PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the land of the unattractive...

imspoiled
October 23rd, 2007, 10:41 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071022/od_nm/philadelphia_unattractive1_dc

For sale: 3 bdrm, single fam home in the suburbs. Good school system, low taxes. "attractive" offers only.

scwids
October 23rd, 2007, 10:53 AM
I'm right behind you on the ugly train here in DC!! :banana:

ALM
October 23rd, 2007, 11:12 AM
Ande will be happy to know that his city, Austin, ranked 4th in the "attractive" category (after Miami, San Diego, and Charleston):

http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/2007/category/1/subcategory/2

Anna Lea

SwimStud
October 23rd, 2007, 12:06 PM
yeah but look all the dummies are in LA!!

http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/2007/category/1/subcategory/5

stussy96
October 23rd, 2007, 05:35 PM
This thing must live in Philly....

geochuck
October 23rd, 2007, 06:55 PM
Are there any unattractive people, I don't think so. Unique features yes.

I remember a lady who to me as a child she was very ugly. She was married to a man who at my young age was very ugly also. As I grew up and got toknow these two wonderful individauls although not pretty or handsome. I will always remember them as true loyal friends.

ensignada
October 23rd, 2007, 07:16 PM
That's why I love this place! The bar is set so low....

aquaFeisty
October 23rd, 2007, 09:26 PM
engineers do really well around the Philly area...
:)

(though I thought it was Chicago that recently won the 'fattest city' contest...)

stussy96
October 23rd, 2007, 10:30 PM
engineers do really well around the Philly area...
:)

(though I thought it was Chicago that recently won the 'fattest city' contest...)

Does that have anything to do with the unattractive status in Philly?

I would know, I hung out at the engineering frat at the University of Illinois.

But of course, I am kidding...I'm married to an engineer. :thhbbb:

And how can Chicago not be fat. We only have the best food ever!!

ensignada
October 23rd, 2007, 11:24 PM

Amen to that. You have no idea, Stacy, what passes here for pizza. I swear the cheese is an afterthought. And oh, I miss Chicago dogs - yes, I know they're really bad for you, but what I wouldn't give for a garbage dog now. :cry:

The Fortress
October 23rd, 2007, 11:27 PM
Amen to that. You have no idea, Stacy, what passes here for pizza. I swear the cheese is an afterthought. And oh, I miss Chicago dogs - yes, I know they're really bad for you, but what I wouldn't give for a garbage dog now. :cry:

I miss the Twin Anchors for ribs. Is it still there? I miss Lincoln Park ... except in winter. I don't miss the midwest winters.

aquaFeisty
October 24th, 2007, 08:15 AM
Does that have anything to do with the unattractive status in Philly?

I would know, I hung out at the engineering frat at the University of Illinois.

But of course, I am kidding...I'm married to an engineer. :thhbbb:

If you read the article, the author wrote that one of the qualities leading to Philly getting the most unattractive status was that the people were the 'least stylish'. As an engineer who still (at the age of 32) knows that the most stylish clothes I own were either purchased by my mom or my sister, I can relate!!!

And yeah, I love Chicago's food!! The only thing Philly has that Chicago doesn't in terms of food are the cheesesteaks. Ah.... cheesesteak... or better yet, chicken cheesesteak... YUM!!!

geochuck
October 24th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Did any of you Chicago people know my good freind Dennis Matuch a great marathon swimmer. From the 60s - 70s

Leonard Jansen
October 24th, 2007, 09:46 AM
They must be kidding. Compared to South-Central PA, the people in Philly are positively gorgeous and extremely friendly. For ugly/grumpy, we can beat anyone.

We're #1!

-LBJ

ensignada
October 24th, 2007, 09:52 AM
They must be kidding. Compared to South-Central PA, the people in Philly are positively gorgeous and extremely friendly. For ugly/grumpy, we can beat anyone.

We're #1!

-LBJ

I will concede the ugly part - only because I don't know enough people from SCen PA, but the people in this area are the grumpiest I've ever met. Sorry, Leonard. If you're in the 'hood, stop by and I'll introduce you to my neighbors.

Carrie - I still don't get cheesesteaks. Italian beef from Little Italy or Portillo's yes, but steaks just don't do it for me.

matysekj
October 24th, 2007, 10:47 AM
I still don't get cheesesteaks. Italian beef from Little Italy or Portillo's yes, but steaks just don't do it for me.

Tell you what, Barb... I'll send you my address and you can ship me any of those unwanted Philly cheesesteaks that you happen upon.

SwimStud
October 24th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Well the people may be ugly but damn I like Scrapple and Yeunglings!

imspoiled
October 24th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Well the people may be ugly but damn I like Scrapple and Yeunglings!

It takes a great number of Yeunglings to appreciate scrapple. YUCK!!!

Barb, I have to disagree on the pizza issue; although, I am closer to town than you are. The main issue I come across is finding a good crust.

And, while cheesesteaks (and chix steaks) are the bomb, we also have REAL soft pretzels--not those frozen Super Pretzel things that you bake at home and kid yourself into thinking is a pretzel. A real soft pretzel would not be caught dead spinning around in a glass box with a heat lamp.

Leonard Jansen
October 24th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Well the people may be ugly but damn I like Scrapple

That's because you are British and grew up without access to food.

-LBJ

geochuck
October 24th, 2007, 02:39 PM
None of you have mentioned the great food item from Quebec Canada - beats all tose wimpering foods you have mentioned.

Poutine, food of the gods. How to make it here http://www.recipezaar.com/113388

The almost perfect food Protein, Carbs and Fat.

SwimStud
October 24th, 2007, 03:02 PM
That's because you are British and grew up without access to food.

-LBJ

Ha I resemble that comment! I like Scrapple...I don't see why everyone is so against it...no worse than black pudding.

