PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Running Headaches?

sydned
November 18th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Hi there,
I have a question for any swimmers who run too.

I live in New England and it's starting to get cold here during my morning runs. I am wondering if anyone has had this happen to them.

I am generally fine while I am running. If it's really cold, I might wear a balaclava over my mouth and nose so that I don't get too cold. I do the right things in terms of cold protection but once it is cold, as soon as I stop running, I get a KILLER headache. It's almost instantaneous and feels awful. Terrible pain in the front of my head. It can last for 15-20 minutes and is pretty excruciating.

I think it might be a sinus thing. I have allergies and sinus issues and this is like a sinus headache. I can't figure out, however, why it only comes on once I stop running.

I keep running outside unless the windchill is really brutal. I will do ANYTHING to avoid the treadmill--including suffer this silly pain. (What is wrong with me?? But perhaps that's a question for another thread...)

I swim probably 5-6 times a week, and run at least 4. My typical run averages between 7-10 miles, and I keep that distance up through the winter.

Any ideas?
Thanks!