PDA

View Full Version : Paul's swimming blog

Pages : [1] 2 3

pwolf66
November 23rd, 2007, 12:01 PM
It's not going to be as interesting as Ande's but I realized when I was powerlifting 10 years ago that this is the best way for me to track and evaluate my progress so here it is.

pwolf66
November 23rd, 2007, 12:05 PM
21 Nov 2007

SCY OMO

300 swim, 100 kick w/u
6x100 Free on the 2:00, goal to hold 1:10, :06,:05,:05,:06,:06,:04
50 EZ, 50 Kick
8x25 Fly on the :30 - goal to hold :17 (I wanted to do it with fins but my left calf cramped up big time on the first one)
50 EZ, 50 kick
100 w/d

Trying to do a session during lap swimming is an exercise in frustration.

Paul

pwolf66
November 23rd, 2007, 12:09 PM
23 Nov 2007

SCY with team

300 w/u
6x75 Free on 1:15 - goal was to hold :55 and I was slightly under that every rep.
6x50 (Fly/Back/Br)x2 on 1:00
200 Kick - I have GOT to work my kick more.
200 Pull
6x50 Free/Stroke on 1:00
3x50 Back on 1:00 - descend :41,:38,:35
3x50 Free on 1:00 - descend :48,:34,:29
6x25 Stroke - Back
6x25 Free - descend to AFAP :21,:18,:16,:15,:14,:13
100 w/d

Free is starting to feel really strong, I'm able to hold my times on reps better than I could before and I'm not as tired.

rtodd
November 23rd, 2007, 07:30 PM
Look forward to reading.

pwolf66
November 24th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Today was a down day both mentally (no drive to be in the pool) and physically (right shoulder was hurting).

I think I over did it a bit this week as I raked about 12 lawn bags of leaves on Thursday. Plus I do not think that I am quite up to swimming 4x week.

24 Nov 2007
SCM with team

500 w/u - I realized that my shoulder was not cooperating.
4x200 Free Descend on 3:00 - completed the first one. Then sat out the 2nd 100 of the 2nd and completed the third. Got out on the 4th and did some additional shoulder stretches to see if I could get the shoulder to play along. On a scale of 1 to 10, it was feeling about a 6.
100 Kick
150 pull
4x100 IM descend - 1st one OK. But on the 2nd Fly length my shoulder went to about a 3. So at this point I got out and iced it.

1400 in total

Not a very satisfying workout from both a mental and physical perspective but I'm going to rest it and come back on Monday and see how it feels.

Paul

pwolf66
November 29th, 2007, 01:50 PM
OK, back in the pool finally.

29 Nov 2007

Shoulder started at about a 6.5-7 on a scale to 10.

SCM with team

500 w/u (shoulder 6)

75x6 IM on 1:30 (shoulder 7)
50x4 Stroke on 1:00 (Back) (shoulder 8)

25x2 Free easy on :30
25x2 sprint kick on :30
25x2 Free Sprint on :30 (shoulder 8)

100 Pull, 100 Kick

50x12
1-3 Fly on 1:05 - right arm went to about a 4 so last 2 were 1 armed fly.
4-6 Back on 1:00
7-9 Breast on 1:10 - sat out one due to laughing/sucking water.
10-12 Free on 1:00

25x10 Free on :30
25x8 Stroke on :30 - Breast so it worked out to be about 3-4 seconds rest between reps. Only did 6 reps, sat out the first 2.
25x6 Free on :30 - Worked on 1 breathing each
25x4 Stroke on :30 - IM order
25x2 Free AFAP - did both in about 13.5 or so.

100 free EZ (i.e. steerage <g>)

2850m

Got home, iced shoulder 3 cycles 15 min per cycle. PLus my wonderful wife went above the call of duty and gave my shoulder a very nice massage.

Paul

The Fortress
November 29th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Are you doing your rotator cuff exercises, eh? Speedwork and fly are hard on shoulders (in my experience), so give yourself some recovery workouts too.

Your team sure does a lot of sprinting for a masters team. Thanks for posting.

aztimm
November 29th, 2007, 03:01 PM
Thanks for sharing Paul. It is nice to see workouts from someone more my speed, so I can compare your workouts to mine. Please keep up as you can.

I've also had problems with my right shoulder, but I've never had anything done or had it looked at. I've taken off weights for about 3 weeks, and will probably stay off them until late Dec/Jan due to some upcoming travel. I hate doing fly to begin with, so I'll take any excuse to not do it, or sub in some breast instead.

pwolf66
November 29th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Fort: witht he RC stuff, not as often as I need to. I will be starting a dedicated weight training program next year and that will be a part of it. Yeah, the weekdays there are 2 workouts posted, one distance, one sprint. Take a wild guess which one I choose??? :bolt: Weekends are the bummer cause it's only distance but that's the only workout(s) that I KNOW I can make so we'll see what happens.

aztimm: Thanks. I'm doing this because when I was competing in powerlifting 10 years ago, I found it helpful to do this and to also read the logs of others. Been in the pool little over 2 months now. I've been doing solely pool work, I haven't lifted anthing heavier than a Coke can in almost a year so I need to get weight work back in my diet. And to get a lot more core work in. Swimming is great and I've lost another 5-7 pounds since I started and adding weights will only help that process.

Paul

Redbird Alum
November 30th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Paul -

What age group are you in? Do you see yourself more a long axis (free/back) or short axis (breast/fly) swimmer? Just interested as it will help me gauge my workouts against your own.

I have to swim OMO all the time due to schedules and no close team, so I can relate to your comment about "lap swim" frustrations.

Thanks for posting!

pwolf66
November 30th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Paul -

What age group are you in? Do you see yourself more a long axis (free/back) or short axis (breast/fly) swimmer? Just interested as it will help me gauge my workouts against your own.

I have to swim OMO all the time due to schedules and no close team, so I can relate to your comment about "lap swim" frustrations.

Thanks for posting!
Happy to help.

Well, using your terms I'm a mix. I'm a Free/Fly guy.

Currently 41 with about 2 months in the pool. 6'3" 260.

In a previous life, I was about 3/4 of a rung below the elite swimmers in the early 80s but never took it seriously enough to make that last step. Always relied more on strength than technique so this reinvention of a swimming 'career' has been both enlightening and VERY frustrating as I have been trying to break down all the bad habits of trying to 'power' thru the water and instead focus on gliding thru. Finally seemed to click on Free but the other strokes are still lagging.

My AIM info is in my profile and I'm more than happy to chat with you.

And swimming during lap swim?? ugh.

Paul

The Fortress
November 30th, 2007, 02:45 PM
And swimming during lap swim?? ugh.

Paul

That's virtually all I do ... :lmao: Can't work on starts that way though. :(

Aside from the rotator cuff exercises, weight lifting and core work should help your shoulders too. My ART doc told me that my labrum is no longer a sorry piece of inflamed mush! he, he

pwolf66
November 30th, 2007, 05:10 PM
That's virtually all I do ... :lmao: Can't work on starts that way though. :(

Well, whenever I try to swim during lap swim, there's always at least 2 people in each lap lane. Not only that but I rarely see somoene is the proper speed lanes even though there are big ASS boards on each end of the lanes that say Slow, Medium, Fast on them.

Then there's the issue of a) trying to ask them if you can join them, then b) trying to communicate how to swim in the lane (i.e split or circle) or god forbid c) passing them at least 4 TIMES while doing a 200 warmup.

I have about given up swimming during lap swim. I only seem to be able to do moderate free or back, god forbid trying to do a sprint Fly set. And whenever I try to do a timed set, it seems that the other folks arrive at the turn right before I'm supposed to push off. Karma I guess. Not to say that I am such an elite swimmer but it seems that there aren't too many folks (i.e I have never seen one while I have been swimming) who do more than go up and down the pool. Again, not that there's a problem with that, for them, but for me, that is just not very fufilling.

Fortress: As I said to you a couple of weeks ago in a private message, I admire and envy your drive and dedication to put in the work that you do, but I tried to swim today during lap swim and have decided that unless I KNOW beyond a shadow of a doubt that I can get my own lane, trying to get a workout in outside of team time is just not happening.

Sorry, I will now go sit in my corner and chew on my raw meat.

Paul

rtodd
November 30th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Paul,

I started swimming a bit over two years ago and I went through some shoulder issues which I only recently overcame. I think my conditioning and swim strength improved faster than my shoulder could accomodate. I battled tendonitis etc until the shoulders strengthened, but I swam through it all which helped with imprinting correct form, as when the form was wrong I would get a pain signal.

I lived in a weight room my whole life, but lift no more to go easy on the shoulders. I don't feel bad since I can do more pullups now than ever. I should do some leg stuff though.

