PDA

View Full Version : Feature ideas

EmilyS
October 23rd, 2007, 02:02 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm an intern at Swimming World Magazine, and every week I do a spotlight on a Masters swimmer. Does anyone know of any interesting swimmers I could feature?
Thanks!

quicksilver
October 23rd, 2007, 04:04 PM
Ande Rasmussen.

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?p=111273#post111273

Ian
October 24th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Edith Glusac, Michigan Masters, 88 years young and full of life, 353 Top Ten Swims.

Frank Thompson
October 24th, 2007, 09:33 AM
I agree with Ian that Edith would be great for the Swimming World spotlight. Here is an article about Edith in the Michigan Masters Newsletter on page 3 when she was awarded the Michigan Masters Lifetime Achievement in 2005. www.michiganmasters.com/Newsletters/YR.END.NEWSLTR.06.pdf

The Fortress
October 25th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Kristina/(S)he-Man or Donna Hooe. Both serious trainers with great stories and amazing work ethics and attitudes. (S)he-Man's been swimming with tennis shoes on to improve ... Donna is so impressive that she should be on the cover of a magazine for her before/after body shots!

Glider
October 25th, 2007, 09:15 PM
MSA for our Georgia Girls:banana:

Kristina/(S)he-Man or Donna Hooe. Both serious trainers with great stories and amazing work ethics and attitudes. (S)he-Man's been swimming with tennis shoes on to improve ... Donna is so impressive that she should be on the cover of a magazine for her before/after body shots!

ensignada
October 25th, 2007, 10:06 PM
You didn't specify what "interesting" means, so here's my suggestion.

I've been visiting this forum for just about a year now and am continually amazed at the depth and breadth of swimming and life experiences we have here. We have truly elite swimmers, stroke experts, average jo/sephine competitive swimmers and fitness swimmers. Some folks swim at the top of their game, some are exploring where the top is for them.

If you have time (and with a weekly deadline, you may not), I would recommend just browsing some of the threads to get a feel for the people here. Check out the hard-core swimming ones, the lighter ones, the controversial ones. The recommendations here so far are great, but there are a number of people who might not be a "top of mind" nomination who have interesting stories. Lurk a little - you never know what you may turn up. :wine:

ALM
October 25th, 2007, 11:23 PM
Emily,

I am the registrar in my area, so I know a lot of the swimmers. I can think of a number of them that would make good feature stories. I'll try to send you an e-mail with some suggestions.

Anna Lea

Blackbeard's Peg
October 25th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Emily,
If you're ever looking to do a story on someone "dumb" enough to swim despite having broken bones and hanging-by-a-thread ligaments, I'm DEFINETELY your man!

:cane:

Swimmer Bill
October 26th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Pick me. Pick me. Pick me.

(just kidding)

:bouncing:

SwimStud
October 26th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Pick me. Pick me. Pick me.

(just kidding)

:bouncing:

I'm Spartacus!

If you want to "sexy" it up...I know someone...
:rofl:

Rob Copeland
October 26th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Emily,

My apologies, for forum members who appear to be making light of your earnest request for assistance.

Depending on what aspects of Masters Swimming you are looking for; our history, our present or our future; elite swimmers, stories of triumph over adversity, basic human interest stories, … there are thousands of stories out there.

Historically, Ted Haartz, John Spannuth, Bob Beach are a few names that pop out. Lots more can be found on the USMS History and Archives page.

Triumph over adversity, basic human interest stories – what comes to mind would be the story of our Masters of New Orleans; as they still recover from Katrina and prepare for December’s Zone Championship meet.

Another basic human interest story – would be swimming families. A number of us have 3 or more generations of swimmers.

And while he may have been just kidding, Swimmer Bill’s story would be interesting.

SwimStud
October 26th, 2007, 08:48 AM
Emily

You could also write about the community and how much fun we like to have in person and on the forums.

I'd say look at a human interest story ("Rudy" as a general sports example) as only a few normal/average folks can relate to an elite athlete, and the acme of athletic achievement. the fact is only a few of us get to wear the Laurels for whatever reason, the rest of us are only the "champions" when we win a heat in front of out kids!

Finally, excuse my humour, if you were offended, it's just my way, I wasn't mocking you at all.

Rich

Edited for peace, love and tranquility.

Allen Stark
October 26th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Collette Crabbe.She missed all of last year getting chemo for breast cancer then gets firsts and seconds at Nats. in Federal Way.

rtodd
October 26th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Do a story on Ande.

He has helped me and ton's of others and I would like to know more about this guy.