PDA

View Full Version : What keeps YOU motivated to swim?

Swan
November 3rd, 2007, 09:02 AM
I was at work yesterday and got asked an unusual question: How do I stay motivated to swim hours a day, every day, year after year?

I told the person that I would get back to them while I mulled over the answer. I thought back to this forum and suspect that most of the folks here compete and the competition motivates them. Me, I donít compete, in fact, I only know how to swim one stroke, at one speed, never stopping. I guess that I just like to swim and be alone for a couple of hours every day with my own thoughts. While that works for me, I doubt it will prove useful for many others. So, how about the rest of you: What motivates you to keep swimming?

Swan

Allen Stark
November 3rd, 2007, 09:07 AM
I compete,and that is certainly a motivation to workout as hard as I do,but really I swim because I am a swimmer.It is just part of my being.I am therefore I swim.:banana::banana::banana:

Swan
November 3rd, 2007, 09:15 AM
I compete,and that is certainly a motivation to workout as hard as I do,but really I swim because I am a swimmer.It is just part of my being.I am therefore I swim.

Perhaps you were a fish in a previous life?

Hopper
November 3rd, 2007, 09:26 AM
I swim because if I stop, it's too hard to get back in shape.

Hopper
www.swimvacation.com (http://www.swimvacation.com)

Ripple
November 3rd, 2007, 09:40 AM
I started swimming because some injuries from a car accident prevented me from doing activities that I really liked, such as running and cross-country skiiing. The motivation I had back then (9 years ago) was that it was the only form of exercise I could do that didn't make me feel as if an ice pick was being driven through my right knee, otherwise I didn't like it much, having always been a really bad swimmer.
Now I find dryland activities so hot, sweaty and uncomfortable. I like the weightless feeling of being in the water, and the desire to improve my technique or swim outdoors in new vacation destinations means there's always something to work on. No racing yet, but I won't rule it out in the future. I'd like to get a little more speed first,

Swan
November 3rd, 2007, 09:45 AM
Ripple:

I also love to swim at new/different places. One of life's challenges is to find somewhere to swim when travelling!

Swan

ViveBene
November 3rd, 2007, 10:25 AM
Motivation to keep on swimming

1) Feel better physically and mentally.
2) Injury prevention.
3) Fountain of youth.
4) Would feel guilty if I didn't!
5) Keep learning skills and getting better.
6) Appreciate being in a contrasting environment for part of every day.
7) I like to swim.
8) Meet new ppl in pool.
9) Expand horizons of what is possible for me.

Swan, there was a thread recently on people (especially at work) who just don't get it and ask idle questions or pass judgment, idly, on those who pursue something a bit out of their own experience. Based on thread responses, it seem rarely possible to have a real discussion, so I would just smile politely, murmur something general and innocuous ("It isn't that hard"), and change the topic.

Regards,
VB

spudfin
November 3rd, 2007, 10:46 AM
Swan
I have been thinking about this a great deal lately. My base motivation is the exercise factor. I require at least four hard workouts a week to maintain my health and sanity. I took up swimming two years ago to prepare for a triathlon and now all I ever do is swim. Running hurt too much and I got sick of being injured. During the last year when I was cycling I would rather have been swimming. So for the past two months all I have been doing is swimming. Lessons every week are included which has been a huge help. I find myself totally addicted. The physical rewards have become secondary to the learning curve and the HUGE sense of accomplishing something that has been very difficult to learn for me. No competitions........yet. Thinking about trying to learn the fly........at age 47. Sounds hard. I'm in!
Regards
Spudfin

Swan
November 3rd, 2007, 10:46 AM
Motivation to keep on swimming

Swan, there was a thread recently on people (especially at work) who just don't get it and ask idle questions or pass judgment, idly, on those who pursue something a bit out of their own experience. Based on thread responses, it seem rarely possible to have a real discussion, so I would just smile politely, murmur something general and innocuous ("It isn't that hard"), and change the topic.

Regards,
VB

VB,

The curiosity is now more for myself: What motivates people.

About the passing judgement part, I surely don't understand why I swim the way I do, but I just figure it's kind of like Allen said: "is just part of my being. I am therefore I swim." (Thanks Allen)

Swan
November 3rd, 2007, 11:00 AM
Hey Spudfin!

47 and taking up the fly? Good for you! I believe that you are my new role model!

Swan

Ripple
November 3rd, 2007, 11:28 AM
Swan
...Thinking about trying to learn the fly........at age 47. Sounds hard. I'm in!
Regards
Spudfin

I learned at 44/45, so it's certainly do-able. Strange as it may seem, I really enjoy fly. Having lots of different strokes to work on keeps it interesting and is a better overall workout.

