PDA

View Full Version : Breaststroke and thunder thighs.

Gerdrick
October 22nd, 2007, 12:39 AM
OK, my pants fit fine at the waist and hips, but too tight at the thigh area.
Is it possible that my breaststroke made my thighs bigger? If so, how do I make them smaller (change my technique somehow?) and prevent it from happening in the future? Or is it a “Breaststroke curse”? :help:
Thanks.

TomBrooklyn
October 22nd, 2007, 03:43 AM
If your breaststroke makes your thighs bigger with muscle, than keep doing it. If your talking fat, then eat less.

dorothyrde
October 22nd, 2007, 06:04 AM
It is possible that you have built up the muscle, but not gotten rid of the layer of fat on top, which would make them bigger. Also, I know in weightlifting, after a good hard work-out, the area will swell and be bigger, and this can be for a period of time. Then it leans out, probably the fat shrinking on top of the muscle.

You can add other forms of exercise to help your legs, pilates, yoga, high rep, low weight weight might help.

swimshark
October 22nd, 2007, 07:07 AM
Welcome to breast stroke thighs. It's a curse I've had most of my life. I do lift weights but that is to trim the fat that is on there. 95% of my thighs are muscle, though. Makes it tough to find suits that will go over the thighs and yet fit snug once on the body. Pants are an issue too. Sorry, not good new, I know.

Alison

cathlaur
October 22nd, 2007, 08:04 AM
YIKES

I dont have that problem yet drats lol. I still have a stomach so my pants are droopy in the legs and hips and I need a bigger size for my tummy. Though it is getting leaner so that is a good thing.

I am more worried about my large shoulders getting bigger lol

Katie

Gerdrick
October 22nd, 2007, 09:59 AM
I don't really have fat there (I wish I had, them I could fix the problem), even when I was doing ballet you could see my muscles stick out... I don't like it. But I guess since I love breaststroke I have to learn to live with it...and wear more skirts! :rofl:

I don't worry too much about my shoulders, I would like for them to get a bit bigger....:banana:

Gerdrick
October 22nd, 2007, 10:00 AM
then eat less.

Any less and I would have to totally stop eating.....:rofl:

SwimStud
October 22nd, 2007, 10:02 AM
I don't really have fat there (I wish I had, them I could fix the problem), even when I was doing ballet you could see my muscles stick out... I don't like it. But I guess since I love breaststroke I have to learn to live with it...and wear more skirts! :rofl:

I don't worry too much about my shoulders, I would like for them to get a bit bigger....:banana:

Catherine-Anna I had this issue when I lifted weights seriously. I could not wear my correct waist size 501's b/c of my thighs.

I doubt "thunder thighs" is an appropriate name for anyone who is in decent shape as a swimmer. Firm and toned legs are attractive even if they feel "huge" to you. I doubt they really look it to any guys etc.

christineL
October 22nd, 2007, 10:07 AM
:confused: From what I understand, dedicated exercise to remove certain spot will not make much difference. So, if I continue to exercise, fats from all over will be burned at "even" rate. Eventually, the fats from certain spot will be gone along with the fats from where you don't want it removed! :o My boobs is now a A not C. :( I'm still waiting for my thigh to show the fruit of my work. If it is not gone by then, you can always go for liposuction.

Muscles - I don't care if it is bigger in one area over the other. I prefer muscles over fat. :D

Gerdrick
October 22nd, 2007, 11:46 AM
SwimStud (http://forums.usms.org/member.php?u=4899)
Thanks. I don't get any complains from my husband :) ...but pants not fitting my legs really freaked me out. But I see what you mean, so thank you!

I prefer muscles over fat. :D
You're right! I guess I shouldn't complain. Just was wondering if all breaststrokers have bigger legs on the top... :coffee:

Midas
October 22nd, 2007, 11:52 AM
I was a breaststroker growing up and I had a very strong kick and very large thigh muscles. They were in no way fat but they were big. Unfortunately, they've never gone away, despite taking 14 years "off" from swimming. They make my calves look funny/tiny and my rear look a little big.

If you want to avoid this fate, stay away from the abducter/adducter (I'm sure I'm spelling those wrong) machines or at least go light weight/heavy reps. I credit those machines with much of my leg strength.

Gerdrick
October 22nd, 2007, 11:53 AM
If you want to avoid this fate, stay away from the abducter/adducter (I'm sure I'm spelling those wrong) machines or at least go light weight/heavy reps. I credit those machines with much of my leg strength.