I still "manage" the shoulders, but they are much better now and I can now train hard 5 workouts a week with 2-3 recovery workouts.

You should be careful on the shoulders and don't let them start to click or develop sharp pain during the catch and power phase of the arm cycle.

If 260 is your weight, fine, if not drop the weight, this will take strain off your shoulders. This is one of my issues.

Keep us posted.

pwolf66
December 1st, 2007, 03:45 PM
1 Dec 07

SCM with team

500 swim, 100 kick w/u
Broken 1350: 3x (5x25, 1x25 Sprint Kick, 4x50, 100 Pull) - Fly, back, breast
3x50 - Start in the middle of the pool
100 Warm down

2200m

Short but a very tiring workout. But my shoulder felt OK thru the Fly portion.

And then what I've been waiting for all month: MASSAGE!!!!

Caught between a rock and a hard place with regards to prepping for Zones next weekend. But will continue to swim the team workouts. Getting ready for SCY Zones/Nats will be a _little_ different tho as I plan on developing a little more structured training plan. Only way I'm gonna get where I want to go which is:

SCY
50 Free - sub 23
100 Free - sub 52
100 IM - sub 1:00
50 Fly - Sub 26

Paul

pwolf66
December 2nd, 2007, 04:14 PM
2 Dec 07

Short workout while my daughter was practicing with her team.

SCM

300 w/u

25x4 Fly on :30
25x4 Back on :30
25x4 Br on :35
25x4 Free on :30

25x4 Free descend on :30
50x4 Free descend on 1:00

25x4 Sprint free with fins on the 1:15 - The first one was :15, the 2nd one I really focused on my body position and it was also :15 but I noticed that I was not getting on top of the water and my head position was too high. Last 2 I concentrated at keeping my eyes on the bottom of the pool and went :12.

100 w/d

1200m in about 23 minutes

SCM Zones are next weekend so I'm not sure if this will help or hurt. I'm feeling all over the place in my training but come January will be focusing on a solid training plan.

Paul

funkyfish
December 2nd, 2007, 06:18 PM
I have about given up swimming during lap swim. I only seem to be able to do moderate free or back, god forbid trying to do a sprint Fly set. And whenever I try to do a timed set, it seems that the other folks arrive at the turn right before I'm supposed to push off. Karma I guess. Not to say that I am such an elite swimmer but it seems that there aren't too many folks (i.e I have never seen one while I have been swimming) who do more than go up and down the pool. Again, not that there's a problem with that, for them, but for me, that is just not very fufilling.

I ran into a similar situation last year while swimming during lunchtime. Seems that was the time when the triathletes liked to go swim. As the pool got crowded I shared a lane with what looked like two of the faster swimmers. Ultimately it broke down to stroke work/sprint work for 25s for me, and I put on a tank top for extra drag as well.

Nothing against triathletes (I'm going to try an indoor triathlon in 2 months), and most of them can run and bike circles around me, but I've discovered that I need to swim at "non-peak" times to get a solid practice in. It's amazing how open the pool can be at 5:00 in the morning.

:bump::bump::bump::bump:

pwolf66
December 2nd, 2007, 06:50 PM
Funkyfish,

If any of the folks swimming laps were triathletes, I'm pretty sure the race would be over before any of them finished the swim.

Paul

pwolf66
December 4th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Thought that I would hit one last practice before Zones.

4 Dec 04

400 w/u

Decided to do some speed work.

4x50 Free Sprint on 2:00
2:00 rest
4x50 Fly/Back, Back/Br, Br/Fr, Fr/Fly
4x100 - Kick down/swim back - Fly, Back, Br, Free

At this point, my shoulder was twinging and the water was soooo hot. We checked and it was 84.6 degrees. YUK.

Got out. Not terribly happy but we'll see how it goes this weekend.

Paul

pwolf66
December 5th, 2007, 02:51 PM
And now I have strep. Terrific. At least I have it now when the antibiotics have 3 days to work as opposed to Friday. Yeah, right.

Julie Roddin
December 5th, 2007, 04:39 PM
And now I have strep. Terrific. At least I have it now when the antibiotics have 3 days to work as opposed to Friday. Yeah, right.

OMG that is not good. I'm sorry you're sick! Are you still going to go up to Rutgers for the meet?????

rtodd
December 5th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Paul,

Rest up and go. Good luck.

pwolf66
December 5th, 2007, 09:06 PM
OMG that is not good. I'm sorry you're sick! Are you still going to go up to Rutgers for the meet?????

Here now. Staying in Somerset. Doing the NYC thingy with the family tomorrow and Friday. Hopefully I won't feel like roadkill tomorrow.

Paul

Blackbeard's Peg
December 5th, 2007, 11:54 PM
good thing you're away from here; the 3-4" of snow have brought the region to a halt. only thing is that I hear we're supposed to get more up at Rutgers this weekend. could make for a long week. not weekend... week.

see you then!

pwolf66
December 6th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Well, I feel like road kill that's been run over about 20 times. Nothing like tooling around NYC in 25-30 degree weather. This sucks.

Paul

pwolf66
December 8th, 2007, 02:55 PM
OK, even with all the negativity, illness and walking, I'm still pretty happy with my swims today. Except for the start of 50 Back. Once again my feet slipped at the start. Still won the heat with a decent time. This was very annoying as I practiced about 10 starts during warmup and my feet never slipped. The pad in my lane (Lane 5) was pretty slick.

100 Free: 1:01.37 - First sign that I was in trouble was that off the thrid turn my pecs were burning. Now, shoulders, triceps, etc I can understand but my PECS???
100 Breast: 1:21.72 - After the 100 Free experience, I was going to scratch, even as the event started I was going to scratch but I swam it. Went too deep on the start and was riding the line on my second stroke. Last turn was a train wreck. Gotta work on that.
50 Back: 35.65. Nothing like slipping at the start. Only put me a full body length behind everyone. But still came home pretty strong and won my heat.
50 Fly: 30.29. Gridge race with BP. And I was on the outside lane next to him. Swam a solid 25 but I think I was short stroking myself as my stroke count at the turn I used in warm ups left me 2 feet short at the turn so had to kick in. Ugh. Gotta work on that too. Won my heat and beat BP by a body length.

All in all, happy with the results. Nabbed best times in every event and snagged 2 of my teams records :-)

Paul

rtodd
December 8th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Solid. Now don't you feel better you went?

pwolf66
December 9th, 2007, 04:43 PM
So it's day 2 and I'm pretty sore and my right trap is hurting. And I get to start with 100 IM. Warming up, my stroke was suffering for Fly but I thought that I could muscle thru it.

So I get on the block and for some reason I start to pull myself forward then realize that the starting signal hasn't gone off. I _thought_ that I had gotten myself back to a resting position but apparently I was wrong. I just wish they had recalled the heat and told me I was DQ'ed rather than making me struggle thru that length of Fly. That HURT.

100 IM: 1:10.71 was my time but I DQed.
50 Free: 27.25. Another funny thing. I could not find my goggles so I went to my spare set. Well, the one thing that I didn't do was tighten them up. So off the blocks they roll down, not a huge problem, except they roll down RIGHT ACROSS MY MOUTH!!!!!!! As soon as I realize this I immediately decide to no breathe the first 25. Flipped a little too early at the wall and got almost no push. The first breath I take is 75/25 air/water, so now I'm choking slightly. But still a good swim and I'm certain I could have gone sub-27 if the goggles hadn't turned into a racing bit.
50 Breast: 37.28 - I thought that this was a good swim until I touched and saw my time. I split a 37.9 on my 100 Breast on Sat. I haven't taken a good look at the video my wife took so not sure what went wrong.

All in all some good times considering the strep throat and the walking around NYC on Thursday and Friday.

Lessons learned:
1) Sightsee AFTER the meet
2) If you have to change goggles, make sure they are adjusted correctly
3) HOT TUB, HOT TUB, HOT TUB!!!!!!

Paul

pwolf66
December 10th, 2007, 09:26 AM
OK, now that I have had some time to think about this weekend's meet I have come to the following conclusions:

1) Need to reduce bodyweight by about 12 pounds. Dragging too much load thru the water.
2) Need to increase strength. Will be going back to the gym starting in January. Training plan to follow. Combine building some additional muscle mass with #1 should result in about a 16-20 pound loss of body fat.
3) Need to increase endurance. I am still falling off way too much in 100 Free. Part of that might have been the earlier activities and illness but it is always a good thing to increase.
4) Strengthen my kicks, especially my SDKs. I am swimming way too much with just my upper body, need to build legs. Getting a monofin for Christmas so need to incorporate that.
5) Increase flexability. Hamstrings and calves are way too tight.
6) Fuel the machine. Get my eating habits better suited for my goals.
7) Get more sleep. Need to get as close to 8 hours a night as possible. Currently averaging about 6.5 or so.
8) Concentrate more on Free and Fly. While I still need to improve my Back and Breast to help with IM, I need to focus more on improving my Free and Fly as those are my preferred strokes.
9) Get mentally tough. Need to focus on my goals and STAY focused. Do the whole practice, do what I need to do and stay focused. This is one of the HUGE ones.

