PDA

View Full Version : Women's Locker Room

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

The Fortress
October 19th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Here's a thread for the ladies to discuss anything that relates to women and swimming. For example, feel free to discuss how disgustingly ugly fastskins are, how the "curse" can kill a meet, how suits don't fit, how swimming wrecks your hair, how hormones unhinge you, etc.

CreamPuff
October 19th, 2007, 01:15 PM
Did anyone experience terrible side effects when going off birth control pills?

It wrecked my swimming for a couple of weeks. I was very fatigued, had headaches continually for 2 weeks, got terrible acne on my back, and was anxious, moody and bloated. If so, what did you use to help with the side effects? It's four months later and I'm feeling back to normal now.

ensignada
October 19th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Great idea. Wish I'd thought of it first. :D

The Fortress
October 19th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Great idea. Wish I'd thought of it first. :D

:lmao:

You could at least contribute something, missie. Or at least tell us who you think the hottest swimmer is. Peirsol perhaps?

I have been having the worst "old lady" symptoms. For example, when it's curse time, I can't sleep at all and get really moody and fatigued. I just realized that my next big meet, for which I'm planning to travel, is NOT going to fall at a good time. :bitching: I'll have to take it out on SwimStud, since he's attending. ;)

scyfreestyler
October 19th, 2007, 01:34 PM
These things can be controlled via birth control pills.

The Fortress
October 19th, 2007, 01:37 PM
These things can be controlled via birth control pills.

Totally depends upon the woman. Some bcp make it worse. Effects everyone differently.

After suffering for awhile, I finally complained to my doc and he suggested I take yaz. I'm hoping it helps. So far, I'm nauseous as hell. I hope the side effects go away soon and my body gets used to it.

It's hard to suffer through meets this way though. One meet this year, all my friends had either PMS or the curse. There was much biyatching in the warm down pool. Quite frightening really.

ensignada
October 19th, 2007, 01:38 PM
:lmao:

You could at least contribute something, missie. Or at least tell us who you think the hottest swimmer is. Peirsol perhaps?

I have been having the worst "old lady" symptoms. For example, when it's curse time, I can't sleep at all and get really moody and fatigued. I just realized that my next big meet, for which I'm planning to travel, is NOT going to fall at a good time. :bitching: I'll have to take it out on SwimStud, since he's attending. ;)

SwimStud can handle it - I think he plays the home version. :duel:

Hottest swimmer? No question, Phelps - but my mind can't go there for long since I'm old enough to be his mother.

The Fortress
October 19th, 2007, 01:39 PM
No question, Phelps - but my mind can't go there for long since I'm old enough to be his mother.

Stick with masters swimmers then. :rofl:

scyfreestyler
October 19th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Not a woman but soap and a Mach3 work wonders in those areas. That's my tip of the day.

SwimStud
October 19th, 2007, 01:43 PM
I'll have to take it out on SwimStud, since he's attending.

Jeez I'm SO looking forward to this meet...upside is if you take it out on me from the block end all my odd 25's will split very fast...
:rofl:

slknight
October 19th, 2007, 01:44 PM
After suffering for awhile, I finally complained to my doc and he suggested I take yaz. I'm hoping it helps. So far, I'm nauseous as hell. I hope the side effects go away soon and my body gets used to it.

It's hard to suffer through meets this way though. One meet this year, all my friends had either PMS or the curse. There was much biyatching in the warm down pool. Quite frightening really.

I used to get THE most horrendous cramps/nausea after a race during AF. I'd be ok until about 5 minutes after a race and then the pain would hit with a vengeance to the point I thought I'd throw up. It would eventually subside about 20 minutes later. It was really weird, but I knew a few other people it would happen to. It was horrible. :( I haven't swam a meet with AF in years and I think I would just skip the meet completely at this age.

Unfortunately, I can't be on the pill since I have a clotting disorder. :bitching:

cathlaur
October 19th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Ah Fortress you crack me:rofl:.

Sorry about the BCP. I had a hysto in 2001. OMG BEST THING EVER :banana:so no issues with that.

Though I hate being in the changeroom with all the gorgeous 18 to 22 year olds ( I swim at the University) who have those nice tight bodies where no 9 pound babies have come out of anything important lol. AH there time will come:bump:. I am definitly a little heavier than some. NOT overly round due to my height and build but big. BUT I don't hide while I change. I want to make sure they all know what they are instore for in the future :rofl:.
Ah you can tell it is Friday A beverage :wine: is definitley in store tonight.

Katie

The Fortress
October 19th, 2007, 01:48 PM
I used to get THE most horrendous cramps/nausea after a race during AF. I'd be ok until about 5 minutes after a race and then the pain would hit with a vengeance to the point I thought I'd throw up. It would eventually subside about 20 minutes later. It was really weird, but I knew a few other people it would happen to. It was horrible. :( I haven't swam a meet with AF in years and I think I would just skip the meet completely at this age.

Unfortunately, I can't be on the pill since I have a clotting disorder. :bitching:

Swam my last 2 zones meet in the PMS stage. Intense sleep deprivation. Argh. But it would much worse during than before. I had actually contemplating canceling my travel plans. Not sure it makes sense to spend money to swim slow ...

What about black cohash or isoflavins? (S)he-Man was telling me about the latter.

Katie: Yes, it's beverage night. I'm having a GNO. Just put the hubby and youngest on a plane. Whoopeee. I'm sleeping in tomorrow too. Assuming I can actually sleep, that is. I aspire to sleep in!

SwimStud
October 19th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Girls,

Can you give us boneheads a glossary of terms, acronyms and abbreviations so we can keep up.

Think I have curse and AF understood.

Thanks

On behalf of the Boys.

cathlaur
October 19th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Ahhhhhhhh I see She man was replying at the BC pills to. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM sorry did I tell you all that I had a hysterctomy OH YEAH :applaud:

Katie

The Fortress
October 19th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Girls,

Can you give us boneheads a glossary of terms, acronyms and abbreviations so we can keep up.

Thanks

On behalf of the Boys.

Curse is the only good word for that lovely time of the month. It describes it perfectly. You guys don't know how easy you have it. You don't have to plan your meets around the curse. Although I have heard some tris say there's some way to stop it for a big event.

GNO = girls night out

Katie: Stop that bragging!! :joker:

SwimStud
October 19th, 2007, 01:56 PM
You don't have to plan your meets around the curse. Although I have heard some tris say there's some way to stop it for a big event.

You're right. I have to plan my LIFE around it.. are you kidding?!?
;)

OK I'm done chiming in. I'll be quiet now.

ensignada
October 19th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Hysterectomy here too, Katie. My surgeon tried to "counsel" me on how I might feel less womanly etc - I burst out laughing. I love the "side effects". :groovy:

Interestingly, it was that (and related) surgery that nixed almost everything but swimming as an intense physical activity. I started swimming the week she released me to normal life.

cathlaur
October 19th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Barb

I got the same lecture to. I just sat there and thought OMG you are such a man ( which of course he was:blah:) yes I was younger to have one as well, but boy I have enjoyed every minute of it. Now that I have two teens with it , I think OH thank god that I don't have it to. Poor DH he would have to move. I wonder if I was as biachy as my girls are LOL NO of course not LOL.As I remember things I handled it all very well ;)

Swimstud if you are a good smart man, of course you would plan your life around it. I think that would be a great time to travel with work LOL LOL

Fortress sorry for the bragging LOL

Katie

aquageek
October 19th, 2007, 02:13 PM
I know nothing about womanly things but I do know that my wife got an IUD 3 years ago and no curses since, although she is a very stable person and didn't seem to have issues with PMS. I think the IUD lasts 5 years and then I'm due for a manly procedure.

SwimStud
October 19th, 2007, 02:17 PM
then I'm due for a manly procedure.

Leaving the toilet seat up?

The Fortress
October 19th, 2007, 02:18 PM
I know nothing about womanly things but I do know that my wife got an IUD 3 years ago and no curses since, although she is a very stable person and didn't seem to have issues with PMS. I think the IUD lasts 5 years and then I'm due for a manly procedure.

Might be too young. Or might never get them, if she's lucky. I was asymptomatic until about 44. But my problem is not PMS, per se, but PM (peri-menopause). Similar symptoms, plus hot flashes and general sleep disturbance. I'm apparently in the lucky 17%. Blech.

Kate:

Just FYI, I have refered to my 13 year old as the RHO, rude hormonal one. Teenage girls can be very trying for many reasons.

scyfreestyler
October 19th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Curse is the only good word for that lovely time of the month. It describes it perfectly. You guys don't know how easy you have it. You don't have to plan your meets around the curse. Although I have heard some tris say there's some way to stop it for a big event.

GNO = girls night out

Katie: Stop that bragging!! :joker:

Have you ever had your gonads and gametes hanging around outside the security of your skeletal structure? I thought not. Have you ever been kicked in the ovaries? Thank you very much. :wave: :thhbbb:

born2fly
October 19th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Ut Oh, I walked in the wrong locker room, I hate when this happens :doh:

The Fortress
October 19th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Have you ever had your gonads and gametes hanging around outside the security of your skeletal structure? I thought not. Have you ever been kicked in the ovaries? Thank you very much. :wave: :thhbbb:

Sorry, I have heard that's quite ghastly!!! I hope it never happens at a swim meet!

SwimStud
October 19th, 2007, 02:20 PM

Still here huh? lol:rofl:

scyfreestyler
October 19th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Sorry, I have heard that's quite ghastly!!! I hope it never happens at a swim meet!

Oh boy..it had better not. :cry:

cathlaur
October 19th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Ouch that would hurt. :bighug:.

Have you ever noticed when you post something for the ladies MORE MEN THAN EVER SHOW UP???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HMMMMMMMMMMMM WHY is that?:dunno:.

That is okay we don't mind :joker:

And sometimes it is the same men hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Katie

The Fortress
October 19th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Have you ever noticed when you post something for the ladies MORE MEN THAN EVER SHOW UP???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HMMMMMMMMMMMM WHY is that?:dunno:.

Katie

Well, we are such fascinating and complex creatures.

Plus, they might learn something.

christineL
October 19th, 2007, 02:47 PM
:laugh2: :Lurking: Thanks for the delightful thread.

cathlaur
October 19th, 2007, 03:08 PM
We fascinating arn't we ?????????????????:cheerleader:Oh they will learn something. Women are bright creatures just ask us:thhbbb:. LOL

Christine glad you are enjoying LOL

Have a good weekend everyone.

Happy swimming for those who are going. I swim Monday morning thank goodness. I am very sore. I am hoping for a bike ride tomorrow. Not a triathalon type bikeride. Just one around the neighborhood on my Mary Poppins bike.

Katie

swimminlyn
October 19th, 2007, 03:09 PM
I am not a guy but I can say that from the many years of competing in karate tournaments it does hurt alot to get kicked down there. They do make female protectors and I invested in one when groin kicks were allowed.

Speaking of the curse dampering a meet. AF came 5 min before I had to swim the 400 IM LC.

scwids
October 19th, 2007, 03:13 PM
My personal gross-out in the locker room: the big clot of hair in the shower drain. It's ALWAYS there. :shakeshead:.

cathlaur
October 19th, 2007, 03:17 PM
ooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Scwids. That is gross. Though my husband complains about the same thing in the girls bathroom as they both have long hair and it clogs the drain .

Katie

dorothyrde
October 19th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Girls,

Thanks

On behalf of the Boys.

Good heavens, I read this and thought you said you had the curse.:D

dorothyrde
October 19th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Yeah but I bet you did not close your eyes!

The Fortress
October 19th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Speaking of the curse dampering a meet. AF came 5 min before I had to swim the 400 IM LC.

:cry::cry: How awful!

Mine arrived Day 1 of Worlds in 2006. Unbelievable. Scratched the 100 fly. Was too zonked.

There is always a big clogged mess of hair in my shower area too. Every teenage girl I know has super long hair. In fact, I was thinking I should cut mine, it's gotten so long. Is it inappropriate to have long hair and PM at the same time?

CreamPuff
October 19th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Well, what really helped me was a good vitamin routine (for when I went off the pill.)

Multivitamin
B Complex
Evening Primrose
Black Root Cohosh
Soy Isoflavones
Omega 3/6/9 Fatty Acid

And then I started going to a chiro. All's pretty good now. Use Proactiv for any acne. Just wish I had done this from day 1.

Blackbeard's Peg
October 19th, 2007, 05:24 PM
In fact, I was thinking I should cut mine, it's gotten so long.
Something tells me that is not a decision you should make rashly while you are cursing... And from personal experience, not a decision to be made rashly in general male or female.

scwids
October 19th, 2007, 05:45 PM
:cry::cry: How awful!

Mine arrived Day 1 of Worlds in 2006. Unbelievable. Scratched the 100 fly. Was too zonked.

There is always a big clogged mess of hair in my shower area too. Every teenage girl I know has super long hair. In fact, I was thinking I should cut mine, it's gotten so long. Is it inappropriate to have long hair and PM at the same time?

Somehow it doesn't seem quite as gross if you know where the hair came from (i.e. your offspring). Strange hair is wicked gross. :doh:

scyfreestyler
October 19th, 2007, 05:53 PM
I don't mind it in a shower drain so much, but getting a piece on your hands, arms, face, etc while swimming can be disturbing.

stussy96
October 19th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Ok ok, the WORST thing in a women's locker room: the floor.

We're dirty. Most of us have long hair and we shed worse than cats and dogs. The floor is wet, contaminated with dirt and hairballs that do not belong to you. The wetness only makes it stick to your body more.

THEN there's the bathroom stalls. Sick.

Here you still have dirt, still have hairballs that aren't yours, wet toilet paper all over (ugh) and sometime mystery fluid. Seriously, it makes me shudder thinking about it.

kristilynn
October 19th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Does anyone else shower at a gym where someone always puts her hair on the shower wall? Whoever this person is at my gym has long, dark brown hair, and knowing that it's not mine (I'm blonde) is disturbing -- I completely agree with that statement!

Something else really weird is the older woman who lays a towel down on the locker room floor and does sit-ups buck-a** naked using the bottom of the lockers to hold down her feet. Not a pretty picture!

stussy96
October 19th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Something else really weird is the older woman who lays a towel down on the locker room floor and does sit-ups buck-a** naked using the bottom of the lockers to hold down her feet. Not a pretty picture!

If I saw that, I would poke out my own eyes.

