PDA

View Full Version : Feeling 'fast'

pwolf66
November 22nd, 2007, 02:14 PM
I think I have made a pretty significant breakthru. While I was doing 6x100s Free yesterday, I started to feel like I was swimming 'fast'. Thats not to say that I was burning up the pool but I felt very powerful with long smooth strokes, a strong catch and a good snap at the bottom and was holding my 100s (SCY) at about 1:06 on 2:00 intervals.

Has anyone had that kind of realization?

This was the best I've felt in the water in the 2 months since I've been back. So hopefully I can build on that and move that 'fast' feeling into the other 3 strokes.

Just wanted share that.

Paul

pwolf66
November 23rd, 2007, 08:59 AM
Guess I'm the only one who's had that revelation? :woot:

Paul

quicksilver
November 23rd, 2007, 09:20 AM
Paul,

Great job. Breakthroughs are always an uplifting experience. 1:06 pace isn't too shabby either.
Now the trick is to tighten that interval up...way up.

Try getting the 2:00 schedule down to 1:40. And then progressively down to 1:30...and so on.

You should be able to come in...look at the clock ...and wait no more than 15 seconds to start building a strong engine.
The repeat times may slow down, but that's fine.

Good luck in your training.

pwolf66
November 23rd, 2007, 09:34 AM
Thanks. Still having endurance issues so I need those longer intervals to catch my breath. Also, need the longer intervals to be able to finish the whole workout.

But it is getting there finally after 2 months of struggling in the pool. Last week was a low point for me and I was feeling very down on myself but this week has really shown that I AM making progress and I am getting faster.

Paul

Slowswim
November 23rd, 2007, 10:25 AM
Great Job, Paul. I've had those too. Then, I struggle to hold it longer and longer. Just as I'm starting to get frustrated, a breakthrough in time happens!

Keep up the good work.

Bill

ViveBene
November 23rd, 2007, 10:56 AM
Congrats, Paul!

I am not a fast swimmer, but sometimes I feel I am swimming "fast," i.e., everything seems well connected and smooth. This usually happens toward the end of a workout. And sometimes the water feels as though it has grooves in it, so I hunt around for the correct groove. Once I'm in it, swimming is definitely faster and easier. :agree:

Ephemeral, though.

Regards, VB

Red60
November 27th, 2007, 01:43 PM
I have definitely had this feeling from time to time.

I have a question about the interval thing. Last year I got used to doing 100s on 1:30, occasionally 1:25, and I could bring them in consistently at 1:15 or so. But I could not get below 1:02 in a race situation. Ande suggested that 100s on 1:30 were not going to help me go any faster in the 100. So now I am beginning to experiment with trying to go below 1:10, but that takes an interval of 2:30 or so, at least for now. The longest event I am likely to swim this season is the 200 free, but mostly it's 50s and 100s (working up to 100 fly endurance, a big goal for this season). So what is it--try to go fast with more rest, or go faster then reduce the rest as much as possible, or both? Which is more important?

Opinions on this?

art_z
November 27th, 2007, 03:13 PM
I've had those revelations on occassion, unfortunately, its rarely in a meet.
:shakeshead:

Slowswim
November 27th, 2007, 04:01 PM
I've had those revelations on occassion, unfortunately, its rarely in a meet.
:shakeshead:

Why? Every one I talk to says thay are sooo much faster in meets than in practice?

art_z
November 27th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Why? Every one I talk to says thay are sooo much faster in meets than in practice?

I swim faster in a meet than practice, but rarely get the feeling that I am just flying. my problem is I compete once every year or two, but I train 4 to 5 times a week. I need to compete more . Usually the race just feels forced.

quicksilver
November 27th, 2007, 05:57 PM
I have a question about the interval thing. .... So what is it--try to go fast with more rest, or go faster then reduce the rest as much as possible, or both? Which is more important?

Opinions on this?

My opinion...a mix of both. Speed sets are extremely tough. But they may not build the foundation for endurance racing.

The speed sets (lactate sets) can actually take more out of you than the big yardage days. However fast repeats of 100's may not teach you how to pace a 200. Maybe I'm old school..but interval training with low rest is the ideal way to take you into the discomfort zone. Having an aerobic base is important unless 50's are your focus events.

I like to train 2 days of tight intervals ...lots of yards.
And 2 days of skill sets and speed work. ...less yards, high quality.

At the end of the day...swimming with ideal technique is really important... no matter what speed it's done at.

Red60
November 27th, 2007, 11:15 PM
My opinion...a mix of both.

I like to train 2 days of tight intervals ...lots of yards.
And 2 days of skill sets and speed work. ...less yards, high quality.

Very useful, concrete stuff. I'm planning to begin incorporating weights in December, so having a plan like the 2 and 2 you've just defined makes a great deal of sense.

Thank you, Quicksilver!