PDA

View Full Version : Weird thing happened, question for the ladies!

cathlaur
October 18th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Okay I have a swimming injury lol

I had noticed a mark on my left side of my neck but never thought much about it. Todays practice was very hard and I swam my first 1000 m straight ( trust me that is hard for me and I am slow but at least I have a baseline time now) At about the 30th length I could feel my neck so I paid attention to it. It is my bathing suit rubbing on my neck. I breathe on both sides and the right is fine. I have had some problems with my left hand entry only and am trying to correct it. I am going to have to find some weird bandaid silicone thing that someone mentioned until it heals. Then the coach said he would definitly pay attention to my hand entry and suggested once it is healed to use vaseline on that spot.

Has this happened to anyone else or is it just me.

Please help

Katie:doh:

SwimStud
October 18th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Okay I have a swimming injury lol

I had noticed a mark on my left side of my neck but never thought much about it. Todays practice was very hard and I swam my first 1000 m straight ( trust me that is hard for me and I am slow but at least I have a baseline time now) At about the 30th length I could feel my neck so I paid attention to it. It is my bathing suit rubbing on my neck. I breathe on both sides and the right is fine. I have had some problems with my left hand entry only and am trying to correct it. I am going to have to find some weird bandaid silicone thing that someone mentioned until it heals. Then the coach said he would definitly pay attention to my hand entry and suggested once it is healed to use vaseline on that spot.

Has this happened to anyone else or is it just me.

Please help

Katie:doh:

Ah...the old "blaming the swim suit for the hickey" routine, eh?

Good good luck with the sore...I get stubble burn on my shoulders from swimming crawl...it's less when I let the beard grow a bit longer...

dorothyrde
October 18th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Get some body glide. I see the kids get rubbed all the time because their competition suits are so tiny.

geochuck
October 18th, 2007, 09:12 AM
I am not a lady but a little dab of vaseline does the trick. Swim suit burns are painful. Just the creases in you neck get raw when you swim long and hard. For me it was also whisker burn. Swim suit burn comes from friction and can happen wherever it rubs not only on the neck.

cathlaur
October 18th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks everyone for your help.

UMMMMMMMMMMMM swimstud do NOT KID YOURSELF. I know it looks like a hickey :joker:. I work in a maximum security prison and a few of our finest offenders have made comments,as well as some of the staff and my hubby:bump: . AH life. If you cannot laugh at yourself then life would be so boring.

I am going to have to do something LOL. Maybe once I lose some more weight my neck wont be so fat hee hee hee

Katie

Karlene
October 18th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Ah, the telltale suit hickey! Your weight has nothing to do with the mark. Try a suit with narrower straps. That solved the problem for me. Like others suggested, vaseline will work in the interim.

cathlaur
October 18th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks Karlene

Of course I have a brand new bathing suit with wider straps. HMMMMMMMM. I will use vaseline in the interim.

Katie

aquaFeisty
October 18th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Katie,

I have definitely gotten the swimsuit hickey! I used to work at a refinery with all guys so have gotten many comments on it (in winter, I used to wear turtlenecks till it went away).

Seems to be brought on by:
1. Distance free. Not just total yardage, but like if I did a 3x800 set or a couple 1000's or something like that. I must stretch my shoulders out more when doing long freestyle sets.
2. Wide straps. A new suit with wide straps would definitely bring on a suit hickey for me!

If you can find it, use BodyGlide instead of vaseline. It is less likely to eat away at your new suit. You can usually find BodyGlide at any shop that caters to triathletes... it's very commonly used to prevent wetsuit chafing.

ourswimmer
October 18th, 2007, 12:10 PM
If you can find it, use BodyGlide instead of vaseline. It is less likely to eat away at your new suit. You can usually find BodyGlide at any shop that caters to triathletes... it's very commonly used to prevent wetsuit chafing.

I third the Body Glide recommendation. Works like a charm and won't damage your suit. Just put some on each side of your neck (and on your side if you need to avoid chafing there too) before you go in the water.

gull
October 18th, 2007, 01:00 PM
You might also ask Geek. I believe he had the same problem with the manssiere he wears for tris.

Leonard Jansen
October 18th, 2007, 01:16 PM
I will use vaseline in the interim.

Keep in mind that vaseline can breakdoen/dissolve many of the synthetic fabrics used in suits. use Bodyglide instead.

-LBJ

SwimStud
October 18th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Keep in mind that vaseline can breakdoen/dissolve many of the synthetic fabrics used in suits. use Bodyglide instead.

-LBJ

Lard will work too...not sure if it destroys lycra though...

cathlaur
October 18th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Hey all I cannot find bodyglide anywhere. So I ordered 2 from the internet. In the meantime I will use the vaseline and trynot to destroy my suit.

Thanks for the input. From what I have read about bodyglide it is fantastic and exactly what I am looking for.