CreamPuff
October 19th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Add to that the STINKY odor and throw in some soggy, left over food snacks spread throughout the floor. . . Reminds me of the day I went to throw my power bar gel wrapper in the trash can and came across some stinky, dirty diapers that had been thrown in there. Makes OW swimming in a filthy lake a piece of cake.

And whaz up with big guys in your lane who hock up loogies and spit 'em, not into the gutter mind you, but right into your lane with you?! Frankly, I just don't catch the ladies doing that. . . My only consolation is that I'm leading the lane. Still thinking about slapping 'em upside the head. Not in my lane buddy! :rofl::doh:

Ok ok, the WORST thing in a women's locker room: the floor.

We're dirty. Most of us have long hair and we shed worse than cats and dogs. The floor is wet, contaminated with dirt and hairballs that do not belong to you. The wetness only makes it stick to your body more.

THEN there's the bathroom stalls. Sick.

Here you still have dirt, still have hairballs that aren't yours, wet toilet paper all over (ugh) and sometime mystery fluid. Seriously, it makes me shudder thinking about it.

stussy96
October 19th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Snacks on the floor...pretzels and Gardettos. Those seem to be favorites to throw down on wet floors. Mmmmm, soggy and mushy.

CreamPuff
October 19th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Snacks on the floor...pretzels and Gardettos. Those seem to be favorites to throw down on wet floors. Mmmmm, soggy and mushy.

Pretzels/ chex mix are common down here. And bless the mommies who have the courage to breastfeed their babies in an overcrowded, bustling locker room. :bow:

What cracks me up are the little boys who are really too old to be in the ladies locker room. Boy, do they STARE!! :rofl:

stussy96
October 19th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I'd rather have the strange little boys in there than the hairballs and wet toilet paper. At least I can hide behind a towel from peeping eyes. Can't hide from crap on the floor, it's ALWAYS there. :mad:

CreamPuff
October 19th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Oh I don't know. My platform flip flops give me plenty of protection from the floor debris. The little boys. . . not so much. :rofl:

stussy96
October 19th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Haha, I'm 5'11. The last thing I need are platforms.

swimminlyn
October 19th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I swim at a very old YMCA where we have one big community shower. It is not too bad in there in the mornings. Well except for the week that a used tampon made its way on top of the shower.

We had a lady for a while last winter that would brush her teeth and spit like she was at home. There is only 1 drain right in the middle of 5 shower heads.

The age group kids that I swim with in the evenings practice at a middle school. Those middle schoolers dont like to flush no matter what they did.

I will not walk anywhere without my flip flops on.

aquageek
October 19th, 2007, 07:28 PM
These women's locker room stories are mild, very mild, compared to some of the bizarre, gross, and outright horrifying stuff I have seen in men's locker rooms over the years. However, I will say that swimminlyn brings some quality nasty stories to the discussion.

Anyone ever seen a turd in a sink? That's just the tip of the iceberg.

geochuck
October 19th, 2007, 08:01 PM
You should see what we get in the mens locker room. I once walked into the shower room and a lady was having a shower.

I once told a swimmer from Holland that we had new toilets in the mens locker room. I told him we have to sit on the urinal to go to the bathroom, he did.

Concho Pearl
October 19th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I think everyone woman should get a hysto... best thing since sliced bread!!

I hate wet paper in the locker room, I remember all those "Y's" we had swim meets in
while growing up, seemed like there was toilet paper everywhere you walked. And of course it was always wet and would squish up between your toes. Hairballs is #2 for me.

ensignada
October 19th, 2007, 09:57 PM
What cracks me up are the little boys who are really too old to be in the ladies locker room. Boy, do they STARE!! :rofl:

When I started swimming, my hysto scar was still a lovely purple, even more prominent when I was wet and cold. This little boy (around 3) threw himself at me while I was buck naked and kissed my scar because he thought it was a big smiley face. His mother may have recovered from horror and embarrassment, but I doubt it!

SwimStud
October 19th, 2007, 11:20 PM
When I started swimming, my hysto scar was still a lovely purple, even more prominent when I was wet and cold. This little boy (around 3) threw himself at me while I was buck naked and kissed my scar because he thought it was a big smiley face. His mother may have recovered from horror and embarrassment, but I doubt it!

Aw how cute....and beautiful to see such non fearing innocence.

cathlaur
October 20th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Gross bathroom stories. IF the washrooms are so gross what about the pool OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. LOL

Barb that mom must have just about died.

When I had my first thyroid surgery my girls were swimming. I was in the locker room area with them trying to get them to hurry to go home. My neck was swollen and red and just awful looking ( Frankenstein's wife) I had a little girl loudly ask her mom " did she think someone tried to kill me":lmao:The mom was mortified. I just laughed . When an adult asked me about it , because believe me they do. I told them DH got very angry at me and I was lucky to be alive lol. Boy you should see some of the looks I got hee hee.
Lucky me 4 years later I got to have the other side done and do it all over again. LOL AH life

Katie

Willow
October 20th, 2007, 11:32 AM
I have graphic questions! I feel like an awkward teen asking this, but I never swam as a kid or teen, so I missed the Talk that you all must have been given. When I started swimming at 37, I was to embarassed to ask my male instructor. So here goes: Obviously you can swim on your period, but do you swim even through the heaviest part? Aren't there leakage issues with all that water sluicing around? Do you wear dark suits just in case? I have been too nervous to swim when bleeding from the wise wound (to put a positive spin on it) but I'm sure it would make me feel better. I just don't want to do anything unsanitary out of ignorance. Someone guide me. Pretend I'm 12.

Oh, and Fort and other perimenopausal ladies, I have found a very helpful book called "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Perimenopause" by Dr. John Lee, which is very informative. I followed his protocol for using USP Progesterone cream and had a great reduction in my symptoms. It is an OTC preparation. If you are troubled by symptoms and like me don't want to do heavy synthetic hormones, it is worth checking out.

Willow

ensignada
October 20th, 2007, 11:48 AM
Aw how cute....and beautiful to see such non fearing innocence.

I was fine with it - it was very cute...and after that, I kinda thought of it as my "smiley" face.

scyfreestyler
October 20th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I have graphic questions! I feel like an awkward teen asking this, but I never swam as a kid or teen, so I missed the Talk that you all must have been given. When I started swimming at 37, I was to embarassed to ask my male instructor. So here goes: Obviously you can swim on your period, but do you swim even through the heaviest part? Aren't there leakage issues with all that water sluicing around? Do you wear dark suits just in case? I have been too nervous to swim when bleeding from the wise wound (to put a positive spin on it) but I'm sure it would make me feel better. I just don't want to do anything unsanitary out of ignorance. Someone guide me. Pretend I'm 12.

Oh, and Fort and other perimenopausal ladies, I have found a very helpful book called "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Perimenopause" by Dr. John Lee, which is very informative. I followed his protocol for using USP Progesterone cream and had a great reduction in my symptoms. It is an OTC preparation. If you are troubled by symptoms and like me don't want to do heavy synthetic hormones, it is worth checking out.

Willow

The geek is pretty good with this stuff, I am sure he will chime in when he visits next.

swim4me
October 20th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Haha, I'm 5'11. The last thing I need are platforms.

I was 6' tall when I was 12 and platform shoes were in style the first time. I used to wish for 'basement' shoes. :whiteflag:

The Fortress
October 20th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Willow

A friend recently told me that progesterone creams were all the rage. I didn't know they were OTC. I just took the yaz at night to avoid daytime nausea --- BIG MISTAKE. Up till 3:00 am. I'd rather have nausea.

I always swim with the curse. Never had a problem, even on the worse days. Just come prepared with the super dee duper tamps. Not saying it's much fun. Always tired, but you can do it.

Oh, you tall ladies, I have a closet full of heels. Never leave home without them unless going to the gym.

cathlaur
October 20th, 2007, 12:47 PM
WOW Kathy 6 feet at 12. Did you grow more after that? You are one tall gorgeous woman.

Katie

ALM
October 20th, 2007, 09:04 PM
What the #$&*# is "AF"?

My gripe is with the swimmers who should be using the locker room, but aren't. The teenaged age-group team gets out of the water just before we get in. Even though they have to walk right past the locker rooms to get out of the building, they don't use them. Instead, they all "deck change" right there on the pool deck. The girls have all mastered the art of pulling down the suit straps, wrapping a towel around their bodies, pulling up their bras under the towels, pulling down the suit from under the towel, pulling on underwear and shorts under the towel, pulling on a t-shirt over the towel, and pulling the towel out from under the t-shirt. They do this right in front of the boys. The more brazen ones don't bother to hide their bras as they perform this ritual. I don't understand why their coach allows it.

Anna Lea

SwimStud
October 20th, 2007, 09:20 PM
What the #$&*# is "AF"?

My gripe is with the swimmers who should be using the locker room, but aren't. The teenaged age-group team gets out of the water just before we get in. Even though they have to walk right past the locker rooms to get out of the building, they don't use them. Instead, they all "deck change" right there on the pool deck. The girls have all mastered the art of pulling down the suit straps, wrapping a towel around their bodies, pulling up their bras under the towels, pulling down the suit from under the towel, pulling on underwear and shorts under the towel, pulling on a t-shirt over the towel, and pulling the towel out from under the t-shirt. They do this right in front of the boys. The more brazen ones don't bother to hide their bras as they perform this ritual. I don't understand why their coach allows it.

Anna Lea

We don't want the boy's fun to be ruined now do we?

ensignada
October 20th, 2007, 10:29 PM
What the #$&*# is "AF"?

Instead, they all "deck change" right there on the pool deck. The girls have all mastered the art of pulling down the suit straps, wrapping a towel around their bodies, pulling up their bras under the towels, pulling down the suit from under the towel, pulling on underwear and shorts under the towel, pulling on a t-shirt over the towel, and pulling the towel out from under the t-shirt.

Darra Torres did this while talking to reporters after one of her swims at Nationals. The reporter from the Indianapolis Star had never seen anything like it...and loved it.

knelson
October 20th, 2007, 10:38 PM
My gripe is with the swimmers who should be using the locker room, but aren't.

I'm OK with the deck change, the thing I can't fathom is not taking a shower after getting out of the pool. My hair feels like straw and my body feels like it's been dipped in a coating of chlorine if I don't shower after practice.

scyfreestyler
October 20th, 2007, 11:34 PM
What's wrong with deck changing? It's rather common amongst the high schoolers around here for sure. I've seen many of the competitors at the Santa Clara Invitational (Not just the likes of Phelps and Hansen but plenty of the other elite swimmers sans advertising contracts) changing in the stands alongside the spectators. If it is truly a problem, it's probably reached epidemic proportions.

swimshark
October 21st, 2007, 07:08 AM
For me the worst is the hair. Nasty!! The pool I'm in now has some serious cleaning issues and I'm always getting attacked in the pool, across the face with a hair or 2. Then there is the locker room. :cry:

For that time of the month, I still swim but I never get heavy any more:D I use Nuva Ring and, despite spotting a lot, I only have a flow every 3 months. It's great. And a light flow, at that. I wish I could use an IUD but can't with fibroid issues. As for the heavy days, I find that my body bleeds less during swimming than out of the water so it doesn't stop me. If I'm really heavy, then I use a heavier tampon.

Ah, what a topic....

Alison

swim4me
October 21st, 2007, 09:47 AM
WOW Kathy 6 feet at 12. Did you grow more after that? You are one tall gorgeous woman.

Katie

Thanks :blush:, I stopped at 6' and am now (many years later) I am 5'11" something (I think the marathon did that to me :duel:). It was not fun at all in 7th grade and through highschool, but I have grown to be comfortable with it. :fish2:

cathlaur
October 21st, 2007, 10:52 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh the shrinkage ( in height boys not somewhere else:p) I think I am more 5 91/2 now. I have bad knees and very little cartilege.

Yes when you are young being that tall is hard. But later on in life it is wonderful. Though there are times I feel like such an amazon compared to some women. They are all cute and tiny and I am .......well not LOL

I have never seen anyone do the changeing on the deck. I could not do that. OMG the smell of chlorine after a shower and using bath washes still gets me. I also have dry skin. NOPE you won't be seeing this Canadian doing that on a swim deck LOL LOL. :lmao:

Katie

ensignada
October 21st, 2007, 05:36 PM

ALM
October 21st, 2007, 08:05 PM
Again, I ask... What on earth is "AF"?

-

Glider
October 21st, 2007, 08:08 PM
*peeking into the ladies room*...Hi Aunt Flow:bolt:

Again, I ask... What on earth is "AF"?

-

cathlaur
October 22nd, 2007, 08:12 AM
LOL Mark

So happy you know that lol lol lol:bow::lmao:.

Katie

SwimStud
October 22nd, 2007, 08:24 AM
LOL Mark

So happy you know that lol lol lol:bow::lmao:.

Katie

Hah..we know...trust me...Hers is a face we "know and love" lol

cathlaur
October 23rd, 2007, 10:56 AM
OH Boy:doh:

Katie

The Fortress
October 23rd, 2007, 11:02 AM
OH Boy:doh:

Katie

Now, if only men knew more about giving timely massages for sore shoulders ...

SwimStud
October 23rd, 2007, 11:04 AM
Now, if only men knew more about giving timely massages for sore shoulders ...

You can't all be married to me...

HAHA

*throws stinky old towel into the locker room and runs out*

The Fortress
October 23rd, 2007, 11:08 AM

HAHA

Don't throw your stinky towel in our locker room!! It's already full of hair and crap.

Gross out locker room story. My old gym, fairly posh, had a big hottub in the ladies locker room. One woman repeatedly shaved her legs and picked off dead skin in the hottub. So gross!! I actually couldn't take it anymore, and complained to the front desk. Big sign posted banning shaving shortly thereafter. Who thinks that is somehow OK?!?!

ensignada
October 23rd, 2007, 11:08 AM

HAHA

There are some mercies in this world....:D

Wonder if Mrs. Stud would like to weigh in?

SwimStud
October 23rd, 2007, 11:14 AM
no better not lol

cathlaur
October 23rd, 2007, 11:18 AM
Trust Me Swimstud you COULD NOT handle being married to all of us:bump:.

