PDA

View Full Version : My first kids meet

swimshark
November 12th, 2007, 07:50 AM
I survived. Although my nerves almost got the best of me. Swimming in front of those kids was very nerve wracking to me. I was there all day. Arrived at 6:45 to time. Rested and cheered from noon until 3 and then warmed-up. I took 3 sec off my 400 IM time. I was pleased with that but it didn't feel as smooth as I wanted. I blame that on the long day. :cry:

The blocks at this pool were horrible. Imagine the platform being half size of normal front to back. They were normal width but only about 6 inches deep. You couldn't even get a good track start. Luckily with the 400 the start doesn't matter as much. As I was on the block for the dive-over start the touch pad came off. Nothing like a delay while on this time platform.

Went to workout today and we did a nice long 4400. Stretched everything out and now I feel good.

Alison

The Fortress
November 12th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Kudos, Alison on the great 400 IM! Sorry about the blocks. I survived my first USA meet too. I didn't even scratch the 100 fly because I didn't want to embarass my kid. I'm not swimming 4400 to stretch out though. :rolleyes:

christineL
November 12th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Wow! :notworthy: I have not signed up for the first meet in January! My girls are begging me to go! I told them that I will have terrible time but I will get to experience what they went through when they went to their first meet. My youngest girl had a crying fit because she came in last. I told that they'd do better at each meet they go to - they'd give me dirty look. Now, it is my turn to go....:bolt::help:

swimshark
November 12th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Fort, I didn't know that was your first one. I thought you had done one before. Congrats on surviving and not scratching. Your times were awesome!

Christine, I hope you do a meet and have fun with it. I loved cheering for the team since we don't do that as much in masters. It was nice getting cheered for, too. Sadly no :wine: afterwards. hee-hee

Alison

pwolf66
November 12th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Way to go Allison!!!!!! I noticed that you beat someone half your age. Way to go!!!!!!! Just getting up there is worth a huge atta-girl.

Paul

poolraat
November 12th, 2007, 04:48 PM
I'm entered in a kid's meet this weekend. Psych sheet/heat sheets were posted today. Barring total disaster, at least I won't get a DFL. I'll be in the same heat as my 15 yo son in the 50 & 100 free. There's going to be a lot of trash talkin' goin on in our household over the next few days.

cathlaur
November 13th, 2007, 07:37 AM
Congrats Alison.

WOW you did great. I have not yet signed up for a meet. I am still down with this ear grrrrrrrrrrrr

Katie

swimshark
November 13th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Go pool rat!!

Sorry to hear the ear is still bad Katie.

Paul the one I beat is my lane mate (me shrinking down now)

Alison

art_z
November 13th, 2007, 03:43 PM
I don't think I could race a kids meet. I get nervous enough just doing lactates with the college kids I train with. Its definitely evident that my lack of practice in starts hurts. I'm lucky if I go off the blocks 10 times in a year.

funkyfish
November 14th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Just finished reading this thread, I'm gathering that for those who swam in age group meets the experience was a positive one overall? I'm asking because I'm going to start swimming with an age group team (this afternoon in fact). I haven't really thought about doing a meet, but since master's meets are few and far between I might consider it. We'll see how the practice goes first.
:banana:

swimshark
November 14th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Art, my nerves were so bad that I thought I was going to throw up, several times. That's not like me, either. I didn't want to get up there and look like a fool in front of these teens that I swim with. the great thing is that several, who don't normally talk to me, started talking to me.

Funky, yes, the meet was a positive experience. I practice with the kids team, too. I have for over a year and love it. They push me harder than any other team I've been on. The kids are really nice (those that normally talk to me) and the coaches are great. They treat me like the kids so yes, I get yelled at at times, too. :) I hope you find it to be positive, too. Next step is to do a meet with them.

Alison

christineL
November 14th, 2007, 03:40 PM
:bouncing: let me know how it goes!!!!

One of my friends told me that she'd come if and only if no one else comes with her. She fears :joker: that someone will laugh at her.

The Fortress
November 14th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Just finished reading this thread, I'm gathering that for those who swam in age group meets the experience was a positive one overall? I'm asking because I'm going to start swimming with an age group team (this afternoon in fact). I haven't really thought about doing a meet, but since master's meets are few and far between I might consider it. We'll see how the practice goes first.
:banana:

I'd say it was a positive experience. I don't train with a kids' team. I signed up for the meet because I was going to be there anyway watching my kid. Now that she's aged up, we can swim in the same session. I have trouble getting to many local or other masters meets because of my kids' events. This was a convenient way to combine cheering for my kid and her team and getting in a couple swims myself. I swam an event I rarely get a chance to swim. The atmosphere was low key -- it was an "open" meet with no QTs, so pretty mellow. (Sorry for the nerves Alison!)

