PDA

View Full Version : Swimming-related nutrition

ViveBene
November 3rd, 2007, 10:46 AM
As there was some interest in swimming-related nutrition, please post comments to this thread. Diets, timing of consumption in relation to swimming, metabolism, and links to nutrition sites for athletes would seem appropriate.

Regards, VB

flaswimm
November 3rd, 2007, 02:59 PM
Been stockpiling nutrition/diet info since I joined here, so far its helped me a lot with my semi-diet, lost close to 10 lbs already watching what I eat, swimming 4-5 days a week, and using a food watch website! Hope it helps whoever needs it:

- Pretty good .pdf file swimshark sent me, describes caloric intake timing before and after swimming and the basics on carbs, protein, etc.

http://www.mediafire.com/?emmzltt2bhc

- Love this site, can search and enter the food you ate for the day and it breaks down your caloric intake needed for the day. Carbs, protein, fat broken down in a graph form and helps you set weight loss goals.

http://fitday.com/

- Basic nutrition site explaining what the diff Vitamins, protein, fats are. Pretty standard nutrition tips all around.

http://www.nutristrategy.com/

- Found this here that describes what all that junk is in the dietary supplement pills.

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=5624

Hope this helps folks out there as much as it is me :D

ViveBene
November 4th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Congratulations on the weight loss and big motivation! :applaud:
Cool sites, thanks.

VB

ALM
November 6th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Seeing how Thanksgiving is rapidly approaching, here is the best sweet potato recipe ever. And it can be made in advance; I have made it through Step 4, then refrigerated it and baked it the next day.

I have never added the optional ground red pepper. And I sometimes microwave the sweet potatoes (like a baked potato) instead of boiling them, then scoop out the insides after they cool.

=================================
Streuseled Sweet Potato Casserole
from COOKING LIGHT magazine

Add 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper if you want to add a bit of heat to this sweet dish.

INGREDIENTS:

14 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato (about 5 pounds)
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Cooking spray
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup chopped pecans

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Place potato in a Dutch oven, and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 12 minutes or until tender. Drain.

3. Combine the half-and-half and next 4 ingredients (half-and-half through egg) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add potato to egg mixture; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Spoon potato mixture into a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.

4. Combine flour and sugar in a food processor; pulse to combine. Add chilled butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal. Stir in pecans; sprinkle over potato mixture.

5. Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 25 minutes or until the topping is browned and the potatoes are thoroughly heated.

NUTRITIONAL INFO:
CALORIES 250 (23% from fat); FAT 6.3g (sat 2.4g, mono 2.5g, poly 1g);
PROTEIN 3.3g; CARB 46.1g; FIBER 2.7g; CHOL 22mg;
IRON 1.2mg; SODIUM 149mg; CALC 49mg

YIELD: 18 servings (serving size: about 1/2 cup)

ViveBene
November 7th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Thanksgiving certainly poses a challenge to the weight loss and weight maintenance good effects of a regular swim workout. I address the problem by eating something at the usual times during the day so I do not face a hunger binge at 4 p.m. By myself, I will have a couple of slices of turkey and a very modest amount of relish from the deli, then go for a long walk or to the zoo. When dining with others, I find the light lunch at usual time makes it very easy to control the portions I put on my plate. I can enjoy the food and social occasion without overeating.

And it is certainly a joy to get back in the pool after an enforced absence!

Do others have strategies for surviving without adding extra pounds? Or do you enjoy the eating, then promise to swim harder, faster, and longer? :cool:

Regards, VB

smontanaro
November 7th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Do others have strategies for surviving without adding extra pounds?

For me:

(Attempts at) moderation
Look in the mirror
Step on the scales
Pay attention (for a change) when my wife says, "You know Honey, you don't really need a third piece of pumpkin pie." :smooch:
Go The Distance (http://www.usms.org/fitness/content/gothedistance)

Skip Montanaro

swimshark
November 7th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Flaswim, thanks for the fitday link. I'm going to try to do it to lose about 15 lbs. Congrats on your weight loss, too.

Alison

ViveBene
November 7th, 2007, 08:58 AM
"Go the Distance" -- wish I had known about it, as I swam many extra miles this year (what happens when one acquires a coach). So next year.

Pumpkin pie is much better cold, I find! Sneak down to the fridge at 11:38 p.m., spork in hand ...