Paul

The Fortress
December 10th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Good thing there's not too many things on that list. :lmao:

fanstone
December 10th, 2007, 09:54 AM
1) Need to reduce bodyweight by about 25 pounds. Dragging too much load thru the water.
2) Need to increase strength. Will be going back to the gym starting in February. Training plan to follow. Combine building some additional muscle mass with #1 should result in about a 16-20 pound loss of body fat, plus some bike and running.
3) Need to increase endurance. I am still falling off way too much in 50 Free. Part of that might be the fact that I train randomly, maybe 3Xweek.
4) Strengthen my kicks, especially my SDKs. I am swimming way too much with just my upper body, need to build legs and learn how to use them. I kick like a triathlete (no kick?)
5) Increase flexability. Hamstrings and calves are way too tight. Too old to do that.
6) Fuel the machine. Get my eating habits better suited for my goals. I eat okay.
7) Get more sleep. Need to get as close to 8 hours a night as possible. Currently averaging about 6.5 or so. I need to get less sleep.
8) Concentrate more on Free and Fly. While I still need to improve my Back and Breast to help with IM, I need to focus more on improving my Free and Fly as those are my preferred strokes.
9) Get mentally tough. Need to focus on my goals and STAY focused. Do the whole practice, do what I need to do and stay focused. This is one of the HUGE ones.

I copied from your list and agree with most everything. I changed some numbers. You have a great plan! I use to die the last 25 in the 100 free, but lately have been losing speed in the last 10 meters of the 50 free. I do a 1,000 o.w. meter race about 6 times a year. My last times have been 2 to 3 minutes slower, which is way too much for that distance. Take care, billy fanstone

pwolf66
December 10th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Good thing there's not too many things on that list. :lmao:

Yeah, I figure about the time I age up to 65-69, I should have about half that done.

Paul

quicksilver
December 10th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Currently 41 with about 2 months in the pool. 6'3" 260.

Based on the very short time that you've been back in the pool...you are doing extremely well.
Good luck with the training.

Blackbeard's Peg
December 10th, 2007, 11:15 AM
50 Fly: 30.29. Gridge race with BP. And I was on the outside lane next to him. Swam a solid 25 but I think I was short stroking myself as my stroke count at the turn I used in warm ups left me 2 feet short at the turn so had to kick in. Ugh. Gotta work on that too. Won my heat and beat BP by a body length.

Congrats, Paul, a fly well swum. :cheerleader: My fly did not work out so well for me this weekend, as i couldn't seem to get myself going (esp for the 100:dedhorse:), and had a similar issue as you with stroke counts and extra space. I guess it would help to swim SCM a bit more, eh?

-jeff

swimshark
December 10th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Sounds like you had a good meet, even with the things going against you. Congrats!!

When is the next meet for you?

Alison

pwolf66
December 10th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Videos of my swims. Welcome any comments.

50 Free
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njnp0nVfMv0

50 Back - no comments on the start. My feet slipped :frustrated:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw8D99GxlrI

50 Fly
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEEU7_ArfQQ

Paul

pwolf66
December 10th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Sounds like you had a good meet, even with the things going against you. Congrats!!

When is the next meet for you?

Alison

Thanks.

I was thinking about going 50 Free in the PVS January Open. Still not sure. Would like to do both the 50 and 100 in that meet but they seem to realize that 100 on one day, 50 and 200 on the other. Unlike some Masters meets.

Other than that, I haven't really thought about it.

Paul

ande
December 11th, 2007, 10:29 AM
congratulations on your swims
I'll catch your swims when I get home
YT is one of the many blocked sites on this PC

a

OK, even with all the negativity, illness and walking, I'm still pretty happy with my swims today. Except for the start of 50 Back. Once again my feet slipped at the start. Still won the heat with a decent time. This was very annoying as I practiced about 10 starts during warmup and my feet never slipped. The pad in my lane (Lane 5) was pretty slick.

100 Free: 1:01.37 - First sign that I was in trouble was that off the thrid turn my pecs were burning. Now, shoulders, triceps, etc I can understand but my PECS???
100 Breast: 1:21.72 - After the 100 Free experience, I was going to scratch, even as the event started I was going to scratch but I swam it. Went too deep on the start and was riding the line on my second stroke. Last turn was a train wreck. Gotta work on that.
50 Back: 35.65. Nothing like slipping at the start. Only put me a full body length behind everyone. But still came home pretty strong and won my heat.

All in all, happy with the results. Nabbed best times in every event and snagged 2 of my teams records :-)

Paul

pwolf66
December 11th, 2007, 12:04 PM
As I start to put together a training plan I want to post my goals for SCY Nats.

Core
50 Free - 23.5
100 Free - 51.00
50 Fly - 26.00
100 IM - 1:00.00

Secondary
100 Fly - 1:00.00

Tertiary
50 Back - 30.00

Those are my main focus events and the ones that I am going to be training towards. I need one more NQT to be able to swim those events as I made the NQT for 50 Free. If I can grab 2 more NQTs, I might think about swimming one more event but those 5 are my focus. The 100 Fly is a big leap as I have yet to swim that event but I'm going to be doing more fly work to improve my 50.

pwolf66
December 11th, 2007, 10:02 PM
congratulations on your swims
I'll catch your swims when I get home
YT is one of the many blocked sites on this PC

a
Thanks, Ande. I welcome your feedback.

Paul

talne621
December 11th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Good swims. Thanks for posting the backstroke video. I am in lane 4.

The Fortress
December 11th, 2007, 10:42 PM
The backstroke video was pretty far away. However, as you note, your start sucked. :lmao: No matter, you'll get it next time. Did you have the squishy yellow pads? The first length and a half or so, it looked like you needed to put your head back a bit more, to lift the hips up. But then at the end you seemed to put it back more. Also, it's a 50. Arms should not be moving in slo-mo. Speed up the SR.

Your free and fly looked good. It did, as I think you noted earlier, look like you misjudged the finish a bit in fly. So hard to hit the wall right in fly ...

pwolf66
December 12th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Thomas: Sorry I didn't introduce myself. That weekend I was in a fog.

Fort: I SAID no comments on the start. Grrrrrrr. But you're right about the SR. In the race I don't feel like it's that slow but the video don't lie. Plus I need to really improve my underwater work. I came up way too early off the turn.

Paul

The Fortress
December 12th, 2007, 11:02 AM

Fort: I SAID no comments on the start. Grrrrrrr. But you're right about the SR. In the race I don't feel like it's that slow but the video don't lie. Plus I need to really improve my underwater work. I came up way too early off the turn.

Paul

Sorry. I just couldn't resist. lol. My regular starts are not so great either. And this situation is not helped by the fact that my pool is closed for swim meets both weekends before my meet. Grrr.

Aside from being great fun, I think that monofin that's on your xmas list will help your underwater work significantly. Plus, great for the core and legs.

SwimStud
December 12th, 2007, 11:17 AM

Paul

Paul...this will make you feel better...there are some other vids including Fort doing 50 back here too.

pwolf66
December 12th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Monday: No workout, recovery from meet
Tuesday: No workout - had to go to work early, grrrrrrr
Wednesday - no practice on Wednesdays, GRRRRRRRRR.

Tomorrow: I'm swimming tomorrow come heck or high water, dammit.

pwolf66
December 13th, 2007, 09:03 AM
OK, I have to confess. I'm a wuss. I find myself dropping out of sets when it starts to get tough. I have got to work on getting tougher mentally and pushing thru it. Otherwise I am just wasting my time and that is not what I want to do.

13 Dec 2007

SCM with team

300 swim, 200 pull, 100 kick (used snorkel, WOW that trashed my legs)

12x25 Free on :30
11x50 2xFly on 1:05, 2xBack on 1:00, 2xBr on 1:05, 5xFree on 1:00
10x25 ??? Can't remember
9x50 Sprint kick, lane relay
8x25 (Fly/Back/Br/Choice)x2 on :30
7x50 Free pull on :55
6x25 Choice - did Free descend, 19,18,18,17,16,16 on :30

Paul

Blackbeard's Peg
December 13th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Monday: No workout, recovery from meet
Tuesday: No workout - had to go to work early, grrrrrrr
Wednesday - no practice on Wednesdays, GRRRRRRRRR.
Hey man, you should have come over to UMD last night - we (ok, well, those of us who are physically able to do so) worked on breaststroke all evening. I did a lot of breast w/ dolphin kick and were my abs sore or what!