Katie

SwimStud
October 23rd, 2007, 11:25 AM

Katie

Not every day, no...
:rofl:

geochuck
October 23rd, 2007, 11:31 AM

Katie

His name is Stud I am sure he has that name for some reason.

cathlaur
October 23rd, 2007, 11:32 AM
George

I had thought about that. But usually if you have advertise, it is not sooooooooooooooooooo. :lmao:

Poor swimstud

Katie

SwimStud
October 23rd, 2007, 11:43 AM
:dunno:....

cathlaur
October 23rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Just kidding LOL

Katie

swimshark
October 23rd, 2007, 03:01 PM
We have a woman, elderly one - in her 70's or higher, that thinks the sauna is her changing room. She doesn't go into a stall but goes into the sauna (which has a big window in the door and we have to pass as we go into the locker room - and then gets naked to change into her clothes. I can't figure out how she gets her clothes on while wet in the sauna.

Stud, those who brag....

Alison

aquaFeisty
October 23rd, 2007, 03:15 PM
Gross out locker room story. My old gym, fairly posh, had a big hottub in the ladies locker room. One woman repeatedly shaved her legs and picked off dead skin in the hottub. So gross!! I actually couldn't take it anymore, and complained to the front desk. Big sign posted banning shaving shortly thereafter. Who thinks that is somehow OK?!?!

WOW! And I thought that the ol' throwing the leg up on the sink counter to shave while buck naked was a bit extreme...

You know, in general I just avoid hot tubs at fitness centers. Or I'll sit on the side to chat and allow from the ankle bone down to actually be in the water. If I attempt to lower more of me into the water, I start having flashbacks to lifeguarding/pool management class and the discussions of bacteria growth in 105F water, the 1L of bodily fluids released into the water after about 5 min in the hot tub, and the thought of us 16 and 17 year-olds being in charge of the chemical balance...

aquaFeisty
October 23rd, 2007, 03:16 PM
We have a woman, elderly one - in her 70's or higher, that thinks the sauna is her changing room. She doesn't go into a stall but goes into the sauna (which has a big window in the door and we have to pass as we go into the locker room - and then gets naked to change into her clothes. I can't figure out how she gets her clothes on while wet in the sauna.

Regardless of whether this is odd or not (it is) how could you stand getting dressed while damp and sweaty? Yuck!

SwimStud
October 23rd, 2007, 03:18 PM

Stud, those who brag....

Alison

First of all...
Maybe being that she's old she wants to be warm when naked?

Thirdly, I never bragged...it's not my fault...you created me...now you tear me down...

"...oh the humanity!"

The Fortress
October 23rd, 2007, 03:25 PM
I never bragged...it's not my fault...you created me...now you tear me down...

Tear you down?!?! Are you not the guy who just got the royal :cheerleader: treatment?

No bullies in the women's locker room. ;)

cathlaur
October 23rd, 2007, 03:31 PM
Alison. Okay that is just a weird place to get dressed. No shower, stinky chlorine on your body then damp and hot getting dressed. YUCK is all I have to say.

aquaFeisty. Okay shaving your legs in the sink is really bad:eek:. I mean it eowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

swimstud. I don't know the story of how you got your name LOL:help:.

Katie

aquageek
October 23rd, 2007, 03:34 PM
swimstud. I don't know the story of how you got your name

I know how - standing in front of a mirror chanting "mirror mirror on the wall..."

swimshark
October 23rd, 2007, 03:35 PM
Regardless of whether this is odd or not (it is) how could you stand getting dressed while damp and sweaty? Yuck!

WEll, based on how little she "works" out in the water, she's not sweaty from the pool. The sauna, yes. Not sure why she does this. Maybe she doesn't like all the noise the kids make in the locker room so she goes in there for quiet. hee-hee

Stud, as Fort said, did we not cheer for you???

Alison

SwimStud
October 23rd, 2007, 04:22 PM
Stud, as Fort said, did we not cheer for you???

Alison

Yes but now you're tearing me down...I feel like Britney!

...or for that matter like, Carly, Sarah, Joanna, Susan, Megan...

feel free to send any of them over...

SwimStud
October 23rd, 2007, 04:24 PM
I know how - standing in front of a mirror chanting "mirror mirror on the wall..."

Show me the studliest guy of all...boy Geek was disappionted when my picture showed up in the side mirror of his mobilehome.
He went straight to the beach where someone resembling Johnny Weissmuller kicked sand in his face.

Stillhere
October 23rd, 2007, 04:30 PM
Wow, way to much information for me in this thread.....

Stillhere
October 23rd, 2007, 04:36 PM
George wrote: "I told him we have to sit on the urinal to go to the bathroom, he did." George....that is hilarious but a really sick thing to do to the poor guy....Here I was thinking you folks were normal....LOL

Last night I surfed through the channels and found this really demented comic named Norton while giving a concert in DC. This thread somewhat reminds me of his really twisted routine. LOL

geochuck
October 23rd, 2007, 05:06 PM
I only did it because he was a new swimmer in our club and felt it my duty to show him you don't even trust your friends. He had just moved from Holland and did not understand English to well. He was a great breaststroke swimmer and as time went on held several Canadian Breaststroke records.

I told him my favorite joke he laughed, he thought it was funny then proceeded to tell it to many people but got the punch line wrong because of translation.

George wrote: "I told him we have to sit on the urinal to go to the bathroom, he did." George....that is hilarious but a really sick thing to do to the poor guy....Here I was thinking you folks were normal....LOL

Last night I surfed through the channels and found this really demented comic named Norton while giving a concert in DC. This thread somewhat reminds me of his really twisted routine. LOL

quicksilver
October 23rd, 2007, 09:02 PM
Wow, way to much information for me in this thread.....

The shaving and skin shedding in the hot tub was by far the ickiest story.

As I wait eternally each night for my daughter to get dressed after her practice...the horror shows of what lurks behind those doors begin playing in my head with each passing minute.

The Fortress
October 23rd, 2007, 10:32 PM
The shaving and skin shedding in the hot tub was by far the ickiest story.

As I wait eternally each night for my daughter to get dressed after her practice...the horror shows of what lurks behind those doors begin playing in my head with each passing minute.

Good no hot tub. Hot tubs are bad for kids. I seem to recall reading that it can effect the "insides," including the ovulation cycle.

No, I am a bit leery of hottubs now, although I will occasionally sit in one with my teammates.

The college locker room seems decidedly better/cleaner than the rec center locker room.

ensignada
October 23rd, 2007, 10:53 PM
swimstud. I don't know the story of how you got your name LOL:help:.

Katie

Here 'tis:

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=7355&page=3

Enjoy.

cathlaur
October 24th, 2007, 07:44 AM
:applaud:Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thanks ensignada. That makes way more sense to me now. :groovy:

Got to say that was very brave of swimstud to put out a poll on a new name. What did the wife say?

Cheers

Katie

SwimStud
October 24th, 2007, 08:00 AM
:applaud:Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thanks ensignada. That makes way more sense to me now. :groovy:

Got to say that was very brave of swimstud to put out a poll on a new name. What did the wife say?

Cheers

Katie

She was happy that my talents finally got some official recognition...LMAO

geochuck
October 24th, 2007, 08:56 AM

Boy Balloon - Girl Balloon

cathlaur
October 24th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Oh Boy Swimstud. You are tooooooooooo much :lmao::fish2:

Katie

The Fortress
March 30th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Ladies:

I am wondering whether you prefer the recordbreaker back or the high neck back for fastskins. I noticed at the Women's NCAA Champs, the clear majority of women wore the recordbreakers. Julie just told me she likes the recordbreaker back better. FlyQueen and I just ordered high necks. I have tried both. I have this notion that the high neck might be faster, but I don't really know.

What do people think about on this issue?

FlyQueen
March 30th, 2008, 05:52 PM
So glad you posted this. I was trying to watch races on youtube to see what Coughlin et al do. She seems to go high neck and obviously she swims sprint free/fly/back like you and I do.

Would LOVE thoughts on this!

ande
March 30th, 2008, 06:01 PM
TMI,
this thread is likely to have many male lurkers hoping to sneak a peek at the goings on.

Here's a thread for the ladies to discuss anything that relates to women and swimming. For example, feel free to discuss how disgustingly ugly fastskins are, how the "curse" can kill a meet, how suits don't fit, how swimming wrecks your hair, how hormones unhinge you, etc.

blainesapprentice
March 30th, 2008, 11:21 PM
I've used both and I've swum best times in both. I personally feel more comfortable in the record breaker especially for fly. The highneck just feels really awkward to me--but I don't really notice it in the heat of the moment during a race...I just have this panic-y feeling before my races that the zipper is gonna come down or something.

CreamPuff
March 31st, 2008, 06:43 PM
High neck all the way Fort.

I just swam 4 lifetime best swims this past weekend with my high neck (I also have the recordbreaker.) Did 58.56 in the 100 fly and 2:11 in the 200 fly (split it 1:06/ 1:05). High neck feels a bit restrictive, but you'll be super fast in the water. I even swim IM in it.

High neck=Huge Difference

Go baby! :bouncing:

Have you pre-ordered your LZR?

The Fortress
March 31st, 2008, 06:49 PM
High neck all the way Fort.

I just swam 4 lifetime best swims this past weekend with my high neck (I also have the recordbreaker.) Did 58.56 in the 100 fly and 2:11 in the 200 fly (split it 1:06/ 1:05). High neck feels a bit restrictive, but you'll be super fast in the water. I even swim IM in it.

High neck=Huge Difference

Go baby! :bouncing:

Have you pre-ordered your LZR?

I wish! No, I got the FS Pro high neck on the super markdown at swim outlet. I might give it a whirl in one event at zones (maybe 50 fly).

You doing the pre-order?

Congrats on those excellent swim!

3strokes
March 31st, 2008, 08:59 PM
TMI,
this thread is likely to have many male lurkers hoping to sneak a peek at the goings on.

Not without pictures.

I've written, therefore I am NOT a lurker...........

kristilynn
March 31st, 2008, 09:10 PM
I like my high-neck fastskin a lot, but I have to admit that I've never tried the other kind of back. I did notice that right off of my start, with my arms in a streamline position, that I felt like the fabric bunch just enough to allow a pretty good gush of water to run down my back. Doesn't make much difference in the mile I suppose, but it could mean a lot in a sprint I guess.

The Fortress
March 31st, 2008, 10:35 PM
I like my high-neck fastskin a lot, but I have to admit that I've never tried the other kind of back. I did notice that right off of my start, with my arms in a streamline position, that I felt like the fabric bunch just enough to allow a pretty good gush of water to run down my back. Doesn't make much difference in the mile I suppose, but it could mean a lot in a sprint I guess.

Do you think the suit was too big? I haven't noticed that on my FS I high neck ... But maybe I was too oblivious during the 50s to notice it.

Anyone notice, however, that if you log on to check event rankings or whatnot, the "men" are always listed as the default. You have to click on "women" to get to our events. You'd think they could alternate that every year or something.

tjburk
April 1st, 2008, 08:19 AM
No lurking for me here......I'll just sit here in the last stall on the end and listen!!!!:rofl::rofl:

Amazing what you can hear in here when they think we aren't around!!!!!!

kristilynn
April 2nd, 2008, 10:31 PM
Do you think the suit was too big? I haven't noticed that on my FS I high neck ... But maybe I was too oblivious during the 50s to notice it.

Anyone notice, however, that if you log on to check event rankings or whatnot, the "men" are always listed as the default. You have to click on "women" to get to our events. You'd think they could alternate that every year or something.

I've actually wondered if I have my fastskin sized right. I always seem to get into mine a lot more easily that other women that I have observed struggling into theirs in the locker room. Just how hard are they supposed to be to put on? How do you really tell if you have the right fit?

The Fortress
April 2nd, 2008, 11:06 PM
I've actually wondered if I have my fastskin sized right. I always seem to get into mine a lot more easily that other women that I have observed struggling into theirs in the locker room. Just how hard are they supposed to be to put on? How do you really tell if you have the right fit?

They should be a substantially smaller size than your practice suit. For example, I wear a 32 in endurance suits or a 30 in a splish. But my Pro is a 26 and my FS II is a 27. Now, you're probably taller than me, but still ... Most people buy them too big. The people at the swim stores recommend you get them as small as humanly impossible. It should take some time to get into them. If you're slipping it on in a couple minutes, it's way too big. Budget at least 10-15 minutes. Since Pros rip easily, maybe more. If once the suit is on, you can pull the straps up more than an inch or so, it's probably too big.

Watching a woman get into her suit is just too hysterical. At my last meet, one woman went into the handicapped stall to sit on the floor because she did not want to subject anyone to the torture of watching her get into it. lol The thighs and hips are torture!

On another subject, I was recently told that suit spinners were terrible for your suits. Is that right? They don't seem to do anything to my endurance suits, but I was wondering.

ALM
April 3rd, 2008, 12:03 AM
On another subject, I was recently told that suit spinners were terrible for your suits. Is that right? They don't seem to do anything to my endurance suits, but I was wondering.

I have been told the same thing, by a friend who owns a swim store in Indianapolis. She said that the centrifugal force stretches the fibers in the suit.

My gut feel is that if this is true, the spinners are probably harder on Lycra fibers than on polyester. Lycra is just so fragile once it's been exposed to chlorine.

Oh, here's the web site for the suit spinners: http://www.suitmate.com/

Anna Lea

blainesapprentice
April 3rd, 2008, 12:27 AM
They should be a substantially smaller size than your practice suit. For example, I wear a 32 in endurance suits or a 30 in a splish. But my Pro is a 26 and my FS II is a 27. Now, you're probably taller than me, but still ... Most people buy them too big. The people at the swim stores recommend you get them as small as humanly impossible. It should take some time to get into them. If you're slipping it on in a couple minutes, it's way too big. Budget at least 10-15 minutes. Since Pros rip easily, maybe more. If once the suit is on, you can pull the straps up more than an inch or so, it's probably too big.

Watching a woman get into her suit is just too hysterical. At my last meet, one woman went into the handicapped stall to sit on the floor because she did not want to subject anyone to the torture of watching her get into it. lol The thighs and hips are torture!

You have not fully experienced the college championship meet until you've been witness to the post-warm ups lockerroom festivities. You go in there with technical suit in hand and a towel. Every shower stall is occupied and if your a modest folk and like privacy for this event (which is really what it is, its own separate event or extension of warm-ups) you will need to wait for a stall to become free. To the unexperienced observer the sounds permeating from the lockerrooms at this time might be quite questionable.

I'd say the first day or two of wearing my technical suits it takes me a good 10-15 minutes to get into a bodyskin. After those first few times though idk if its my own lack of patience or the fact that thats how much the suit stretches out over only a few uses the time it takes to get into the contraption goes down to about half the time.

