PDA

View Full Version : what to do?

born2fly
November 12th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Has anyone gone into a big swim meet, a shave and taper meet without doing any meets leading up to it? Im curious as to how things turned out. I have not been at a meet since March. I was outta the water and recovering from shoulder issues all summer. I have been back at it since August and shoulders feel fine. I am thinking I should do a masters meet, there is a good one this Saturday. The shave and taper meet is a USS meet starting on Dec. 7th.

There is the OSU vs. Mich game this Saturday. Whoever planned this meet on this day was not thinking and I know, it does not have the implications it could have.

So, should I swim the meet or go into big meet with no meets? I have been doing things for time in practice and its not like I have forgotten how to swim certain events, like the 200 fly.

Torn between swimming and the Bucks,
Greg

ande
November 12th, 2007, 12:22 PM
yes
I suggest you do a few meet like swims in practice

Has anyone gone into a big swim meet, a shave and taper meet without doing any meets leading up to it? Im curious as to how things turned out. I have not been at a meet since March. I was outta the water and recovering from shoulder issues all summer. I have been back at it since August and shoulders feel fine. I am thinking I should do a masters meet, there is a good one this Saturday. The shave and taper meet is a USS meet starting on Dec. 7th.

There is the OSU vs. Mich game this Saturday. Whoever planned this meet on this day was not thinking and I know, it does not have the implications it could have.

So, should I swim the meet or go into big meet with no meets? I have been doing things for time in practice and its not like I have forgotten how to swim certain events, like the 200 fly.

Torn between swimming and the Bucks,
Greg

jim thornton
November 12th, 2007, 01:17 PM
It's an interesting choice for an Ohioan:

swim a 200 butterfly in a practice meet, the pain of which--like child birth--will probably be forgotten by the time you do your next 200 butterfly, assuming at least 9 moths has past

stay home and watch an army of highly trained wolverines feast on a pile of mushy buckeyes

I agree with Ande: go with the meet. Amongst your two options, this one seems to be the less dispiriting.

gull
November 12th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Columbus, OH (AP) - A seven-year old boy was at the center of a Franklin County courtroom drama yesterday when he challenged a court ruling over who should have custody of him. The boy has a history of being beaten by his parents and the judge initially awarded custody to his aunt, in keeping with child custody law and regulation requiring that family unity be maintained to the highest degree possible.

The boy surprised the court when he proclaimed that his aunt beat him more than his parents and he adamantly refused to live with her. When the judge then suggested that he live with his grandparents, the boy cried and said that they also beat him. After considering the remainder of the immediate family and learning that domestic violence was apparently a way of life among them, the judge took the unprecedented step of allowing the boy to propose who should have custody of him.

After two recesses to check legal references and confer with the child welfare officials, the judge granted temporary custody to the University of Michigan Wolverines, whom the boy firmly believes are not capable of beating anyone.

Redbird Alum
November 12th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I agree with Ande: go with the meet. Amongst your two options, this one seems to be the less dispiriting.

Jim -

Ande did not say to swim a meet. Ande said to swim some practice swims as if one was in a meet. I don't think the Buckeyes would want to have one of their faithful missing after last week's loss to Illinois!

born2fly
November 12th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Ok Matt,
How about you drive to Miami Univ. this weekend and we will settle this in the pool. Ohio vs Illinois :-)

I think I will do the meet since the USS meet I will be doing in Dec at the same pool.

swimshark
November 12th, 2007, 02:47 PM
I'd say practice a meet in practice and watch the game this weekend.Both teams need cheers! (go ducks)

Alison

dorothyrde
November 12th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Careful Gregg, it could turn out like last weekend's game :thhbbb:

< course now we will probably look past Northwestern>

funkyfish
November 12th, 2007, 10:54 PM
With the scarcity of meets where I live, each meet is a shave and taper meet. I think I got to 4 meets total this year, beginning in May and the last one will be this weekend. I feel I did ok at each meet, probably got more benefit from the shave than from the week taper I did before the meet. Times improved after each meet, so that was encouraging.
:banana:

swimminlyn
November 13th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Hey Greg,
you need to go to the meet. I will be there an signed up for the 200 fly. Even though you will kick my butt, I don't want to be the only one on the blocks at the start of the race. Then after your nice long rest of waiting for me to finish you could help drag me out of the pool. :rofl:

TRYM_Swimmer
November 13th, 2007, 05:45 PM
This is beginning to sound like my family's Christmas shindig where we will have Ohio State, Michigan, Illinois, Purdue, Notre Dame, Dayton, and Villanova in the same room, along with the assorted Manhattan, Phila. Pharmacy, UMBC, Rosary College, Benedictine (IL), etc. Always a lot of trash talk after the beer and wine start flowing!

And since my wife finally got her block O a few years ago after having been one of the founders of OSU Women's Swimming, all I can say is,

GO BUCKS!!!!!

born2fly
November 14th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Hey Linda,
Have you been to this meet before? It's definitely a gorgeous facility and a very fast pool. Well, Im sure we will be in same heat of 200 fly, dont think there is ever more than one heat of that event lol. I might be the one needed to get dragged out.

See you Saturday and be sure to say hi if you see me around the pool deck.

Greg

swimminlyn
November 14th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Hi Greg...

I have not been to this meet before. A lady I swim with, her son goes there and when I found out about the meet, I told her. We are bringing a small group over, about 5 or 6. I am looking forward to it. I have heard very good things about this meet and pool.
We swim for Cardinal Swimming Indiana and I will have on a Ball State swim cap. Hope I don't get drowned for wearing a MAC rival cap.

See you on Saturday.

born2fly
November 15th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Linda,
It is a good meet. Although, Im not much into swimming short course meters, only because I don't train in a 25 meter pool. However,since I need to get a meet in before my big meet in December, I gotta do what I gotta do.

Just so you know, they also have a big meet there in Feb. I will be the lone representative of my team, WTRC Sharks which falls under the SWOM district. I did not pre-register so I will be one of those deck enter people. What events are you doing? Im doing the 50free, 100/200 fly and 400 free. If I am feeling really motivated might also do the 400IM.

See you Saturday and good luck.
Greg

swimminlyn
November 15th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Greg,
I am doing the 400/200 IM, 50/200 fly and 200 free. I entered the 100 breast but I have changed my mind. I would rather swim the 200 free. They have posted a psych sheet and also said that there will be a t.v. on deck to watch the game. So there ya go...dont have to miss out on the game and can get a meet in too. :bouncing:

I don't train SCM either, but I don't mind it. I swam in the Fall Classic in Indy a couple weeks ago. Had a great time. Some up and down swims with one of the downs being the 200. I would like to see if I can better my time.

born2fly
November 16th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Where is the psych sheet listed at? I went to Miami's website but did not see it there. Can you provide the link?

Thanks,
greg

swimminlyn
November 16th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Greg,

I sent you an email.

Linda

swim53
November 19th, 2007, 04:07 AM
Y'all need to know..... Greg must've stayed home (or somewhere?!) to watch osu BEAT MICHIGAN! He wasn't there.
Gerg- I missed you. Wanted to watch you burn up the water in your fly.
Ann Guins

born2fly
November 19th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Ann,
Well it was not by choice :-( I went and worked out with the age groupers Saturday morning from 730-9am. Got home had a pre meet breakfest and and hour before I was going to hit the road I got paged from work. Ended up working remotely from home and watching the game. I was not pleased that I got paged, however, it does come with the job.

How was the meet, how did you do?
Greg