PDA

View Full Version : Stinky Towels Syndrome

SwimStud
October 23rd, 2007, 10:39 AM
Anyone have a towel that doesn't wash up nice and fresh?
I've got a swimming towel that frankly smeels terrible now, even right after the wash. It smells stagnant, Mrs Stud won't even give it to the Dog LOL.

I thought perhaps the machine isn't rinsing thoroughly but nothing else smells, clothes are fine and smell great. I'm forced to believe that it is something to do with the water at the YMCA...perhaps even after showering I am sweating chlorine or other things into the towel.

Does anyone else have this issue or any thoughts.

:rofl:

Leonard Jansen
October 23rd, 2007, 10:43 AM
If it's a white towel, bleach. If it's not, soak in Oxyclean or equivalent for a few hours.

Since I telecommute, I do most of the wash.

- (Mr Mom) LBJ

aquaFeisty
October 23rd, 2007, 10:48 AM
Did you ever leave that stinky towel in your bag overnight? It seems like once you do this a few times, the towel is done. I've killed a few towels that way over the years. It's like the bacteria/mold penetrates the fibers and then no matter what you do the smell won't go away. I'd chuck it and start using a new one.

There was a thread on wicking towels a while back:

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=5703&highlight=wicking+towel

Supposedly these towels don't get the stinky smell because they're made with silver threads. I love mine because it packs up so nice and small for swim meets and keeps drying you off no matter how close together your events are. Expensive for a towel, but a nice gift idea maybe? I got mine for Mother's Day and the hubby got one for Father's Day (since I could tell that he had total towel envy...)

Syd
October 23rd, 2007, 10:49 AM

No, I don't have this issue and none of my friends do. It just you and your unsanitary habits.:thhbbb:

On a serious note, soaking them for and hour or two in the machine (with a touch more than the usual amount of detergent) before you start the wash cycle usually helps. Just put towels and detergent into the machine. Start the cycle. When the drum is full of water, pause or switch off the machine. After an hour or two switch it on again. Fabric softners help, too.

Syd

SwimStud
October 23rd, 2007, 10:52 AM
Great ideas gang. It's only been left in bag once or twice. Though I do tend to keep one towel for the 3 swims each week and let it dry between swims...maybe it's "dead" as you say from overuse or needing to be washed between every swim...

SwimStud
October 23rd, 2007, 10:53 AM
No, I don't have this issue and none of my friends do. It just you and your unsanitary habits.:thhbbb:

I knew it was me...I'm too manly and musky for my towels I guess hehehe

Can I make a joke about a Chinese Laundry here hehe ;)

Syd
October 23rd, 2007, 11:00 AM
Can I make a joke about a Chinese Laundry here hehe ;)

I promise not to get offended as long as I can tell a British choir boy joke!:duel:

Syd

SwimStud
October 23rd, 2007, 11:26 AM
I promise not to get offended as long as I can tell a British choir boy joke!:duel:

Syd

Do share...I won't complain.

ensignada
October 23rd, 2007, 02:51 PM
I think you're making a mistake using it several time between washings. Just toss the thing into the washer after you use it. That way when it dries, it dries clean. If you don't have enough other towels to make a load, strip the beds and change the sheets. Mrs. Stud will be thrilled and you won't have any more stinky towels.

June Cleaver

swimshark
October 23rd, 2007, 02:55 PM
I'll 2nd the wicker towel. I have 2 and love them. They are especially great for meets since they dry so quickly.

Alison

aquageek
October 23rd, 2007, 03:31 PM
I hang up my towel immediately and only use once. When I had to go into an office I'd leave it over a car seat and crack the window a little bit. Things get funky quickly in a gym bag.

blainesapprentice
October 23rd, 2007, 03:35 PM
I feel so unsanitary compared with you all. I swim 6 days a week and use the same towel for probably 3weeks before washing:woot:I win!

If thats how long us girls let our towels go--I can't imagine what the boy's towel look like and smell like.

There are times when our towels will be stiff as boards when we get into the locker room in the morning--that's when we give in and ship our towels off to the laundry service--but if we do that--we often don't have a towel for the next 3 days, because they tend to lose our stuff with the basketball teams stuff.

aquageek
October 23rd, 2007, 04:10 PM
I feel so unsanitary compared with you all. I swim 6 days a week and use the same towel for probably 3weeks before washing:woot:I win!