I wear a 28 fastskin--i wear 28 and 30s for practicing but, I feel that for the technical suits the 28 is sufficiently tight as I have very large legs and I have a wider body shape (hips) lol than a lot of girls. I probably could have gotten a 26 this last time around, because I am only 5'3 and I had some extra material on the ankles.

swimshark
April 3rd, 2008, 08:04 AM
Fort, that is gross!!! Dead skin?! Ewww. The one that gets me is the 70+ year old woman who gets dresed in the sauna. First of all, how can you get dressed while so hot and secondly, that's nasty that she goes in there naked. Yuck.

cwilson
April 3rd, 2008, 09:12 AM
This isn't just a women's thing but...what about the couple (man in his 60s woman in her 30s) that decides it's a good idea to make out in the open swim area of the pool...WHILE 9-12 year olds are practicing and when there are water aerobics classes going on. Is there no shame? The worst part is the woman was rather BUSTY and about 5 inches of cleavage were hanging out (or should I say floating)...and she took joy in bouncing up and down and having her "honey" look (practically drooling) at her water balloons...Grrrrrrosssssssss...Get a room already! :hug:

kkarvola
April 3rd, 2008, 10:25 AM
We have a recent edition at my gym - 16-ish year old girl who struts out in a gold STRING bikini, trots gingerly to the hot tub, splashes around a minute, then leaves if there are nothing but me and old men in there. I didn't know that Xsport had a day care/dating service in the pool area

The Fortress
April 3rd, 2008, 11:04 AM
This isn't just a women's thing but...what about the couple (man in his 60s woman in her 30s) that decides it's a good idea to make out in the open swim area of the pool...WHILE 9-12 year olds are practicing and when there are water aerobics classes going on. Is there no shame? The worst part is the woman was rather BUSTY and about 5 inches of cleavage were hanging out (or should I say floating)...and she took joy in bouncing up and down and having her "honey" look (practically drooling) at her water balloons...Grrrrrrosssssssss...Get a room already! :hug:

You're much nicer than me. This happened in the large hot tub adjacent to my gym pool recently. I asked the lovely couple to tone it down please.

Morgan, your comments are interesting. I often think they make fastskins for people with skinny legs and big chests, as if we were Barbie dolls instead of swimmers. My fastskins are always super tight on the legs -- thus the locker room gyrations and groans -- and too loose up top. But them I am not of the BUSTY gold bikini club either.

You're definitely right about them being easier to get into over time. They say the Pro is supposed to hold its shape, but I can get mine on pretty quickly now after 6-7 meets of use.

Donna
April 3rd, 2008, 11:35 AM
I am going to have to purchase a new one soon. I bought my Tyr AquaShift this past summer at Nationals when I was 20 pounds heavier and had bigger thighs. It took quite a while to get into it the first few times. Now it is just like putting on a regular suit, no effort at all.

I normally wear a 38 Speedo Endurance or 40 Tyr polyester for workouts now. I do have a longer torso. My AquaShift is a size 36 and I am wondering if I go down to a 34 or a 32? I don't think my thighs are small enough to try the largest of the speedo's yet, since they are advertised to fit 21 inch thighs and mine are still 22.5 inches.

Any thoughts?

ande
April 3rd, 2008, 11:51 AM
I am a fan of suit spinners but you want to be real careful with racing suits, I didn't stuff my old FS I deep enough, part of the leg drifted up over the edge and got shredded

ande

I have been told the same thing, by a friend who owns a swim store in Indianapolis. She said that the centrifugal force stretches the fibers in the suit.

My gut feel is that if this is true, the spinners are probably harder on Lycra fibers than on polyester. Lycra is just so fragile once it's been exposed to chlorine.

Oh, here's the web site for the suit spinners: http://www.suitmate.com/

Anna Lea

Julie Roddin
April 3rd, 2008, 12:06 PM

There were three of us on the locker room last weekend getting into our suits, it was hilarious! Mine takes about 10 minutes.

I wear a 32 (sometimes a 34 in endurance) in practice suits and my FS2 that I wore last weekend is a 29. I ordered another FS2 on ebay last week and it's a 28 and doesn't feel that much different and wasn't that much harder to get on. Not sure about how it will feel in the pool, will try it out next weekend at zones. I did notice that at the beginning of my 500 that my quads felt really constricted and pretty tired while I was swimming. Not sure if it had anything to do with the suit or just that I wasn't rested/tapered at all and was trying to sprint the 500. Would someone PLEASE make sure that I don't try to sprint the 500 at nationals! It was SO painful for the last 150 yards!

Julie

ourswimmer
April 3rd, 2008, 12:06 PM
I haven't worn the TYR Aquashift, Donna, so I don't know how its sizes compare to ordinary TYR sizes. But some of y'all wear your tech suits comparatively bigger than I wear mine.

I practice in a Speedo Endurance 36 or a TYR polyester 34. I do open-water races, where long-term comfort is more critical, in a 34. I am about 5'8" and I weigh about 145. My highneck long-leg FSI is a 27L and it fit me OK when I was 8-10 lbs heavier. Thanks to $25 and ebay, I have a 26L in the highneck also, which I am pretty sure I will be able to wear 1 month from today. If I can't, or if I pop an unacceptably large hole in it, I also have a 27L in the "recordbreaker" that I am sure I can wear. I have also worn a TYR Fusion with "recordbreaker" back and knee-length legs in a 30 and it is downright comfortable. I could go smaller in that style and fabric no problem.

I think the pelvis is the limiting factor. You should get the smallest size that you can work over your hipbones; and yes, working the thing over your hips and butt is pretty difficult. But the rest of you can sort of mash in there.

The Fortress
April 3rd, 2008, 12:14 PM
I haven't worn the TYR Aquashift, Donna, so I don't know how its sizes compare to ordinary TYR sizes. But some of y'all wear your tech suits comparatively bigger than I wear mine.

I practice in a Speedo Endurance 36 or a TYR polyester 34. I do open-water races, where long-term comfort is more critical, in a 34. I am about 5'8" and I weigh about 145. My highneck long-leg FSI is a 27L and it fit me OK when I was 8-10 lbs heavier. Thanks to $25 and ebay, I have a 26L in the highneck also, which I am pretty sure I will be able to wear 1 month from today. If I can't, or if I pop an unacceptably large hole in it, I also have a 27L in the "recordbreaker" that I am sure I can wear. I have also worn a TYR Fusion with "recordbreaker" back and knee-length legs in a 30 and it is downright comfortable. I could go smaller in that style and fabric no problem.

I think the pelvis is the limiting factor. You should get the smallest size that you can work over your hipbones; and yes, working the thing over your hips and butt is pretty difficult. But the rest of you can sort of mash in there.

I think I should have ordered a smaller size in the Pro ... damn.

My daughter is 5'3" and 115 or so and she can mash herself into a 24 in the Pro even with breaststroker thighs. I think you are supposed to order a smaller size for the Pro than the FS IIs, although I do recall Rich Abrahams saying on another thread that he bought his Pro up a size ...

The Pro rips very easily though. Fingernails don't work. And it's pretty hard getting a suit on using just the pads of your fingers. I'm going to use some of those plastic gloves I use for gardening the next time I try to wrench my body into a new Pro.

Also, I heard through the grapevine that the Pros last about 5 minutes? Can this really be right?!

Oh, anyone out there making costume changes between events to ensure a dry suit?

Donna
April 3rd, 2008, 12:29 PM
Last August at Nationals I tried to get the 29 Speedo over my hips and couldn't do it, that is when the girl recommended I try the Tyr suit. Back then I was 178-180 and now I am in the 158-160 range at 5'9". This is the lowest I have been since my senior year of high school so I feel great. I kind of like having this problem of having to buy a new suit, but then again my wallet does not agree but it will!

I guess the next thing to ask is fullbody or kneeskin? So far I have only used the kneeskin and I swim mostly distance free, now some sprints since learning to sprint with the kids team this year and some IM's.

Any comments welcome and appreciated.

ourswimmer
April 3rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
My daughter is 5'3" and 115 or so and she can mash herself into a 24 in the Pro even with breaststroker thighs. I think you are supposed to order a smaller size for the Pro than the FS IIs, although I do recall Rich Abrahams saying on another thread that he bought his Pro up a size ...

I haven't worn a Pro (or an FSII) but I think the Pro sizing chart suggests that you should get one size-number lower in Pro than in FSII. It's so dumb. Some of the other manufacturers, by contrast (like FINIS and Arena) warn you that they have already done the downsizing for you and you better order the same size as your training suit or the seams will suddenly fail and the suit will fly off in all directions like a stripper video on fast-forward and you are absolutely not going to get a refund if that happens.

I bought the 27L because I asked a teammate who is a little smaller than I am (maybe 5'7" and 135?) what size she wore and she said the smallest she had ever worn was a 26.

Oh, anyone out there making costume changes between events to ensure a dry suit?

Yes. Even at meets where I'm just wearing ordinary torso-only suits I change between events so that I don't get cold.

ourswimmer
April 3rd, 2008, 12:48 PM
While I am on a roll with dispensing advice,

Last August at Nationals I tried to get the 29 Speedo over my hips and couldn't do it, that is when the girl recommended I try the Tyr suit. Back then I was 178-180 and now I am in the 158-160 range at 5'9". This is the lowest I have been since my senior year of high school so I feel great. I kind of like having this problem of having to buy a new suit, but then again my wallet does not agree but it will!

Shop ebay. There are lots of new-with-tags FSI and FSII suits available. (Used ones, too, if you are braver than I am.) At your current size, you might be able to wear a Speedo 29L or 30 even though you couldn't when you were 20lb larger. (Way to go!) But if you spent only $40 on it, and you have to set it aside until you lose 10lb more, big deal. Ebay sellers have fewer TYR and Nike suits although I have seen them.

I guess the next thing to ask is fullbody or kneeskin? So far I have only used the kneeskin and I swim mostly distance free, now some sprints since learning to sprint with the kids team this year and some IM's.

I would go for the long legs. I swim distance free and backstroke and I like the legs a lot. I feel as if the full-leg muscle compression helps me maintain a strong kick.

jim clemmons
April 3rd, 2008, 01:38 PM
the seams will suddenly fail and the suit will fly off in all directions like a stripper video on fast-forward and you are absolutely not going to get a refund if that happens.

Think I'll volunteer to watch and verify the concern...

The Fortress
April 3rd, 2008, 02:01 PM
Think I'll volunteer to watch and verify the concern...

My daughter's Pro did this at All Stars. Burst open at the seam after the 100 IM. We got a new suit. If it's a seam rip, it's arguably a suit defect. Paul Smith has ripped and gotten replacement suits too.

I swear I'm bringing all my suits to Nats in case this happens.

ande
April 3rd, 2008, 02:24 PM
I've always wondered what women talk about in the locker room
now we know

knelson
April 3rd, 2008, 02:28 PM
I think a suit malfunction like this is the number one reason to shave down even if you're wearing a full body suit. If my legskin craps out I don't want to be stuck wearing my backup briefs with hairy legs! I guess if your backup is the same style suit it's a non-issue, though.

matysekj
April 3rd, 2008, 02:59 PM
My daughter's Pro did this at All Stars. Burst open at the seam after the 100 IM. We got a new suit. If it's a seam rip, it's arguably a suit defect. Paul Smith has ripped and gotten replacement suits too.

I swear I'm bringing all my suits to Nats in case this happens.

I swear I'm bringing my binoculars to Nats in case this happens. :bolt:

The Fortress
April 3rd, 2008, 03:06 PM
I've always wondered what women talk about in the locker room
now we know

This is only the tip of the iceberg! We chat about how huge our butts are, how childbirth widens your hips and wrecks your stomach, how bad chlorine is for your skin, hair and nails, whether we are due for highlights to hide the gray hair, which suits are the cutest, how to get rid of fat thighs, what the best brands of jeans are, the value of retail therapy, how hormones suck, which BCP is best, and how inept and lazy our spouses can be. We also do, on the odd occasion, talk about training, b*tch about nagging injuries, and discuss whether x guy is hot or not. Oh, boyfriends, breakups, divorces, marriages, re-marriages, etc. are all good discussion topics.

Anything else ladies?

ande
April 3rd, 2008, 03:33 PM
my head is already spinning
this has the potential to be the largest most posted thread in the universe

We chat about how huge our butts are,
they look great

how childbirth widens your hips and wrecks your stomach,
you still look great

how bad chlorine is for your skin, hair and nails,
it is but that's the price we pay

whether we are due for highlights to hide the gray hair
sooner rather than later

which suits are the cutest
smaller and colorful

how to get rid of fat thighs
cut off your legs

what the best brands of jeans are
Lucky, to a guy, it's the one on his floor in the trail to his bedroom

the value of retail therapy
"retail therapy" is that shopping

how hormones suck
they can, my advice is
don't sleep with anyone who's crazier than you

which BCP is best
can't help you there

how inept and lazy our spouses can be
no say it isn't so
we've had a hard day, just let us be in our cave for a while, till we want food or something else
after all don't we bring home the bacon

We also do, on the odd occasion, talk about training
what's that?

b*tch about nagging injuries
hate them, don't get them

discuss whether x guy is hot or not
hope I'm the hot topic

This is only the tip of the iceberg!
We chat about how huge our butts are,
how childbirth widens your hips and wrecks your stomach,
how bad chlorine is for your skin, hair and nails, whether we are due for highlights to hide the gray hair, which suits are the cutest, how to get rid of fat thighs, what the best brands of jeans are, the value of retail therapy, how hormones suck, which BCP is best, and how inept and lazy our spouses can be. We also do, on the odd occasion, talk about training, b*tch about nagging injuries, and discuss whether x guy is hot or not.

Anything else ladies?

The Fortress
April 3rd, 2008, 03:41 PM
which suits are the cutest
smaller and colorful

how inept and lazy our spouses can be
no say it isn't so
we've had a hard day, just let us be in our cave for a while, till we want food or something else
after all don't we bring home the bacon

Now, I just had a big discussion with 2 women on the cute suits topic. Two of us were squarely in the BLACK, BLACK, BLACK camp of suits. (Although we were discussing technical suits). The other one, Miss Polka Dots, has a zillion colorful suits. Since I just trashed another speedo and have been lucky enough to inherit my daughter's splish suits, I have told Miss Polka Dots that I will show up at practice tonight with a blue suit with white polka dots. This will be a first for me.