Oh no! Those are my favorite machines!!!! :(

TomBrooklyn
October 22nd, 2007, 12:20 PM
Is this your problem? http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/TomBrooklyn/34W2T2painted.jpg

If so, don't worry about it. Wear loose clothing. It's more demure and most guys prefer women they really care about to be demure; although they usually like women they don't really care about to dress provacatively.

(Face blanked because I didn't get permission to use the pic.)

SwimStud
October 22nd, 2007, 12:26 PM
SwimStud (http://forums.usms.org/member.php?u=4899)
Thanks. I don't get any complains from my husband :) ...but pants not fitting my legs really freaked me out. But I see what you mean, so thank you!

You're right! I guess I shouldn't complain. Just was wondering if all breaststrokers have bigger legs on the top... :coffee:

I haven't tried puting on 501's for a while. They were never wactly baggy on my legs anyhow...I should try them on in a shop and report my finding.
I'm sure your legs are very shapely, and Mr Gerdrick is happy :)

Gerdrick
October 22nd, 2007, 12:38 PM
Is this your problem? http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y23/TomBrooklyn/34W2T2painted.jpg

Wow!!! No, I am not THAT shapely! :) Nice Photoshop work around the hips... :laugh2:

TomBrooklyn
October 22nd, 2007, 12:44 PM
:) Nice Photoshop work around the hips... :laugh2: Hi Gerdrick,
Instant aerobics. :banana: Much easier than actually excercising. Happy to help. :woot:
=TBk

SwimStud
October 22nd, 2007, 12:48 PM
If so, don't worry about it. Wear loose clothing. It's more demure and most guys prefer women they really care about to be demure;

hmmm perhaps not. Real men actually don't mind a woman that has a mind of her own...but feel free to stay fi-paces ahead of yours when you walk outside. I'm sure Mrs Brooklyn knows her place...or it's a "sleep wid da fishes" fer har! Oh, ey! *adjust*

cathlaur
October 22nd, 2007, 12:51 PM
Okay Tom

I did laugh when I saw that photo. I am sure Catherine (Gerdrick) now realizes she does not have a problem.

I just need to get rid of this gut. I know it takes time grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Katie

Gerdrick
October 22nd, 2007, 12:55 PM
although they usually like women they don't really care about to dress provacatively.

I have to disagree. My husband would love for me to "dress provocatively", but it's me that is not all into that... ;)
And I am sure he really cares about me!!! :D

Gerdrick
October 22nd, 2007, 12:59 PM
I just need to get rid of this gut. I know it takes time grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Katie
I am with you on that one, would be nice to take off a couple of inches. Maybe you and I should come up with some kind of plan..... :wiggle:

ensignada
October 22nd, 2007, 01:02 PM
I don't get any complains from my husband :) ...but pants not fitting my legs really freaked me out.

Likewise, my husband seems to like the fitter, leaner, stronger me. I do too, and let's face it: that's what's most important. :groovy:

TomBrooklyn
October 22nd, 2007, 01:07 PM
never mind. off topic

cathlaur
October 22nd, 2007, 04:17 PM
Catherine

Sounds good to me. I am losing in my back and hips but not the stomach yet. I guess I just have to keep at it. I never give myself time to do anything as I want it now. LOL NOT a very patient person. I am just starting my 7th week back at swimming so I need to juse be patient.

Though todays workout was tough and I can feel it in my legs and stomach a bit.

If you have any good ideas let me know

Barb yes hubby liking you and you liking yourself is all that matters. My hubby is great about how I look. I am my own worse enemy. SIGH

Katie

Ripple
October 22nd, 2007, 08:14 PM
:confused:... If it is not gone by then, you can always go for liposuction...

NOOO.... don't do it!! Clothes can be taken to a tailer and altered to fit you. Much easier, cheaper and safer than cutting up your body to fit the clothes. Clothes are just pieces of cloth stitched together and sizes are arbritrary numbers. Plus, commercial clothing patterns are not designed on real human beings, but on dress forms. Very few human beings in the universe resemble a size 6 Wolf dress form.

Allen Stark
October 22nd, 2007, 09:15 PM
Clothes are made for average people(or anorexic waifs.) Be proud of your muscles,you are a breaststroker,the highest lifeform in the universe:rofl::rofl:.

