PDA

View Full Version : Swimmers Snorkel

Glenn
November 15th, 2007, 09:56 PM
If you have read the latest Swimming World you probably saw the article on the swimmers snorkel. Has anyone used this device and if so what are your comments.

Also, when I went to the Finis website I found that they also make a freestyle swimmers snorkel and a cardio cap that fits on the snorkel. The freestyle swimmers snorkel angles the exiting water further back then the regular swimmers snorkel. Is this design better than the original design for freestyle swimmers.

I would like to hear from those of you who have used this piece of equipment.

Thanks!!!

Glenn Gruber:)

NKMD
November 16th, 2007, 01:24 PM
I believe the swimmer's snorkel is the best tool for helping people swim better than any other tool on the market. The reason being is that breathing is not overated! As land animals we learn to do things with balance and stability and to learn athletic movements as specifically as possible in slow motion. Unfortunately in swimming if you are not comfortable breathing what happens is people become frenetic and speed everything up. When receiving a steady supply of oxygen people will relax in the water, and that's it in a nutshell. The ability to swim at normal and much much slower than normal speeds, with perfect stability in a laid out position with a full range of motion.

Tim Elson

NKMD
November 16th, 2007, 01:30 PM
I had Tim write a reply form his view of the snorkle using my log in.

This is my opinion.

I seriously believe the snorkle is an important tool in swimming. I have both the freestyle and swimmer's snorkle. I have trouble with the freestyle snorkle due to I have no breathe control. I like the purge valve of the swimmer's snorkle and I use it every day. I do not use the cardio cap, I get enough resistance without it.

The snorkle helps with balance, body position in the water.

I use it for free, breast and fly.

As a physical therapist and a stroke coach, I feel that it allows swimmers to learn the proper body position and decreases stress on the shoulders.

If you don't have one ask Santa for one.

It is a MUST HAVE!!!!

jmeyer
November 16th, 2007, 01:45 PM
It's a great tool. Get the regular one, not the freestyle one, and forget about the cardio cap. I wouldn't do a hard swim workout with the snorkel, and instead would just use it when working on technique. It really does help when you don't have to adjust your style every 3 strokes to breathe.

It's also great for kicking, especially butterfly. In this scenario, you'd be getting more of a workout.

I plan to hit the pool tonight on my own just to work on some drills with the snorkel. During workouts, I find it too hard to work on technique because I'd be slowed down so much.

Get one! You won't be sorry.

richabrahams
November 16th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Glenn, I've had one of these snorkles for about 9 months now. I was inspired by a technique video I saw with Arizona swimmers. It is the only swim toy I use and I'm pretty pleased. I never use it for the hypoxic effects. I just don't believe in training with hypoxic sets (that doesn't mean I don't do all out 25's -swim and SDK with no breath, just not anything longer except in a time trial or race). I usually only do 1 length at a time and combine drills immediately followed by full stroke swimming, sometime alternating lengths. My 2 favorites are sculling with a light kick (either 1 or 2 handed) with the arm and hand in the initial catch position and single arm swimming (other arm at my side) working on the timing of my catch with the drive of my opposite hip. This second one needs to be with a slow turnover so you can time your kick, catch and hip drive in a coordinated way. It's amazing how much better my right arm feels compared to the left. I average about 300 meters a workout on these drills right after warm up.

For those of you more experienced, how do you keep the snorkle from rotating sideways on a strong push off the wall?

Rich :cane:

phm41
November 16th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I use one for kick sets. I can't use a board because of neck problems, so the snorkel allows me to stay streamlined and concentrate on my kick, rather than my breathing. My practice on Wed had 1600 kick, which I NEVER would have done without the snorkel. I have had less neck issues too, now that I stay streamlined while I kick.

poolraat
November 16th, 2007, 04:58 PM
I have the Finis freestyle snorkel. I still need to get used to it. I view that thing as a torture device not a swim toy.

Glenn
November 16th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks all for your insightful comments! I'll get the swimmers snorkel without the cardio cap.

Glenn:)

Allen Stark
November 18th, 2007, 12:17 AM
I have both,but never use the freestyle snorkle any more as it is just too easy to get water in it and too hard to get it out.I love my regular one.I use it for warm up/cool down and all kicking sets.I think it makes swimming free easier on my shoulders.Also,turn it around like the article showed for backstroke,then put it on upside down and backward and it works as a reminder to keep your head down on breaststroke.(The head position is more natural than with the infamous tennis ball drill.)