PDA

View Full Version : What's "slow"?

scwids
November 21st, 2007, 07:03 PM
As a distance open water person, I'm always amazed at how fast short distance swimmers actually swim (those of you out there who are shooting for sub-one minute 100's know who you are!!!) I definitely do some sprint work in my training, but I'm still impressed at the times people put up who are real sprinters.

So I'm curious - what do people consider a "slow" 100? (Assuming that one is actually swimming instead of noodling.....) :snore:

aquageek
November 21st, 2007, 07:27 PM
So I'm curious - what do people consider a "slow" 100?

1:08.19

poolraat
November 21st, 2007, 07:30 PM
- what do people consider a "slow" 100?

It's all relative. What I consider slow now, was an all out effort a few years ago when I first started swimming.

rtodd
November 21st, 2007, 08:36 PM
I would define slow as not a PB. I think this is a true definition for masters swimming.

scyfreestyler
November 21st, 2007, 09:05 PM

So that is the official 100 Free "slow" time for USMS? I wonder if anybody has ever recorded that time...exactly? :dunno:

3strokes
November 21st, 2007, 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by scwids http://forums.usms.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?p=114798#post114798)
So I'm curious - what do people consider a "slow" 100?

LCM or SCY?
What age? 25-29 or 80-84?

:confused:

The Fortress
November 21st, 2007, 10:53 PM
I would define slow as not a PB. I think this is a true definition for masters swimming.

Wait a minute (Jerry Seinfeld voice). We can't do a PB every time we put goggles in the water ... So many factors effect the results. I don't necessarily think I'm horrifically "slow" if I don't PB. I don't generally expect to PB unless I'm tapered or my version of "tapered."

But I generally agree with using your own time as a benchmark. Or you can look at times in your age group. But who's to say what is "slow?" Too amorphous.

I'm sure I've swum a 1:08.19 at some point in my life at some distance in some stroke. ;)

Blackbeard's Peg
November 21st, 2007, 11:41 PM
I'm sure I've swum a 1:08.19 at some point in my life at some distance in some stroke. ;)

probably a 50 breast... ;)

anyway, Rachael, that is a hard question to answer - as most folks have alluded to, its pretty relative to who you are. my slowest recorded 100y free was a 59.something - I was in a cast, and had been swimming for a week after nearly 2 months of no swimming. I've seen some grandparents get pretty close to two minutes. collegiate swimmers probably think my shaved/tapered 50/51 is slow.

SwimStud
November 21st, 2007, 11:49 PM

Yup it's slow...but I hear you hop on and off of Mrs Geek in about 12 seconds less...Attaboy!

:p

poolraat
November 21st, 2007, 11:54 PM
Yup it's slow...but I hear you hop on and off of Mrs Geek in about 12 seconds less...Attaboy!

:p

That's cold. LMAO

rtodd
November 22nd, 2007, 11:42 AM
Deep down I know comparatively speaking, my 100 is slow. But if I PB, I say to myself, that was fast.

scwids
November 22nd, 2007, 11:46 AM
These are all really good points - it's true we can't PB all the time, but it is truly a "masters" perspective on swimming! :agree:

Allen Stark
November 22nd, 2007, 02:33 PM
Slow is a time that disappoints you.Fast is a time you are happy with.I've seen Bob Strand break a world record and be upset because he knew he could have done better.

scyfreestyler
November 22nd, 2007, 02:47 PM
And some people are just never happy.

FindingMyInnerFish
November 22nd, 2007, 03:38 PM
Well, there's objectively fast as in the high-end Olympic swimmer fast... and there's "fast for oneself," which could be any speed. As someone who's never broken two minutes in 100 free (scy... for get about meters!), I'd be ecstatic with 1:59.99!

Slow: Slow in general or slow for oneself? Unless I suddenly and miraculously got a world record along with a PB (ha, you guys will start extolling the virtues of water aerobics and noodles, and Bush will declare himself a Democrat before that happens), my PB would likely be thought slow by some, fast by me.

But I just keep on swimming. Eventually when I'm 99, I might set a world a.g. record, and how cool would that be! :groovy:

Slowswim
November 22nd, 2007, 07:23 PM
Me. :drown: :cry:

FindingMyInnerFish
November 23rd, 2007, 03:37 PM
Me. :drown: :cry:

But think of yourself as FAST. It's all relative...

You aren't slower than ME!

echo
November 23rd, 2007, 10:32 PM
But think of yourself as FAST. It's all relative...

You aren't slower than ME!

I probably am.

indyswimbag
November 24th, 2007, 07:45 PM
take your pick....watching me try and sprint OR watching me try back/fly!:agree:

ensignada
November 24th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Well, there's objectively fast as in the high-end Olympic swimmer fast... and there's "fast for oneself," which could be any speed. As someone who's never broken two minutes in 100 free (scy... for get about meters!), I'd be ecstatic with 1:59.99!

Slow: Slow in general or slow for oneself? Unless I suddenly and miraculously got a world record along with a PB (ha, you guys will start extolling the virtues of water aerobics and noodles, and Bush will declare himself a Democrat before that happens), my PB would likely be thought slow by some, fast by me.

But I just keep on swimming. Eventually when I'm 99, I might set a world a.g. record, and how cool would that be! :groovy:

My plan, FMIF, is to learn fly when I'm 80 and go right for the 200. All the real flyers will have shot their shoulders out by then (thereby reducing the competition), and my team will love me for all the points. And best of all, everyone will say, "Wow, a 2Fly at her age...she must be a true athlete!" :drink:

Seriously, "fast for one's self" is where it's at for me.

FindingMyInnerFish
November 25th, 2007, 03:23 PM
My plan, FMIF, is to learn fly when I'm 80 and go right for the 200. All the real flyers will have shot their shoulders out by then (thereby reducing the competition), and my team will love me for all the points. And best of all, everyone will say, "Wow, a 2Fly at her age...she must be a true athlete!" :drink:

Seriously, "fast for one's self" is where it's at for me.

I like how you think! We must get together sometime and talk strategy! :D