Leonard Jansen
October 24th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Ha I resemble that comment! I like Scrapple...I don't see why everyone is so against it...no worse than black pudding.
You are making my point for me. As I've said elsewhere, scrapple is made from things that, by law, aren't allowed to be put in dog food. BTW, the "s" is silent in scrapple.

-LBJ

SwimStud
October 24th, 2007, 03:52 PM
You are making my point for me. As I've said elsewhere, scrapple is made from things that, by law, aren't allowed to be put in dog food. BTW, the "s" is silent in scrapple.

-LBJ

Haha you guys are food wimps...I'd love to see you tackle jellied eels...

geochuck
October 24th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Stud did I hear you mention Black Pudding the other great food of the Gods.

Scrappel from the Whiehouse cook book http://www.vintagerecipes.net/books/whitehouse/scrappel.php

SwimStud
October 24th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Stud did I hear you mention Black Pudding the other great food of the Gods.

Scrappel from the Whiehouse cook book http://www.vintagerecipes.net/books/whitehouse/scrappel.php

Black pudding as nasty as it sounds is awesome fried with eggs and bacon.

stussy96
October 24th, 2007, 07:26 PM
As an engineer who still (at the age of 32) knows that the most stylish clothes I own were either purchased by my mom or my sister, I can relate!!!

Um, have you seen my fashion sense on my facebook and myspace pages? I am NOT stylish, whatsoever. I like to pretend I am, but frankly I don't care about my clothes. If I like it, I wear it.

I think my style sense is engineer inspired. :banana:

ensignada
October 24th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Tell you what, Barb... I'll send you my address and you can ship me any of those unwanted Philly cheesesteaks that you happen upon.

Jim, I'll put some on ice for Colony Zones. You want yours wid or widouw?

ensignada
October 24th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Haha you guys are food wimps...I'd love to see you tackle jellied eels...

My friends and I used to buy smoked eels at the fishmarket in Hamburg, Germany, early Sunday mornings. We'd wait until the seriously hungover tourists would show up from a night on adjacent red light/bar district, then slice the heads back, peel them like bananas and eat them. The most tourists we ever got throwing up at once was around 10.

Ah, the good ol' days! :drink:

poolraat
October 24th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Um, have you seen my fashion sense on my facebook and myspace pages? I am NOT stylish, whatsoever. I like to pretend I am, but frankly I don't care about my clothes. If I like it, I wear it.

I think my style sense is engineer inspired. :banana:

Engineers Rock, Stacy. We are so cool and stylish. :rofl::lmao:
I'm not going to talk about how I dress. Let's just say it's predictable.

FindingMyInnerFish
October 24th, 2007, 11:21 PM

We're #1!

-LBJ

Hmmm... could this be the root of your hostility toward the Red Sox? How long haf you had zeze feelings? :cool:

Blackbeard's Peg
October 25th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Jim, I'll put some on ice for Colony Zones. You want yours wid or widouw?

Pat's Provey Wid.
Barb, are you a Pat's or Geno's gal?

ensignada
October 25th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Pat's Provey Wid.
Barb, are you a Pat's or Geno's gal?

I haven't had either, Muppet. Steaks just don't do it for me. My cousin tried one of our local sandwiches and said it "wasn't bad" - which is South Jersian for "pretty good" - I thought maybe I didn't like them because I hadn't had a good one. If you and SwimmieAvesFan are ever in town, I will gladly meet you at Pat's for the true taste test.

I agree with you on the Provey Wid - the cheese whiz doesn't do it for me at all!

Stillhere
October 25th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Do you know why Harrisburg, PA doesn't have an NFL team?

Because if they get one, then Philly will want one. :banana:

ensignada
October 25th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Do you know why Harrisburg, PA doesn't have an NFL team?

Because if they get one, then Philly will want one. :banana:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Blackbeard's Peg
October 25th, 2007, 11:56 PM
I haven't had either, Muppet. Steaks just don't do it for me. My cousin tried one of our local sandwiches and said it "wasn't bad" - which is South Jersian for "pretty good" - I thought maybe I didn't like them because I hadn't had a good one. If you and SwimmieAvsFan are ever in town, I will gladly meet you at Pat's for the true taste test.

I agree with you on the Provey Wid - the cheese whiz doesn't do it for me at all!

Barb - we'll take you up on that offer! Actually, Mollie and I and a friend of mine were up there this time last year to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers. We drove up after work and stopped by Pat's for dinner on the way to the show. YUM! We'll likely be up sometime early 2008 for a meet at UPenn. Ain't nothing like a warm cheesesteak and cherry coke to warm you up on a sub-freezing Philadelphia afternoon after a swim meet!!!

ensignada
October 26th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Barb - we'll take you up on that offer! Actually, Mollie and I and a friend of mine were up there this time last year to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers. We drove up after work and stopped by Pat's for dinner on the way to the show. YUM! We'll likely be up sometime early 2008 for a meet at UPenn. Ain't nothing like a warm cheesesteak and cherry coke to warm you up on a sub-freezing Philadelphia afternoon after a swim meet!!!

I love the Peppers. I first saw them at the then Limelight in NYC about 20 years ago (the only time I've body-slammed, lol). I was completely wowed. I've seen them a couple of time since in Chicago and Indy but not for many years. The show in Indy was surreal: they must have had a free day as they were booked into a "coffeehouse/bar". It was a Monday night, and Monday Night Football was playing on a big screen behind them. Maybe 30 people were there for them, the rest for the football. They looked as if they'd landed on another planet. lol

Let me know when your UPenn meet is. I'll bring my daughter and you'll have your own personal cheering section. You can tell Mollie that my daughter remembers her as the "seagull/bagel" woman. :-)