Gerdrick
October 23rd, 2007, 12:08 AM
Clothes are made for average people(or anorexic waifs.) Be proud of your muscles,you are a breaststroker,the highest lifeform in the universe:rofl::rofl:.

Thanks!!! That really helps!!!!! :applaud:

cathlaur
October 23rd, 2007, 10:54 AM
We did breast stroke drills today. OUCH is all I have to say. I will never be good at breast stroke but I would like to get better. My legs are sore

Katie

2fish&1whale
October 23rd, 2007, 12:45 PM
I happen to be a Breast stroke only swimmer and used to do upper body weight workouts as well. Until my anual exam that is! My Dr. had such a difficult time doing a proper breast exam because I had so much muscle build up over my chest and I was advised to stop lifting weights. But I have continued to swim the breast stroke for the past year, 5X week and was told at my recent check up that there is a lot less hard muscle. So maybe the same applies to the legs. If you are swimming a lot of breaststroke, you might wan't to cut back on weight work outs for the legs. Vary your swims with the bike or running, just to hit different parts of the legs- and butt! :mooning:

Gerdrick
October 23rd, 2007, 01:11 PM
We did breast stroke drills today. OUCH is all I have to say. I will never be good at breast stroke but I would like to get better. My legs are sore

Katie

Please do tell more!!!:bow:

Gerdrick
October 23rd, 2007, 01:14 PM
I happen to be a Breast stroke only swimmer and used to do upper body weight workouts as well. Until my anual exam that is! My Dr. had such a difficult time doing a proper breast exam because I had so much muscle build up over my chest and I was advised to stop lifting weights. But I have continued to swim the breast stroke for the past year, 5X week and was told at my recent check up that there is a lot less hard muscle. So maybe the same applies to the legs. If you are swimming a lot of breaststroke, you might wan't to cut back on weight work outs for the legs. Vary your swims with the bike or running, just to hit different parts of the legs- and butt! :mooning:

I am not really doing anything special for my upper body, just a lot of pulls (free and breast), but I do work more on my lower body - mostly ballet and a little bit of weights..... I wonder if that's the problem.....:shakeshead: Maybe I just should swim and not do weights at all? I can't do running due to bad back, but maybe I'll try biking.

cathlaur
October 23rd, 2007, 01:27 PM
Lets see

We had to put the pullbouy at our ankles then swim 3 x 50 pulling with one arem ( the other at top of head straight out) then alternate each arm. Concentrating on our pull and getting our shoulder out of the water.

Then 3 x 50 regular arms with the pullbouy at our ankles.

Then 3 x 50 breast stroke kick with our arms down by our side

The 3 x 50 regular breast stroke. I really think it made a difference with my pull. I was not pulling enough.

It was interesting and I enjoyed it.

Katie

Allen Stark
October 23rd, 2007, 01:46 PM
2fish,it has been many years since I was in medical school or did beast exams so I may be missing something,but I can't imagine how muscle mass or tone would interfere with the exam. The breast is over the muscle.I think I'd recommend getting a doctor with more experience with athletic women instead of changing my workout. I know a standard selling point for weight training for women is that building up the pecs enhances the breasts' prominence.

swimshark
October 23rd, 2007, 02:50 PM
I am not really doing anything special for my upper body, just a lot of pulls (free and breast), but I do work more on my lover body - mostly ballet and a little bit of weights..... I wonder if that's the problem.....:shakeshead: Maybe I just should swim and not do weights at all? I can't do running due to bad back, but maybe I'll try biking.

I did ballet for years before going back to swimmming, this was about 7 years ago. My thighs didn't look this "thick" with ballet so I'd say stick to it. You'll get muscle definition that you don't get in swimming and it's good exercise.

Alison

Gerdrick
October 23rd, 2007, 03:01 PM
We had to put the pullbouy at our ankles then swim 3 x 50 pulling with one arem ( the other at top of head straight out) then alternate each arm.

It's all breaststroke, right?

cathlaur
October 23rd, 2007, 03:14 PM
Oh yeah all breast stroke. It was really tough.

Katie

Gerdrick
October 23rd, 2007, 03:19 PM
Oh yeah all breast stroke. It was really tough.

Katie

WOW! I should try that next time I am in the pool!!! Thanks!!!

cathlaur
October 23rd, 2007, 03:28 PM
Have fun LOL. My arms are sore and so are my abs. LOL

It is all good though

Katie

swimshark
October 23rd, 2007, 03:43 PM
Have fun LOL. My arms are sore and so are my abs. LOL

It is all good though

Katie

This morning was "your stroke" day. We did 6x200. The odd's were 50 kick, 50 drill, 100 full swim of your stroke. Evens we're 200 all swim. Doing 1200 of breast was not fun.

Katie, if you want to work on your abs, try kicking fly on your back.

Alison

2fish&1whale
October 23rd, 2007, 03:50 PM
2fish,it has been many years since I was in medical school or did beast exams so I may be missing something,but I can't imagine how muscle mass or tone would interfere with the exam. The breast is over the muscle.I think I'd recommend getting a doctor with more experience with athletic women instead of changing my workout. I know a standard selling point for weight training for women is that building up the pecs enhances the breasts' prominence.
Yeah, I know, it confused me initialy as well. But my "girls" are pretty big(DD) and I have a family history of cancer, so she checks the whole area around as well and it was getting difficult to feel the tissue around the breast. Honestly, I was getting a bit concerned that my pecs had gotten so big. I have a tendency to bulk up fast and I had used lighter weights and done lots of repetitions, plus pilates, but combined with the swimming I think I overdid it. Since I switched to swimming only I have not regretted it, it's just boring doing the same thing over and over!
One thing I'm thinking about adding to my breast stroke workouts, is to get flippers and do blocks of kicking. I can't for the life of me go forward doing the flutter kick so even when I do laps of kicking I do the breast stroke kick. I thought maybe the flippers will help me go in the right direction......

swimshark
October 23rd, 2007, 04:20 PM
One thing I'm thinking about adding to my breast stroke workouts, is to get flippers and do blocks of kicking. I can't for the life of me go forward doing the flutter kick so even when I do laps of kicking I do the breast stroke kick. I thought maybe the flippers will help me go in the right direction......

Breaststroke fins? Be careful. They can wreck the knees if not used properly or used too much. I know kids who are in their teens that now have knee issues thanks to those fins. I borrow some from a team mate and love using them but since I had knee surgery 8 years ago, I am careful to not use them too much.

Alison

2fish&1whale
October 23rd, 2007, 05:31 PM
Breaststroke fins? Be careful. They can wreck the knees if not used properly or used too much. I know kids who are in their teens that now have knee issues thanks to those fins. I borrow some from a team mate and love using them but since I had knee surgery 8 years ago, I am careful to not use them too much.

Alison
No, not the breast stroke ones...the last thing I need to work on is my kick there.......I was thinking regular zoomers, just to be able to do a different kick ......Sorry to hear about the busted knees,at one time I had considered getting the special BS fins, but came up with a better way of improving my BS kick....I've got arthritis in both my knee and ankle and would hate to make it worse.....

stussy96
October 23rd, 2007, 06:06 PM

If so, don't worry about it. Wear loose clothing. It's more demure and most guys prefer women they really care about to be demure; although they usually like women they don't really care about to dress provacatively.

(Face blanked because I didn't get permission to use the pic.)

Tom Brooklyn, that is a picture of me, how dare you. :cry:

Ok just kidding, that's gross.

Is this the same person????
http://cgi.ebay.com/SEXY-SPEEDO-FITNESS-GREEN-COTTON-LYCRA-GYM-SHORTS-S_W0QQitemZ200164902584QQihZ010QQcategoryZ11555QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cathlaur
October 23rd, 2007, 06:26 PM
2 fish

We use fins sometimes and I really enjoy them. I bought the silicone ones off of kiefer. They are very comfortable. The only thing is you get the colour by foot size. I have a size 10 ladies so I got BRIGHT YELLOW FINS. Everyone in my masters group giggles. They think they suit me.

I to have arthritis. Does it feel better after your legs are stronger?

2fish very funny LOL

Katie

TomBrooklyn
October 23rd, 2007, 07:53 PM
I think I'd recommend getting a doctor with more experience
I'm not a medical professional so I didn't wan't to comment, but my immediate intuitive reaction was similar to Allen's.

2fish&1whale
October 23rd, 2007, 08:43 PM
2 fish

We use fins sometimes and I really enjoy them. I bought the silicone ones off of kiefer. They are very comfortable. The only thing is you get the colour by foot size. I have a size 10 ladies so I got BRIGHT YELLOW FINS. Everyone in my masters group giggles. They think they suit me.

