PDA

View Full Version : Argh

pwolf66
October 22nd, 2007, 05:47 PM
This is ridiculous.

So I'm cleaning out the garage on Sat in preparation for a Baby Bazaar meverything must go sales event and what do I do?? I break my middle finger on my left hand..........:doh:

Hurts like a .....well....it hurts.

So I didn't swim over the weekend and I'm gonna try practice tomorrow. The swelling has gone down quite a bit so time to see what affects I can expect this weekend. It's taped up to the index finger right now but I'm pretty sure that ain't gonna be allowed in a meet.

But c'mon, 8 days before my first meet in 19 years and I break my finger?

God, if you're trying to tell me I shouldn't swim, well, that's just not going to work.

Paul

cathlaur
October 22nd, 2007, 05:55 PM
:bighug:Paul

Ouch I bet that hurts. I am soooooooo sorry. That is tough. There is a lady in my masters group who broke her finger or fingers when her hand got tied up in a lane rope. She got a cast and swam in it regularly. She ended up using her fins most of the time though as of course she had weekened arm strength.

I am sorry about your first swim meet. There will be another one.

See cleaning your garage is EVIL

Take care

Katie

swimminlyn
October 22nd, 2007, 05:58 PM
Paul,
You should be ok to tape them together. Just ask the officials on there take.
At the end of a 50 free when everything had already gone wrong in the whole :29 sec I some how managed to jam my thumb and then it hyperextended. I thought for sure it was broke. I was allowed to tape it to my hand to swim my next event. It was so swollen and hurt really bad. Finished my race then went to the ER.

good luck with it. Take lots of Advil and ice before you swim. It will help with the pain.

The Fortress
October 22nd, 2007, 06:54 PM
That sucks, Paul. See what the doc says. I've swum with broken fingers, jammed swollen fingers, broken blood vessels in the foot and all that crap. Tape is allowed. Muppet has swum meets with a cast on. I know folks buddy taping broken toes. If it's not too painful, I wouldn't let that stop you. :woot: Besides, masters are rarely, if ever, 100%. Something always comes up: sick, injured, training interrupted, food poisoning, etc. I know the timing stinks, but don't give up yet. And remember this is just a practice meet. See how you feel after some ice and advil. Although you might not want to slam the left hand into the wall too hard at the finish. Hang in there!

pwolf66
October 22nd, 2007, 06:59 PM
Pain, is well pain. There's NO way I'm not swimming Sunday. NO WAY. It's the 2nd Metacarpal that's cracked so hey, I can still bend it, it just hurts to do that. But pain is just weakness leaving the body so SISO.

Paul

pwolf66
October 22nd, 2007, 07:05 PM
See cleaning your garage is EVIL

Katie

Actually, NOT cleaning the garage for 6 years is the EVIL part. Plus who knew ONE child had soooo much stuff?????

Paul

pwolf66
October 22nd, 2007, 07:08 PM
To make matters worse, I just realized that I don't even to get to swim my first Masters meet as a 40yo as my odometer rolls over tomorrow :help:

Bugger

Paul

PS - YES, I AM feeling a little sorry for myself right now, GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT????? :mooning: :thhbbb:

Syd
October 22nd, 2007, 07:09 PM
Oh, Paul the timing is terrible. I feel for you. I was nervous the whole of last week. I kept on thinking something bad was going to happen to prevent me from going to my first meet in 24 years. I almost had a motorcycle accident. Just managed to avoid it at the last moment. My heart was pounding though and I kept berating myself for being so careless.

I really hope you can tape it up and that all goes well. As a consolation, if you get less than satisfactory times this time round, it does mean you have something to beat next time. All the best.

Syd

pwolf66
October 22nd, 2007, 07:13 PM
I really hope you can tape it up and that all goes well. As a consolation, if you get less than satisfactory times this time round, it does mean you have something to beat next time. All the best.

Syd

Nope, this is NOT going to prevent me from swimming my heart out. Nuh-uh, not gonna happen. But thanks all for your words of support.

Paul

But it does seem to be affecting my typing.

cathlaur
October 22nd, 2007, 08:27 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhh you are 41 . Just like me :groovy:a 1966 babe. Though I am older more mature woman LOL LOL

Yes one child can have a lot of stuff. I have two girls 17 months apart. WOW they can collect the crapola. GEESH

Let us know how the swim goes Sunday

Katie

Blackbeard's Peg
October 23rd, 2007, 07:10 AM
Paul, broken bones suck, but if you want to swim, you'll find a way to make it work. As fort said, I've swum with casts on my arm (both full and short arm). Don't let it drag you down.
Besides, if your times are slower because of it, by the end of the season, your time-drops will be even more impressive! :groovy:
get well soon.:cane:

swimshark
October 23rd, 2007, 07:38 AM
Sorry to hear about the finger Paul. I hope it gets a bit better for this weekend. Yes, you can tape it. I swam a meet with a taped finger. The official just asked me if I had a medical reason and I said I did. That was it.

By the way, you automatically age up in SCM anyway. It's your age as of 12-31-07.

Good luck this weekend.

Alison

Leonard Jansen
October 23rd, 2007, 10:56 AM
When you tape it, be sure to use a good quality duct tape and not the usual white medical tape. It is more waterproof and is it far more manly looking.

"Oh, this? Yeah, a shark bit it nearly off the other week when I was training for the Channel. So I just poured some whiskey on it, sewed it up with some fishing monofilament and then put this special tape on it that we used to use when I was a CIA operative. Jumped back in, punched the shark in the nose and finished the workout. He followed me like a dog after that. The usual."

-LBJ