OK, I have to confess. I'm a wuss. I find myself dropping out of sets when it starts to get tough. I have got to work on getting tougher mentally and pushing thru it. Otherwise I am just wasting my time and that is not what I want to do.
Work hard and keep yourself in the water as long as you can. If you find yourself dropping behind in a longer set, *consider* skipping a 50, only if you promise to do the entire rest of workout and make that 50 up at the end. Hang tight and deal with the pain and agony, and at some point in the next month, you WILL have a breakthrough where suddenly you find yourself w/ a second wind at the end. That is the best feeling.

-jeff

aztimm
December 13th, 2007, 03:57 PM

50 Free

50 Fly

Paul

Could you tell us what lane you were in for each event? Or did I miss that from another post?

pwolf66
December 13th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Could you tell us what lane you were in for each event? Or did I miss that from another post?

Look for the big guy in the Blue Jammers :-)

For 50 Back: Lane 5 from the top
For 50 Free: Lane 4 from the top
For 50 Fly: Lane 3 from the top

Paul

pwolf66
December 13th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Hey man, you should have come over to UMD last night - we (ok, well, those of us who are physically able to do so) worked on breaststroke all evening. I did a lot of breast w/ dolphin kick and were my abs sore or what!
-jeff

I would love to come swim with you Terps but the logistics of that makes it nearly impossible.

Paul

pwolf66
December 15th, 2007, 10:52 AM
14 Dec 07

OK, I was going to swim today but the weather was nicer than I had realized sooooo.

I played golf instead.

14 Hole walking carring my bag (quit after that cause it was getting cold).

I was +7 thru 12 but then the wind picked up and I started to tighten up and my hands were getting cold. Went Double-Double and decided it was getting too cold.

Paul

pwolf66
December 15th, 2007, 11:00 AM
15 Dec 2007

SCM with team

400 w/u

8x25 Free - Build down/Sprint back on :35
Rest 1:00
3x100 Free - Middle 2 lengths FAST on 1:45 - after this I was really feeling the lactic acid in my arms. I really felt like quitting but I didn't which I am proud of.
2x50 Sprint Kick on 1:20 - Used the Snorkel. I am noticing that the snorkel really allows me to concentrate on just kicking and I CAN'T CHEAT with arms pulls, resting on a kick board, etc so it really bombs my legs.
100 Pull
200 IM
3x100 Reverse IM order on 1:45 - I was soooooo hating these.
4x50 IM Order on 1:10
4x25 IM Order fast on :35. Took the Free AFAP in about 15.
100 EZ swim

2000m in about 55 minutes and I was really dragging at the end. A good workout that forced me to push myself thru some fatigue.

Paul

Redbird Alum
December 15th, 2007, 04:27 PM
OK, I was going to swim today but the weather was nicer than I had realized sooooo. I played golf instead.

Now this is refreshing, a blog thread that seems to emulate my own thinking! :applaud: Thanks for the honesty. Fortunately for me, we're getting plenty of ice/snow here in Illinois, so the golf thing is out of the question.

pwolf66
December 16th, 2007, 10:57 AM
16 Dec 07

SCM with team

400 swim, 100 kick, 150 pull w/u

100 Free best effort - 1:09
100 kick

Main set
1x25 Free sprint kick
Rest :15
1x50 free moderate kick - this was supposed to be a 'recovery' :rofl: I dunno what that means with regards to kicking, there is no recovery currently for me when kicking. :help:
Rest :15
8x75 Free descend on 1:20. :05,:04,:03,:01,:00,:59,:01,:59
R :15
1x25 ez

100 IM Best effort - 'best' effort? uh-huh. 1:21
100 pull

25 Fly sprint kick
50 Fly moderate kick
25 Fly

150 w/d as I was DONE.

2000m

Back to back practice's are tough. Now to find out how hard tomorrow's practice is going to be.

I still need to work on driving myself thru fatigue. :mad:

Paul

pwolf66
December 17th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Each session will start with
Warm up Treadmill for 10 minutes at moderate pace
Stretching 15 minutes targeting hamstrings and calves

Week 1

Monday
Resistance Training (SetsxRepsxWeight)
Barbell Squat 1x10
Leg Extension Machine 1x10
Leg Curl Machine 1x10
Front Lat Pull Downs 1x10
Bent Over Barbell Rows 1x10
Rope Crunches 2x20
Leg Lifts - 2x20
Push Ups 2x10

Wednesday
Standing Front Military Press 1x10
Incline Barbell Press 1x10
Standing Lateral Dumbell Raise 1x10
Front Lat Pull Downs 1x10
Standing Alternating DB Curls 1x10
Rope Crunches 2x20
Planks 3x30 seconds
Barbell Squats 1x25x45

Friday
Incline BB Press 1x10
Front Lat Pull Down 1x10
Bent Over BB Row 1x10
Leg Press 1x10
Leg Extension 1x10
Leg Curl 1x10
Crunches 2x20

Week 2

Monday
Barbell Squat 2x10
Leg Extension Machine 2x10
Leg Curl Machine 2x10
Front Lat Pull Downs 2x10
Bent Over Barbell Rows 2x10
Rope Crunches 2x20
Leg Lifts - 2x20
Push Ups 2x12

Wednesday
Standing Front Military Press 2x10
Incline Barbell Press 2x10
Standing Lateral Dumbell Raise 2x10
Front Lat Pull Downs 2x10
Standing Alternating DB Curls 2x10
Rope Crunches 2x20
Planks 3x30 seconds
Barbell Squats 1x25x45

Friday
Incline BB Press 2x10
Front Lat Pull Down 2x10
Bent Over BB Row 2x10
Leg Press 2x10
Leg Extension 2x10
Leg Curl 2x10
Crunches 2x20

Weeks 3 & 4
Same as week 2 but target 15 reps per set

Now to just find a gym that I can join that won't bankrupt me.

Paul

pwolf66
December 18th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Good swims. Thanks for posting the backstroke video. I am in lane 4.

What happened to you? I spotted you a good body length lead and you faded :thhbbb:

Paul

pwolf66
December 20th, 2007, 10:48 PM
20 Dec 2007

SCM with team

400 swim, 100 kick, 200 pull w/u

4x50 Free on 1:00
R 1:00
4x75 IM on 1:45
4x50 Free on :55
4x25 Stroke on :35 - Back
4x50 Stroke on 1:10 - Fly/Back, Back/Br, Br/Free, Free/Fly
4x75 IM on 1:40
4x50 Free on :50
4x25 Choice on :35, did free descend and AFAP on last one, came in at 14 seconds.
200 Pull w/d

Took 50 minutes and I was blowing hard. But did it all and didn't quit :cheerleader:

2500m

Right shoulder's feeling a little creaky right now. Not bad, just chirping a little.

Paul

pwolf66
December 22nd, 2007, 11:36 AM
22 Dec 2007

SCM with team

400 swim, 100 kick, 150 pull w/u

8x75 Free on 1:15 50 Build, R :05, 25 sprint
50 EZ
6x50 on :55, 25 Build, R :05, 25 Sprint
50 EZ
100 Kick
3x200 on 3:15, Was hitting the wall on 150 on the first 2, gutted out the full 200 on the last one.
100 EZ
2x25 Sprint, first on NB on :14, R; 45 second one 1 Breath on :15

2400m in :52

Feel good. Wish I could have gutted out all 3 200s but something to work on.

Paul

ande
December 22nd, 2007, 01:44 PM
first, say what lanes you are in by each link in this thread and
on the front page and title of each youtube page
also explain how the lanes are numbered
is the far side lane 1 or lane 8

50 free reads
"I am in lane 4 from the top in the blue suit."

50 fl reads
"50 meter butterfly at 2007 Colonies zone SCM ch"

50 bk reads
"50 meter backstroke at 2007 Colonies ZOne SCM c"

50 free

start
bend over more so you have less distance to move on take your mark
work on your SDK to go further off your start before you break out

turn / streamline break out
looked shallow and you came up very soon, didn't even go 5 meters underwater, at least get past the flags

did you jam your touch?

50 fly is really hard to make out
bad vantage point or not enough zoom

50 bk
can't really make out much
you need to turn your arms over faster and develop and use your SDK

ande

50 Free

50 Fly

Paul

pwolf66
December 22nd, 2007, 02:10 PM
first, say what lanes you are in by each link in this thread and
on the front page and title of each youtube page
also explain how the lanes are numbered
is the far side lane 1 or lane 8

50 free reads
"I am in lane 4 from the top in the blue suit."

