PDA

View Full Version : Insane workout spotted

art_z
November 4th, 2007, 09:54 PM
I was at Villanova for the VFM sunday workout and it looks like one of the workouts for a Villanova female swimmer was left lying on a dry erase board. Not for the squeamish:

2000 cruise
10x300 on 3:40
10x200 on 2:30
10x100 on 1:15
4x500 on 6:00 (iirc). #3 hold under 5:40, #4 hold under 5:19

I got tired just reading it.

tomtopo
November 10th, 2007, 09:39 PM
An insane set designed to increase your pain tolerance isn't fun but to become a champion you need them.

swimr4life
November 11th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Thank-you sir, may I have another!:doh::notworthy: That is a tough workout for upper age group/Sr. group kids. Even togher for most masters! BORING! She must be a distance swimmer?

JimRude
November 11th, 2007, 09:15 PM
IMHO, that is a "modest" aerobic workout (10,000 yards) for a decent distance swimmer... not that I would attempt it now :bolt:

Blackbeard's Peg
November 13th, 2007, 08:58 AM
yikes, that has ouchy wouchy written all over it.

i like my modified version better...

2000 cruise/warmup
1x300 3:40,
2x200 2:30,
3x100 1:15
4x500 6:00

5k yards, probably ~75 minutes
knowing me, i'd probably add a bit of rest before the 500s to go on the top. And there's no way I am going anywhere near 5:19 on any one of the four of them. I'm lucky to do that in a meet at this juncture.

NotVeryFast
November 13th, 2007, 09:06 AM
If that is SCY, I reckon I could complete it okay, though not sure about finishing off with 500yds faster than 5:19, I can't really relate to a time for 500yds, I'm just adding 10% to the other intervals and know I could make those SCM. I'm male, not female, but female elite swimmers are faster than me, so SCY a good female swimmer should find that session pretty easy.

If it's LCM, it's pretty quick.

art_z
November 13th, 2007, 09:13 AM
it was SCY.

i recon I could do it with a little break between sets, but like others mention, my 500s are not coming in anywhere near 5:19 .. more like 5:50

swimr4life
November 13th, 2007, 04:13 PM
If that is SCY, I reckon I could complete it okay, though not sure about finishing off with 500yds faster than 5:19, I can't really relate to a time for 500yds, I'm just adding 10% to the other intervals and know I could make those SCM. I'm male, not female, but female elite swimmers are faster than me, so SCY a good female swimmer should find that session pretty easy.

If it's LCM, it's pretty quick.

Maybe a good age group senior level female.....I don't know too many Masters level females that could do a 5:19 at the end of that set!!

GGS5T
November 15th, 2007, 06:34 AM
Many years back I was coaching at an age-group club. On a Thursday we hired a college pool and a nearby rival club followed us in to start their session, as we finished our training.

I used to write similar sets on the notice board at the end of the pool. My swimmers watched as the parents from the other club read through the programme. They believed it every time.

swimshark
November 15th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Many years back I was coaching at an age-group club. On a Thursday we hired a college pool and a nearby rival club followed us in to start their session, as we finished our training.

I used to write similar sets on the notice board at the end of the pool. My swimmers watched as the parents from the other club read through the programme. They believed it every time.

LOL! That's pretty good.

Alison

MAC swimmer
November 16th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Holy crap....Makes 3000 yards seem like a warmup....

FindingMyInnerFish
November 16th, 2007, 04:58 PM
My experience w/ the Villanova workouts is that they're pretty intense as well. Art_z, aren't you in one of the faster lanes where they do about 7-8k yards... pretty serious swimming!

I've been happy if I can complete half the yards called for, but I am a SLOOOOOOOW swimmer.

Haven't had a chance to get to the 'nova workouts yet this fall... too much on my plate lately... but I'll try to get there in December/ January. I'm not fast but like the fact that I can get a two-hour workout in.

art_z
November 16th, 2007, 05:11 PM
My experience w/ the Villanova workouts is that they're pretty intense as well. Art_z, aren't you in one of the faster lanes where they do about 7-8k yards... pretty serious swimming!

That would be me, with the AZ tattoo on my calf. I swim in the lane 3 or 4 with Vibeke and that crew. Sunday was an even 7k. Come say hello on Sunday :)

Slowswim
November 21st, 2007, 02:12 PM
... but I am a SLOOOOOOOW swimmer.

Hey, FMIF you are very close to Trademark infringement!:thhbbb: