PDA

View Full Version : Okay, Many Questions, Starting With.. How do i improove my freestyle?

J0nath0n3
October 17th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Okay, So, My record on the 50m free is 26s.
It sucks.
Im 6'4
190lbs

And i SUCK at everything else. (not really) im just not down with some stuff yeat, im too panzy to do Backstroke ( im extremelly fast ) but have the biggest fear of hitting my head on the wall.

After i do a 50 butter fly.. i can no longer do it perfect. IT SUCKS.

Right now my best stroke is the freestyle, and i want to make state this year with a 23.50 sec 50 individual free style on in a relay.

What do you guys suggest me to do Im going to start practice this year this tuesday oct. 23. And i will try anything to make me improove my swimming skills.

I wanna work on my Jumps, My flip turns, and how i do my stroke.. whatever makes me move faster then normal! PLEEEASE help. Ive looked everywhere and i cant seem to find a reasonable answear. I know practice makes better, but:rolleyes:.. i need some technique to try to practice LOL.

pwolf66
October 17th, 2007, 09:40 PM
26 for 50m? I'm assuming that is SCM cause that would be a very impressive LCM time. Then again, that's not a bad SCM time either.

Your goal is 23.5? Why do I get the feeling that I'm being had?

But I'll bite. What does your start look like? What depth do you hit after entry? How many SDKs before you surface? What is your transition from streamline+SDK to crawl like? Is it too shallow? Is it too deep?

How much push off are you getting on your turns? Are you fplipping with your knees at 45 degrees? 60 degrees? hitting with just your feet?

How many SDKs off your turns? What beat kick do you use?

Whew. These are just a few of the possible questions.

Paul

flaswimm
October 17th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Okay, So, My record on the 50m free is 26s.
It sucks.
Im 6'4
190lbs

And i SUCK at everything else. (not really) im just not down with some stuff yeat, im too panzy to do Backstroke ( im extremelly fast ) but have the biggest fear of hitting my head on the wall.

After i do a 50 butter fly.. i can no longer do it perfect. IT SUCKS.

Right now my best stroke is the freestyle, and i want to make state this year with a 23.50 sec 50 individual free style on in a relay.

What do you guys suggest me to do Im going to start practice this year this tuesday oct. 23. And i will try anything to make me improove my swimming skills.

I wanna work on my Jumps, My flip turns, and how i do my stroke.. whatever makes me move faster then normal! PLEEEASE help. Ive looked everywhere and i cant seem to find a reasonable answear. I know practice makes better, but:rolleyes:.. i need some technique to try to practice LOL.

Hey there Jon....by no means am I a swimming expert, in fact I'm a lowly novice, but I'm pretty sure nobody can help you extensively with that question unless they are able to observe your stroke form to critique on. Know I read people on here suggesting that you videotape yourself and put it on Youtube for all the knowledgeable people here to observe.

Warren
October 17th, 2007, 09:54 PM
http://www.theraceclub.net/phpBB2/

david.margrave
October 17th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Are you referring to yards for your goal of 23.5? If your 26 is SCM that would convert to roughly high-23, not far off your goal. I think you'll be able to pull it off with your height.

Warren
October 17th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Are you referring to yards for your goal of 23.5? If your 26 is SCM that would convert to roughly high-23, not far off your goal. I think you'll be able to pull it off with your height.

I think he meant 26 for yards

J0nath0n3
October 18th, 2007, 06:42 PM
26 for 50m? I'm assuming that is SCM cause that would be a very impressive LCM time. Then again, that's not a bad SCM time either.

Your goal is 23.5? Why do I get the feeling that I'm being had?

But I'll bite. What does your start look like? What depth do you hit after entry? How many SDKs before you surface? What is your transition from streamline+SDK to crawl like? Is it too shallow? Is it too deep?

How much push off are you getting on your turns? Are you fplipping with your knees at 45 degrees? 60 degrees? hitting with just your feet?

How many SDKs off your turns? What beat kick do you use?

Whew. These are just a few of the possible questions.

Paul
Yes My goal is 23.5 on the 50 freee

Idk what your SDK means but i think that when i jump in i go too far down.. on my start. and when im swimming fast im thinking im putting my arm too far in like all the way stream line and that might be taking some seconds off my speed? And when i do the flip turns i should practice doing it the farthest away from the wall.. but im afraid my feet wont touch it that once happened in a meet i got so embarresed.

pwolf66
October 18th, 2007, 06:45 PM
SDK means Strong Dolphin Kick basically the most effective way to go fast while submerged.