Go to your cave. Girls bring home the bacon too. It's usually a complaint about the lack of assistance with child care. Non-swimming spouses can be huge pains in the necks. I practically forced Mr. Fort to run a 5K last weekend, so I could hold it over his head that he is "competing" and not just working out all the time.

I did also edit my post to include the obvious topics of boyfriends, breakups, marriages, divorces, re-marriages, affairs, etc.

And EVERY girl I know frets about tapering. That "trust your taper" stuff must be a guy thing.

All the women will discuss your hotness factor when we meet you at Nats. lol

knelson
April 3rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
In my experience not a lot of chit-chat in the men's locker room. There's more at meets then at practice because you see folks you haven't seen in a while. But after practice, not a whole lot of talk. Maybe about how lousy you felt, or conversely how much you kicked the guy's butt by that was swimming next to you :)

ande
April 3rd, 2008, 04:12 PM
I used to wear black lately I sport colors from the bargain bin,
just trashed one that had a crack problem

boyfriends
don't have one

breakups
haven't done that in a long time but I listen well and give great advice

divorces
not so fun hope to never have one
sometimes necessary

marriages
take work, if you're about to get married just date a little longer and see if it lasts

re-marriages
blending families

Girls bring home the bacon too.
that's true, had a talk with a friend who makes way more than her husband and resents him for it

lack of assistance with child care
been there didn't do that
now my kids are old and can pretty much care for themselves

Non-swimming spouses can be huge pains in the necks
lately my wife has been really nice about my swimming

I practically forced Mr. Fort to run a 5K last weekend, so I could hold it over his head that he is "competing" and not just working out all the time.
you're so manipulative

affairs
do women talk about affairs in the locker room?
juicy
you never know who might be listening
they could be talking if their spouse is having one

EVERY girl I know frets about tapering.
That "trust your taper" stuff must be a guy thing.
Don't fret about tapering just swim fast in practice, if you swam fast today and swam fast yesterday you'll probably swim fast tomorrow or a week from now

All the women will discuss your hotness factor when we meet you at Nats
uh oh

Now, I just had a big discussion with 2 women on the cute suits topic. Two of us were squarely in the BLACK, BLACK, BLACK camp of suits. (Although we were discussing technical suits). The other one, Miss Polka Dots, has a zillion colorful suits. Since I just trashed another speedo and have been lucky enough to inherit my daughter's splish suits, I have told Miss Polka Dots that I will show up at practice tonight with a blue suit with white polka dots. This will be a first for me.

Go to your cave. Girls bring home the bacon too. It's usually a complaint about the lack of assistance with child care. Non-swimming spouses can be huge pains in the necks. I practically forced Mr. Fort to run a 5K last weekend, so I could hold it over his head that he is "competing" and not just working out all the time.

I did also edit my post to include the obvious topics of boyfriends, breakups, marriages, divorces, re-marriages, affairs, etc.

And EVERY girl I know frets about tapering. That "trust your taper" stuff must be a guy thing.

All the women will discuss your hotness factor when we meet you at Nats. lol

geochuck
April 3rd, 2008, 04:15 PM
I think all the guy's should stay out of the ladies locker room. There are things said in those women's locker rooms which should not be discussed by men.

I have heard some are even catty when chating.

The Fortress
April 3rd, 2008, 05:13 PM
I practically forced Mr. Fort to run a 5K last weekend, so I could hold it over his head that he is "competing" and not just working out all the time.you're so manipulative

affairs
do women talk about affairs in the locker room?
juicy
you never know who might be listening

Oh, we were already there doing the one mile fun run with lil lil Fort. So there was no reason for him not to do the 5K.

No, other people's affairs in the locker room.

Kirk: I can't believe guys are that boring. :bolt: I have heard some interesting things out of my male teammates' mouths.

ensignada
April 3rd, 2008, 05:35 PM
My fav locker room moment was a couple of weeks ago when 3 German exchange students were getting dressed and dissing every woman in the place in German. I so enjoyed wishing them (in German of course) better luck as they got older. :D

quicksilver
April 3rd, 2008, 05:52 PM
One morning we had an elderly woman wander into the locker room by mistake. They sometimes keep the doors open to let the excess humidity out.
She somehow made it past the third aisle totally oblivious to her surroundings.

One gentleman gave her a good morning at about the same time she took in a huge gasp of air. The look on her face was a combination of extreme embarrassment with hint of cardiac arrest on the way. She did an about face that would have made a drill Sargent quite proud.

The shriek she let out in the main lobby was heard throughout the building.

Must have been a new member.

meldyck
April 3rd, 2008, 06:39 PM
One morning we had an elderly woman wander into the locker room by mistake. They sometimes keep the doors open to let the excess humidity out.
She somehow made it past the third aisle totally oblivious to her surroundings.

One gentleman gave her a good morning at about the same time she took in a huge gasp of air. The look on her face was a combination of extreme embarrassment with hint of cardiac arrest on the way. She did an about face that would have made a drill Sargent quite proud.

The shriek she let out in the main lobby was heard throughout the building.

Must have been a new member.

I've been surprised twice in our locker room at the local YMCA. Neither time was the 'intruder' elderly.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get an invitation to the women's locker room but Grace just won't oblige. My mom took me in when I was a little tad and it made a big impression. I'm interested, purely for scientific purposes, to see if my opinion has changed. Maybe someone else would kindly help in this scholarly venture?

smontanaro
April 3rd, 2008, 07:31 PM
In my experience not a lot of chit-chat in the men's locker room.

Or it's "just the facts". To wit... I swam with the Boulder Area Masters team this morning (man that elevation gain is a killer - talk about the piano...) because we were in town from Evanston doing the college visit thing. I met two other guys, one moved from San Francisco about a year ago. The other guy has a son who's a freshman at Northwestern and runs a tech search firm in Longmont. He really liked the wide lanes at Northwestern's pools.

I couldn't tell you either of their names...

Skip

Slowswim
April 3rd, 2008, 08:03 PM
This is only the tip of the iceberg! We chat about how huge our butts are, how childbirth widens your hips and wrecks your stomach, how bad chlorine is for your skin, hair and nails, whether we are due for highlights to hide the gray hair, which suits are the cutest, how to get rid of fat thighs, what the best brands of jeans are, the value of retail therapy, how hormones suck, which BCP is best, and how inept and lazy our spouses can be. We also do, on the odd occasion, talk about training, b*tch about nagging injuries, and discuss whether x guy is hot or not. Oh, boyfriends, breakups, divorces, marriages, re-marriages, etc. are all good discussion topics.

Anything else ladies?

:snore::snore::snore:

huh?? Where am I? :bolt:

ViveBene
April 4th, 2008, 12:28 AM
"Anything else, ladies?"

Well, yes. Investing. Caring for elderly parents. Pierre Boulez. Lyric Opera. How's work? A book I read. What are you doing this weekend? New clients.

In 21 years of almost daily locker room exposure, I've never heard anyone talk about jeans or fat thighs.:yawn:

Regards, VB

craiglll@yahoo.com
April 4th, 2008, 02:27 AM
I also am not a woman. At the pool where I swim one afternoon i realized that it was very accidently easy to look into the women's lockerroom. the area where the commodes are. always think about where you are and who might be looking. How easy it is to get access to you and are you safe and protected. Many lockerrooms in large university fitness centers are very isolated, muti=doored and not monitored. I live in a twon with a big 10 uiversity that doesn't have a mens' swim team, I always hear about guys getting things stolen in the lockerrooms. Never about the women.

CreamPuff
April 4th, 2008, 08:58 AM
Today was a first for me. I got to the pool early AM and went to the locker room. About 5 minutes later, a man appeared and he was cleaning up the women's locker room, taking out trash, etc. He told me he would be out of my way in a minute. Glad I wasn't in my birthday suit! Wasn't fazed at all only b/c when I went on a college recruiting trip to Stanford some 17 years ago, their restrooms/ bathrooms were co-ed.

Hubby tells me that at his gym, the guys talk a lot about politics (Who you gonna vote for in the upcoming election) and cheating on their wives or girlfriends.

knelson
April 4th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Hubby tells me that at his gym, the guys talk a lot about politics (Who you gonna vote for in the upcoming election) and cheating on their wives or girlfriends.

Important political stuff like how bad of a bowler Obama is? :)

Guys discussing cheating on their wives or girlfriends is exceptionally rare, IMO.

quicksilver
April 4th, 2008, 09:58 AM

Never heard about the latter being a topic of discussion.
Maybe because we live in a Mayberry like community.

Perhaps in Nevada that's more common. Is there a masters team in sin city?

CreamPuff
April 4th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Important political stuff like how bad of a bowler Obama is? :)

Guys discussing cheating on their wives or girlfriends is exceptionally rare, IMO.

Evidently, at our gym, there is a big McCain following. We have quite a few ex-military type that frequent our gym and many worship McCain as he was a POW for months or years.

We were both sort of surprised at the whole cheating/ picking up additional women topics. Basically, my husband started out with, "You won't believe what these guys are talking about in the locker room!" Oh well. Makes for some funny stories!

CreamPuff
April 4th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Never heard about the latter being a topic of discussion.
Maybe because we live in a Mayberry like community.

Perhaps in Nevada that's more common. Is there a masters team in sin city?

Not sure about Nevada but I'm here in Atlanta, more of a hip-hop mecca as opposed to Mayberry.

The Fortress
April 4th, 2008, 11:04 AM
"Anything else, ladies?"

Well, yes. Investing. Caring for elderly parents. Pierre Boulez. Lyric Opera. How's work? A book I read. What are you doing this weekend? New clients.

In 21 years of almost daily locker room exposure, I've never heard anyone talk about jeans or fat thighs.:yawn:

Regards, VB

Oh, we talk about work, kids, parents, vacations, etc. too. But definitely also about fat thighs or other jiggly parts.

I'm reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins now. You?

I'm going to ask Mr. Fort what he talks about. I expect it to be work, politics, taxes and kids though.

ViveBene
April 4th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Oh, we talk about work, kids, parents, vacations, etc. too. But definitely also about fat thighs or other jiggly parts.

I'm reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins now. You?

Bioinformatics (it's a work assignment, and why I'm up on cancer and genomics and proteomics, too).

For train reading, Mieke Bal's Looking In: The Art of Viewing (Caravaggio, Proust, museum going) and Blythe Lucero's 100 Best Swimming Drills.

I like the swimming drills book (which requires overlooking consistent misuse of "lay" instead of "lie"). Took it into the pool last night for my fledgling, or perhaps molting - um, emerging - butterfly. Which took off for a length! Amazing.

Richard Dawkins the biologist? And how our brains get squishy and feel "universal"?

VB

The Fortress
April 4th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Richard Dawkins the biologist? And how our brains get squishy and feel "universal"?

Richard Dawkins, Professor at Oxford who has written books on science and philosophy. Most famous is The Selfish Gene. His newest book focuses on the irrationality of the belief in God and how it fuels wars and such.

Last night, it was quite refreshing to hear one guy on the team talking about being too fat.

kristilynn
April 4th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Okay, I'm still trying to figure out if I should get a new, smaller tech. suit. I currently have a FSII, zipper back, ankle length, size 28. It takes me maybe 2 minutes tops to put it on. I'm 5'6", 130, big hips (37"), small waist (26), tiny chest (34). My polyester workout suits are 30-32, my lycra suits (for non-championship meets) are 26-28. Should I try a 26 in a FS? It sounds really small! Thanks for your input.

And Donna, I highly recommend the ankle length over the knee skin. The knee skins seem far too tight on the bottom seam, especially if you're like me and don't have skinny thighs. A friend of mine, luckily a sprinter, couldn't keep hers on for very long at all without losing circulation. She said that she wouldn't get another knee-skin.

The Fortress
April 4th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Okay, I'm still trying to figure out if I should get a new, smaller tech. suit. I currently have a FSII, zipper back, ankle length, size 28. It takes me maybe 2 minutes tops to put it on. I'm 5'6", 130, big hips (37"), small waist (26), tiny chest (34). My polyester workout suits are 30-32, my lycra suits (for non-championship meets) are 26-28. Should I try a 26 in a FS? It sounds really small! Thanks for your input.

And Donna, I highly recommend the ankle length over the knee skin. The knee skins seem far too tight on the bottom seam, especially if you're like me and don't have skinny thighs. A friend of mine, luckily a sprinter, couldn't keep hers on for very long at all without losing circulation. She said that she wouldn't get another knee-skin.

Go smaller. 27 would fit you fine, I'm guessing. I would never wear a kneeskin either.

aquaFeisty
April 4th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Kneeskins are the root of all evil. I nearly amputated my legs above the knee the last time I tried one on.

Wow, after reading this thread I'm convinced my suit is too big. I'm 5'4" and 132 with very muscular quads. Once any suit makes it to my waist, it's clear sailing to pull it up the rest of the way. I practice in a 32, do local meets in a 30/32 and I got a size 28 Tyr Aquashift full legsuit. Last time I got a tech suit in 2006, I got a size 30 Tyr Aquashift (I was 9 months post-partum at the time and still extremely busty due to nursing.) It probably takes me about 2 min to get into the suit. Ah well, next Nats I'll try to size down again!

Donna
April 4th, 2008, 03:47 PM

I guess I'll have some fun at Nationals shopping! Especially since in my case I really need to try it on and see just which size to get now. I checked ebay last night but did not see anything available above a 27. Knowing in a regular suit I am a 38 I just don't have the comfort level of shelling out full price for a 29 without trying it on.

I must admit I do like my Tyr AquaShift. Kristilynn, what is the difference in feel between the Tyr and Speedo suits and which would you recommend? Especially since I see your picture sporting another favorite of mine the Aquapel.

The Fortress
April 4th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Not that the suit discussion isn't fascinating, but I was wondering whether anyone is having immune system issues or chronic sinusitis? Aside from Hulk, this problem seems to strike more women than men. Most people I know with sinus issues are women. Winter and spring are just deadly.

Any way to avoid this? It sucks getting sick right before a meet. I'd love to have my first healthy April in many years, especially having invested the money to go to Nats.

I think when the pollen hits big time, I'll have to resort to the neti pot.

And while I'm in the locker room, I would just like to say that the 40s suck! I was healthier, slept much better in my 30s and didn't have these PM issues then. I can't stand those stupid commercials about how we are supposed to "come into our own" and "gain confidence" in our 40s. Bunch of baloney. I was fine in my 30s.