50 fl reads
"50 meter butterfly at 2007 Colonies zone SCM ch"

50 bk reads
"50 meter backstroke at 2007 Colonies ZOne SCM c"

50 free

start
bend over more so you have less distance to move on take your mark
work on your SDK to go further off your start before you break out

turn / streamline break out
looked shallow and you came up very soon, didn't even go 5 meters underwater, at least get past the flags

did you jam your touch?

50 fly is really hard to make out

50 bk
can't really make out much
you need to turn your arms over faster and develop and use your SDK

ande

Good advice, will work on the labeling thing.

I tried to get my wife to use some zoom but no go. Looking at the files in QuickTime gives a little better view.

Free: yep, I noticed that first thing. So in practice I've been working on holding my streamlines off the turn for a count of five. This is getting me well past the flags on every turn. Good advice on the start, didn't even consider that. Will work on that.

Back: yeah, why is in the race you feel like you're doing one thing but the film shows you were totally wrong? I could have sworn I was turning over faster than that. Definately need to work on that.

Fly: What I'm trying to work on is pressing my chest into the water. I'm still lifting my shoulders WAY too high on each stroke and that's just killing me.

pwolf66
December 23rd, 2007, 11:10 AM
23 Dec 2007

SCM with team

300 swim, 150 kick, 150 pull w/u

6x125 Free, first 75 EZ, last 50 build on 1:50, I skiped the first 50 on the 5th rep, lats are really sore. :frustrated:
50 EZ
2x100 IM Descend on 1:45
3x100 Free descend on 1:50 - 1:19, 1:16, 1:14
50 EZ
8x50 IM order, 2nd 50 faster than first on 1:10.
150 pull

2450m in :55

Lats are really sore at orgin. See how they do tomorrow.

Paul

pwolf66
December 24th, 2007, 09:57 AM
24 Dec 2007

SCY with team

Got there a little late.

300 w/u

4x150 - Free/Fly/Free, Free/back/free, Free/br/fr. fr/fr/fr (this one was confusing :thhbbb:) on 2:15
4x100 IM on 1:25
4x100 Free on 1:20
100 pull, 100 kick
6x75 IM on 1:00
8x50 Free on :45
100 pull

End of practice board.

I then decided to do some additional work on my own.
2x100 Free stretched out as long as possible and 3 SDK off every turn. on 1:45
6x25 Fly on :45 - trying to press my chest to the water and breath down not up. I'm still not getting it as my shoulders are still coming out too high.
50 Back nice and slow.

3250y in about 1:10

Back-back-back practice for the first time. Felt good about it all things considered. Not much sleep the last 2 days as family things are really upping my stress level.

Merry Christmas to all!!!!!!

Paul

aztimm
December 24th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Wow, good to see someone is swimming today....my team swims at the local university, they're closed today and tomorrow, so no swim workouts for us. We do have workouts Wed-Fri, thankfully.

I did a long run yesterday (8.35 miles according to my iPod) and plan a mid-distance tomorrow (about 6). Funny, as my long runs get longer, so do my short and mids... I ran with a gal I used to work with last Thurs, she thought she'd be about a 10 min/mile, which I thought would be a nice relaxing pace....we ended up 8'33"/mile (she was shocked). If you want to get rid of some weight, I've found running to be the easiest/fastest way to do that, it keeps me about 175-180 (170-175 in summer). The Nike+iPod is a great way to keep motivated, even for solo runs.

pwolf66
December 24th, 2007, 02:13 PM
If you want to get rid of some weight, I've found running to be the easiest/fastest way to do that, it keeps me about 175-180 (170-175 in summer). The Nike+iPod is a great way to keep motivated, even for solo runs.

I think my Orthopod is looking to buy a new Ferrari so I'm sure he would love for me to take up running but my body will tell me VERY quickly that it is :notworking: and that unless I want to end up :toohurt: that I should give it up. Running is not an option for me, it wasn't 20 years ago and it sure isn't now no matter how much it might sound like a good idea.

But, considering that I reduced my body weight by 50 pounds in 3 years while increasing my muscle mass by over 30, I think just adding a good weight training routine would be better. It's that or end up :cane:

Paul

pwolf66
December 28th, 2007, 07:33 PM
27 Dec 2007

8pm SCM with team

Not too many folks there plus I had 2 slices of pizza about 2 hours before practice. Note to self: bad idea.

Not motivated and just not feeling it. Don't remember what the workout was, only did about half of it.

1400 uninspired meters

Paul

pwolf66
December 28th, 2007, 07:48 PM
28 Dec 07

6:30am SCY with team

got in late

300 w/u

4x75 IM on 1:20
200 kick
4x75 Breast descend on 1:30
50 EZ
150 pull
4x75 Free on 1:10
200 kick
4x75 free descend on 1:15
50 EZ
150 Pull
4x50 choice on :50
100 w/d

2600y

Then I returned to the pool so I could coach a workout for some 9yo swimmers from our team in prep for a meet tomorrow. After the session, I decided to do a quick sprint workout and play with my new monofin.

11:30am SCY omo

100 w/u
8x25 underwater SDK on 1:00
R 2:00
4x25 Sprint on 1:00 :15,:15,:14,:12
100 w/d

500y

I love my new MF. I was VERY concerned that I would not even be able to get it on my feet and getting the 2nd foot in is......interesting. Sure it's a hoot to watch. Doing the shooters, I found myself getting some very positive feedback on both maintaining a solid streamline and initiating the kicks at my hips. I look forward to playing with this more and need to consult the Mistress of the Monofin for some MF centric workouts.

Paul

The Fortress
December 28th, 2007, 10:37 PM
28 Dec 07

6:30am SCY with team

got in late

300 w/u

200 kick
4x75 Breast descend on 1:30
50 EZ
150 pull
4x75 Free on 1:10
200 kick
4x75 free descend on 1:15
50 EZ
150 Pull
4x50 choice on :50
100 w/d

2600y

Then I returned to the pool so I could coach a workout for some 9yo swimmers from our team in prep for a meet tomorrow. After the session, I decided to do a quick sprint workout and play with my new monofin.

11:30am SCY omo

100 w/u
8x25 underwater SDK on 1:00
R 2:00
4x25 Sprint on 1:00 :15,:15,:14,:12
100 w/d

500y

I love my new MF. I was VERY concerned that I would not even be able to get it on my feet and getting the 2nd foot in is......interesting. Sure it's a hoot to watch. Doing the shooters, I found myself getting some very positive feedback on both maintaining a solid streamline and initiating the kicks at my hips. I look forward to playing with this more and need to consult the Mistress of the Monofin for some MF centric workouts.

Paul

8 x 25 on the 1:00? That's quite a lot of rest. (I just did 20 of those with my team on :40 and had loads of rest.) Although I guess if you're doing them AFAP ... While you're getting used to it, you could do 16 x 25, alternating hard UW and EZ swim. Do 4 point kicking, both side, back and front! Do the spin fly drill. I love that one.

Once you get used to your MF, I'll chime in. Because of my taper and recent nasty cold, I'm seriously alcohol and MF deprived over the holidays.

Enjoy the shooters!

pwolf66
December 29th, 2007, 07:20 AM
Yeah on the 1:00 did give me a lot of rest but considering that this was my first time using it I wanted to be cautious and concentrate on the feel thru the water. Next time will be more reps on a shorter interval.

Paul

pwolf66
December 30th, 2007, 11:29 AM
30 Dec 2007

9am SCM with team

3x200 Free on 2:45
50 EZ
4x25 IM order build on :30
2x100 Kick on 2:00
50 EZ
3x200 IM on 3:15
50 EZ
4x25 Free build on :30
2x100 Pull on 1:45 (no paddles) - my pacing is still all screwed up, I thought I was going about 1:25 and instead went 1:14,1:12
50 EZ

2600m

I was pretty proud of myself, this is the first time that I have done all the 200s. Was really laboring at the end but in a good way.

Paul

jaegermeister
December 30th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Great swimming today! Congratulations and keep up the hard work. I have been swimming for about 3 years or so, consistently for 1 1/2, and I very much recall the challenge of regaining the ability to do those hard sets.

I just started reading your posts here and really enjoy them. Your honesty is very admirable. Its a great story, too, from power lifter to accomplished masters swimmer.

pwolf66
January 1st, 2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks, Tom. I appreciate it.

