PDA

View Full Version : My first IM event in 19 years

pwolf66
November 4th, 2007, 08:08 PM
For your comment. I have a few things that I have noticed from the video that I need to work on. I welcome any and all comments. I am in the lane at the top. And BTW, the guy in the blue cap who beat me is 18 years younger that me :thhbbb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2a92Q7HF10

Paul

meldyck
November 4th, 2007, 08:26 PM
The fly leg looked good, Paul. Are you a butterflier?

pwolf66
November 4th, 2007, 08:32 PM
The fly leg looked good, Paul. Are you a butterflier?

Used to be. Actually my three main events back in the day were 50,100 Free and 200 Fly.

My Fly leg is the only thing on that video that I was actually satisfied with. Still needs work but since I've only been back in the pool since 15 Sep of this year, I need to cut myself some slack.

On Back my stroke rate was too slow, on Breast - I'm swimming it old school style - working on the 'new' breaststroke but it's gonna take time. and on my Free my strokes were too short and the kick was weak. Other than that :thhbbb: it was a good first event in my first meet in over 19 years.

I had planned on having videos of all my events but I forgot to make sure that there was a memory card in the camera so this video filled up the limited internal memory. Ah well. But I was happy with the quality since I was in Lane 1 and my wife was in the spectator area on the complete opposite side of the pool.

Paul

SwimStud
November 4th, 2007, 08:35 PM
I saw this live and Paul's Fly looked awesome. If I had known I would have asked for some tuition...pre races...oh well next time...

pwolf66
November 4th, 2007, 08:42 PM
Thanks, SS.

Sorry I seemed like a ringer. I honestly had NO idea what to expect. I thought I was dead meat after Fortress put up that 1:07. So I decided to swim as hard as I could and if it meant risking sinking to the bottom of the pool, so be it. :D

Paul

pwolf66
November 5th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Well, gee. No comments? I know it wasn't that good :dunno:

Paul

TheGoodSmith
November 5th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Fly does look good..... but then again you better look good on your first length of any race or your toast ..... :-)

Fly to back turn is crucial. You have to establish discipline in this race very early on. You must take the lead early and you did. It's actually not a 100yds .... its 4 x 25s blast ! Stay under longer on back when you're kicking...... maximize the cheatin' dolphin kicks since you're a flyer. Come up half way... no less! You are correct...... your back turnover is too slow. Your back to breast turn was slow..... you need to rifle it !. Lock and load off that wall and nail your cheating dolphin kick on the pull out since you are a flyer. Accelerate into the wall more on this turn for momemtum.

Your breast is as bad as mine..... it sucks. Just get through it. I can't help you there. I try not to panic and keep it long out front.

Free...... kick like hell .... flail your arms and finish on ego not training.

It's a great event !

John Smith

The Fortress
November 5th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Well, gee. No comments? I know it wasn't that good :dunno:

Paul

You know, I couldn't see you that well in the video. You were too far away. I missed watching your IM in person because I was in the warm down pool. I did see your 50 fly and 50 free though and your 25s. I think your fly looks great! In both fly and free, you have a nice relaxed recovery over the water. Nice undulation. You look like a natural. Could maybe flatten it out just a touch and add some SDKs. From what I could tell, you do have that old fashioned BR. But who needs evilstroke for more than a 25 anyway? :laugh2: Get out as far as you can with a whomping dolphin kick on the pullout so you minimize how many strokes you actually have to take. You could probably work the turns better. Gotta blast off each turn.

pwolf66
November 5th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Your back to breast turn was slow..... you need to rifle it !.

John Smith

Tried a flip turn on Back to Breast. Jury's still out on that one. Needs work. I'm going to drill them some more in practice and if I can't get more comfortable with them in the next week, it's back to a more normal turn.

Thanks for the comments.

Paul

pwolf66
November 5th, 2007, 06:00 PM
You know, I couldn't see you that well in the video. You were too far away. I missed watching your IM in person because I was in the warm down pool. I did see your 50 fly and 50 free though and your 25s. I think your fly looks great! In both fly and free, you have a nice relaxed recovery over the water. Nice undulation. You look like a natural. Could maybe flatten it out just a touch and add some SDKs. From what I could tell, you do have that old fashioned BR. But who needs evilstroke for more than a 25 anyway? :laugh2: Get out as far as you can with a whomping dolphin kick on the pullout so you minimize how many strokes you actually have to take. You could probably work the turns better. Gotta blast off each turn.

Yeah, I agree. One thing that was very weak in that meet was hitting a tight streamline. I was getting good push offs with my legs but I was killing my speed with lousy streamlines. I've been trying to work on that in practice but I'm still just trying to survive an entire practice so that's not going so well :mad: but I'm trying to hit as many tight streamlines as I can off the starts and turns.

I'm swimming the 50 free, 100 IM and 50 Fly at the Carol Chidester Memorial Swim Series at UMBC this Saturday so we'll see if I have improved my technique any. I hope so as I am going for our teams record in 40-44 50 Fly. Just need to knock another .6 off and I've got it :woot: 50 Free will take a small miracle to manage as that is over a second. And 100 IM will require dropping over 2 seconds so that will be a definate challenge.

Paul

johnhughes
November 5th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Hi, Paul: it was a nice sprint IM and I can't believe you have not done one in so many years... my comment is about the freestyle - If you had skipped that last breath and driven into the wall, I think you would have gained .2 - .4 seconds. Keep up the good work!