Donna
April 4th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I agree everything seems to come apart in the 40's but then again I was able to put it all back together better than in my 20's and 30's, atleast thinner! With chronic lower back pain I can't really say healthier though. But then again over time it has gotten much better.

As to the sinus issues I too have that problem usually Feb & Mar. This March I went to Atlanta for a meet and had the worst case of sinus congestion ever. Upon returning home to Savannah I have to say that MEGA dose of pollen from Atlanta made Savannah begin to feel like heaven. My sinuses have cleared up since then YEAH!

born2fly
April 4th, 2008, 05:16 PM
and here I thought fort was only in her mid to late 20's :doh:

FlyQueen
April 4th, 2008, 05:31 PM
I ordered a size 26 in the FSPro high neck. I'm sending it back for a 25. I probably won't be able to breathe during any of my races but the 26 went over my thighs way too easily. Mind you hips and arse were squeezed in ... sigh ...

The Fortress
April 4th, 2008, 05:33 PM
and here I thought fort was only in her mid to late 20's :doh:

Aw, thanks. :hug:

FlyQueen, I'm trying my on tonight and, if it's on in under 10 minutes, I'm sending it back for a smaller size too. Sheesh.

FlyQueen
April 4th, 2008, 05:36 PM
If you need a smaller size I can send you my 26.

kristilynn
April 4th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I guess I'll have some fun at Nationals shopping! Especially since in my case I really need to try it on and see just which size to get now. I checked ebay last night but did not see anything available above a 27. Knowing in a regular suit I am a 38 I just don't have the comfort level of shelling out full price for a 29 without trying it on.

I must admit I do like my Tyr AquaShift. Kristilynn, what is the difference in feel between the Tyr and Speedo suits and which would you recommend? Especially since I see your picture sporting another favorite of mine the Aquapel.

Donna,
I first purchased my TYR Aquapel for the 2005 SCY Nats. It was my first technical suit, and I liked it just fine. I also used it for Nats in '06 and at Worlds at Stanford. By the end of Worlds I felt like it was stretching out, so I bought my FSII. I really can't say that I preferred one over the other. I do think that the Speedo runs smaller than the TYR, but my performances have been about the same in both suits. The TYR material feels slicker to the touch, and it may have a bit looser fit through the hips. That's about the only difference I noticed.

And... congrats on the weight loss:)

The Fortress
April 7th, 2008, 01:34 PM
If you need a smaller size I can send you my 26.

26 and 27 seemed exactly the same to me.

I got it on after many gyrations with Mini-Fort timing the entry process. The high neck feels less comfortable to me than the recordbreaker. And, if it's really possible, it makes me look even more flat chested. lol

CreamPuff
April 7th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I agree everything seems to come apart in the 40's but then again I was able to put it all back together better than in my 20's and 30's, atleast thinner! With chronic lower back pain I can't really say healthier though. But then again over time it has gotten much better.

As to the sinus issues I too have that problem usually Feb & Mar. This March I went to Atlanta for a meet and had the worst case of sinus congestion ever. Upon returning home to Savannah I have to say that MEGA dose of pollen from Atlanta made Savannah begin to feel like heaven. My sinuses have cleared up since then YEAH!

You people are freaking me out about the 40s.

Anyway, Donna, the neti pot as Leslie said is such a miracle cure for my seasonal allergies. It works immediately and is all I need. Allows me to avoid nasty antihistamines and all their side effects (like being tired and cranky.)

ande
April 7th, 2008, 02:49 PM
it was quite an ordeal to slide on my FS PRO hineck
I feel for y'all

good luck

A

The Fortress
April 7th, 2008, 03:55 PM
slide

How cruel to use that word.

ande
April 7th, 2008, 04:09 PM
cruel, should I had written
struggle
shimmy

To heck with which suit y'all gonna wear at Nats
Which one is most stylish?
http://tinyurl.com/264te8
PRO, FS II, FS, LZR?

The Fortress
April 7th, 2008, 06:07 PM
You people are freaking me out about the 40s.

They suck, especially the sleep issues. :shakeshead: But since you're skipping the baby route, that will help. Having babies does the weirdest things to your body. Freaks your hormones out. My allergies were barely noticeable until after baby #3. Now, breathing is a challenge at times.

BTW, have you tried Quercetin or stinging nettle for allergies or just the neti pot?

On another topic, who lies more about the amount they are working out, men or women? I have this sense that there is an underestimation of how much working out is going on from another thread ... But then I'm the skeptical type.

CreamPuff
April 7th, 2008, 06:16 PM
They suck, especially the sleep issues. :shakeshead: But since you're skipping the baby route, that will help. Having babies does the weirdest things to your body. Freaks your hormones out. My allergies were barely noticeable until after baby #3. Now, breathing is a challenge at times.

BTW, have you tried Quercetin or stinging nettle for allergies or just the neti pot?

Yeah. My friends told me some really freaky things that happened to their bodies during/ after childbirth. What's this about having skin tags form all over your body? They did not sell me on having children. I have a husband, two elderly parents, an immature brother, and a demanding pug. Frankly, I feel like a mother of 5!

I have not heard about Quercetin or stinging nettle at all. I just used the neti pot solo and it worked immediately no matter how bad an attack I was having. Really is miraculous. Who wants to swim on antihistamines?

Chris Stevenson
April 7th, 2008, 06:20 PM
On another topic, who lies more about the amount they are working out, men or women? I have this sense that there is an underestimation of how much working out is going on from another thread ... But then I'm the skeptical type.

I don't know about women; any lying that occurs would probably low-ball the actual amount.

Men? Whatever puts them (us) in the best light. Done properly, it can work either way:

-- "I'm just a little sore from the 80,000 yards I put in this week. Good thing I only did half of it butterfly." (Known as the Baker approach.)

-- "I just set 4 WRs even though I swim about 1000 yards a week." (the Smith statement -- you pick which Smith)

The Fortress
April 7th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Yeah. My friends told me some really freaky things that happened to their bodies during/ after childbirth. What's this about having skin tags form all over your body? They did not sell me on having children. I have a husband, two elderly parents, an immature brother, and a demanding pug. Frankly, I feel like a mother of 5!

I have not heard about Quercetin or stinging nettle at all. I just used the neti pot solo and it worked immediately no matter how bad an attack I was having. Really is miraculous. Who wants to swim on antihistamines?

I can only imagine what my poor CNS suffers through ... I need some PEDs to counteract the depressing effect of my allergy meds ... Quercetin and stinging nettle are homeopathic allergy "meds."

Skin tags from babies? Ew. I didn't get either those or stretch marks, so I feel pretty darn lucky on that score.

CreamPuff
April 7th, 2008, 06:35 PM

I just saw this second thought.

Well, my first thought is that I see a difference between (not gender) but types of athletes disclosing how much they train. I feel that the triathletes I know are VERY honest about their absolute insane training schedule. They train for hours a day and all do doubles if not triples (morning, lunch, evening workouts). Most of them are Ironmen and at the top of their age group. Literally, one day may be that they run 8 miles to swim practice; they swim the practice; they run the 8 miles home and then they'll do a long run or bike in the evening. It's truly insane. Less is more does not apply to tri people.
They wear their crazy workouts like badges of honor. Saturday could be a 5 or 6 hour bike ride.

Of the few masters that I know that actually do doubles, they don't go out of their way to make it known they are doing doubles. I actually ran into one of them doing doubles and they looked sheepishly at me.

If I kick someone's butt (meaning a guy's) in the pool, I usually get an unprovoked exclamation of:
1. I ran a marathon right before practice
2. I have bronchitis and just got over a case of strep throat
3. I haven't been in the water since 1974
4. I'm 50 years old and you are much younger than me

The Fortress
April 7th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Of the few masters that I know that actually do doubles, they don't go out of their way to make it known they are doing doubles. I actually ran into one of them doing doubles and they looked sheepishly at me.

If I kick someone's butt (meaning a guy's) in the pool, I usually get an unprovoked exclamation of:
1. I ran a marathon right before practice
2. I have bronchitis and just got over a case of strep throat
3. I haven't been in the water since 1974
4. I'm 50 years old and you are much younger than me

Ha! I suspected as much.

Guys totally hate getting beat by chicks.

Chris: It must be Paul Smith. I've read the evil one sometimes does --- horrors -- "garbage yards."

meldyck
April 7th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Chris: It must be Paul Smith. I've read the evil one sometimes does --- horrors -- "garbage yards."

I can put that rumor to rest, having trained next to him LC for several weeks before worlds. He does NOT do garbage yards. I hate to say that, since I love jabbing at him. If anything he is the wall tag king.

I remember one practice when he, Smith Junior and Laura were all sharing a lane. Most of the time was spent talking about what should be done rather than actually doing it. I think Laura rolled her eyes several times and just went on swimming.

The Fortress
April 7th, 2008, 07:23 PM
I can put that rumor to rest, having trained next to him LC for several weeks before worlds. He does NOT do garbage yards. I hate to say that, since I love jabbing at him. If anything he is the wall tag king.

I remember one practice when he, Smith Junior and Laura were all sharing a lane. Most of the time was spent talking about what should be done rather than actually doing it. I think Laura rolled her eyes several times and just went on swimming.

I meant the Evil John Smith has written about doing garbage yards!

ande
April 7th, 2008, 08:35 PM
we have 2 pugs
sniggy and tater

ande
April 7th, 2008, 08:37 PM
the term is
dude you just got chicked

Guys totally hate getting beat by chicks.

Chris Stevenson
April 7th, 2008, 09:34 PM
I feel that the triathletes I know are VERY honest about their absolute insane training schedule. They train for hours a day and all do doubles if not triples (morning, lunch, evening workouts). Most of them are Ironmen and at the top of their age group. Literally, one day may be that they run 8 miles to swim practice; they swim the practice; they run the 8 miles home and then they'll do a long run or bike in the evening. It's truly insane. Less is more does not apply to tri people.
They wear their crazy workouts like badges of honor. Saturday could be a 5 or 6 hour bike ride.

So true. For triathletes, a "rest day" is a swim-only day. Oh, and for them a 5-6 hour bike ride is not all that big a deal either (at least, no more than the kinds of workouts YOU do in the water).

But in my experience triathletes (cyclists too) are the world's worst sandbaggers. When I first started going on bike rides with them, I just couldn't BELIEVE all the moaning and groaning that went on before the ride. How awful they've been feeling, how long since the last good ride, how slow they were going to go, on and on. I would think to myself, "what a bunch of old ladies."

Then after 10 minutes the ride would turn into a total hammerfest. (And they love to try to humiliate swimmers, too, for making them look like such tools in the water.)

K-Stew
April 7th, 2008, 09:46 PM
the term is
dude you just got chicked

Dude I get chicked in workout on a regular basis by my lane partner....It hurts, but it does help a little to know she has olympic hardware!

Julie Roddin
April 7th, 2008, 11:32 PM
They train for hours a day and all do doubles if not triples (morning, lunch, evening workouts). Most of them are Ironmen and at the top of their age group. Literally, one day may be that they run 8 miles to swim practice; they swim the practice; they run the 8 miles home and then they'll do a long run or bike in the evening. It's truly insane. Less is more does not apply to tri people.

HA HA! This was ME about 4 years ago. I did a few Ironman races between 2001-2004 and the training was insane. Easily 20+ hours a week during the height of the season. I would say I probably averaged over 15 hours a week between the swim/bike/run/weights throughout the entire season. And really only swam about 9000 yards per week during those years. Being this far away from those years, I just don't know how I ever did it and don't have any desire to do it again. I love swimming and am exhausted from the swim training that I do now.

Having said that, I am JUST as excited about Nationals as I was going into those IM races. Instead of 12 hours of racing during one day, you get 4 days and 6 events and each is it's own unique opportunity. If I completely suck at the 1650, then Friday will be a new day with new races!

CreamPuff
April 8th, 2008, 09:00 AM
we have 2 pugs
sniggy and tater

How cool! I'm a big pug-lover!

Ours is Frappie (short for Frappuccino). He is also known as Mr. Pickles. He's the laziest family member BY FAR. His dog food is designer, organic and we joke that it's more expensive than my husband's lunches!

The Fortress
April 8th, 2008, 09:04 AM
But in my experience triathletes (cyclists too) are the world's worst sandbaggers. When I first started going on bike rides with them, I just couldn't BELIEVE all the moaning and groaning that went on before the ride. How awful they've been feeling, how long since the last good ride, how slow they were going to go, on and on. I would think to myself, "what a bunch of old ladies."

You must have missed Evil Smith's "whining and complaining" thread. I thought all endurance athletes were notorious for this stuff.

Hmmmm.... I'm gonna enjoy chicking Hulk in our zones gridge!

No dogs in the locker room! I'm already reaching for the antihistamines just reading about them. Starting to break out in hives too.

CreamPuff
April 8th, 2008, 09:07 AM
So true. For triathletes, a "rest day" is a swim-only day. Oh, and for them a 5-6 hour bike ride is not all that big a deal either (at least, no more than the kinds of workouts YOU do in the water).

PLEASE don't tell me that my 2 hour workout yesterday is like a 6 hour bike ride! I think so NOT! I can't last more than 45 minutes on a bike! Today was stroke and turn day w/ the head coach (he just got back from the Toyota Grand Prix meet)! It was AWESOME!! We went through SDK off the walls and free flip turns w/ SDK step by step. I got tips I had NEVER heard of! I can actually make it out 10 meters now by just following his tips (an improvement from barely making it to the flags!). It's tiring granted - but I can at least get out far now!! Who knew!? Here I am off the wall now
:bolt:

Then after 10 minutes the ride would turn into a total hammerfest. (And they love to try to humiliate swimmers, too, for making them look like such tools in the water.)

Totally. They hate swimmers!! I guess I know why now. They've even told me to my face. Some of them are rather nasty (not all mind you!) Oh well.

CreamPuff
April 8th, 2008, 09:11 AM
HA HA! This was ME about 4 years ago. I did a few Ironman races between 2001-2004 and the training was insane. Easily 20+ hours a week during the height of the season. I would say I probably averaged over 15 hours a week between the swim/bike/run/weights throughout the entire season. And really only swam about 9000 yards per week during those years. Being this far away from those years, I just don't know how I ever did it and don't have any desire to do it again. I love swimming and am exhausted from the swim training that I do now.