Kids seemed to think it was interesting. Masters are a rarity at our USA meets. But, according to my daughter, the kids on her team said "Cool, I didn't know old people swam and competed." :lmao: Maybe this is the way to get out the word that masters swimming exists as a sport?

Perhaps, as Alison notes, there was a little pressure not to mess up big time or have the piano fall dramatically in front of the kiddies. (I don't do many starts either, Art.) But it was worth it to get some more meet experience and times. Wouldn't do it all the time, but every once in awhile seems fun. Give it a try -- especially if there aren't others masters meets available.

I have heard that some parents are irritated when elite masters swim at important USA meets, sometimes taking a kids' place during finals. This would not be my issue, as senior QTs are outrageously hard, but I think those parents should get over it.

swimshark
November 15th, 2007, 07:28 AM
I have heard that some parents are irritated when elite masters swim at important USA meets, sometimes taking a kids' place during finals. This would not be my issue, as senior QTs are outrageously hard, but I think those parents should get over it.

I agree. Their times are hard to get. The Open meets are the best since anyone can compete.

Alison

poolraat
November 15th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Originally Posted by The Fortress

The Nevada State SCY Championships are open to all who make the QT's but a few years ago they changed the rules and now swimmers over 19 do not advance to finals. They can only swim prelims. The reason was supposedly to keep kids from being bumped out of finals but probably had more to do with scoring and teams losing points to adult swimmers.

Rob Copeland
November 15th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by The Fortress

The Nevada State SCY Championships are open to all who make the QT's but a few years ago they changed the rules and now swimmers over 19 do not advance to finals. They can only swim prelims. The reason was supposedly to keep kids from being bumped out of finals but probably had more to do with scoring and teams losing points to adult swimmers.The over 19 rule seems to be meant to apply against college athletes. Iíve heard a number of grumbling parents when Georgia or GA Tech swimmers show up to the Georgia state meet; especially when these Olympic medalists or NCAA All-American are from outside the state.

Personally (now that my son is one of THOSE college swimmers), I think it is great to see these swimmers raise the level of competition.

knelson
November 15th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Anyone who complains about another swimmer "taking their kid's spot" in finals definitely needs to get over it. The swimmers that deserves a spot are the swimmers that swam the fastest in prelims, regardless of age or where they live. If they are eligible to swim in the meet, they should be eligible to swim finals as well.

SwimStud
November 15th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Anyone who complains about another swimmer "taking their kid's spot" in finals definitely needs to get over it. The swimmers that deserves a spot are the swimmers that swam the fastest in prelims, regardless of age or where they live. If they are eligible to swim in the meet, they should be eligible to swim finals as well.

...but Kirk that means little Timmy or Suzy might not be the all conquering hero that gets to be number 1 that their parent's have raised them to believe they deserve...we're all winners...they are no wrong answers...there is no such thing as negative consequences...ad nostradamusum

The Fortress
November 15th, 2007, 02:33 PM

Totally agree!

Interestingly, I'm not sure the kids have any huge objection to masters swimmers swimming in prelim/final meets. They seem to think it's pretty cool and make it a point to watch. Besides, the elite masters are great role models.

SwimStud
November 15th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Totally agree!

Interestingly, I'm not sure the kids have any huge objection to masters swimmers swimming in prelim/final meets. They seem to think it's pretty cool and make it a point to watch. Besides, the elite masters are great role models.

Les your rollover turn got a "Wow, I've never seen that!" from the girl timing at the Sprint.
Whereas I normally get a "Wow, I've never seen it done quite like that before! Hahahahaha!"

CreamPuff
November 15th, 2007, 04:22 PM

Awesome job to both Alison and Fort!! I had to scratch my meet due to my injury, but I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunity in the future.

One of the guys I swim with (who happens to be a world masters record holder in the 200 BR), says that when he swims USA S meets, he swims the prelims only and then immediately scratches himself from the finals so as not to take the place of a kid who dreamed of making finals. Very nice of him I thought. He said he only had one swim per event in him anyway. (He's a dad of some USA S swimmers, so I see he's thought it through.)

swimshark
November 15th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Kristina, your team mates idea is good. I wouldn't want to swim the same event twice in a day anyway.

