PDA

View Full Version : Which, if any, swim camps did you attend?

Lisa777
October 24th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I went to Jack Nelson Swim Camp, one at Ocean Beach Park in CT and one at the U of Florida, Gainsville. Anyone else go to these or other swim camps as a kid?

Midas
October 24th, 2007, 06:51 PM
I went to the one put on by Tennessee head coach John "JT" Trembley at Mercersberg Academy in Pennsylvania. I think they still hold that camp. I learned a ton and for the first few years, worked hard. As the years went by, it became more of a technique camp and less of a "training" camp.

blainesapprentice
October 24th, 2007, 07:16 PM
I went to a bunch:

1. Catch the Wave Swim camp at Mount St. Mary College--run by Gene Daum
2. A US swimming camp held at University of New Hampshire
3. I also went to a camp in Cape Cod that was held at a merchant marine academy--i went there for a few years.

david.margrave
October 24th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Montana State University 1982
University of Nebraska 83 & 84

Donna
October 24th, 2007, 09:09 PM
I attended Charles Silva's camp (not sure of the year) and Doc Councilman's (79).

Lisa777
October 24th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Donna,

I swam with Doc Counsilman the summer of 1988. I was taking some classes at IU and they let anyone living there train with their team for free! I was so in awe of him. What a great guy!

onefish
October 25th, 2007, 07:08 AM
I went to the Olympic Development Training Camp in Squaw Valley in 1977. Two weeks. Pretty much an intense group training experience, plus in between morning and afternoon sessions we did all kinds human performance tests. Interesting to look back and see how far those ideas and measures have come. Spectacular setting and great visiting coaches.

DV

art_z
October 26th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I went to the one put on by Tennessee head coach John "JT" Trembley at Mercersberg Academy in Pennsylvania. I think they still hold that camp. I learned a ton and for the first few years, worked hard. As the years went by, it became more of a technique camp and less of a "training" camp.

I did that one as well from 81 to 83 when JT was coaching Mercersburg. I do recall crazy yardage, especially in the morning workouts. Overall though, it was the best training experience of my life. I loved going there; great staff.

Midas
October 26th, 2007, 08:32 PM
I did that one as well from 81 to 83 when JT was coaching Mercersburg. I do recall crazy yardage, especially in the morning workouts. Overall though, it was the best training experience of my life. I loved going there; great staff.

I completely agree. I worked my tail off the first couple of years, which I think were the last years he was coaching Mercersberg and the first years he was coaching UT (late 80s). It was a great experience.