Having said that, I am JUST as excited about Nationals as I was going into those IM races. Instead of 12 hours of racing during one day, you get 4 days and 6 events and each is it's own unique opportunity. If I completely suck at the 1650, then Friday will be a new day with new races!

Very, very impressive Julie! I so agree with you on the training issues and on how great swim meets are in comparison to the tri races. (I never felt like puking or passing out after a swim race!) I tried some sprint tris and it was awful. Waay to hard. I love swimming as it really does seem ez and so much more FUN in comparison!

CreamPuff
April 8th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Isobel,

My husband and I don't have kids. I think that automatically gives me somewhere around an extra 22 hours a day.
:laugh2:
Okay, I posted on the wrong thread. Hopefully, you will see this here.

The Fortress
April 8th, 2008, 09:15 AM
PLEASE don't tell me that my 2 hour workout yesterday is like a 6 hour bike ride! I think so NOT! I can't last more than 45 minutes on a bike! Today was stroke and turn day w/ the head coach (he just got back from the Toyota Grand Prix meet)! It was AWESOME!! We went through SDK off the walls and free flip turns w/ SDK step by step. I got tips I had NEVER heard of! I can actually make it out 10 meters now by just following his tips (an improvement from barely making it to the flags!). It's tiring granted - but I can at least get out far now!! Who knew!? Here I am off the wall now

Can you share those tips please for those of us that are mostly uncoached?

Oh, saw this about neti pots today: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/04/AR2008040403232.html

(S)he, kids are a huge time drain. I'm looking at my calendar this week and freaking out with all the appointments, sports etc. I have a local zones meet at my home pool. Should me easy, no? Not. 3 day kids prelim/final swim meet, 2 track meets, one in another state, soccer game, birthday party ... Got an email from our coach advising us to "stay off our feet." Mr. Fort is gone until late Friday night. And my swim practice car pool is caput for this week. Plus, teenagers are mostly unpleasant and so self-centered it's ridiculous! The girls are drama queens and the boys can be surly know-it-alls. lol.

swimcat
April 8th, 2008, 09:17 AM
How cool! I'm a big pug-lover!

Ours is Frappie (short for Frappuccino). He is also known as Mr. Pickles. He's the laziest family member BY FAR. His dog food is designer, organic and we joke that it's more expensive than my husband's lunches!

ok puggy lovers..i have a 15 1/2 yr old pug (pugsley) . :oldman:he is demanding.
always been a picky eater.

Julie Roddin
April 8th, 2008, 09:28 AM
ok puggy lovers..i have a 15 1/2 yr old pug (pugsley) . :oldman:he is demanding.

My neighbor has two pugs. They like to chase my 80 lbs. collie and I think he's actually scared of them. What a BIG baby!

CreamPuff
April 8th, 2008, 09:28 AM

15.5 yrs? Isn't that like 108.5 years old? I HOPE my little guy will be around that long!!

Mine is really demanding too!! He sleeps with us and is allowed on all the couches. Anywhere really. He barks at us to remind him when to feed him. He barks when he wants a specific toy. We feed him the fancy dog food (Halo Pet's Spots Stew) and it's supposed to be range chicken or lamb and fit for human consumption. When my mother takes care of him when hubby and I are out of town he gets his own soft boiled egg and pieces of fillet mignon. He also gets his teeth professionally cleaned at the vet.

I am officially a dog owner FREAK!

hrietz
April 8th, 2008, 09:36 AM

I have two pugs. Lucy is a 5 year old fawn pug and Lily is my baby (1 year old black pug). They are NOT picky eaters but in fact eat everything in sight.

To not stray from the topic, I have been 40 for exactly two weeks now and I can honestly say that every minute so far has been horrible. I spent it in Kawaii, Hawaii where I caught a cold (10 + hours on an airplane with 200 people will do that). Once I returned to Nashville, it progressed to bronchitis which needless to say has hindered my training. In the two days or so that I felt better I went for a 4 mile run and strained my achilles tendon. If this is what the 40's are like, then just shoot me now! At least, I can still sleep!

swimcat
April 8th, 2008, 09:38 AM
15.5 yrs? Isn't that like 108.5 years old? I HOPE my little guy will be around that long!!

Mine is really demanding too!! He sleeps with us and is allowed on all the couches. Anywhere really. He barks at us to remind him when to feed him. He barks when he wants a specific toy. We feed him the fancy dog food (Halo Pet's Spots Stew) and it's supposed to be range chicken or lamb and fit for human consumption. When my mother takes care of him when hubby and I are out of town he gets his own soft boiled egg and pieces of fillet mignon. He also gets his teeth professionally cleaned at the vet.

I am officially a dog owner FREAK!

unfortunately, mine is not doing well:sad: because of him I now work at home, and have not had a vacation in how long. he's been a great little guy. never has liked the water. I took him to the beach once and he was furious.:drown: n ot a floater, a real sinker..

The Fortress
April 8th, 2008, 09:38 AM
At least, I can still sleep!

Don't jinx yourself, lady! You got maybe 5 years tops on that issue.

CreamPuff
April 8th, 2008, 09:43 AM

Oh, saw this about neti pots today: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/04/AR2008040403232.html

(S)he, kids are a huge time drain. I'm looking at my calendar this week and freaking out with all the appointments, sports etc. I have a local zones meet at my home pool. Should me easy, no? Not. 3 day kids prelim/final swim meet, 2 track meets, one in another state, soccer game, birthday party ... Got an email from our coach advising us to "stay off our feet." Mr. Fort is gone until late Friday night. And my swim practice car pool is caput for this week. Plus, teenagers are mostly unpleasant and so self-centered it's ridiculous! The girls are drama queens and the boys can be surly know-it-alls. lol.

No need to convince me not to have kids!

Without getting too verbose, does this help?

Focus Points on free flip turns w/ SDK and breakout
1. On last pull to wall: Drive downward w/ arm and hand and head; use head and abs to flip quickly (I NEVER knew to drive DOWN on last pull into the wall)

2. Flip STRAIGHT over (not at an angle as you lose velocity); I tend to flip sideways or at an angle

3. Streamline w/ arms AT and squeezing ears (not behind); I had arms way behind my ears as I thought this was better but it's not as it made for a sloppy streamline w/ an arched back

4. Take your time and push off ONLY - DO NOT start dolphin kick right away!!! Wait a brief moment! Then begin dolphin kicks. Who knew? I rushed this and always tried to dolphin as quickly as possible.

5. Take several dolphin kicks on your side, then rotate to stomach and continue dolphin kicks; Dolphin kick starts from mid-chest and goes downward to your toes. DO NOT try and move your head, neck and shoulders when dolphining. (I tried to do that.)

6. After dolphining on stomach, ascend and breakout with your flutter kick. TAKE YOUR TIME and breakout w/ flutter kick first, THEN start in with the arms; Think about ascending to the surface like a SUBMARINE. (I tried to flutter kick and move my arms at the same time. That is wrong).

7. Head looks directly down at pool bottom when on stomach. Do not attempt to move your head around and out of the streamline position or pull it up! Think neutral position.

Get out to the 10 meter mark.

Do a set of 8x50 @ 1:00 starting from the middle of the pool (to get in 2 flip turns per 50). Swim slow but execute perfect turns.

I hope I explained this correctly.

Take your time to work on each element. Don't rush it in order to have a
:bolt: (speedy) turn. Sort of counterintuitive. . .

Julie Roddin
April 8th, 2008, 09:45 AM
I have two pugs. Lucy is a 5 year old fawn pug and Lily is my baby (1 year old black pug). They are NOT picky eaters but in fact eat everything in sight.

To not stray from the topic, I have been 40 for exactly two weeks now and I can honestly say that every minute so far has been horrible. I spent it in Kawaii, Hawaii where I caught a cold (10 + hours on an airplane with 200 people will do that). Once I returned to Nashville, it progressed to bronchitis which needless to say has hindered my training. In the two days or so that I felt better I went for a 4 mile run and strained my achilles tendon. If this is what the 40's are like, then just shoot me now! At least, I can still sleep!

Yikes! I hope you feel better! Where do you swim in Nashville? I was there a few weeks ago and swam with the team at the Tracy Caulkins pool a few times. I thought that everyone on the team and the two coaches (Brad & Jed) were super nice! The pool was incredible!

FEEL BETTER!

hrietz
April 8th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Yikes! I hope you feel better! Where do you swim in Nashville? I was there a few weeks ago and swam with the team at the Tracy Caulkins pool a few times. I thought that everyone on the team and the two coaches (Brad & Jed) were super nice! The pool was incredible!

FEEL BETTER!

Thanks Julie. I actually work at the hospital next door to that pool. The pool is great and FAST but it can get cold. Brad Kale is an awesome coach. Unfortunately that team practices from 6:30 a.m.-7:30 a.m. which is WAY too late for me. I swim at 5 a.m. in Brentwood with the rival program and on my own. Because of my insane work schedule, I am drawing up the plans for a two lane, 25 yard pool in my back yard with an adjacent post-workout hot tub so if you come back to Nashville in a year or so you can come swim at my house!

CreamPuff
April 8th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Thanks Julie. I actually work at the hospital next door to that pool. The pool is great and FAST but it can get cold. Brad Kale is an awesome coach. Unfortunately that team practices from 6:30 a.m.-7:30 a.m. which is WAY too late for me. I swim at 5 a.m. in Brentwood with the rival program and on my own. Because of my insane work schedule, I am drawing up the plans for a two lane, 25 yard pool in my back yard with an adjacent post-workout hot tub so if you come back to Nashville in a year or so you can come swim at my house!

Heather, I too hope you feel better. I need some good 40s stories!!
If you are having bad experiences in your 40s, I hate to see what I'm going to encounter. :toohurt:

5 AM is impressive. I am hurting from 5:30 AM practices this week (I'm used to the very late hour of 5:45 AM.) No wonder you are thinking about building a pool - how awesome is that to be able to do it!! If you add in one more lane, you could just about hold a swim meet there!! We joke in my family that we could actually put in an olympic size pool in our backyard as we have plenty of space. I always decline as I could see myself growing old just picking leaves out of that thing every day! ICK! Send us pics when it's done!

Pugs rule!

The Fortress
April 8th, 2008, 10:11 AM
No need to convince me not to have kids!

Without getting too verbose, does this help?

Focus Points on free flip turns w/ SDK and breakout
1. On last pull to wall: Drive downward w/ arm and hand and head; use head and abs to flip quickly (I NEVER knew to drive DOWN on last pull into the wall)

2. Flip STRAIGHT over (not at an angle as you lose velocity); I tend to flip sideways or at an angle

3. Streamline w/ arms AT and squeezing ears (not behind); I had arms way behind my ears as I thought this was better but it's not as it made for a sloppy streamline w/ an arched back

4. Take your time and push off ONLY - DO NOT start dolphin kick right away!!! Wait a brief moment! Then begin dolphin kicks. Who knew? I rushed this and always tried to dolphin as quickly as possible.

5. Take several dolphin kicks on your side, then rotate to stomach and continue dolphin kicks; Dolphin kick starts from mid-chest and goes downward to your toes. DO NOT try and move your head, neck and shoulders when dolphining. (I tried to do that.)

6. After dolphining on stomach, ascend and breakout with your flutter kick. TAKE YOUR TIME and breakout w/ flutter kick first, THEN start in with the arms; Think about ascending to the surface like a SUBMARINE. (I tried to flutter kick and move my arms at the same time. That is wrong).

7. Head looks directly down at pool bottom when on stomach. Do not attempt to move your head around and out of the streamline position or pull it up! Think neutral position.

Get out to the 10 meter mark.

Do a set of 8x50 @ 1:00 starting from the middle of the pool (to get in 2 flip turns per 50). Swim slow but execute perfect turns.

I hope I explained this correctly.

Take your time to work on each element. Don't rush it in order to have a
:bolt: (speedy) turn. Sort of counterintuitive. . .

Thank you! By some miracle, I think this is largely what I am doing. Except sometimes I do go a bit sideways on the free turns too. Trying to eradicate that completely.

CreamPuff
April 8th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Thank you! By some miracle, I think this is largely what I am doing. Except sometimes I do go a bit sideways on the free turns too. Trying to eradicate that completely.

Glad it helped (and how great that you were already doing that!) It sounds obvious after writing it. But it was helpful for me to go through the whole process step by step with a coach. Turns out I was doing LOTS of things incorrectly. Makes sense based on my pitiful race turns!

hrietz
April 8th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Heather, I too hope you feel better. I need some good 40s stories!!
If you are having bad experiences in your 40s, I hate to see what I'm going to encounter. :toohurt:

5 AM is impressive. I am hurting from 5:30 AM practices this week (I'm used to the very late hour of 5:45 AM.) No wonder you are thinking about building a pool - how awesome is that to be able to do it!! If you add in one more lane, you could just about hold a swim meet there!! We joke in my family that we could actually put in an olympic size pool in our backyard as we have plenty of space. I always decline as I could see myself growing old just picking leaves out of that thing every day! ICK! Send us pics when it's done!

Pugs rule!

Kristina.

Enjoy 35! It was my fastest year as well. I hate to admit it but things do slow down (at least they did for me) and there was a big difference for me between 35 and 39. The athletic slow down won't bother me, though, as much as the hormonal stuff. At least I have a few years before that.

The biggest draw back for the pool for me is the fact that basically I am then pretty much committed to this house, forever. As far as the leaves go, isn't that what your husband is for? ha...ha...

Nashville has a Pug Festival sometime in May every year. You guys should bring Frappie. Hundreds of pugs gathered in one place for games and contests. It is a hoot...

kkarvola
April 8th, 2008, 10:17 AM
My neighbor has two pugs. They like to chase my 80 lbs. collie and I think he's actually scared of them. What a BIG baby!

That's so funny! They are so bossy - our neighbors have a small (but VERY chunky) pug, and my 100 lb lab, Norman, is so afraid of her! He is also totally dominated by my cousins' french bulldog. Norm is a giant lap-baby and extreeemely pampered. Organic food included - bad allergies mean he eats better than us at the tune of $50-70 per bag!