Holy cow, now that's gross, you definitely win. When you break out into a case of full-on total-body athlete's foot, maybe you'll now know why.

SwimStud
October 23rd, 2007, 04:19 PM
Well Maybe I'll continue with the 3 uses and wash routine....then toss the towel out after a few months...save on the laundry. Mrs Stud won't be happy if I start adding 3 towels a week to the laundry...

jim clemmons
October 23rd, 2007, 04:21 PM
Once you let mildew get started, it's all over but the smell.

I use two towels. One on day 1 - after using, it's hung out to dry for a full day. Day two use the other, hang out to dry while using towel number one on day three, repeat towel 1. You can go weeks on end without washing as long as they dry out thoroughly between uses (and you don't stand on 'em!).

swimminlyn
October 23rd, 2007, 04:23 PM
Now that is pretty gross. I take 3 towels with me to meets. 2 for on deck and 1 for after I swim. I swim 5-6 days a week and I use a different towel everyday. Just the thought of using the same one twice grosses me out.

TomBrooklyn
October 23rd, 2007, 05:31 PM
I'd chuck it
Old towels are good for washing-drying/waxing vehicles.

ALM
October 23rd, 2007, 06:01 PM
Old towels are good for washing-drying/waxing vehicles.

Or for donating to your local animal shelter. They always need towels for doggie-bathing.

Anna Lea

SwimStud
October 23rd, 2007, 09:52 PM
Now that is pretty gross. I take 3 towels with me to meets. 2 for on deck and 1 for after I swim. I swim 5-6 days a week and I use a different towel everyday. Just the thought of using the same one twice grosses me out.

Hey Lady! Thanks for making me feel like I have a cleanliness issue:thhbbb:;)

heheh It's not like I crawled across a pig farm and wiped down...Iv'e ben in bleached water for 90 minutes, then showere off for anothe 10-15...I am sure I am quite clean and the towel is drying only water...

I don't grab a fresh towel every time I shave or shower at home...why is it so gross?

blainesapprentice
October 23rd, 2007, 11:08 PM
I can't see using a different towel every day, or every other day--I mean yeah my situation is a bit extreme--but it's not like drying off at the pool is my last hope for cleanliness for the day--i shower at the pool--so im cleaner than if I had just jumped out of the pool, it drys hanging up every night, and I shower again and use a different towel back at my apartment 15 minutes later....

I bring 3 wicking towels with me to swim meets--I hate wet towels, and I really hate terry towels at meets--because they do smell and retain so much water.

ensignada
October 23rd, 2007, 11:14 PM
Well Maybe I'll continue with the 3 uses and wash routine....then toss the towel out after a few months...save on the laundry. Mrs Stud won't be happy if I start adding 3 towels a week to the laundry...

She won't mind if you're the one doing the laundry.

Really. It's not rocket science! :p

Between my daughter and me, I'm doing a load of swim towels at least twice a week. I like my clean and fluffy, thank you very much.

SwimStud
October 23rd, 2007, 11:45 PM
She won't mind if you're the one doing the laundry.

Really. It's not rocket science! :p

Between my daughter and me, I'm doing a load of swim towels at least twice a week. I like my clean and fluffy, thank you very much.

I said I wanted idiot bins in the laundry room separate bins for separate wash cycles...it will take 2 minutes to start a cycle. Mrs Stud wants to wait until the room is finished...

scyfreestyler
October 24th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Swim towels are single use for us. Inevitably they wind up touching the ground or the benches and Lord only knows what sorts of crud they pick up in that time.

Sonic Swimmer78
October 24th, 2007, 12:34 PM
SCYFreestyler, you're right about grime getting picked up by towels.

As for the whole stinky towel issue?? LOL!! I was laughing while reading this whole thread, and while it's been a year since I haven't swam [with life and school taking over and gaining some weight in the process] I will say that the best way to prevent "Stinky Towel" is to avoid leaving it in your swim-bag, no matter how tiring sets can be. There's no excuse. Usually, I take mine out of the bag and drip dry on the shower's curtain rod. I wash my towels weekly, so they smell fresh and are constantly clean. However, if your towel smells up to high heaven, it's time to replace it and discard the ill-smelling towel. There's nothing worse than a smelly Masters Swimmer.

