PDA

View Full Version : Backstroke Flag Photo?

ALM
October 25th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Could someone point me toward a photo of a pool that shows the placement of the backstroke flags?

I asked the new manager of my fitness center today if they could install backstroke flags above the pool. He had no idea what I was talking about. I thought that if I could show him a photo it would make more sense.

Anna Lea

smontanaro
October 25th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Just go to http://images.google.com and search for "backstroke flags". There are lots there of flags in place (as well as flags apparently from pool supply catalogs).

Skip Montanaro

Blackbeard's Peg
October 25th, 2007, 10:58 PM
our team website, www.terrapinmasters.org, has a pic of our pool w/ the flags as our site background

stussy96
October 26th, 2007, 02:11 PM
I can't believe someone that runs a place with a pool doesn't know what backstroke flags are. :eek:

Unless it's a WAY tiny pool, then that's somewhat excusable.

ALM
October 26th, 2007, 03:43 PM
It's Bally. Need I say more?

Anna Lea

smontanaro
October 26th, 2007, 04:16 PM
I work out at LA Fitness from time-to-time. Same problem. No pace clock, no backstroke flags. Last time I asked they told me they were working on getting a pace clock, but no word yet on flags (or even a red line on the ceiling).

Skip

hofffam
October 26th, 2007, 05:13 PM
FYI:

The USA Swimming rules state that the backstroke flags should be 5 yards from the end of a 25 yard pool and 5 meters from the end of a short or long course meters pool.

TomBrooklyn
October 28th, 2007, 10:10 AM
On what is perhaps a related note, the Bally's I swim in has lane lines that alternate blue and white about 18" each but one end is solid blue for about 12'. I was wondering if they're made that way for a similar purpose as backstroke flags.

smontanaro
October 28th, 2007, 10:41 AM
When I went to swim my 3000 postal swim yesterday at Northwestern, we were set up for practice in the diving well just a couple hours before a varsity swimming/diving meet, so we had no backstroke flags (I tend to use the backstroke flags as turn indicators because we're in deep water and have no Ts on the bottom anyway). I went to set up some little cones so I could see something. The age group coach told me that the solid color at the end of the lines coincided with where the backstroke flags would be. Seeing that transition during a breath and realizing you're not going to get another purple-to-white section is a different matter. I found the cones I placed easier to use to identify the right spot.

As to whether or not the lines at your Bally's is accurately marked, I guess that's a different matter. In theory, it should be 15' from the start of the blue section to the wall. Is only one end solid?

Skip Montanaro

TomBrooklyn
October 28th, 2007, 11:18 AM
In theory, it should be 15' from the start of the blue section to the wall. Is only one end solid?

Edit: I measured the solid part of the lane lines. They are 15'.

Hi Skip.
Yes, only one end is solid. I was guestimating them at 12'--I'll get a more accurate measurement one of these days.

For what it's worth, the way they swim there though the lanes are one way. There are three lanes total, an 8' wide "loafer" lane and two 6' lap lanes. Lap swimmers go up the middle lane, dip under the lane lines and return along the wall lane. Lanes are 50' long.

3strokes
October 28th, 2007, 04:52 PM
FYI:

The USA Swimming rules state that the backstroke flags should be 5 yards from the end of a 25 yard pool and 5 meters from the end of a short or long course meters pool.

I don't do backstroke (or fly or breast) but regarding the flags being
5 yards away for a 25 yard pool and 5m away for ?cm pools, this kind of seems ridiculous to me. A swimmer's body (height or length in water) and distance per stroke (not SPL but distance per stroke) do not change with the type of pool, Y or M.
From the flags, the swimmer should be able to know (depending on the distance and his/her speed) whether he/she is one stroke or 1.2 strokes (just a for example. Your mileage/inch-age will vary) away from the wall, for each and every pool.

Just my :2cents: Canadian

ALM
October 28th, 2007, 06:31 PM
I don't do backstroke (or fly or breast) but regarding the flags being
5 yards away for a 25 yard pool and 5m away for ?cm pools, this kind of seems ridiculous to me. A swimmer's body (height or length in water) and distance per stroke (not SPL but distance per stroke) do not change with the type of pool, Y or M.

Hear, hear!!! I have always thought the exact same thing. And I have to deal with it on a weekly basis. In our workouts we swim a 25-yard course during the week and a 50-meter course on Saturdays.

It may not make as much difference for the better swimmers who take fewer strokes per length; BF says it only makes a difference of a partial stroke for him. But for a not-as-good swimmer like myself, it makes a difference of at least one and sometimes two strokes.

Anna Lea

strong440
October 29th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Ronald Reagan's first act as President was to cancel the USA's conversion schedule from yards to metric.