PDA

View Full Version : No Pool!!!

PArob83
November 2nd, 2007, 12:54 AM
Im presently on a base overseas with no swimming pool...
Any suggestions on options so when i get back ill be ready to hit the water running...
and keep my sanity...
lol

Syd
November 2nd, 2007, 01:40 AM
Im presently on a base overseas with no swimming pool...
Any suggestions on options so when i get back ill be ready to hit the water running...
and keep my sanity...
lol

Get a transfer immediately. Malinger your way out of there if necessary.

Failing that I would take up cycling or running.

Syd

PArob83
November 2nd, 2007, 02:52 AM
Ill try a bike..., though Im not going to transfer out cause in 8months ill be able to payfor 6 years of college....
but when i get back ill probally be very wrinkled from the water cause ill be trying to make up for more lost swimming then i actually lost... lol
waterbed anyone?

FindingMyInnerFish
November 2nd, 2007, 03:32 AM
There wouldn't be any way you could lobby for a pool on your base... tell them of the fitness and morale improving benefits to soldiers of regular swimming.... and they do want you to stay in good shape, no? :banana: And it's the thanks you deserve for serving!

But if that doesn't work, the cycling/running option is probably your best bet. I've heard ab work also benefits swimming (ought to try it myself, but anyway that's what I've heard).

Midas
November 2nd, 2007, 07:00 PM
Weights and other dryland may be very beneficial during this time too.

Michael Heather
November 2nd, 2007, 07:09 PM
My coach in college did a study on just this subject. His results were that a routine of isometric exercises was very efficient in keeping your strength, if not feel for the water. Just remember to work your swimming muscle groups. If you have weights and ride bikes, all the better.

smontanaro
November 2nd, 2007, 08:23 PM
How about getting a stretch cord? Or if you're super dedicated (and have money to burn, which you probably don't) a Vasa trainer?

Skip Montanaro

tomtopo
November 2nd, 2007, 09:54 PM
Rob,
I'd like to suggest that you buy a couple good dvd's on swimming technique. Watch them and begin a daily routine of virtual swimming (performing technically correct strokes on land). I'd also like to suggest using EVF dry-land exercises. You can add them to your weight training and cardio workouts. Good Luck

PArob83
November 3rd, 2007, 03:35 AM
How about getting a stretch cord? Or if you're super dedicated (and have money to burn, which you probably don't) a Vasa trainer?

Skip Montanaro

Im checking into that though I have to see if thell ship here... then hope i can sell it before i leave:)