We are ridiculous pet-parents for our fur-baby!:rofl:

swimcat
April 8th, 2008, 10:24 AM
on breast,free and fly the head has to look down on the pull out(break out)..easier said than done. i know i was lifting my head on the breasstroke pullout for air and just corrected it and now go farther. i watch alot of the goswim videos.

a good 40's story. after a severe injury(was sidelined a year). I added 10lbs. I hired a trainer, etc all the right things... had to relearn to swim since I have to make adjustments for my weak left shoulder...
anywho.... it was pilates and yoga that finally did it. I never believed in that. but finally shaped up. I also had to cut my yardage, i was used to 4500 yd workouts. The shoulder won't stand for it 5 days a week.
I also do abwheel (it is a b###h at first). I do alot of fly kicks on my back too. Core work is the ticket.
I think I am more fit than when i was in my 30s. yeah, i get tired faster and don't recover as before, but I think it is the injury and not age for me.

Chris Stevenson
April 8th, 2008, 10:25 AM
PLEASE don't tell me that my 2 hour workout yesterday is like a 6 hour bike ride! I think so NOT!

And many cyclists/triathletes would not last through 10 minutes of your swimming workouts. People adapt to their training.

I don't cycle as much anymore (I'll try to start up again a little in the summer) but even in my cycling heyday, 5-6 hour rides were few and far between for me but 3-4 hour rides were not. I didn't consider them inherently more difficult than swim practices; you just have to make more allowances for hydration and fueling. The intensity is more important than the volume: I've had 1-hour rides and workouts that were absolutely exhausting.

ande
April 8th, 2008, 10:34 AM
time drain + teenagers are mostly unpleasant and so self-centered it's ridiculous!

that made me laugh
yesterday my daughter fought with my wife then later she texted her to bring her a Starbucks drink to school, which she didn't

hrietz
April 8th, 2008, 11:08 AM
And many cyclists/triathletes would not last through 10 minutes of your swimming workouts. People adapt to their training.

I don't cycle as much anymore (I'll try to start up again a little in the summer) but even in my cycling heyday, 5-6 hour rides were few and far between for me but 3-4 hour rides were not. I didn't consider them inherently more difficult than swim practices; you just have to make more allowances for hydration and fueling. The intensity is more important than the volume: I've had 1-hour rides and workouts that were absolutely exhausting.

For me, the biggest drawback is the danger. I can't tell you how many triathletes I know who have had major accidents (concussions, broken limbs, etc.) during their rides. Last year, two blocks from my house, I was almost hit by an old lady in a gold Cadillac who was backing up out of her driveway at full speed. Since then, my racing bike sits in my garage and I stick to my stationary bike. Swimming is so much safer especially for those of us that are somewhat clumsy on land.

Ripple
April 8th, 2008, 12:08 PM
I had trouble with sleep and mood swings from age 43 until about 47. Now that I'm approaching 50 and my periods are getting further and further apart, I seem to be sleeping well again (although I usually wake up at 3:00 a.m.) and feel calmer and more laid back than I ever have before. When I do have bouts of insomnia lasting 3 or 4 days, I try not to force it or fret about it, I just tell myself that it's temporary and I'll get through it. It's sort of like weather, there's nothing you can do about it so you might as well not get upset.
Sometimes it helps to go to bed an hour later than normal. I'm not sure why this works, but it often does. And avoid watching t.v. in the hour before bed. Again, I'm not sure why, but that seems to interfere with sleep. So does any amount of alcohol in the evening.

geochuck
April 8th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Life is too complicated when you are in the Ladies Locker Room. I think I will go to the Laddies Locker Room.

pwolf66
April 8th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Hmmmm.... I'm gonna enjoy chicking Hulk in our zones gridge!

If ya do, ya do. That just means you're a better swimmer. But then we arm wrestle. :-)

Paul

ALM
April 8th, 2008, 12:37 PM
You youngsters, do not despair. I'm 47 and feel as good as I ever did.

:bouncing:

orca1946
April 8th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I'm glad i'm a guy. Thanx for stepping up to the plate for us ladies.

The Fortress
April 8th, 2008, 01:57 PM
If ya do, ya do. That just means you're a better swimmer. But then we arm wrestle. :-)

Paul

Tsk tsk. Arm wrestling is bad for shoulders. Sit up contest?

Jayhawk: I know you're on drugs! Or a yaz addict. Or something.

pwolf66
April 8th, 2008, 03:32 PM
[quote=The Fortress;129202]Tsk tsk. Arm wrestling is bad for shoulders. Sit up contest?

[quote]

Sure, but in the interest of fairness we have to equalize the weight so you have to hold 2 45lb plates while doing your situps :rolleyes:

Paul

The Fortress
April 8th, 2008, 04:20 PM
[quote=The Fortress;129202]Tsk tsk. Arm wrestling is bad for shoulders. Sit up contest?

[quote]

Sure, but in the interest of fairness we have to equalize the weight so you have to hold 2 45lb plates while doing your situps :rolleyes:

Paul

We could carry on this gridge at Nats. Loser wears Paul Smith's tutu at the forum dinner. I'm sure it's a lovely shade of pink that matches your complexion nicely.

P.S. I visited my ENT doc today for the annual check up. He said most viruses are spread by doorknobs and money. Money is apparently just downright filthy.

swim4me
April 8th, 2008, 07:00 PM
time drain + teenagers are mostly unpleasant and so self-centered it's ridiculous!

that made me laugh
yesterday my daughter fought with my wife then later she texted her to bring her a Starbucks drink to school, which she didn't

My Freshman at UT daughter is the same. Drinking Starbucks, new clothes, paid-for car, vacations, cell phone, seeing all the latest movies, etc... (we give her an allowance for the first two and the movies). One day she was telling me...... "I am so afraid that I won't have your (her dad's and mine) lifestyle when I get on my own." I replied, "What are you talking about, we don't have your lifestyle!" They really have no clue!!!!

jim clemmons
April 8th, 2008, 07:21 PM
My Freshman at UT daughter is the same. Drinking Starbucks, new clothes, paid-for car, vacations, cell phone, seeing all the latest movies, etc... (we give her an allowance for the first two and the movies). One day she was telling me...... "I am so afraid that I won't have your (her dad's and mine) lifestyle when I get on my own." I replied, "What are you talking about, we don't have your lifestyle!" They really have no clue!!!!

Yeah, and it's not just a southwest deal. It's like that on the west coast as well.

The Fortress
April 8th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Yeah, and it's not just a southwest deal. It's like that on the west coast as well.

East coast too.

They don't seem to understand the poor student gig.

jim clemmons
April 8th, 2008, 07:39 PM
They don't seem to understand the poor student gig.

Guess we're just too protective. Otta let 'em suffer like we did (or like I did!).

tjburk
April 9th, 2008, 09:14 AM
That was the whole reason I ended up joining the Army back in 1982....got tired of scraping to get by.....of course the military pay starting out wasn't much either.....but at least I had three hots and a cot!!!!!:blah::blah:

3strokes
April 9th, 2008, 03:15 PM
P.S. I visited my ENT doc today for the annual check up. He said most viruses are spread by (1) doorknobs and (2) money. Money is ..... filthy.

So that is why (reason 1) women let men open doors for them!

But why do they keep taking our (2) ?

The Fortress
April 9th, 2008, 08:26 PM
So that is why (reason 1) women let men open doors for them!

But why do they keep taking our (2) ?

Hahahaha. I open my own doors and make my own money. :thhbbb::thhbbb: True, I used to make a lot more, but I drew the short stick on the genetic end and was responsible for popping out some babies. I then had an inexplicable desire to see them rather than work 24/7.

On another topic, I am always, and I mean always, starving lately. I believe I've read this can be caused by fluctuating hormones. It can't be all swimming, can it?

K-Stew
April 9th, 2008, 08:35 PM
Hahahaha. I open my own doors and make my own money. :thhbbb::thhbbb: True, I used to make a lot more, but I drew the short stick on the genetic end and was responsible for popping out some babies. I then had an inexplicable desire to see them rather than work 24/7.

On another topic, I am always, and I mean always, starving lately. I believe I've read this can be caused by fluctuating hormones. It can't be all swimming, can it?

Fort

Could it also be that your eating for two??? There is a little rumour on another thread that someone is........I do beleive your name was mentioned as a possibility???

Big AL
April 9th, 2008, 08:38 PM

If you are resting for a meet, then taper time is the worst!

Working hard at practice makes you hungry, but the few weeks during taper makes me ravenous. I really have to watch the calorie intake. I can't explain it.:frustrated:

The Fortress
April 9th, 2008, 08:40 PM
If you are resting for a meet, then taper time is the worst!

Working hard at practice makes you hungry, but the few weeks during taper makes me ravenous. I really have to watch the calorie intake. I can't explain it.:frustrated:

Well, that makes no sense and is positively evil. I did a measly 2300 yards today with only 8 fast 25s, resenting it the whole time. And for my restraint, I am starving to death?!

Chris Stevenson
April 9th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Well, that makes no sense and is positively evil. I did a measly 2300 yards today with only 8 fast 25s, resenting it the whole time. And for my restraint, I am starving to death?!

I always gain some weight during taper time. Appetite stays the same or even increases while the yardage goes down. I should eat less but I don't want to feel weak. (Even worse, I crave sweets more than usual too.)

But only a couple more days for me...! :thhbbb:

Paul Smith
April 9th, 2008, 09:54 PM
I always gain some weight during taper time. Appetite stays the same or even increases while the yardage goes down. I should eat less but I don't want to feel weak. (Even worse, I crave sweets more than usual too.)

But only a couple more days for me...! :thhbbb:

Chris...were really getting a bit worried here...Geek hanging out in the chicks locker room we understand...but seriously...when you start talking about bloating and eating sweets its time to get out bro...same for the rest of you (so called) guys.

The Fortress
April 9th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Chris...were really getting a bit worried here...Geek hanging out in the chicks locker room we understand...but seriously...when you start talking about bloating and eating sweets its time to get out bro...same for the rest of you (so called) guys.

Uh, didn't I just see you mentioning AF on another thread? That can only mean you've been carefully perusing this thread.

Chris is obviously much more secure in his masculinity.

ALM
April 10th, 2008, 12:08 AM
Fort

Could it also be that your eating for two??? There is a little rumour on another thread that someone is........I do beleive your name was mentioned as a possibility???

Hmmm, she seems to be ignoring this comment... ;)

blainesapprentice
April 10th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Hmmm, she seems to be ignoring this comment... ;)

I didn't want to be the one to point that out haha.:agree:

Chris Stevenson
April 10th, 2008, 08:11 AM

Point taken...after this meet I'll be belching and scratching with the best of them.

The Fortress
April 10th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Fort

What?! How could I miss this obviously impugning comment?! :doh:

No, I'm apparently just getting "thicker" because my spouse wants to avoid sex during my taper. Why? Who knows.

No more babies. I am done with that gig. Impossible. I'm blaming the hunger pains on taper and swimming and hormones. Really, you can accurately blame almost anything on hormones.

Smith: This does not violate your so-called ban. I had to defend myself from libelous insinuations!!

K-Stew
April 10th, 2008, 09:47 AM
What?! How could I miss this obviously impugning comment?! :doh:

No, I'm apparently just getting "thicker" because my spouse wants to avoid sex during my taper. Why? Who knows.

No more babies. I am done with that gig. Impossible. I'm blaming the hunger pains on taper and swimming and hormones. Really, you can accurately blame almost anything on hormones.

Smith: This does not violate your so-called ban. I had to defend myself from libelous insinuations!!

Thanks for clearing that up....I was very concerned we might lose a Sunday crawler. :wine:

knelson
April 10th, 2008, 10:36 AM
No, I'm apparently just getting "thicker" because my spouse wants to avoid sex during my taper.

I didn't realize sex was good for weight loss!

K-Stew
April 10th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I didn't realize sex was good for weight loss!

Of course it is...As long as it takes longer than your 1000 freestyle time. It's not really good to be a sprinter in this event...:2cents:

Chris Stevenson
April 10th, 2008, 01:33 PM
It's not really good to be a sprinter in this event...:2cents:

I'm afraid the sprinter mentality pervades all aspects of their sad, sorry lives.:bolt:

Peter Cruise
April 10th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Not to mention the constant danger for the sprinter of the false start and immediate disqualification for the event...

Karen Duggan
April 10th, 2008, 06:12 PM
It is not Fort. I can verify that, as the evil-doer beginning the rumor. (where is the evil smiley icon?) :agree:

And Fort, I was told we just had to keep children until they were 12, or not cute anymore. You mean, gasp!, I'll have to raise teenagers?! No fair. Nobody told me. They're NOT going back where they came from. Ebay?

:drink:

The Fortress
April 10th, 2008, 06:39 PM
Not to mention the constant danger for the sprinter of the false start and immediate disqualification for the event...

I wonder what the divorce rate is for sprinters?

Karen, I have a guess myself!

Yes, you are forced to keep them after 12. By then, they'll each be doing 3 sports in 25 different locations, you'll have quit teaching because you will be a professional chauffeur, and you still won't be sleeping because you'll have to get up at 4:00 am to take them to practice. Your life will revolve even more around buying food, preparing food, cleaning up after food, and listening to complaints that there is never enough food. Worse yet, you have to teach them to DRIVE. And that is freakin scary.

The Fortress
April 10th, 2008, 07:35 PM
It is not Fort. I can verify that, as the evil-doer beginning the rumor. (where is the evil smiley icon?)

I guessed right!!!! I still have my Master Masquerade Ball touch. :banana:

3strokes
April 10th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Of course it is...As long as it takes longer than your 1000 freestyle time. It's not really good to be a sprinter in this event...:2cents:

Unless you can do repeats on .............. what?

The Fortress
April 14th, 2008, 10:03 PM
Point taken...after this meet I'll be belching and scratching with the best of them.

I didn't hear even one belch.

A certain person yelled at me, however, for making suit "adjustments" on deck ...

When I was in the women's locker room this weekend, there was, as usual, someone in the handicapped stall groaning and moaning over suit issues big time. When she emerged, she was in a recordbreaker tank! How hard can that be to get on?!?!

On the constant hunger topic, I spoke to another swimmer over the weekend with the same problem. Always eating late at night, waking up hungry. And he (yes, he) is rather ripped. Just works out like crazy. He resorts to Hoodia to quell hunger pains. Isn't that one of those diet pills?

Ripple
April 15th, 2008, 07:41 AM
...He resorts to Hoodia to quell hunger pains. Isn't that one of those diet pills?

It's a cactus-type plant from South Africa. Supposedly the bushmen chewed on it for centuries to quell hunger pangs when food was scarce.