I to have arthritis. Does it feel better after your legs are stronger?

2fish very funny LOL

Katie
Why not bright yellow? And did you know you can decorate them with sharpies........I guess that is more appealing if you are 12!

I guess I should just order 2-3 different types/sizes and see which ones fit best. I've sen some people at my pool who wear socks with their flippers do adjust for the size, but i just don't like the idea of wet socks.

As a matter of fact my joints have felt better since i dropped all land aerobics, so th eswimming is not agravating it.

I'm the whale, my kids are the fish......:fish2::fish2: :wiggle:

Allen Stark
October 23rd, 2007, 10:55 PM
Breaststroke pull/dolphin kick with fins is a great drill to improve your wave and also to get some breaststroke work in without straining your knees.

cathlaur
October 24th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Allen we have done that drill to. It is great.

2fish I don't have to wear socks with my fins. I even ordered them off line and I got the right size. They are great. I was working out and swimming I have had to pull back on the working out. I am only in my 7th week swimming and am up to 4 times a week. I was too sore and I really still need the recovery days. I do try to get out on my bike but that will change as the weather does.

The swimming still bothers my knees. But as I know what is wrong with them and I am not doing anymore damage I just ignore them. Of course that may not happen later on in life. I know I am going to have knee replacements but knowing I can still swim after those is very comforting.
In the meantime I need to drop some weight. It is slowly coming off so that is all good

Katie

swimshark
October 24th, 2007, 07:44 AM
No, not the breast stroke ones...the last thing I need to work on is my kick there.......I was thinking regular zoomers, just to be able to do a different kick ......Sorry to hear about the busted knees,at one time I had considered getting the special BS fins, but came up with a better way of improving my BS kick....I've got arthritis in both my knee and ankle and would hate to make it worse.....

I have the Zoomers and like them. They take some getting used to if you are used to the long fins. Get blue if your ankles aren't very flexible, red if they are.

Alison

cathlaur
October 24th, 2007, 07:48 AM
My fins are a bit shorter to. More the shape of the zoomers ( perhaps a tad longer) most of my swim club use the speedo trainers which are a little longer. They sure make you feel like you are going faster than mine. But I need the help with leg strengthening so I am sticking with mine for now. As I got used to them I forgot what the others were like.

Katie

aquaFeisty
October 24th, 2007, 08:10 AM
I was a breaststroker during my short age-group career (ages 12-14) and always had huge quads. You figure breast kicking is like doing leg extension after leg extension so it's going to build up those muscles. Even now that I do very little breast kicking, I still have large quads. I think a large part of it is genetic and related to how easily you build muscle. If you are happy with your leaner, more muscular self, that is what counts!! :)

Congrats on the continuing weight loss, Katie! I remember reading somewhere that a 10% reduction in body weight provides a 90% reduction in knee pain. Maybe it wasn't quite 90%, but it was some very high number...

cathlaur
October 24th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Carrie

Thanks for the support. Yes I have read that weightloss can be huge for helping knee problems. I still have a ways to go but it is getting better. Time will tell

Katie

Mighty Minnow
October 24th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Hey Cathlaur-
I too, had knee pain when I started swimming again about 2.5 years ago....now, most of the pain is gone, only a twinge now and then. I suspect that I had weak hamstrings and all the flutter and dolphin kicking strengthened them.
As for weight loss, I did not lose any the first 2 years, although I went down a dress size. Now I've made a concerted effort to really cut back on my calories (mainly carbs), and have slowly managed to lose almost 25 lbs since this summer. I still want to lose another 20. I had hoped my times would get faster (since there is less to drag around) but I've not seen that effect yet. I swim mainly for fitness, 3 to 4 times per week...weekdays I don't have time for more than 2500, but saturday practices usually we swim at least 4000 yards. Good luck with your swimming and the worst of the soreness will pass.

cathlaur
October 24th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Thanks mightyminnow. I am really trying to watch what I eat. Portion size is a huge thing for me. I just plain eat tooooooooo much. I am starving half the time but it is getting better.

I think that the muscles around my knees need to get stronger as well. It is good to hear from someone who has had things change for the better with regards to knee pain.

Congrats on losing 25 pounds that is awesome. I am sure you will get the last 20 off.

The inches sure are nice to

Katie