SwimStud
October 24th, 2007, 12:37 PM
SCYFreestyler, you're right about grime getting picked up by towels.

As for the whole stinky towel issue?? LOL!! I was laughing while reading this whole thread, and while it's been a year since I haven't swam [with life and school taking over and gaining some weight in the process] I will say that the best way to prevent "Stinky Towel" is to avoid leaving it in your swim-bag, no matter how tiring sets can be. There's no excuse. Usually, I take mine out of the bag and drip dry on the shower's curtain rod. I wash my towels weekly, so they smell fresh and are constantly clean. However, if your towel smells up to high heaven, it's time to replace it and discard the ill-smelling towel. There's nothing worse than a smelly Masters Swimmer.

OOOOOOOOOOOH, for the love of Wilkie! I take my towel out as soon as I get home. Why does everyone insist on blaming that for the smell!

;)

Hehe this towel is bypassing rover :rofl:

Sonic Swimmer78
October 24th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I love this thread! It amuses me.

SwimStud
October 24th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I love this thread! It amuses me.

I just got word from my towel, it is going to enter itself into masters swimming...it says since it has already sprouted arm and legs, that it figures it can give Geek a run for his money!

aquageek
October 24th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I just got word from my towel, it is going to enter itself into masters swimming...it says since it has already sprouted arm and legs, that it figures it can give Geek a run for his money!

Well, at least something that is a part of you could give me a real race.

some_girl
October 24th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Swim towels are single use for us. Inevitably they wind up touching the ground or the benches and Lord only knows what sorts of crud they pick up in that time.

That's a little extreme. Do you wrap yourself in saran every time you go outside, too?

scyfreestyler
October 24th, 2007, 01:58 PM
That's a little extreme. Do you wrap yourself in saran every time you go outside, too?

I could say something....

No I don't wrap myself up to go outside. Your comparison is completely absurd (but that is to be expected I suppose).

aquageek
October 24th, 2007, 02:05 PM

Most people I swim with change towels every practice. No one I know wears saran wrap. Get an extreme case of athlete's foot, or worse, and maybe you'll change your mind on that.

scyfreestyler
October 24th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I should add that I often dry my feet with said towel before putting my flops or shoes on. Using this towel again would be like rolling around on the locker room floor. No thanks.

SwimStud
October 24th, 2007, 02:12 PM
I should add that I often dry my feet with said towel before putting my flops or shoes on. Using this towel again would be like rolling around on the locker room floor. No thanks.

I normally go to change right after the guy has bleached the floor..and boy do they bleach.

jim clemmons
October 24th, 2007, 02:14 PM

Absolutely. Once it hits the floor or if I have to use it on my feet, it's toast. I usually avoid using it for my feet by using paper towels instead.

SwimStud
October 24th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Absolutely. Once it hits the floor or if I have to use it on my feet, it's toast. I usually avoid using it for my feet by using paper towels instead.

I wear flip flops and keep the towel.

cathlaur
October 24th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Ohhhhhhhh I wash my towel after every swim as well. I figure with the water I am saving by showering at the pool 4 times a week, to have a clean towel daily is nothing.

No saran wrap here either. That would be one big box of saran to cover this body:lmao:

Katie

some_girl
October 24th, 2007, 04:35 PM
I could say something....

No I don't wrap myself up to go outside. Your comparison is completely absurd (but that is to be expected I suppose).

Do you know what hyperbole is? Or is it dirt that makes one smart?

scyfreestyler
October 24th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Do you know what hyperbole is? Or is it dirt that makes one smart?

What is this, 20 questions?

jim clemmons
October 24th, 2007, 04:40 PM
What is this, 20 questions?

The way I count, that makes two. Eighteen to go - maybe.

scyfreestyler
October 24th, 2007, 04:42 PM
The way I count, that makes two. Eighteen to go - maybe.

There's a third a few posts up. These interviews take time you know.