1 Jan 08

4 months till SCY Nats

11am SCM with team

4x25 Fly on :35
R :30
4x50 Free descend on 1:00, 39,37,35,32
R :45
4x25 Bk on :35 - took it easy to recover
R :30
R :45
4x25 Br on :40
4x100 Free descend on 1:50, 1:26,1:24,1:21 and barely finished, really had trouble catching my breath.
4x25 Free kick build on :40
4x150 on 2:15 1st Free, 2nd Kick, 3rd Free, 4th IM
100 w/d

2600m

And then if that wasn't enough :drown: we then played 6 on 6 water polo in the well for 30 minutes and that just KILLED me. But it was fun as all heck.

Paul

Jazz Hands
January 1st, 2008, 05:02 PM
Paul,

What are your focus events at Nationals? Are you lifting weights now? If you are, I'd like to see those workouts in here as well. If you aren't... well, you know you should :)

pwolf66
January 1st, 2008, 05:07 PM
Actually I start back tomorrow am with a short 3 week acclimation program. It's listed on Page 3. Once that's over with I will move onto a balanced strength/mass building workout.

Focus events are:

Primary
50 and 100 Free and 50 Fly

Secondary
100 IM and 50 Back

Tertiary
100 Fly

pwolf66
January 2nd, 2008, 04:33 PM
2 Jan 08

6am gym workout

10min treadmill, .72 miles

Barbell Squat - 45x10, 95x10
Leg Extension Machine - 35x10, 65x10
Leg Curl Machine - 35x10, 65x10
Front Lat Pull Down - 50x10, 90x10
Bent Over Barbell Rows - 45x10, 85x10
Rope Crunches - 90x20, 130x20
Leg Lifts - 20, 20
Push Ups - 15,15

Yes, it's pretty basic and yes, it's pretty light but it's been 4 years since I've done any weight work. Found myself ready to do a lot more weight and sets than just ease back into it but I squashed that feeling and stuck to the planned workout. The only exception was the push ups, I found that I banged out the 10 without much effort at all so decided to go 15 instead. Now I only have 2.67 more weeks of this 'crawl before I walk' routine.

Paul

Jazz Hands
January 2nd, 2008, 07:22 PM
I'm surprised you're doing leg extensions. That's pretty redundant with squats.

pwolf66
January 2nd, 2008, 07:53 PM
JH, not really. True that squats are a quad dominant exercise, but they work most of the major muscle groups to some extent.

I have leg extensions included because they are an isolation movement that targets the quads. I included 2 quad dominant exercises at the start to energize the quads which are the largest muscle group in the body and in doing so to kick start the whole body's muscle development.

Paul

pwolf66
January 3rd, 2008, 10:03 PM
OK, I had forgotten how much the first couple of weeks back in the gym sucked. I was extremely sore this morning and slept in, promising myself that I would swim this evening. I left work late, got home at 7:30 and actually managed to get myself to the pool in time for 8pm practice.

3 Jan 08

8pm SCM with team

200 swim, 150 kick, 150 pull w/u

4x75 Free descend on 1:20, 1:05, 1:02, :57, :52
200 Pull
4x75 Back on 1:30
200 Kick
4x75 Breast on 1:30, 50 pace, R :05, 25 Sprint - ok what sick SOB puts this RIGHT after 200 KICK??? My quads just gave up on me here.
200 Free for time. Thrashed my way to 2:42
50 EZ
3x100 IM on 1:45 - OMG I'm gonna DIE!!!!!!!
150 Free

2500m

While I was suffering the whole time with being so sore and not being able to really extend my stroke, after it was over I was very glad that I did go as the soreness is probably much less than if I had skipped.

Paul

aztimm
January 4th, 2008, 06:04 PM
OK, I had forgotten how much the first couple of weeks back in the gym sucked. I was extremely sore this morning and slept in, promising myself that I would swim this evening. I left work late, got home at 7:30 and actually managed to get myself to the pool in time for 8pm practice.

I took most of Dec off from weights (and some swimming and running) due to some strange travel I did (I'll explain if anyone is interested). Anyway, I started back last week, and my team was using a different pool setup LCM, and for some reason I decided to do doubles on Thurs-Fri, "to catch up from missing on Mon-Tues," (Christmas Eve and Christmas). By last Sat, my body was trashed. But I kept up, and actually lifting more seemed to help, and I think (hope) I'm over the worst of it.

Just keep plugging away, I think that's the best way over the soreness.

pwolf66
January 4th, 2008, 09:54 PM
OK, being in gym starting over again is going to be even harder than starting over again in the pool.

/whine

I WANNA LIFT MORE!!!!!

/whine

Sorry, this whole crawl before you walk thing combined with being SOOOOOOO weak is driving me bug-nuts.

4 Jan 08

8pm gym session

Treadmill, 10min .75miles (goal here is to work towards hitting 1 mile in 10min, then I up the length to 15min and build from 1mile to 1.5 miles, up it again to 20min/1.3 miles working to 2miles)

Standing front military press 45x10, 75x10 - this was my favorite lift back in the day and at one time I could rep 225. Sad how long gone those days are.
Incline BB Press - 45x10, 85x10
Standing Lateral DB Raise (arms bent) - 10x10, 15x10
Front Lat Pulldowns - 110x10, 130x10
Standing Alt DB Curl - 15x10, 15x10
Tricep Rope Pushdowns - 50x10, 70x10
Rope Crunches - 150x20, 170x20
Planks - 4x30 seconds w/30 sec rest between.

Paul

Weight: 258.5

geochuck
January 5th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Paul I have been reading your blog for sometime now.

Not being sarcastic but wondering do you really like what you are doing. I would have given up long ago. I am lazy and could not do it.

pwolf66
January 5th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Sometimes I wonder but the simple fact that I feel better now that I ever did when I was powerlifting makes me realize that I must be doing something right.

Also, I have realized (and so have a lot of folks I interact with on a daily basis) that I am much calmer and easier to deal with now than I was just 6 months ago. I find myself slower to anger and when I do get angry, it is a very brief thing and I can move on a lot better than I used to.

I can understand the lazy angle and I think that you have earned the right to be lazy whenever you want :thhbbb:. For me, I just can not afford to be lazy. I invest money for my retirement, it would be a critical failure on my part not to invest time and effort in myself to be able to be physically fit and ENJOY my retirement. I learned a long time ago (and unfortunately seem to forget this for periods of time), I LOVE to move and enjoy being active so, at least with regards to swimming, this is an activity that I will continue for the rest of my life.

As for enjoying this, I would say that I am enjoying the results but certain stages of the journey have been difficult. But I love being in the water. One of my major faults (and one that has unfortunately been passed to my daughter) is that I am VERY hard on myself with regards to physical performance. I have to learn to let it go and that is also one of the reasons why I have set up this training log. So I can express how I'm feeling at the time, get it out and move on.

I appreciate you (actually everyone) taking the time to read this. All feedback is appreciated.

case in point, you asking 'wondering do you really like what you are doing' has made me stop and really think about it and realize, hell yes, I am enjoying this. As in all things some parts are less enjoyable than others but that's what makes up an 'experience'

Salut

Paul

geochuck
January 5th, 2008, 11:16 AM
A great reply to such a stupid question.

I do understand the way you feel and am jealous of your dedication.

pwolf66
January 5th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Not so stupid, Goerge, if we don't periodically stop to THINK about why we do something, then eventually it will just be a never ending series of mindlessly going thru the motion sessions. And this applies to everything in life (god, I'm getting more Zen every day) family, job, relationships, etc.

As for dedication, I only WISH I had been HALF as dedicated 25 years ago as I am now.

Paul

jaegermeister
January 5th, 2008, 06:31 PM
/whine

I WANNA LIFT MORE!!!!!

/whine

Some would call this an iron deficiency.

Redbird Alum
January 5th, 2008, 08:04 PM
... if we don't periodically stop to THINK about why we do something, then eventually it will just be a never ending series of mindlessly going thru the motion sessions.

Paul -

Very well said, Zen or not! This is especially important for swimmers who spend most of their time in solo practices (sans team environment). I find it is all too easy to become "rutted" if I do not stop and rethink why I am in the pool and what I want to do with it.

Keep up the good work!

pwolf66
January 6th, 2008, 02:49 PM
6 Jan 08

9am SCM with team

300 swim, 150 kick, 200 pull w/u

[4x125, 4x75, 4x25]x2

1st - 125's Free descend on 1:50, 75's Breast stretch out on 1:30, 25's Free EZ, sprint, EZ, sprint
2nd - 125's IM - 50 Free, 75's Free descend on 1:15, 25's EZ

150 EZ pull

That was practice, I stayed around and did a little more

4x25 Fly on :35
4x25 Free Sprint no breath with Fins on 1:00, :14, :13, :12, :12
100 EZ

2900m

Paul

The Fortress
January 7th, 2008, 09:43 AM
As for enjoying this, I would say that I am enjoying the results but certain stages of the journey have been difficult. But I love being in the water. One of my major faults (and one that has unfortunately been passed to my daughter) is that I am VERY hard on myself with regards to physical performance. I have to learn to let it go and that is also one of the reasons why I have set up this training log. So I can express how I'm feeling at the time, get it out and move on.