TheGoodSmith
November 5th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Just do a bucket spin turn (i.e. classic back turn) from back to breast. It's not worth doing a complete reverse flip. It takes about as long to get over the top and it consumes too much Oxygen.

John Smith

The Fortress
November 5th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Just do a bucket spin turn (i.e. classic back turn) from back to breast. It's not worth doing a complete reverse flip. It takes about as long to get over the top and it consumes too much Oxygen.

John Smith

I did my first roll over flip turn on the 100 IM at that meet. It was only half successful as the touchpads were moving around and it freaked me out in warm up. (Also, as Paul rightfully told me, the fretting about the turn made my backstroke leg way too slow. I was out a full second too slow, I think.)

BUT, I think the flip is much faster. At least for me. I'm much slower doing that old bucket spin thing. But Paul is very tall, so maybe the flip would be slower for him. Jeff Roddin sure did a dazzling one!

pwolf66
November 5th, 2007, 06:11 PM
John: yeah, I saw that same thing when I saw the video. That is all about conditioning there. That should take care of itself as I get in better swim shape. What I am working towards is 1 breath after 8 strokes and then hard to the wall. Body is still not fully with the plan yet :dunno: And, nope, that was the first swim event (except the parent's relay in the summer) since December 12th, 1987.

TGS: Yeah, I am feeling that you are right. Especially right now as I need all the Oxygen I can get in these races. The more I think about it, that flip turn has to go. But it felt so coool to be able to do one :woot:

Paul

The Fortress
November 5th, 2007, 09:45 PM
I'm swimming the 50 free, 100 IM and 50 Fly at the Carol Chidester Memorial Swim Series at UMBC this Saturday so we'll see if I have improved my technique any. I hope so as I am going for our teams record in 40-44 50 Fly. Just need to knock another .6 off and I've got it :woot: 50 Free will take a small miracle to manage as that is over a second. And 100 IM will require dropping over 2 seconds so that will be a definate challenge.

Paul

Good luck Paul! Streamlining takes practice. You'll get there. May I recommend some shooters? :joker: (I too swam the 100 IM in the Sprint Classic as my first ever masters event 2 years ago. All I could think about was whether my goggles would stay on ...)

Oh, BTW, UMBC is a crap pool whereas GMU is pretty fast. That will effect your time. Don't know if I'd expect big drops there, but you can get some good practice!

swimshark
November 6th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Paul, looked good. Sorry I missed it in person. I, like Fort, was in the warm-down pool. On the breast, try to maximize your glide a bit more. Other than that, everyone else has some good ideas.

Edited: good luck this weekend!

Alison

Slowswim
November 6th, 2007, 09:45 AM
May I recommend some shooters? :joker:

Fort: What are shooters? I'm guessing their not:drink:.

The Fortress
November 6th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Fort: What are shooters? I'm guessing their not:drink:.

Shooters = 25s underwater in a superman streamline position with a dolphin kick. They help with streamlining and SDKs. I do them on my back, front and both sides, with and without a monofin. They're fun!

pwolf66
November 6th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Shooters=Pain

Paul

Slowswim
November 6th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Shooters = 25s underwater in a superman streamline position with a dolphin kick. They help with streamlining and SDKs. I do them on my back, front and both sides, with and without a monofin. They're fun!

Thanx, I'll give them a try. How many and what is the rest Interval? I'll be in Crystal City all next week so I am once again on the search for a pool in DC. I guess I'll pony up the $20 and use the "Y".:shakeshead:

swimshark
November 6th, 2007, 03:50 PM

Hmmm. guess what we had ot do in practice today? Shooters of all 4 strokes. I had a hard time with back and breast. My head kept wanting to come up.

Alison

The Fortress
November 6th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Hmmm. guess what we had ot do in practice today? Shooters of all 4 strokes. I had a hard time with back and breast. My head kept wanting to come up.

Alison

Flutter kick shooters without fins are the hardest!

Hubby video'd my 50 fly, but I don't have the right DV wire to download it to my mac. I watched the tapes of my 25s on the camcorder though. He mistakenly taped my teammate-coach, not me, on the 25 free. We're about the same size, but really .... :doh:

My fly breakouts are absolutely dreadful. :cry:

swimshark
November 7th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Flutter kick shooters without fins are the hardest!

Hubby video'd my 50 fly, but I don't have the right DV wire to download it to my mac. I watched the tapes of my 25s on the camcorder though. He mistakenly taped my teammate-coach, not me, on the 25 free. We're about the same size, but really .... :doh:

My fly breakouts are absolutely dreadful. :cry:

I was okay with the free shooters.

That's funny about your husband taping your coach. Something my husband would do, too.

Alison

Jeff Commings
November 7th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Paul, I finally got around to watching your race, and I agree with everyone else about your backstroke turnover. It looked like you were doing a 400 IM. Like John said, you have to think of the 100 IM as four individual 25. Swim them all out. Don't use any stroke to recover. You might do that for portions of the 200 IM and a good part of the 400, but never in the 100.

As a 100 IM fanatic who has poor dolphin-kicking skills, I always focus on what my body has to do when it's not underwater. So, I do lots of 15-meter sprints. Don't cheat and kick the whole way. Come up early on fly, back and free and work on increasing arm tempo.