PDA

View Full Version : What's the Minimum Depth Required to Do a Flip Turn?

TomBrooklyn
October 20th, 2007, 09:10 PM
What's the minimum recommended depth of water to do a flip turn in? Some of the pools I swim in are only 3 to 4 feet deep.

nyswimmer
October 20th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Well, I've done flip turns in 3 1/2 foot deep pool so it can be done. But I was uncomfortably close to the pool bottom. I suppose it's just a matter of how tightly you tuck.

scyfreestyler
October 20th, 2007, 10:07 PM
3-4 is plenty.

pwolf66
October 21st, 2007, 10:16 AM
I've competed at pools that are 2.5 deep. Nothing like bottom rash on your chest :cry:. But for an experienced swimmer, 3 feet should be the minimum.

Paul

ensignada
October 21st, 2007, 05:39 PM
I've competed at pools that are 2.5 deep. Nothing like bottom rash on your chest :cry:. But for an experienced swimmer, 3 feet should be the minimum.

Paul

For an inexperienced swimmer...5 feet (voice of inexperience here :notworking:)

onefish
October 21st, 2007, 06:37 PM
Watch your heels,

When I'm in a shallow end I tend to alter my "geometry" (if you can call it that!) and it takes a while to judge the distance correctly. :doh:

DV

FindingMyInnerFish
October 21st, 2007, 06:42 PM
For some of us... ten feet, and even that doesn't seem like enough. :frustrated:

I got the hang of flip turns at one point, though never felt safe doing them in the shallow end... still, it was something. Then, one day when I started one in the deep end, somehow the flip went wrong and I found myself diving down along the wall, getting an awful cramp and coming up (don't ask me how) one lane over. Too embarrassing! After that, I managed a few more flip turns but not many more... kept tensing up when I approached the wall, so I couldn't complete the flip. Eventually, I'll get back to them, but that experience took the wind out of my sails for a LONG time!

notsofast
October 21st, 2007, 08:06 PM
goswim.tv has a really good series on how to learn flip turns. Click on 'drill of the week', then scroll down to May 2007.

geochuck
October 21st, 2007, 09:01 PM
I like it 3.5 or deeper.

But like to practice the flip turns in a 2.5 ft deep pool. This way you can get your turn tighter and faster.

swimmieAvsFan
October 22nd, 2007, 09:03 AM
the LCM pool i grew up practicing in (summers only) was only about 2 feet deep at the turn end. that made for interesting practices! you definitely had to be creative with how you did your turns, sometimes having to decide if it was better to bounce your head off the bottom or knee yourself in the face... :shakeshead:
but we did all have nice tight turns by the end of the summer!

TomBrooklyn
October 22nd, 2007, 10:39 AM
the LCM pool i grew up practicing in was only about 2 feet deep at the turn end....having to decide if it was better to bounce your head off the bottom or knee yourself in the face... :shakeshead:
but we did all have nice tight turns by the end of the summer!
Wow, that makes my pools look good now. I was wondering about the banging of the head.

It's doesn't seem like a a very good idea to knock yourself unconscious underwater--especially since in the Bally pools I swim in, the lifeguards are usually not sitting in the lifeguard chair--they are sitting against some wall reading a magazine or doing their homework. Mitigating that to some degree is that there is often at least three people in the 50' lanes.

At the NYC pools I swim in the lifeguards are required to maintain vigilence, but I wonder how well they can see you 50 meters away if you're on the bottom. I think I'll put on my orange swim cap before I start practicing. Maybe I'll put a little padding under the cap too, and give the guards a heads up if I'm going to be practicing flip turns.

islandsox
October 22nd, 2007, 10:50 AM
Wow, that makes my pools look good now. I was wondering about the banging of the head.

It's doesn't seem like a a very good idea to knock yourself unconscious underwater--especially since in the Bally pools I swim in, the lifeguards are usually not sitting in the lifeguard chair--they are sitting against some wall reading a magazine or doing their homework. Mitigating that to some degree is that there is often at least three people in the 50' lanes.

Wow, I had never seen the words Bally pools and lifeguards in the same sentence before. I'm amazed after my experience with Bally pools in Texas; no lifeguard, water was 96 degrees--couldn't swim there.

I guess I can flip turn about anywhere; after you've done a ka-zillion of them, shallow or deep, it just becomes normal after awhile. If you can flip turn in a kiddy pool, you are a contortionist and can flip turn anywhere. I prefer 3 feet of water, but less is okay too.

donna

SwimStud
October 22nd, 2007, 10:55 AM
Hehe Donna I clip the bottom with my butt occasionally, in the shallow end but that just causes me to laugh.

I have an orange swmcap too, but I never wear my it when pracitsing.

The Fortress
October 22nd, 2007, 11:10 AM
I have an orange swmcap to, but I never wear my it when pracitsing.

I'm good sticking with black.