PDA

View Full Version : One hour Postal

Concho Pearl
November 21st, 2007, 01:31 PM
I was thinking about doing the one hour postal in Jan. I have never done one before, so I printed out the information and had a couple questions.

It says that the rules are govern by 2008 USMS Long distance rules, drafting, flotation, and propulsive devices are permitted. (pull buoys, fins, paddles, wet suits, etc.)

My question is can you wear a watch and can you listen to a waterproof MP3 player while doing the swim?

Also is it best to swim this separate from practice, or does it matter? I swim with age groupers and not sure if during this practice time would be the best time. I really don' t think I want to
swim at our 'Y" because the water is always warm and the pool is a slow pool.

knelson
November 21st, 2007, 03:25 PM
It says that the rules are govern by 2008 USMS Long distance rules, drafting, flotation, and propulsive devices are permitted. (pull buoys, fins, paddles, wet suits, etc.)

I assume you meant to say are NOT permitted.

I think wearing a watch and/or mp3 player is OK. I don't see anything in the long distance rules prohibiting these.

As far as where to swim it, do it wherever you can. Remember you aren't allowed to circle swim, so that could make it difficult to do with your age group team. Ideally pick a pool that is nice and cool. Warm water really takes it out of you on long distance swims.

fatboy
November 21st, 2007, 05:19 PM
. Remember you aren't allowed to circle swim,.

Is this to prevent drafting?

knelson
November 21st, 2007, 05:35 PM
Yes. If you were allowed to circle you could get a nice draft going. You could plan with your lanemate(s) to trade off the lead every so often and swim quite a bit farther then you would alone.

Concho Pearl
November 21st, 2007, 09:02 PM
My bad ... my typing dyslexic was showing.
I'm to assume this should be a constant swim for 1 hour - no rest until you finish - correct?

smontanaro
November 21st, 2007, 11:49 PM
You can rest all you want. It's just that the clock keeps ticking. ;)

Skip Montanaro

knelson
November 22nd, 2007, 12:49 PM
Skip's right. You can get out and sit on the deck for 45 minutes if you want. Probably won't help your distance much, but if that's what you want to do :)

Some people definitely break the swim up. If you think you could do better by doing 100 yard repeats with rest in between, go for it.

Concho Pearl
November 22nd, 2007, 09:18 PM
LOL.... I never thought about people breaking up the swim.
Hmmm not sure how I would do it,
I've never done 1 hour without stopping. Thought I should practice to figure out
a pace, etc...

Starting with a 1650 5 min rest, 2 x1000 5min rest between
I did feel faster when doing the 1000's figured I did 3650yds.
Going to take out the first 5 min. rest. and stop at 3500 or so rest 5 min finish up and
see how that goes.

Any suggestions?

smontanaro
November 22nd, 2007, 10:06 PM
This year was the second time I did all five postal swims. I generally do the one-hour swim each year though. The first year I did it, it was all new to me. I just wanted to finish. This year I had a 500 goal pace for the measured distance swims. I think that would be useful in the one-hour swim as well. Figure out a good target pace per 500 yards and work in practice at or near that pace.

Skip

osterber
November 22nd, 2007, 11:27 PM
Doing intervals is a great way to get through the swim. A few years ago, when I aged up during January, I did the hour swim twice... I did it once SCY continuously, and then I did it again after my birthday, but swam it LCM. To change things up, I did LCM 500's on a sendoff. That made the swim go by pretty well.

If you want to do intervals... I suggest doing something on the medium-to-long range... i.e., don't do 100's. If you ask me, it's better to take 30 seconds after each 500 instead of 5 seconds after each 100. But that's just me.

-Rick

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 27th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I love the one hour. Once I get in the pool I start singing and pretty soon the hour is over. I used to have a really great timer. Unfortunately, I moved away and now I rely on anyone I can get. I thn it s good to have a timer who can communicate how you are doing so you can do other things while swimming.