PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty

shark
October 23rd, 2007, 10:07 AM
Stuck in Jury Duty for two weeks. Second day of sitting around waiting to be chosen from a Jury Pool. I do not know how anyone can sit in a cubby all day long and then be asked to make a serious decision about someone elses fate. Especially after a 15 mile drive that took an hour and a half due to traffic and heavy rain.

I would rather pull out all of my teeth. I know, it is my civic duty.

cathlaur
October 23rd, 2007, 10:41 AM
Yikes

That does not sound fun at all. Thankfully my job exempts me from ever having to do Jury Duty.

I hope it goes quickly for you.

Katie

msgrupp
October 24th, 2007, 08:48 AM
My county has a one-day, one trial system. You spend one day at the courthouse and if you're not picked for a panel--you're home free (for at least a year).

First two times--I was out by 2:30-3pm with not being picked for a jury panel (got alot of reading done). Third time--not so lucky---picked for a panel and had to spend 2 full days at the courthouse (for a lousy $9.50 a day plus mileage). Luckily we came to a decision or it would have been a THIRD day. At least I got a totally free lunch on the 2nd day as we deliberated. The first day--lunch was on us.

shark
October 24th, 2007, 09:37 AM
Yesterday, spent 6 hours listening to Prosecuting Attorney ask questions of jurors in a process called Voir Dir? I was one of 24 being questioned for a prospective jury. I was not selected. Back to the Jury Pool. Waiting, once again. Luckily, I have this nice, very slow turn of the century computer to use.

Leonard Jansen
October 24th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I've often thought that those programs that "scare kids straight" are redundant with the jury system. Those kids should be made to sit in on jury deliberations and see the yo-yo's who have your fate in their hands. Some of the reasoning and decisions I've been in on were terrifying. I'd be afraid to contest a parking ticket in front of a jury for fear I'd get the death penalty.

-LBJ

ensignada
October 24th, 2007, 09:57 AM
I've often thought that those programs that "scare kids straight" are redundant with the jury system. Those kids should be made to sit in on jury deliberations and see the yo-yo's who have your fate in their hands. Some of the reasoning and decisions I've been in on were terrifying. I'd be afraid to contest a parking ticket in front of a jury for fear I'd get the death penalty.

-LBJ

:lmao: and so true.

Slowswim
October 30th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Brian:
Thanks for doing your civic duty. :cheerleader:

I know too many people who try everything and anything to get out of Jury Duty.

Got Boost
October 30th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I once made it into the jury box for the questioning. I knew I would be let go because I had a degree higher than a high school diploma. I am not bashing anyone, but everyone that they kept went no farther than high school.

Swan
November 1st, 2007, 01:27 PM
Hey, at least you were in the Jury Pool!! Long or short course? <g>

Swan

nyswimmer
November 1st, 2007, 06:30 PM
I once made it into the jury box for the questioning. I knew I would be let go because I had a degree higher than a high school diploma. I am not bashing anyone, but everyone that they kept went no farther than high school.

I don't know about that. I've been on jury duty twice and I was on a trial both times and I have LAW degree. I showed them though -- I held out for aquittal and the DA told me afterwards she was counting on me as a sure vote to convict. :rofl:

shark
November 2nd, 2007, 01:19 PM
Brian:
Thanks for doing your civic duty. :cheerleader:

I appreciate it. I have been release from my duty. What a civil experience it was.

Got Boost
November 4th, 2007, 03:07 PM
I don't know about that. I've been on jury duty twice and I was on a trial both times and I have LAW degree. I showed them though -- I held out for aquittal and the DA told me afterwards she was counting on me as a sure vote to convict. :rofl:

I love it.

Got Boost