PDA

View Full Version : Ken Heuck

cjr
November 12th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Over the weekend Ken Hueck attended the Louisville Invitational. After his 200 IM swim apparently he went back into the stands and collapsed. After he was revived he was taken to the hospital.

He is conscious, stable and resting in the ICU. I can't express accurately the
gratitude the family feels towards the care givers that saved Ken's life
today. The swift response by lifeguards Chris Tingley and Paul Criscola,
the expert care provided by Mary Pholmann MD, Ashley Karpinos MD, Mark Kramer and Michael made all the difference.
Also thank you to Yoshi Oyakawa, Melinda Smith, Chip Jarowski and John Graham who traveled to the hospital and provided support to the family and Denise Brown for the comforting words she provided to us all. I will keep you updated as I learn more about Ken's progress.

cjr
November 12th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Mark Gill just passed this along to me.. Mark spoke with Ken's wife and it sounds as if he is doing remarkably well. He has been awake and talked with her. He is coherent and understands what is happening. The doctors still have not determined what happened to him. Tomorrow they will conduct an angioplasty to try and determine the cause of the incident and if there was any damage. Before checking his ID, they thought Ken was 13 years younger than he really is. They credited his excellent health to swimming.

I will keep you posted.

CJ

swim53
November 12th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Thanks CJ. Keep us posted. Ken is a heck of a good guy.

swim53
November 12th, 2007, 10:56 PM
CJ- can you pass along Ken's address for cards? Thanks

mbmg3282
November 13th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Norton Audubon Hospital
c/o Ken Heuck
One Audubon Plaza Drive
Louisville, KY 40217

MegSmath
November 13th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Mark modestly left himself out of those who deserve credit for helping to save Ken's life. Mark was actually in the water swimming in the next heat of the 200 IM at the time Ken collapsed (and unless you've seen Mark swim breaststroke, you can't truly appreciate how heroic THAT was!), and immediately jumped out of the pool and began running around making sure everything that should be done was being done. It was inspirational to see everyone pull together to take care of Ken. We had a doctor, a medical student, a nurse/anesthetist, and a firefighter/EMT all in attendance who immediately went to work. Other swimmers ran outside to direct the paramedics. They even thought to drive Ken's car to the hospital so it wouldn't be towed. The rest of us stayed out of the way and prayed!

What did I learn? That if you're going to have a medical emergency, a Masters swim meet is a pretty good place to have it.

cjr
November 13th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Ken is not accepting visitors or calls at the moment. They did an
angiogram on him today, and it showed that he had suffered a massive heart
attack that caused some damage. They were able to remove the ventilator.
He is semi-conscious in and out now, which is an improvement. He had been
unconscious. He is at Norton Audubon Hospital in Louisville.

Norton Audubon Hospital
One Audubon Plaza Drive
Louisville, KY 40217
502-636-7111

http://www.nortonhealthcare.com/locations/hospitals/audubon/

WOW. This really put things in perspective. You never know when or where. But to echo Meg comments, I was glad Ken was at the meet.

swim53
November 13th, 2007, 08:40 PM
thanks for the info. Mel Smith talked to Ken's wife today and she says all cards will be very welcomed!

mbmg3282
November 13th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Those interested in sending a card can send me an email at mark.gill@usms.org and I will be happy to provide you with Ken's address.

cjr
November 14th, 2007, 02:26 PM
The news on Ken Heuck continues to be good. Today he was able to go for a short walk around the hospital. He is more alert and aware of things as well. The doctors think that he will be able to go home this Friday. Those wishing to send cards to Ken can send them to his home:

Ken Heuck
3824 East Street
Cincinnati, OH 45227

Thanks

swim53
November 18th, 2007, 09:45 PM
C.J. or anyone,
What's the latest news on Ken Heuck? We missed his presence at Oxford this weekend.

cjr
November 20th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Ken is still in the hospital. Room 5130, bed #2. Doing better but not cleared as of this morning.

SwimRobin
November 25th, 2007, 08:05 PM
CJ,

Just wondering if there is any recent word on how Ken is doing.

Robin Segnitz

cjr
November 26th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Update on Ken.

Ken is still in the hospitial, but no to much longer. Currently he is room 5115, bed #1.

He is getting a Defibulator put in this afternoon. He would have been out sooner, but developed a staff infection that has kept him in longer. Once this is completed, he should be going home (YEAH) either tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday morning.

Doctors are not sure why Ken had the episode or what caused this to happened, but the benefits of swimming has played a MAJOR factor in Ken's recovery.

Any well wishers can send cards to his home address at:
Ken Heuck
3824 East Street
Cincinnati, OH 45227

Thank you.

MegSmath
December 3rd, 2007, 07:24 PM
Well, I just received one of the nicest phone calls! From Ken! Not only is he back in Cincinnati, he is back at work! He sounded just like his old self. He said from his perspective, the last thing he remembers is swimming the 200 IM on Sunday and then waking up Thursday and wondering where the heck he was! He has had the defibrillator implanted, and they are not sure if he will ever need it, but it's there now if he does need it. He is amazed and grateful that so many people were there to help him when he needed it. He called it a resurrection. This time, the nice guy came out on top!!!!