Blackbeard's Peg
October 24th, 2007, 10:26 PM
i have three towels i rotate between. rotations are usually two to three weeks long, but with (these days) two days of swimming a week, they are aired out and hang out for a few days. When they get pretty stank is when I toss them in the wash. i usually have two towels for a meet (plus chamois), and with the amount of water that ends up in them, they get dried out and then sent to the washer for some treatment w/ Tide.

as for saran wrap, i only use that when i dont have a...
err...
when i run out of wax paper to wrap my leftover food.
:dedhorse:

SwimStud
October 24th, 2007, 10:27 PM
i have three towels i rotate between. rotations are usually two to three weeks long, but with (these days) two days of swimming a week, they are aired out and hang out for a few days. When they get pretty stank is when I toss them in the wash. i usually have two towels for a meet (plus chamois), and with the amount of water that ends up in them, they get dried out and then sent to the washer for some treatment w/ Tide.

as for saran wrap, i only use that when i dont have a...
err...
when i run out of wax paper to wrap my leftover food.
:dedhorse:

I think I should bring the towel and have you guys grade it for pungency and linger....

SwimStud
November 12th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I have to say, that I tried the Oxy Clean soak and it worked like a charm. The towel smells as fresh as a daisy now!

swimshark
November 12th, 2007, 02:52 PM
I have to say, that I tried the Oxy Clean soak and it worked like a charm. The towel smells as fresh as a daisy now!

If it smells good now, you obviously have't used it yet! :joker:

Alison

SwimStud
November 12th, 2007, 02:59 PM
If it smells good now, you obviously have't used it yet! :joker:

Alison

Hehehe I think I'll deflower it tonight!

~Wren~
November 12th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Another option is to put a cup of white vinegar in during the first rinse. For a really bad towel, stop the cycle and let it soak for awhile, then kick it back on (and no, your towel won't smell like vinegar). :)

laineybug
November 13th, 2007, 01:09 PM
after the hour or so soak in the washer with bleach and detergent, put it out in the sun to dry. It won't be soft and fluffy like it is when dried in a dryer, but the fresh air and sunshine helps freshen it up too.

Lainey

ande
November 14th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Throw it away, burn it it, destroy it,
get a new towel that isn't made of cotton

I was at a meeting in New Orleans staying at the Ritz
in the last meeting, the speaker said
"I love this hotel,
it's so nice,
the towels here are so fluffy
I could barely
fit them in my suitcase."

I've got a swimming towel that frankly smeels terrible now, even right after the wash. It smells stagnant, Mrs Stud won't even give it to the Dog LOL.

I thought perhaps the machine isn't rinsing thoroughly but nothing else smells, clothes are fine and smell great. I'm forced to believe that it is something to do with the water at the YMCA...perhaps even after showering I am sweating chlorine or other things into the towel.

SwimStud
November 14th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Throw it away, burn it it, destroy it,
get a new towel that isn't made of cotton

I was at a meeting in New Orleans staying at the Ritz
in the last meeting, the speaker said
"I love this hotel,
it's so nice,
the towels here are so fluffy
I could barely
fit them in my suitcase."

Hahaha. Well there is no need to toss the towel, Oxyclean, cleaned it "Oxily" I would guess. Save the $ for meet fees!

leslie hanes
July 2nd, 2008, 06:09 PM
The Wicking towels with Silver that you are recommending have been featured in several gear reviews, such as Sailing magazine and were recently in Camping Life as one of the 2008 editors choice. The silver molecule smothers the bacteria molecule so they don't get "funky" smelling. They also have really high sun protection which is great for summer swim clubs. They dry out so fast that you don't need tons of towels for a meet, just a couple will do. If you want to read some independent reviews, just "google" Wicking Towel and there are quite a few. The towels are made by Discovery Trekking.
Quite a few swim teams are using them now, and they are worth the cost.

Dolphin 2
July 3rd, 2008, 10:54 AM

Are you washing your towels in a so called “High Efficiency” (HE) washer?

If so, that is probably the cause of your problem:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/appliances/laundry-and-cleaning/washing-machines/washers-and-dryers-6-07/overview/0607_wash_ov_1.htm

HE washers don’t use enough water to get clothes clean and rinse the final residue out. I know that a lot of gyms & health clubs use HE washers and it's a sure bet that’s the source of the newest strain of staph. :notworking:

I'm an officer on the homeowners association at our condo complex and when we replaced our old laundry machines, we decided against HE washers and bought conventional Speed Queen commercial top loaders (the type that actually fills with water and use an agitator that twists back & forth).