Swan
November 3rd, 2007, 11:46 AM
I learned at 44/45, so it's certainly do-able. Strange as it may seem, I really enjoy fly. Having lots of different strokes to work on keeps it interesting and is a better overall workout.

Ripple:

I only know how to do one stroke. I'm thinking that now both you and Spudfin have motivated me. Perhaps it will be my summer project next year!

Thanks,

Swan

CreamPuff
November 3rd, 2007, 12:00 PM
Swimming is, hands down, the best high out there.

SwimStud
November 3rd, 2007, 12:54 PM
What motivates you to keep swimming?

Swan

That one day I will be reunited with my abdominal muscles...I just need to quit chocolate, pie and ice cream!

okoban
November 3rd, 2007, 01:15 PM
Because I still love it. I hope it will last forever. If not, I shall find something to replace it.

Allen Stark
November 3rd, 2007, 02:01 PM
Perhaps you were a fish in a previous life?

I must have been a frog actually(I'm a breaststroker:banana:)

Swan
November 3rd, 2007, 03:18 PM
I must have been a frog actually(I'm a breaststroker)

My apologies, I just noticed your avatar! I meant no offence suggesting you might have been a fish! <g>

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 3rd, 2007, 06:06 PM
I have no idea. It is something I've alway sdone. That's all I can say.

2fish&1whale
November 3rd, 2007, 09:53 PM
It's either swimming 5 days a week, or a return to the severe back pain I had for the 3 years before I got back into the pool....:cane:
I swear, I could do without the permanent stink of chlorine in my skin though......

any ideas on how to get rid of that?

Swan
November 4th, 2007, 05:53 AM
I swear, I could do without the permanent stink of chlorine in my skin though......

any ideas on how to get rid of that?

Well, I use UltraSwim Shampoo as a body wash and it gets most of the smell out.

Swan

ViveBene
November 4th, 2007, 07:45 AM
It's either swimming 5 days a week, or a return to the severe back pain I had ... I could do without the permanent stink of chlorine in my skin though....

Similar case here; decided to turn necessity into something I could look forward to and enjoy the achievements of.

For chlorine, I use good-quality shower gels or bath oils, sometimes enjoying the eau de chlorine first as a reminder of the time in the pool.

VB

2fish&1whale
November 4th, 2007, 10:50 AM
[quote=ViveBene;113195]Similar case here; decided to turn necessity into something I could look forward to and enjoy the achievements of.

For chlorine, I use good-quality shower gels or bath oils, sometimes enjoying the eau de chlorine first as a reminder of the time in the pool.

VB[/quote
that first wiff of chlorine in the morning is all i need sometimes to haul my butt to the pool....

cathlaur
November 4th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Because I have to

I have been off for one week with a bad cold and swimmers ear. I am cranky and getting the muffin top back already :thhbbb:. Swimming makes me happy and slimmer .

IT is all good.

I get to go swimming tomorrow I am soooooooooooo excited.

rtodd
November 4th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Nothing after my performance today.

flaswimm
November 4th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Well, swimming all my life, its one of the few exercise activities I actually enjoy doing.....even if I am clomping back and forth between pool ends. The visible weight loss and increased ability to do physical activities out of the pool that would make a regular person need to rest is definitely another point in swimmings corner. Oh yeah....and the smell of that sweet sweet chlorine :D.

Donna
November 4th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Time drops like I just had this weekend. 1:13.41 seconds off the 1500 SCM, 38.17 seconds off the 400 IM, 22.19 seconds off the 400 Fr, and alot of other time drops too.:bouncing:

Mighty Minnow
November 5th, 2007, 11:31 AM
I promised Patty, Joanne, Jody and Gerry I'd be there......if I don't show, they all call to see if I'm all right!

Slowswim
November 5th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I'm new to swimming. I started when I got hurt and couldn't run. My swimming progressed to Triathlons, but I only swam enough to survive the swim. After my tour in Afghanistan, I realized how absolutely fortunate we are the live in a free society that allows such public activities. So I decided to learn to swim and see where it takes me.

I had no problems being motivated when I had a live coach and a team to training with. Now, I swim alone (Gym pool but empty except for me) and would love to have someone even just to swim next to. I keep hoping that someone will join in but usually no.

So for now I believe I will swim in my first ever meet in mid December and that has me too scared not to go swim. That will let me take some time off for the holidays and then get ready for the new season. I currently only swim 3 strokes, but have started working on the basics of Fly and hope to learn it soon.

Swimming is so technical that there is always something to learn/work on.

indyswimbag
November 6th, 2007, 07:14 PM
The hope that ONE day before I die trying I might actually break 22min in the 1650!

david.margrave
November 7th, 2007, 12:34 AM
I have a sedentary day job so if I don't stay in an exercise routine I could wind up weighing 215 pounds again like I did in May (I'm 187 now). I never seemed to have time until one day I decided enough was enough and made fitness a priority in my life. I don't miss lugging those 28 pounds of fat around with me everywhere.

Josh Miller
November 7th, 2007, 07:03 AM
I just recently quit smoking so it helps me from going back to that. I am also happy with the way I look after only 2 months of swimming.

I plan on competing in a meet soon to see how my times compare with when I was in high school. I was actually going to compete this upcoming weekend but somethings came up so I am going to shoot for the next one.

ensignada
November 7th, 2007, 09:15 AM
It gives me a feeling of physical well-being and it doesn't get old. There are always old things to work on, new things to try and the occasional meet to see progress (or not).

Besides, all the cool people swim. :banana:

BabsVa
November 7th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Swan
Thinking about trying to learn the fly........at age 47. Sounds hard. I'm in!
Regards
Spudfin

Right there with you! - Babs

SwimStud
November 7th, 2007, 09:38 AM
Thinking about trying to learn the fly........at age 47. Sounds hard. I'm in!
Regards
Spudfin

Right there with you! - Babs

Heck yeah! Even a 25 of well executed Fly is a thing to be proud of.

poolraat
November 7th, 2007, 11:49 AM
.... No competitions........yet. Thinking about trying to learn the fly........at age 47. Sounds hard. I'm in!
Regards
Spudfin

Hey Spud the competitive bug will bite you then watch out.

I started swimming as a 48 year old with no prior competitive swimming background, swam my first meet ever at 49. I started to learn fly at 51 (still learning but it's getting better) and now swim all strokes in workouts and meets. It's a blast!! :banana::banana:

Blackbeard's Peg
November 7th, 2007, 01:10 PM
How do I stay motivated to swim hours a day, every day, year after year?

some non-competitive motivations for me:
pretty women wearing form-fitting clothing
losing weight/staying in shape/being healthy
being able to eat almost whatever i want
seeing friends

i do like to compete too, so meets like Zones or Nationals, OW swims and Tri's motivate me too.

bud
November 7th, 2007, 01:51 PM

staying out of a wheelchair for as long as possible

(discreetly) oggling the the hot swimmer babes :blush:

the studmuffin body i get from it :D
... and the subsequent attention from the ladies :rolleyes:
...... though, unfortunately, not enough from the hot swimmer babes :eek:

it helps me keep my wig on straight ;)

art_z
November 7th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I swim because if I stop, it's too hard to get back in shape.

Hopper
www.swimvacation.com (http://www.swimvacation.com)

+1000

MAC swimmer
November 8th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I played soccer and lacrosse in high school and college. Then I raced bicycles for 5 years in Seattle. I raced track, road and cyclocross. Then I had three kids so I can't train 12 hours a week anymore.

Back in high school, I would see the swimmers come in to the cafeteria after morning workout and eat breakfast--huge breakfasts. I knew, I just knew that no matter how hard the field sports were--the running, the sprints, etc, it was nothing compared to what the swimmers went through. To me, the swimmers were super human guys who ate pain and didn't care about the cold.

I thought I knew what a tough workout was until I started masters swimming. I was wrong. Being a part of this group is very motivating.

johnhughes
November 8th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I like how swimming doesn't hurt my knees, back, and right ankle like running... and as my old age group coach Sam Jones said to me after he came back to SCY nationals after hip replacements: "John, you quit, you die!" Thanks, Sam! :bump:

irefusetogivemyname
November 8th, 2007, 11:14 PM
It's all about setting a goal. When I was five years old, my goal was to beat a kid named Clay. He was faster, more popular, and funnier than me. Everyone like him, as nobody liked me. He had T16 times and AAAA's when he was 10. But when I started to work my ass off, doing 100 pushups a night, I got stronger when i was 13. I finally beat him. Everyone was stunned by the fact that I beat "the great clay". I wasn't suprised, however. I knew that since i worked hard and had a good attitude everyday to swim practice, I would eventually become extremely fast and would eventually beat clay.
In conclusion, using a person is a good way to motivate yourself. It has definitely helped me and I hope it will help you. Good luck

P.S. Im new to this site...I was wondering whether anyone could tell me how to post a new thread. thanks.

ALM
November 8th, 2007, 11:24 PM
P.S. Im new to this site...I was wondering whether anyone could tell me how to post a new thread. thanks.

At the top of the page, click on "General Swimming-Related Discussions"

At the top of that page you'll see a button in the upper-left-hand corner titled "New Thread"

Anna Lea

PArob83
November 8th, 2007, 11:30 PM
what keeps me motivated...
the nice long hot shower right when i get out from the pool.
Though sometimes if im tired or sore.. this does not yeild a long workout...