PDA

View Full Version : Water in your ears...

SwimStud
October 24th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Do you ever get water stuck in your lugholes?

How do you get it out?

Concho Pearl
October 24th, 2007, 03:02 PM
I put a couple drops of rubbing alcohol in one hear..tip head back other direction to let it drain out, then do the other ear. Works for me.

ensignada
October 24th, 2007, 03:03 PM
(1) Shake head to the side violently, trying not to throw neck out.

(2) About a 1/2 teaspoon (from kid's medicine syringe) of 1 pt alcohol and 1 pt white vinegar in each ear. Wait a few second. Drain. (Store in a glass container, lol)

Works for me. You smell funny afterward, but with those towels you've been using, that may be a boon.:thhbbb:

SwimStud
October 24th, 2007, 03:05 PM
(1) Shake head to the side violently, trying not to throw neck out.

(2) About a 1/2 teaspoon (from kid's medicine syringe) of 1 pt alcohol and 1 pt white vinegar in each ear. Wait a few second. Drain. (Store in a glass container, lol)

Works for me. You smell funny afterward, but with those towels you've been using, that may be a boon.:thhbbb:

I'm so bringing my towel to the Sprint...I'm going to find a way to send it home with you!!!

I got clogged ears last night after the swim and it didn't drain. My sinuses feel polluted today!

Justin Ritter
October 24th, 2007, 03:19 PM
The tilting the head to the side and shaking up and down thing always works for me. My ENT doc is not a big fan of putting alcohol in your ears as it will dry out the membranes and make them more prone to injury or infection, especially if used daily and in conjunction with the inner ears being exposed to dirty chloriny water. But it's probably still better than having clogged ears all the time as that's a recipe for lots of trouble too.

swimshark
October 24th, 2007, 03:29 PM
I'm so bringing my towel to the Sprint...I'm going to find a way to send it home with you!!!!

LOL! Better Barb than me.

Alison

SwimStud
October 24th, 2007, 03:32 PM
LOL! Better Barb than me.

Alison

hmmm but you will ahve access to the locker room that Barb is in, will you not?
muwahaha muwwhaha muwahahahahahaha

swimshark
October 24th, 2007, 03:35 PM
hmmm but you will ahve access to the locker room that Barb is in, will you not?
muwahaha muwwhaha muwahahahahahaha

Guess I'll just have to hide out in yours....

Alison

Mighty Minnow
October 24th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Hopping on one foot while shaking head to allow ear to drain usually works for me. If not, a few drops of Swimmer's Ear or Aura Dri (found over the counter in drugstores) works for the most part.

ensignada
October 24th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I'm so bringing my towel to the Sprint...I'm going to find a way to send it home with you!!!

I got clogged ears last night after the swim and it didn't drain. My sinuses feel polluted today!

Do me a favor, Stud? Wave that thing in my face during the 3rd turn of my 100 - I've never negative split before. :D

TomBrooklyn
October 26th, 2007, 12:30 PM
A little while ago, between using a new pair of mp3 player headphones which were the ear bud type (the ones you stick directly into your ear canal) and swimming, I developed some kind of irritation or infection in my ears that started driving me crazy and keeping me up at night.

I searched the web and found the remedy was alchohol or a 50/50 mix of alcohol and common white vinegar.

I tried it and it worked like a charm.

Around the same time, I went to a drug store and checked what they had. I bought a little bottle of Star-Otic ear drying aid made specifically for swimmers. It cost about $3 for one fluid ounce. What is in it? 95% alcohol and 5% glycerine. It seemed to me to work about the same or maybe not even quite as good as the homemade mix of alcohol and vinegar.

CaliSwimmer
October 27th, 2007, 11:46 PM
I frequently get water in my ears after swimming, and it's really annoying! One tip that I read about is easy and cheap, and though it sounds counterintuitive, it works. To get water out of your ears, put more in. During your post-workout shower or even while still in the pool, allow water to dribble from your hand into your ear, and then tilt your head, or shake. The "new" water binds with the "old" water and draws it out.