My suggestion is just bring your own towel and make sure it’s washed in a conventional top loader that uses enough water to get the job done –not an HE type.

Dolphin 2

aquageek
July 3rd, 2008, 11:12 AM
I know that a lot of gyms & health clubs use HE washers and it's a sure bet that’s the source of the newest strain of staph.

Please stop. What evidence do you have to support this? It's a sure bet??? You have to stop throwing stuff out there like it's official with no supporting evidence. We have actual doctors on this forum, maybe they can weigh in on this and let us know the truth. Is there some mutant Maytag Staph bug that you know about unique to front loading HE washers?

I'm in the market for new washer and dryer so I read your link. It does not support your assertion, in fact it flat out disagrees with you. It says "Most front-loaders offer superior performance and efficiency." It also says "Today most top-loaders only get a good washing score, and some had the lowest scores we’ve seen in years. "

It appears the decision of your HOA is a bad one.

I can't take it any more.

leslie hanes
July 3rd, 2008, 11:41 AM
I still use very hot water for towels & sheets...I may be old fashioned but it just works better, I don't care what kind of special cold water detergent people use, hot water is more effective killing germs.

scyfreestyler
July 3rd, 2008, 11:45 AM
Adding a splash of bleach helps as well. Even if it's for colors, a small amount of bleach does not seem to have any ill effect on the colors.

Dolphin 2
July 3rd, 2008, 11:57 AM
Please stop. What evidence do you have to support this? It's a sure bet??? You have to stop throwing stuff out there like it's official with no supporting evidence. We have actual doctors on this forum, maybe they can weigh in on this and let us know the truth. Is there some mutant Maytag Staph bug that you know about unique to front loading HE washers?

I'm in the market for new washer and dryer so I read your link. It does not support your assertion, in fact it flat out disagrees with you. It says "Most front-loaders offer superior performance and efficiency." It also says "Today most top-loaders only get a good washing score, and some had the lowest scores we’ve seen in years. "

It appears the decision of your HOA is a bad one.

I can't take it any more.

The Whirlpool “Calypso” was the first HE washer marketed in the U.S. and it had a major problem with leaving dirt and residue in clothes.

Here’s more Info about problems with other brands of HE washers:
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf000711.tip.html

http://www.frontloadwasherclassaction.com/

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/la/cleaning/mold-and-mildew-in-the-washeroc-register-4408-047349

http://consumerist.com/consumer/complaints/sears-front+loading-washer-leaves-clothes-stinky-328946.php

http://www.handymanwire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=698859

http://www.fixya.com/support/t289881-washer_smells_bad

http://www.lgstinks.com/

http://www.epinions.com/content_164289678980

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Large_Appliances-All-Washing_Machines-Whirlpool_Super_Capacity_Plus_Calypso_Washer_GVW99 59KT/display_~reviews

There’s a ton of additional info about problems with HE washers and their propensity to act as an incubator for mold and mildew (and proabably staph) due to inefficient washing capability. :doh:

Dolphin 2

aquageek
July 3rd, 2008, 12:30 PM
Where is your support that "gyms & health clubs use HE washers and it's a sure bet that’s the source of the newest strain of staph?"

I'm not asking for seven more links to discussion forums about stinky clothes. I'd like medical information, not your conjecture.

Dolphin 2
July 3rd, 2008, 12:52 PM
Where is your support that "gyms & health clubs use HE washers and it's a sure bet that’s the source of the newest strain of staph?"

I'm not asking for seven more links to discussion forums about stinky clothes. I'd like medical information, not your conjecture.

Front loading HE washers are now the industry standard in commercial establishments. To determine if a gym or health club is using a potentially problematic HE washer, just take a look in the laundry room.

If the washer is a front loader with window in the door you can see what’s going inside when it’s on the “wash” cycle. I’ve seen quite few of them and there’s hardly enough water in them during the wash cycle to really get the towels clean. :confused:

In fact, I am thinking of having the San Francisco Health Department take samples and cultures from the residue (something that looks like wet dryer lint) in the washers at gyms and laundromats. I bet they are in fact the source of staph.

