PDA

View Full Version : hamstring rehab

runner girl
November 22nd, 2007, 10:52 AM
Just wondering if anyone has any great ideas of what to do in the pool to rehab my slightly injured hamstring. It's one of those great little injuries that attacked me out of the blue (as in 13.5 miles into a 22 mile training run). I was nervous about going to the pool at first because the motion for pushing off the wall seemed to be when it was hurting. I did the RICE thing, and have been doing the elliptical at the gym without any problems. Now that it only bothers me when I run, I think I can safely get in the pool.

My thought was that some kicking sets on my back might be good, but thought others might have some thoughts. Should I (gasp, please forgive me) do some pool running or treading water?

Thanks.

poolraat
November 22nd, 2007, 11:10 AM
Should I (gasp, please forgive me) do some pool running or treading water?

Thanks.

You're going to need a noodle, and a flotation belt. Oh, also one of those caps with a chin strap and patterned with some colored flowers. :thhbbb:
:rofl::rofl:

But seriously, I would just take it easy, continue the RICE treatment. Do easy kicking, water running, lots of GENTLE stretching after exercise. If it hurts back off or don't do it. When I was running, injuries like this generally needed lots of time (an patience) to heal.

rtodd
November 22nd, 2007, 11:33 AM
I would not kick hard, especially with zoomers. Do pull sets freestyle.

runner girl
November 22nd, 2007, 11:40 AM
You're going to need a noodle, and a flotation belt. Oh, also one of those caps with a chin strap and patterned with some colored flowers. :thhbbb:
:rofl::rofl:

If I thought wearing one of these lovely caps would actually speed up my recovery, I'd have it sent overnight. Patience is not one of my virtues!

Blackbeard's Peg
November 23rd, 2007, 12:15 AM
some ideas...

4 position kick (back, front, left side, right side), to strengthen all parts of your legs
stretch before, during and after swimming
easy on the breaststroke kick

i think doing the elliptical is a good idea, as it will help not only rehab your hammy, but also help build up the muscles around it, which in turn help stabalize and build your weaker ones.

cantwait4bike
November 23rd, 2007, 02:15 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any great ideas of what to do in the pool to rehab my slightly injured hamstring. It's one of those great little injuries that attacked me out of the blue (as in 13.5 miles into a 22 mile training run). I was nervous about going to the pool at first because the motion for pushing off the wall seemed to be when it was hurting. I did the RICE thing, and have been doing the elliptical at the gym without any problems. Now that it only bothers me when I run, I think I can safely get in the pool.

My thought was that some kicking sets on my back might be good, but thought others might have some thoughts. Should I (gasp, please forgive me) do some pool running or treading water?

Thanks.

Hamstrings never heal. RICE is about the worst thing you can do for it, just a AMA way of saying they don't know how to heal it. Unless your going to be doing non wet suit tri's (hardly likely in cold rain turning to cold shower Seattle), start your swim workout regime up again and just don't do massive, unneccessary kicking or flip turns with pushoffs for a while. Be one of the 5% of triathletes that have found excessive kicking during a wetsuit legal swim is a complete waste of energy.

slowfish
November 23rd, 2007, 02:58 PM
Hi runner girl,

As a fellow runner girl who started swimming because of chronic hammy trouble, i feel your pain...but, i learned that strengthening all the muscles that support the hamstring was THE key to curing this nasty issue. well now i'm hooked on swimming 3-4x week but i can run pretty much ever day :-).

Also, no matter how contrary this advice seems, don't stretch the hamstring while it hurts. a good PT said it best "stretching an injured muscle is like tearing the scab off of a skinned knee". you want that scar tissue to build up but by strengtheing the muscle instead of stretching, it should get stronger instead of tearing off over and over again.

Main routine in the gym that i follow for hams:

1. Squats
2. Seated leg presses
3. Quads
4. Hams - only light weights and only in a range of motion that doesn't hurt
5. Adductor and Abductor machine - the one that people think you can use to "spot reduce" the fat on the hips.

The only stretching i do for the hams is the first exercise in this picture:
http://www.womenshealthmag.com/article/0,6176,s1-1-91-1841-1,00.html

it's a combination of stretching and strengtheing that i do after every run.

other stretching my adductors and abductors...no hams

give this routine a good solid 3 week try at least 3 times per week and i am willing to bet that your hammy issues will start seeing some improvement in a big way.

in the meantime, just hammer in the pool :-)

slowfish