Don't worry. This sounds a bit like me when I started. It was physically grinding at first because I was injured out of the box. Plus, I was hard on myself. Not so much now after 2+ years. I train and race the best I can, but don't beat myself up over mistakes. My last meet was one mistake after another, but I tried to focus on the positive. After all, we're not professionals. We're just striving to do the best we can.

pwolf66
January 9th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Sleep is becoming a real issue. Getting to sleep, staying asleep for more than an hour, waking up not feeling like death on toast. I have so far not worked out Monday morning, not swam Tuesday morning, not worked out Wednesday morning.

This is really starting to seriously bug me and might actually start a descending cycle.

I NEED SLEEP!!!!

Paul

The Fortress
January 9th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Nothing is more of a downer than a vicious bout of insomnia. My empathy and sympathy.

Turn the TV off, sleep alone if you have to, eliminate caffeine, relax before bedtime and take drugs if necessary in the short term.

poolraat
January 9th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I feel your pain Paul. I can't remember the last time I had 6-7 hours of uninterrupted sleep. I usually wake up hourly after sleeping 2-3 hours. Sometimes, like this morning, I wake up around 4 and cannot go back to sleep. I usually get up and go swim when the pool opens at 6:00. This morning, instead of swimming, I shovelled the 8" of snow that fell last night, off the walks and driveway.

aztimm
January 9th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I have so far not worked out Monday morning, not swam Tuesday morning, not worked out Wednesday morning.

Usually, I get the best sleep when I'm working out on a regular basis. I almost always fall asleep within 5 minutes after I lay down, and usually sleep until my alarm goes off during the week (sometimes a pee break in the night). I swam yesterday morning, ran last night, and think I fell asleep as soon as I laid down.

If you do need some help, I've found Tylenol PM (or its generic) handy to have. I used it on a transatlantic flight in Dec and got a good 5+ hours of sleep. Not saying I woke up 100% refreshed in Europe, but I was able to make the most of the day from 11am onward.

On the rare occasion I have trouble sleeping at home, I've found a glass of milk with Kahula helps too.

pwolf66
January 9th, 2008, 08:17 PM
OK, so I took my frustration and channeled it into a decent workout.

9 Jan 2008

6:45pm - gym session

Treadmill 10min, .78 miles (4)

Squat - 45x10(3),115x10(6),115x10(7)
Seated Leg Curl - 95x10(3), 110x10(4)
Seated Calf Raise - 70x12(7),70x12(7)
Incline BB Press - 45x10(2), 95x10(4), 105x10(6)
DB Flyes - 10x10(3), 15x10(6)
Straight Leg Raise - 20(7),20(8)
Cable Crunch - 150x20(5), 170x20(7), 190x20(8)

Done in 45 minutes.

The numbers in the parens indicate level of effort on a 1-10 scale.

Paul

JMiller
January 10th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Sleep is becoming a real issue. Getting to sleep, staying asleep for more than an hour, waking up not feeling like death on toast. I have so far not worked out Monday morning, not swam Tuesday morning, not worked out Wednesday morning.

This is really starting to seriously bug me and might actually start a descending cycle.

I NEED SLEEP!!!!

Paul

Your body is going through some serious changes right now. Your metabolic rate is going into warp drive, and this will effect your sleep patterns, and there isn't an easy way around this. Take naps if you can, and drink lot's of tea. Camomile at night, and rooibos during the day, add a table spoon of Essiac into each. Also, make sure to eat properly during the day, frequent smaller meals... Stay away from coffee, if you need to perk up, have earl grey tea instead...
If you still can't sleep after a few days of this, try having a jet bath for 30 minutes before bed...

Best Regards,
Jonathan

geochuck
January 10th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Sleep - My father told me for twenty five years he could not go to sleep.

He visited me for 4 months every year from 1978 til he passed.

I used to find him cat napping during the day. I would wake him up and ask him if he was sleeping. He would come out of this deep sleep and say (no just restin me eyes).

Could it be we don't need all of that night time sleep.

pwolf66
January 10th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Once again, sleep or lack of it, hit me this morning. So I did the evening workout.

10 Jan 2008

8pm SCM with team

400 swim, 150 kick, 150 pull w/u

6x50 Free on :55
4x25 Fly on :30
2x75 IM on 1:30
4x25 back on :35
4x25 Br on :35
4x50 Free on :55
100 w/d

2650m

Now, I was really sore from yesterday's workout so I dogged the 25s and 75s BUT I went real strong on all the 50s and was clipping along at 34-35 seconds per. I was really focused on long strong pulls and was hitting the same mark on the flip turn on every rep. Was hitting a good streamline and breaking out past the flags every time. I felt really good on every 50, even the later ones when I was starting to tire. All in all I'm very pleased with this one. One of the better level of efforts that I have put together.

Paul

Jazz Hands
January 10th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Paul, get yourself some pills to help with the insomnia. Melatonin works pretty well. Diphenhydramine is a sedative and it can give you a bit of hangover, but it will really knock you out if you need it.

The Fortress
January 10th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Paul, get yourself some pills to help with the insomnia. Melatonin works pretty well. Diphenhydramine is a sedative and it can give you a bit of hangover, but it will really knock you out if you need it.

Ha, ha, ha. No way. This stuff doesn't work for a bad or ongoing case of insomnia. Only for some mild stuff. If you want to go the pill route, and it's not bad for a short term fix, get some ambien. Do not get Lunesta -- doesn't work as well and that stupid butterfly commercial makes me ill.

Jazz Hands
January 10th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Not everybody responds the same way. Paul could be the sort of person who responds well to the OTC stuff, and it's a worth a shot if it's bothering him. My brother uses diphenhydramine a few times a week, and he's been doing well with it.

The Fortress
January 10th, 2008, 11:27 PM
If you've never taken OTC stuff, it might work. I'm assuming you have. I think people in their 40s also are different. For me, OTC stuff never works. Benadryl gives you a worse hangover effect than ambien.

If you don't want to use drugs and the sleep issue becomes chronic, you can use the mayo clinic's behavioral conditioning system to snap yourself out of it. It's a very tough fix; I've done it myself.

Check out this prior thread from my draculina twin:

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=8029&highlight=sleepless+lawrenceville

Jazz Hands
January 10th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Behavioral conditioning for insomnia? How does that work?

Personally, I don't always sleep well. An OTC sedative-hypnotic will just plain knock me out for at least 8 hours.

The Fortress
January 11th, 2008, 09:00 AM
I tried to explain it in post #5 of Beth's "sleepless in lawrenceville" thread.

pwolf66
January 11th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Hey folks, this is MY blog :thhbbb:

I'm trying not to do the whole 'better living thru modern chemistry thing' and what I'm dealing with is not the common definition of insominia. I can go to sleep and remain asleep for 1-2 hours, then I wake up, then go back to sleep for 1-2 hours, wake up, etc.. The major issue there is I'm not getting to stage 3 sleep or if I do it's not for very long. Last night was a little better cause I fell asleep at about 11 and didn't wake up again until 4:30 or so. BUt I am altering my routine. I'm not drinking any caffeine after 6pm, trying to reduce/eliminate TV viewing after 8:30pm and reducing my reading. We'll see how that goes.

Paul

The Fortress
January 11th, 2008, 09:32 AM
But it's an open forum, so we get to interject just like we did on JZ's blog. Ha, ha. :thhbbb:

Um, that is a common form of insomnia, intermittent sleep or frequent awakening. Many different types of insomnia.

pwolf66
January 11th, 2008, 09:40 AM
Yeah, they'll let anyone in here. :thhbbb:

Yeah, I realize that it is insomnia but the (wo)man on the street common definition is laying there for hours not being able to get to sleep. Just trying to shed a little light on what I am experiencing.

fastjack
January 11th, 2008, 09:40 AM
I think we need a separate blog site. Is there a blog site that does not allow comments???

pwolf66
January 11th, 2008, 10:02 AM
That's on Jim's every expanding ToDoList

pwolf66
January 12th, 2008, 10:36 AM
12 Jan 2008

I knew I had to leave at about 9:40 so I upped the effort level knowing that I was not doing the whole hour.