The same thing is probably true with the so called "Noro Virus" on cruise ships.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-qa.htm

I bet the bacteria is being spread through passenger's clothes that have been "washed" in HE machines in the ship's laundry.

Dolphin 2

anita
July 3rd, 2008, 01:40 PM
As the person who de-stinks hockey clothing from the Husband and Son, I can say the cheapest way to get any stink out is by using hot water and baking soda (in addition to the detergent). I also soak really stinky jerseys in vinegar, baking soda and water in the sink before washing.

Iwannafly
July 3rd, 2008, 01:48 PM
As the person who de-stinks hockey clothing from the Husband and Son, I can say the cheapest way to get any stink out is by using hot water and baking soda (in addition to the detergent). I also soak really stinky jerseys in vinegar, baking soda and water in the sink before washing.
Just out of curiosity, what does the vinegar/baking soda combination do since the baking soda should neutralize the acetic acid in the vinegar? Chris, Mr. Chemistry, a little help here since I only had to have two semesters of Freshman Chemistry.

geochuck
July 3rd, 2008, 01:53 PM
Combination makes a great cleaning solution. It is a Chemdry Carpet Cleaning solution. It makes lots of bubbles.

Here is the concept soda and acid make carbonation http://www.chemdry.com/services/professional-carpet-cleaning/the-power-of-carbonation

swimcat
July 3rd, 2008, 02:36 PM
does anyone's bathroom or garage smell like old pool water too? i don't know if it is the towels or the suit

Iwannafly
July 3rd, 2008, 02:36 PM
Combination makes a great cleaning solution. It is a Chemdry Carpet Cleaning solution. It makes lots of bubbles.

Here is the concept soda and acid make carbonation http://www.chemdry.com/services/professional-carpet-cleaning/the-power-of-carbonation
Yeah, but carbonation, in and of itself, cleans nothing!

SwimStud
July 3rd, 2008, 03:05 PM
Just out of curiosity, what does the vinegar/baking soda combination do since the baking soda should neutralize the acetic acid in the vinegar? Chris, Mr. Chemistry, a little help here since I only had to have two semesters of Freshman Chemistry.

Dropping acid for two semesters doesn't count as "taking Chemistry" at least not in academic terms bud... ;)

knelson
July 3rd, 2008, 03:16 PM
I’ve seen quite few of them and there’s hardly enough water in them during the wash cycle to really get the towels clean. :confused:

The icon you used is called "confused" and it seems particularly apropos to me. How do you know how much water it takes to wash clothes? I think your posts on this subject are complete and utter drivel.

I've heard cases where certain front-load washers had problems of not draining properly causing mold to grow, but that's a design flaw of those particular machines, not front-load, HE washing machines in general.

aquageek
July 3rd, 2008, 03:23 PM
I think your posts on this subject are complete and utter drivel.

Word

Iwannafly
July 3rd, 2008, 03:30 PM
Dropping acid for two semesters doesn't count as "taking Chemistry" at least not in academic terms bud... ;)
Ohhhhh, perhaps that's why it took me so long to get my degree!

Chris Stevenson
July 3rd, 2008, 04:24 PM

Acetic acid -- or any other acid -- will produce carbon dioxide bubbles from baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). Not sure why it would clean anything.

Dolphin 2
July 3rd, 2008, 05:21 PM
The icon you used is called "confused" and it seems particularly apropos to me. How do you know how much water it takes to wash clothes? I think your posts on this subject are complete and utter drivel.

I've heard cases where certain front-load washers had problems of not draining properly causing mold to grow, but that's a design flaw of those particular machines, not front-load, HE washing machines in general.

Hey Nelson
From laboratory tests, the minimum "Water Factor" for a workable washing machine is 1.9 gallons per cubic foot. HE front loaders (and some HE top loaders) are about 1.4 (or even less) which is way too low to get a full load clean.

By the way, I was one of the expert witnesses who helped launch the successful lawsuit against Whirlpool (over their Calypso HE washer) which resulted in a $5 Million payout to buyers and a withdrawl of the machine from the market in 2004.