Sorry to hear you couldn't swim. I hope for better results next time.

Alison

poolraat
November 16th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Just found out from the coach of the USA team I'm registered with that I'm swimming relays in the meet this weekend, too. How fun!

aquaFeisty
November 16th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Oooh, definitely fun to get to do relays! Good luck, poolraat!!

swimshark
November 19th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Poolrat, how did it go?

Alison

poolraat
November 19th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Poolrat, how did it go?

Alison

It was fun. I swam the 50 & 100 free and 50 fly in this meet last year too. I bettered last years times in this meet. Here's a short summary of how it went.

Saturday
I swam the 200 free relay, my split was the slowest of the 4 of us but we still placed and it was a good way to warmup for the 50 free.
I swam lifetime best times in the 50 free and 50 back (and placed in the back), making the NQT's for Austin next May in these events.

Sunday
Not quite as fast as Sat. but still some good times.
100 free - Was my 3rd fastest ever. I'm still taking out the 1st 50 too slow. Should go out around 1-2 sec faster. Miissed the NQT by about 1.1 sec.
100 back - Much better (by 4 sec) than what I did in a Masters meet last week and my 2nd best ever. I split fairly even (about 2.5 sec diff) but again, I need to go out faster for the first 50.
50 fly - My 4th fastest swim but again about 1.1 sec out of the NQT.

swimr4life
November 19th, 2007, 05:08 PM
...but Kirk that means little Timmy or Suzy might not be the all conquering hero that gets to be number 1 that their parent's have raised them to believe they deserve...we're all winners...they are no wrong answers...there is no such thing as negative consequences...ad nostradamusum

:shakeshead:Soooo true!! This is a pet peeve of mine.... You'd be surprised how many parents actually have this mindset. They want little Johnny to be on the "A" relay despite the fact that he is the slowest swimmer on the team. "But he gets discouraged because he never gets a ribbon." :rolleyes: What will this generation of kids do when they go out into the world and realize that they have to actually work to get anything from life?

quicksilver
November 19th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Our local little league coach (volunteer) got threatened with a lawsuit last summer for telling a kid he had to play with the junior league. We live in a resort community... and in the summer we get all types of people...with lots of money...and lots of self righteous attitudes.

This particular couple (the wife being a New York city prosecutor) gave the coach a five day notice to provide a written explanation on why their child couldn't play with the varsity team or she was suing him. (The answer was simple...he didn't make the cut, and there were way too many kids that were better than him.)

It turns out...The varsity team had a select group of kids who were going to be paid a visit by a couple of major league players who offered to give pointers and throw the ball around. The coach had no choice but to give into her demands or she was dragging him to court.

scyfreestyler
November 19th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Our local little league coach (volunteer) got threatened with a lawsuit last summer for telling a kid he had to play with the junior league. We live in a resort community... and in the summer we get all types of people...with lots of money...and lots of self righteous attitudes.

This particular couple (the wife being a New York city prosecutor) gave the coach a five day notice to provide a written explanation on why their child couldn't play with the varsity team or she was suing him. (The answer was simple...he didn't make the cut, and there were way too many kids that were better than him.)

It turns out...The varsity team had a select group of kids who were going to be paid a visit by a couple of major league players who offered to give pointers and throw the ball around. The coach had no choice but to give into her demands or she was dragging him to court.

:mooning: I would like to think that such a lawsuit would have made this prosecuter the laughing stock of the courtroom, but most likely she would have won and this volunteer coach would have lost his life savings.

swimshark
November 20th, 2007, 07:06 AM
The coach had no choice but to give into her demands or she was dragging him to court.

And when their kid grows up thinking everything will be handed to them and they can't control him they'll wonder why.

It was fun. I swam the 50 & 100 free and 50 fly in this meet last year too. I bettered last years times in this meet. Here's a short summary of how it went.

Good job Poolrat!!!

Alison

gull
November 20th, 2007, 11:00 AM
Apparently even the Olympians enter these from time to time. Brendan Hansen swam the 200 breast and the 100 back in a USA Swimming unclassified meet at UT last weekend. We were there watching my daughter swim. She actually shared a lane with him during warm up.

pwolf66
November 20th, 2007, 12:05 PM
I actually plan on swimming in the PVS January Open. Should be interesting. Though the 50 and 100 free are on different days so that's not so great. And they don't have 50 Fly :-)

"Dude, I'm racing my DAD"

Paul