Regards, VB

poolraat
November 7th, 2007, 11:42 AM
"You know Honey, you don't really need a third piece of pumpkin pie." :smooch:

I've wanted to say this but then my better sense takes over and I stifle. :laugh2:

But seriously, The holidays are especially tough because my pool closes between Thanksgiving and mid January and it's too cold out to go run or walk and I refuse to do the treadmill thing. So I get back in the pool in January with an additional 10-15 pounds of unwanted ballast. Takes a few months (each year a little longer) to get rid of it.

ViveBene
November 7th, 2007, 11:49 AM
The holidays are especially tough because my pool closes between Thanksgiving and mid January ... So I get back in the pool in January with an additional 10-15 pounds of unwanted ballast.

Maybe you'll find something useful in this thread to help during that difficult period!

Regards, VB

smontanaro
November 7th, 2007, 12:09 PM
... my pool closes between Thanksgiving and mid January and it's too cold out to go run or walk and I refuse to do the treadmill thing.

Maybe invest in a VASA trainer or a good stretch cord?

Skip

quicksilver
November 7th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Even though he looks like Santa...this guy knows his stuff.

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/ART02705

christineL
November 7th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Row - it is a great thing to have in the house when it is cold outside. Try this: www.concept2.com There are challenges that help to keep us on toes - http://www.concept2.com/us/motivation/challenges/current_ongoing.asp I'm on FreeSpirit team that strives to earn more meters than the other teams. Try it!

Food....it is easy for me...I just eat my favorite vegetables and fruits instead of snacks that I'm not too nuts about. For example, I opt for radishes instead of popcorn because radishes are more delicious than popcorn. Seafood is so delicious and "cheaper" in calories that I put them in my salad which then tastes more delectable than calories packed and not so tasty pizza.

dorothyrde
November 8th, 2007, 12:36 PM
A holiday tip that is always helpful to me. When deciding to chose something that is calorie laden,full of fat, decide whether this is something you can have anytime, or it is only around that day. So mashed potatoes, who needs them, easy to make, you can have them(in moderation) anytime you want. But Grandma's noodles, maybe only are there on Thanksgiving, so if chose that for your starch instead of some starch that is available any old day. This and lots and lots of portion control, drinking water, filling up on veggies help me.

ViveBene
November 13th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Any more holiday tips? National Gluttony Day draws near. This should pose torments for people who discipline the flesh as much as swimmers do.

One November, when extremely hungry and penniless, I came across a pumpkin sitting forlornly by the side of the road and took it home and prepared it lovingly and quite enjoyed the fruits of my labor. (Real pumpkin pie.)

Regards, VB

christineL
November 13th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Awww, I do not blame you for taking in a pumpkin! I'd make delicious pumpkin soup, pasta with pumpkin, red bell pepper, shittake mushroom, and chicken or vegetable broth sauce, and pumpkin pie! The first two meal is low in fat.

What I do every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas is to take out as much meat from the recipe. For example, there is a recipe from the South that calls for boneless turkey stuffed with boneless chicken, then pesto smeared, then sausage stuffing, then what else? I couldn't believe the receipe :shakeshead::confused:when I saw it that I made my own stuffing with stuffing, walnut, dried apricot, dried prunes, and lots of rosemary which is much healthier than the Southern receipe.

I am so tempted to take in homeless pumpkins right now. :banana:

ViveBene
November 13th, 2007, 10:31 AM
The triply stuffed critter shows up regularly in newspaper columns (along the lines of "Whatever were they thinking?").

I like the notion of pumpkin and pasta dish with bell peppers and Shitake mushrooms. It's making me pretty hungry right now. Should be fairly easy to adopt some tender, impressionable pumpkins right about now.

VB

The Fortress
November 20th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Whereas a sprinter should eat higher amounts
of protien as soon as possible after a
sprint set, or competition, followed by
balanced foods later in the day.

The timing is the crucial part. Diluted
electrolytes mixed with water during an
intense set can accelerate recovery times,
but appears to have limited benefit when
your body is at rest. Perhaps a
nutritionist can explain why that is...

Also, a good book, "Eat right for your
blood type" has been incredibly helpful.
Apparently, scientists have tested different
types of blood in a dish and found that
certain foods actually coagulate in the
different samples, making it much harder
to digest... This has a profound impact
on your ability to recover from a good
work-out. Once you switch your food
sources, you'll be amazed by the physical
changes.

I'm so bad about post-workout recovery. I know I should bring some accelerade to the pool and eat protein right after. But I usually amble in with my bottle of water and drive around the rest of the day ... Better go back to Luna bars in the car ...

I had no idea about the blood type issue. Interesting. May check into this as I have RH negative blood.

david.margrave
November 20th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Let's see what the MDs or any dietitians here say about this blood type diet business. I'm skeptical!