I can tell you for a fact there's a lot of "Do-Do stuck to the ceiling" regarding the mold/mildew problem with these new HE washers (and also their probable connection to staph) and more lawsuits are on the way.

Incidentally, I took a trip to a large scrap metal recycling plant at the Port Of Oakland (with one of those monstrous shredding machines that can grind up a whole car in 15 seconds) and right there in the pile is an almost new HE front loader waiting to be dropped on the conveyor to the shredder. The plant operator says they're getting about 2 or 3 of them a week. Given the rate they're being junked, HE washers aren't turning out to be very environmentally friendly.

Dolphin 2

anita
July 3rd, 2008, 05:52 PM
Yeah, but carbonation, in and of itself, cleans nothing!

I have no idea, but I know that vinegar and baking soda used separately do take out odors. I figured if I combined them they could possibly do double duty and make fun carbonation as well. I love science experiments!

This happened when a particularly FOUL jersey of Husband's would not de-stink. I didn't want to use bleach on the jersey fabric because I didn't know what the results would be, so I tried baking soda. No go. Then I soaked it in vinegar in the sink and just threw some baking soda in there for fun. Worked like a charm, although the vinegar could have worked separately.

aquageek
July 3rd, 2008, 05:57 PM
By the way, I was one of the expert witnesses who helped launch the successful lawsuit against Whirlpool (over their Calypso HE washer) which resulted in a $5 Million payout to buyers and a withdrawl of the machine from the market in 2004.

Please cite the specific case in which you were qualified as the expert witness. Don't send us a link to a letter to the editor but tell us the case and when you were deposed.

geochuck
July 3rd, 2008, 06:02 PM
Chem Dry Carpet Cleaning is one of the top carpet cleaning companies in the world. They use a carbonated solution to clean your carpets. It does work.

Ripple
July 4th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Those "oxy" detergents are pretty good at getting out odors. Not sure how they trap the oxygen in the detergent, but it seems to work. Maybe diluted hydrogen peroxide would work for small jobs such as running shoes?
Europeans have been using high efficiency front load washers for decades. I've never heard of any massive outbreaks of staph anywhere in Europe, and I haven't seen vast numbers of people running around in dirty clothes when visiting England, France, Germany, or Croatia.

Dolphin 2
July 7th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Those "oxy" detergents are pretty good at getting out odors. Not sure how they trap the oxygen in the detergent, but it seems to work. Maybe diluted hydrogen peroxide would work for small jobs such as running shoes?
Europeans have been using high efficiency front load washers for decades. I've never heard of any massive outbreaks of staph anywhere in Europe, and I haven't seen vast numbers of people running around in dirty clothes when visiting England, France, Germany, or Croatia.

The washers you see in Europe are standard front loading washers that have been around for about 60 years. They filled at least full of water during the wash and rinse cycle and work quite well. Although they were very successful, they are also so expensive that they were used mostly for the commercial market. However the so called “High Efficiency” (HE) washers were developed in the U.S. and first entered the world market in 1998. HE machines use about 15 gallons (or less) for the entire wash/rinse cycle and they are the ones with the mold/mildew problem.

HE washers were developed by U.S. appliance makers in response to the California drought and water shortage from 1987 to 1991. Whirlpool’s Calypso was the first HE top loader and it came out in 1998 and was withdrawn from the market in 2004 following a storm of lawsuits claiming it generated a huge amount of sludge and left clothes "stinking like dirty gym socks". The main problem was that the Calypso didn’t use enough water to wash clothes and also purge residue from the machine.

I was the expert witness for the law firm that handled the complaints from buyers of the Calypso machines in California and a federal judge consolidated all the suits into one national class action and a settlement was achieved in 2006. However, the other brands of HE front and top loaders (involving nearly 50 companies) still have the same problem as the Calypso (they don't use enough water to thoroughly wash or rinse) and there are going to be literally waves of new lawsuits over these machines also.

Joe T.
August 18th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Stinky Towels and (HE) Washers - Not enough water!

http://whirlpool-dueling-with-duet.blogspot.com/

http://mikes-duet.blogspot.com/

I don't have time to retype what I just spent typing for the last hour to loose it when I went to preview post. Just take a look at the blogs.

Thanks,
Joe T.

