PDA

View Full Version : My swim video for your comments

okoban
October 31st, 2007, 04:06 PM
50 meters freestyle in SCM pool. I am at the 2nd lane with blue cap. I know that the recording's no good. By the way, the guy at the 3rd lane swimming like a rocket is an ex-olympian Ahmet Nakkaş (1984 LA Olympics).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gQmEdzeeOs

rtodd
October 31st, 2007, 07:04 PM
I think it looks real good. Maybe your hand entry should be a bit earlier and turn over a bit faster and more kick.

By the way, your dive entry blew away the former olympic guys, but you did see how fast he got up and swimming though (massive kick).

I'm a new swimmer so don't completely listen to me. Hopefully you can get Ande's comments.

pwolf66
October 31st, 2007, 08:09 PM
50 meters freestyle in SCM pool. I am at the 2nd lane with blue cap. I know that the recording's no good. By the way, the guy at the 3rd lane swimming like a rocket is an ex-olympian Ahmet Nakkaş (1984 LA Olympics).

Somethings I noticed:

1) Start - Looked OK what I saw of it. You might want to work on hitting a streamline and doing 2-3 SDK (streamlined dolphin kicks) to keep your dive speed up. Are you beginning your start by pulling your upper body off the blocks with your arms and THEN exploding with your legs? This more than anything is something that I saw frequently at my first Masters meet this Sunday.
2) Kick - Looks like a 4 beat kick. I would suggest that you work on increasing to a 6 beat kick for sprints
3) Breathing - for such a short race I noticed that you had 2 out and what looks like 4 back. That seems like quite a few breaths for a 50, work on trying to reduce your number of breaths as much as you can.
4) Strokes - you took 19 strokes out and 23 strokes back. Try to get a longer, more powerful stroke. It looks like your hand entry is at an angle with your thumb down (especially with your right arm). This is killing your catch and robbing you of a lot of stroke power. Drill on entering the water with your palm towards the bottom of the pool, this will maximize your catch and help to build a stronger stroke. Your hand should also be entering the water first, it appears that your forearm and hand enter at about the same time. This also kills your catch as the goal is to use your forearm AND your hand in the pulling portion of your stroke. Also, it does not appear that you are snapping the bottom of the stroke as I am not seeing you surge right before your hand exits the water.
5) Body position - your head is riding high in the water which appears to be driving your hips down. Work on getting a long streamlined body position with your hips on the same plane as your shoulders. This is encourage your body to slice thru the water with less resistance. Work on strengthening your core (abs and low back) which will also help to keep your hips from dropping.
6) Turn - Work on snapping your heels over faster. Plus try to make the turn so your feet hit the wall with your legs bent at about 90 degrees at the knee. This maximizes the speed-power balance in your legs to give you the best push off. And since you can push off from the wall faster than you can swim, hit a strong streamline and execute 2-3 SDKs.

OK, I realize this sounds like your form is a disaster but that is not the case, these are just little things that will help to polish the solid base that you have created.

Paul

Allen Stark
October 31st, 2007, 09:12 PM
The thing I noticed is how fast you came up on the turn,you barely made it to the flags.You had a pretty good push off and coming up that soon puts you in the backwash from your approach.2-3 SDKs would help that.

RecreationalSwimmer
November 1st, 2007, 11:24 AM
Maybe your hand entry should be a bit earlier

Good point. Catch the water with hand and forearm, and hurl yourself past the stroking arm with core muscles, elbow high. This is how I think it should be done, not necessarily how I'm doing it.

A tennis serve could serve as an analogy of the ideal freestyle stroke: High elbow paired with body core action supported by the lower extremities, the arm wrestling movement, and a follow-through in the end. Not a perfect analogy, but not that far-fetched?

okoban
November 2nd, 2007, 04:22 PM
Very valuable comments. I appreciate all of them especially the Paul's long explanations. Thak you!!:notworthy:

Midas
November 2nd, 2007, 06:56 PM
Nothing substantive to add, but I was amused by the official at the start who gets splashed and reacts with such surprise. Was this the first race of the day? I mean, didn't she realize she was gonna get splashed if she stood there? :rofl:

geochuck
November 3rd, 2007, 10:20 AM
I have tried to download this video but I am not able to I have a very slow connection to the internet. I would love to see it.

okoban
November 3rd, 2007, 12:56 PM
Midas, I did not realize that before, you're right. It's so funny to watch! By the way it was not the first race of the day.
When I watched my swim again, I realized that I am a bit slow like swimming 200 free instead of 50. Maybe the reason is that I trained for 200 free throughout the previous season. 50 would not be my first choice, but each swimmer had 3 choices to swim in each day.
In 2 days I swam 50m butterfly (00:36), 50 free (00:32), 100 free (01:14), 100 breast (01:35), 200 free (02:51) and 200 medley (03:15). Most of these are my best times since I started regular training in my 30's. I learned a lot in this forum from you guys and I love to be here:bouncing:. Thanks a lot :hug:

okoban
November 4th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Here are the pictutres of the first masters meet of Turkey:
http://www.gsyuzme.org/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=120&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0