Katie

nkfrench
October 18th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Interesting. I got one just a week ago and more again last night. Wouldn't you think that I would REMEMBER getting a hickey? I don't think mine is related to the swim suit straps at all, just the shoulder motion in general, hand entry position, high elbow recovery, etc. At least (so far) it doesn't hurt in the pool. My workout was having me go as fast as I could for 75-150y or I would not make the interval, so my turnover was faster than usual and arms pumped up. I'll have to ask Coach if I am doing something "bad" with body alignment when I try to sprint, definitely do not have any natural speed.

Islandsox may have a suggestion for swim suit chafe, but not sure the rest of your team will approve for pool swimming. :)

cathlaur
October 18th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Glad to know it is not just me.

My neck is really red. I swam my first 1000m in practice without stopping today. I was tired and know that my swimming was sloppy. I have been putting polysporin on it and will use vaseline tomorrow. Then it has the weekend to heal before I swim Monday.

I tell you if I got a hickey this big in highschool I would have been grounded for life:lmao:.Good thing my mom is in Mexico she might wonder about hubby and I lol lol.

I dont think mine are related to my straps either now that I think about it. I just hope the bodyglide helps.

Katie

aquageek
October 18th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Any other "men" care to chime in on a woman's issue - Stud, Gull, Geochuck?

SwimStud
October 18th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Apparently not, sorry sis!
:rofl:

3strokes
October 19th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Lard will work too.....

Careful, if you're swimming OW in the Ocean. You don't want to attract George Park's swimming buddy ...........

FindingMyInnerFish
October 19th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Another good product I've used is the Monistat chafing relief powder gel (http://www.soothingcare.com/soothingcare/index_soothing.htm), which is available at most drug stores. It's not that expensive and it dries to a non-greasy "barrier" and so unlikely will do any harm to your suit, especially if you put it on and let it dry before putting on your suit.

I know that when I swim, my coach has said that my hand entry is different on one side than the other; I think it's a dominant/non-dominant hand thing, also the fact that no one's body is completely symmetrical, so getting a consistent stroke takes some time. Just my very INEXPERT opinion!

btw, 1000 yards w/out stopping is great! :woot: Way to go!

cathlaur
October 19th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Yes I dont want to meet George's swimming buddy. I am not sure what I would have done if that was me. OMG I would have been so scared.

Findingmyinnerfish
I put lots of polysporin cream on my neck yesterday and it was much better. Today I put vaseline on it while I swam.Not near as bad as yesterday. I will use the bodyglide as I found a place to buy it. I ordered some on internet to but I don't mind having extra's. Thanks so much for the cheering. Though I was very slow I finished the entire 1000. Today it is 6 weeks so I really dont think that is to bad. Todays swim was tough. Lots of paddle work and pullbouy work. I am sore. I am very glad I dont swim until Monday.

Katie

geochuck
October 19th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Cat - I was so scared. It is strange what one will do for a few $$.

Stillhere
October 19th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I think the best way to solve this problem is to swim sans swim suit.
Wow, now tell me that wasn't easy.....

Stillhere
October 19th, 2007, 08:58 AM
On a serious note, having swam many off shore events in salt water I found that suspended salt in ocean water acts as an abrasive around the neck and under arms. I used A&D Ointment and it more then solved the problem. I still think the sans swim suit solution is best though....

cathlaur
October 19th, 2007, 09:57 AM
George I cannot imagine. YIKES

Stillhere. I think for the best interest of my swim team I will keep my clothes on :bolt:. They are thanking me right now. I have a long way to go and would hate to scare everyone LOL LOL and myself. Though you are right it would help with the chaffing

Katie

ensignada
October 19th, 2007, 10:05 AM
The A&D ointment suggestion reminded me of the concoction we used to use for diaper rash/chafing when my daughter was tiny: 1 tube of Destin and 1/2 tube of A&D mixed together. Messy, smelly but really protective and healing. Probably better for OW.

Leonard Jansen
October 19th, 2007, 12:13 PM

It's just that we are trying to get in touch with our feminine side. Those of you who already have, need not bother.

-LBJ

geochuck
October 19th, 2007, 12:42 PM

I had been chafing at the bit or rubbing raw.

Lucy Crabapple
October 21st, 2007, 10:25 PM
I've had that happen with a few of the endurance fabric suits I've started wearing, and it's always on the side opposite to the one I breathe on (yah, I'm a one-side breather). I tried bodyglide, and I must be one of the few who's allergic to it, for the rash actually grew and became quite ugly. Because of the season (summer) and my hair (short) I wasn't able to hide it either.

Hopefully that won't be your case!

cathlaur
October 22nd, 2007, 08:07 AM
Lucy

I got some bodyglide and thank goodness I am not allergic to it. I used it today for the first time. We shall see.

Last weeks swimming hickey was huge so it is still there though much much less noticeable.

I guess it is just something I will have to work on.

Katie