USMSarah
August 18th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Anyone's latex caps start smelling kinda funky? I have a few that I've used for a while and they have a strange smell - there's not much you can do for it except buy a new cap I guess.

geochuck
August 18th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Wash them out in clean tap water, then dri them, put some baby powder on them, put them in the freezer.

Anyone's latex caps start smelling kinda funky? I have a few that I've used for a while and they have a strange smell - there's not much you can do for it except buy a new cap I guess.

USMSarah
August 19th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Wash them out in clean tap water, then dri them, put some baby powder on them, put them in the freezer.

The freezer? :)

leslie hanes
February 27th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Hi, this is Leslie...I own the company that makes the amazing fast-dry wicking swim towels.
I appreciate the great feedback everyone has given us on our unique towels. We have had the towels featured in over 50 magazine gear reviews now. This month, they are in the Backpacker magazine "essential gear guide" which is wonderful. We've also had them tested and reviewed by independent testers at BackPackGearTest.org. They were comparing the existing towels to an even lighter version we recently developed (hard to believe if you've ever seen how light our original towels are.) Both got extremely high ratings. I keep getting emails asking where they can be purchased (retail stores).
The towels are now available at REI stores in the West, and hopefully will be in all of them by the end of 2010. We still do not have a major US swim supplier, and are currently looking for the right swim supply partner to make it easier for you to purchase.
We have been approached by Amazon to sell them there as well, we are hoping to have them online through Amazon by April 2010. In the meantime, we still have them for sale on our site. In Canada, Team Aquatic Supplies carries them in their stores.
Thanks for your support and suggestions.
Leslie
www.discoverytrekking.com

orca1946
February 27th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Does it fully dry between uses ? Can you use the towels at the pool or gym ?

swimshark
February 27th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Does it fully dry between uses ? Can you use the towels at the pool or gym ?

The Wicker Warm-up towels fully dry between use. In fact I have the largest one and it dries in about an hour of laid out. I've had mine for a few years and love it. I use mine at the gym as well but not as much as a smaller towel.

leslie hanes
February 27th, 2010, 09:36 PM
Thought I might chime in to explain why these towels are so much different than any conventional towels (including microfiber or chamois)
Most towels pull moisture inside the fibers. This is what makes a towel absorbant. Our towels use a moisture-management technology much like the wicking athletic shirts that keep you dry. They pull the moisture "around" the fibers instead of inside them. Then, they spread the moisture across the surface. This is why they dry 4 times faster than anything else. That alone will keep them from smelling moldy, but on top of that, each fiber has silver impregnated into it. Silver is one of the best antimicrobials...and it doesn't easily wash out. (Many "wicking" fabrics contain chemical antimicrobials that are not only bad for you, but wash out very quickly. This is why those athletic shirts stink so bad after a while). We use this silver technology in many other products besides the towels.
In any event, this is why you don't need a whole bunch of towels at a meet. Just one or two is sufficient.
We sell them to thousands of swimmers, but they are also really good for travel, camping, hiking, and home use. If you have any technical questions, please feel free to visit our website or call me personally. The only reason we are able to make such innovative products is the fact that we listen to what people need and/or want.
Leslie

leslie hanes
March 4th, 2010, 10:27 AM
For those of you who want to try the fast-dry Discovery Trekking towels that everyone is chatting about, I wanted to offer you a coupon code. We have some other coupon codes floating out there on the internet, but we updated our website recently and those codes aren't valid anymore. I've been contacted by a few of you, wondering why the old codes dont work. So, the following code is worth $5 off any purchase of $50.
The code is 7PP5CFVG
You can mix and match any sized towels, the large is best for swimming but we also have smaller towels for workout, and Extreme ultralite for backpacking and running (a new, even lighter version of our swim style fabric) This extreme ultralite was just recommended in the latest Backpacker Magazine "essential gear" guide...which is pretty high accolades.
These towels are still not available in any east-coast stores (we're working on it!) They are available at many REI stores in the west, and in Canada through Team Aquatic supplies. They will be available through Amazon.com but not until about May 2010. Until then, you can certainly order from us www.discoverytrekking.com and use the coupon code.
Any teams wishing volume discounts can call.
Thanks! Leslie