocks, or thigh or wherever...depending on the liabilities and so forth...billy fanstone
P.S. I got the information from an infectiologist with whom I swim.

nyswimmer
October 17th, 2007, 07:01 PM
That's happened to me almost every time I've had a flu shot. When it didn't happen last year, I was wondering if the shot didn't take (but I didn't get the flu, so I guess it did). Anyway, a sore shoulder for a couple of days is better than the flu for a week or two. :groovy:

ensignada
October 17th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Yes, it's possible I'm the wimpiest whiniest patient ever to grace the earth (my poor 2 year old typically gets 4 immunization shots all at once when she visits the doctor and might roll her eyes at this post could she read), but still. Has this ever happened to anyone?

When I went back to grad school briefly in my 30s, I had to get all my childhood immunizations over again (insurance wouldn't pay for titers, go figure). Anywho, that MMR shot, Carrie, hurt like the dickens for days. My doctor warned me and convinced me to get it in my butt/hip - which may be great for toddlers, but was a baaaad idea for someone with an hour plus commute each day! Ouch! Kudos to the little kids who get these without complaining.

Slowswim
October 18th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Last year I did the inhaler. Too easy and the first time I haven't gotten the flu.

Supposedly, the inhaler has more strains in it and better received by the body.

Oh yeah, it's painless too.:woot:

dorothyrde
October 18th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Oh dear, I get mine on a Tuesday and I swim on Tuesday. Perhaps an Aleve will aleviate it?

Slowswim
October 18th, 2007, 04:47 PM
If you are going to take something for the shot, take it before not after. It works much better. Learned that one after my daughter's first vaccinations.

stussy96
October 18th, 2007, 07:00 PM
All I can say is keep moving your arm, as much as it hurts. The worst thing you can do is baby it. At last my friend told me that...she's a nurse praticioner. I think she knows what she's talking about.

I remember we were forced to get them in college. Team requirement. So my teammates and I got them after practice one evening. I ate dinner and lounged around most of the night, so I didn't notice the soreness/stiffness.

Next morning, back at the pool. I felt like my left arm had been lifting weights all night. I never felt soreness like that before. Almost none of us could hold our arms up to even stretch them. It was HORRIBLE!! Worst feeling ever. Then we had to go swim for 2 hrs. Haha.

It lasted 2-3 days. It sucked, but I managed to avoid the flu for the years I got it.

aquaFeisty
October 19th, 2007, 08:50 AM
well, glad I'm not the only one that's had the sore arm syndrome! Stacey, I can't believe you had to do a 2 hour practice with that sore arm! OUCH!

I haven't gotten a sore arm every year I've had the flu shot and I DEFINITELY recommend getting the shot! I'm just saying be cognizant of the timing... Other events (daughter having exorcist-like stomach flu) prevented me getting back in the water till Wed this week, but when I did there was not a trace of soreness.

Bill, my dr doesn't do the FluMist for some reason. cost, maybe?