A few of us are confused, are your times yards or meters? If meters then I'm not sure I'm qualified to help you as those are very fast times.

Paul

J0nath0n3
October 18th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Yes My goal is 23.5 on the 50 freee

Idk what your SDK means but i think that when i jump in i go too far down.. on my start. and when im swimming fast im thinking im putting my arm too far in like all the way stream line and that might be taking some seconds off my speed? And when i do the flip turns i should practice doing it the farthest away from the wall.. but im afraid my feet wont touch it that once happened in a meet i got so embarresed.
And yes 50m.

Blackbeard's Peg
October 18th, 2007, 06:55 PM
SDK means Strong Dolphin Kick basically the most effective way to go fast while submerged.

Correction: SDK = STREAMLINE dolphin kick

J0nath0n3
October 18th, 2007, 07:10 PM
What does he mean by Beat kick?

and I never did stream line dolphin kicks on my flip turns is that whats stealing my seconds?

Warren
October 19th, 2007, 02:16 AM
Are you lifting?

pwolf66
October 19th, 2007, 08:16 AM

Ugh, my bad. Lack of oxygen to the brain cells.

Paul

Blackbeard's Peg
October 19th, 2007, 11:05 AM
a beat kick is a kick that has some sort of pattern to it. a number reflects the number of kicks per stroke cycle. for example, most distance swimmers have a 2-beat kick. for every two arm pulls (one cycle), they have two kicks, usually one kick with each arm pull. a 6-beat kick is faster - something you'd want to work on for your 50s, 100s and 200s.

if you practice your SDK a lot, you may find that for your freestyle events, you have a lot more momentum breaking out into your crawl than you will using a flutter kick off the wall. yes, you will find that your oxygen may disappear quickly, but with practice, you'll get used to it and find better and more efficient ways to do utilize SDK off the wall.

I personally do 1-3 SDKs off the wall depending on event, turn number and exhaustion level. I have found it to help.

J0nath0n3
October 19th, 2007, 11:05 PM
a beat kick is a kick that has some sort of pattern to it. a number reflects the number of kicks per stroke cycle. for example, most distance swimmers have a 2-beat kick. for every two arm pulls (one cycle), they have two kicks, usually one kick with each arm pull. a 6-beat kick is faster - something you'd want to work on for your 50s, 100s and 200s.

if you practice your SDK a lot, you may find that for your freestyle events, you have a lot more momentum breaking out into your crawl than you will using a flutter kick off the wall. yes, you will find that your oxygen may disappear quickly, but with practice, you'll get used to it and find better and more efficient ways to do utilize SDK off the wall.

I personally do 1-3 SDKs off the wall depending on event, turn number and exhaustion level. I have found it to help.
Hmm sweet my season starts this tuesday ill try that. Never really thought about it but i do kick alot for my 50s so probrably 6 beat

hofffam
October 20th, 2007, 10:22 AM
As someone already said - without seeing your stroke it is nearly impossible to tell you how to improve your freestyle.

If you swim 26 seconds in 50 SHORT COURSE METERS (please confirm), you should already be capable of 23.5 SHORT COURSE YARDS.

It sounds to me like you are a sloppy swimmer. You really can't describe your stroke nor anything else about your technique.

50 free short course (what most USA high schools swim) requires attention to detail to be truly successful. You can get by with strength, height, and brute force, but other swimmers with great starts, walls, and smart breathing will beat you. They will go 22 seconds to your 23 because they are better, not necessarily faster.

You need explosive starts with an efficient underwater streamline off the start. You need a tight fast flip with another SDK off the wall. And you should probably race zero or one breath down and ono to three back.

J0nath0n3
October 20th, 2007, 11:27 PM
As someone already said - without seeing your stroke it is nearly impossible to tell you how to improve your freestyle.

If you swim 26 seconds in 50 SHORT COURSE METERS (please confirm), you should already be capable of 23.5 SHORT COURSE YARDS.

It sounds to me like you are a sloppy swimmer. You really can't describe your stroke nor anything else about your technique.

50 free short course (what most USA high schools swim) requires attention to detail to be truly successful. You can get by with strength, height, and brute force, but other swimmers with great starts, walls, and smart breathing will beat you. They will go 22 seconds to your 23 because they are better, not necessarily faster.

You need explosive starts with an efficient underwater streamline off the start. You need a tight fast flip with another SDK off the wall. And you should probably race zero or one breath down and ono to three back.
Hmm, Ill explain better my stroke after tuesday, i need to get back to practicing or i cant really tell you what im having problems with ill post back here this tuesday night.