9am SCM with team

300 swim, 150 kick (no fins), 150 pull

4x25 Fly 1 arm drill on :40
4x25 Br 3 kick 1 pull on :45
4x25 Back, 6 kick, 1 pull

7x75 Free on 1:20 (could have gone on 1:15 but my lane mates were not up for it), held :56 except for the last which was :52

Had to get out at this point

1575m in about :40

Paul

pwolf66
January 15th, 2008, 04:24 PM
You know it's bad when you leave work early to swim.

Had to take Erika to her MRI so I decided to leave 30 min early than I had to and hit the pool since once again, I did not sleep well and could not get up for 5am practice.

15 Jan 08

SCY omo

300 w/u

6x50 Free on :50
4x25 Fly on :30
6x50 Free on :50
4x25 Back on :30

I was completely gassed at this point but luckily I had to go anyway.

1400y in about 25 minutes

Paul

pwolf66
January 16th, 2008, 01:25 PM
Just for giggles.

2007 SCM Rankings for 40-44 Men

50 Free
28 Wolf, Paul R41 27.25 (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/swim.php?s=69259) GERM 20071207COLZNS (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/meet.php?MeetID=20071207COLZNS)

100 Free
35 Wolf, Paul R41 1:01.37 (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/swim.php?s=69261) GERM 20071207COLZNS (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/meet.php?MeetID=20071207COLZNS)

50 Back
44 Wolf, Paul R41 35.65 (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/swim.php?s=69256) GERM 20071207COLZNS (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/meet.php?MeetID=20071207COLZNS)

50 Br
44 Wolf, Paul R41 37.38 (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/swim.php?s=69260) GERM 20071207COLZNS (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/meet.php?MeetID=20071207COLZNS)

100 Br
27 Wolf, Paul R41 1:21.75 (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/swim.php?s=69262) GERM 20071207COLZNS (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/meet.php?MeetID=20071207COLZNS)

50 Fly
39 Wolf, Paul R41 30.29 (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/swim.php?s=69257) GERM 20071207COLZNS (http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/meet.php?MeetID=20071207COLZNS)

So to look back at 2007, I am pleased with how I did. With only about 3 months of swimming, I put some good swims in and have set a very solid base to build off of. The most suprising is the 100 Br result. Is that because I swam it well, or that most folks hate Evilstroke? So we'll see how I do in my training in '08.

Paul

The Fortress
January 16th, 2008, 01:40 PM
The most suprising is the 100 Br result. Is that because I swam it well, or that most folks hate Evilstroke?

Good job!!

For edification on this point, you should read "Why do most masters swimmers hate breaststroke?"

http://forums.usms.org/showthread.php?t=6876&highlight=hate+breaststroke

matysekj
January 16th, 2008, 02:05 PM
The most suprising is the 100 Br result. Is that because I swam it well, or that most folks hate Evilstroke?

Paul, the real reason is that anyone can do a 50 of any stroke or a 100 free. It takes a real swimmer to tackle the 100 breast. :duel:Keep it up and we'll have you taking on the macho 200 breast in no time.

Glider
January 16th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Ahhh the 200 Breast - an event for REAL men and women.

Jim: Back in September I went 2:33.87 for the 200 BR as a 48 yo at a meet directed by our USMS president (see the results here: http://www.dixiezone.org/Results/0709peachtree.htm).

Does that time look familiar to you or what!!! Gotta get those results submitted to the USMS database somehow.

Mark

matysekj
January 16th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Jim: Back in September I went 2:33.87 for the 200 BR as a 48 yo at a meet directed by our USMS president (see the results here: http://www.dixiezone.org/Results/0709peachtree.htm).

Does that time look familiar to you or what!!! Gotta get those results submitted to the USMS database somehow.

Hey, I resemble that time! Maybe that's why that meet isn't in the database....

We have all of the current season's meet results that we've received loaded into the new database now for all 3 courses. We have not received the Peachtree Pentathlon results. To all - if your meet from this year isn't loaded, harass your meet director about it and point them to the page at http://www.usms.org/comp/meets/submitmeet.php for how to submit their meets. To Mark - I'll harass this particular slacker of a meet director for you. Who can resist an opportunity to harass the president?

The results from past years will slowly be added to the database over time, and the individual results listings will be made available again soon. It will take quite a bit of time to load up all of these old results, but they will get there eventually.

pwolf66
January 16th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Keep it up and we'll have you taking on the macho 200 breast in no time.

And the thought that runs thru my head when I read this is not a very flattering one. :thhbbb:

Paul

The Fortress
January 16th, 2008, 03:07 PM
And the thought that runs thru my head when I read this is not a very flattering one. :thhbbb:

Paul

No kidding. Don't go over to the dark side, Paul!

pwolf66
January 16th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I guarantee that 400 IM will happen waaaaaaaaaay before 200 Breaststroke. And that ain't anytime soon.

Paul

pwolf66
January 16th, 2008, 09:54 PM
16 Jan 2008

WEIGHTS!!!!! :party2::party2::party2:

Treadmill 15min, 1.21miles (6) - Was getting bored with 10min so increased it to 15 and threw 2 2min 6mph runs in there.

Squats 45x10, 135x10, 135x10 - I had forgotten how much I missed these. Still weak but more concentrating on form than weight.
Seated Leg Curl - 125x10, 140x10
Seated Calf Raise - 80x15, 80x15
Incline BB Press - 45x12, 115x10, 135x10
DB Flyes - 15x10, 20x10
Leg Raises - 20,20,20
Cable Crunch - 160x20, 180x20, 200x20
Standing DB Hammer Curl - 15x10, 20x10
Standing EZ-Bar Curl - 45x10, 45x10

Couple of observations

1) Need to work on my shoulders more, noticing definate weakness in front delts
2) Glad I swam 4 months before I went back to the gym cause I never used to be able to hit my abs quite that hard, nor did I enjoy it like I am.

Blackbeard's Peg
January 16th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I guarantee that 400 IM will happen waaaaaaaaaay before 200 Breaststroke. And that ain't anytime soon.

Paul, any thoughts to do a 2fly in the near future?
Add Dave Barra and I to the mix, put a bottle of tequila on the line and you may have a great race!

pwolf66
January 17th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Paul, any thoughts to do a 2fly in the near future?
Add Dave Barra and I to the mix, put a bottle of tequila on the line and you may have a great race!

I'll just buy you a bottle, that will save me from having to go thru that.

Order of execution:

400 IM
200 Br
200 Fly

I'm still flailing thru 50 Fly, the concept of a 100 is staggering to me right now.

pwolf66
January 17th, 2008, 09:42 AM
17 Jan 08

5am SCM with team

Got there a little late

500 swim w/u

Decided to try a distance workout. Then I saw the board:

10x400 Odds Pull, 2: Broken 100s R :10, 4: Kick, 6: Odd Free, Even Stroke, 8: Free Swim

So I hung for the first 2 400s then I just had to :whiteflag:and move lanes.

400 Pull
400 Free by 100s R:10
2x50 Br on 1:05
5x50 Fly Kick down/Swim Back on 1:05
5x50 Kick
5x50 Pull
5x50 Stroke (back)
5x50 Free descend on :55
10x25 Free on :35
8x25 Free on :30
6x25 Free on :25
4x25 Free on :20
100 EZ

I will never look at 28 25s the same again, the last 4 were touch-gulp-turn-go. Whew, I be tired.

3450m in about 1:20. I just realized that this is the farthest I have gone since I started. Whew. No wonder I feel tired. But it's a great tired.

Paul

Blackbeard's Peg
January 18th, 2008, 10:19 AM
hey man, way to go getting in the heavy duty yardage, and working on those 400s! sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet!
we did lots of short stuff ourselves last night - you'd've enjoyed it!

pwolf66
January 18th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Thanks,

That first 400 almost killed me. The biggest problem was trying to keep the pull bouy from getting away on the flip turns. My legs were shaking.

I think what I am going to do is one of the Tues/Thurs am practices will be distance. Hopefully next week's won't be quite as harsh as that one and I can hang a little longer.

Paul

The Fortress
January 18th, 2008, 05:24 PM
I don't see how 10 x 400 is going to help you in our ongoing grudge race. But you stick with this plan and I'll keep doing Esther's workouts. Muhahaha.

pwolf66
January 18th, 2008, 10:01 PM
I have a plan :thhbbb:

Now, it may not be a good plan, it may actually lead to me :drown: or I might get :toohurt: or even end up needing a :cane: but at least it's a plan.

Part of the plan is to convince you that this sprinting thing is for wusses and the Truth lies in distance. Failing that I'm gonna switch you to de-cafe.

Paul

pwolf66
January 19th, 2008, 12:44 PM
19 Jan 08

9am SCM with team

400 swim, 200 kick, 100 pull w/u

OK, this started badly. During the 400 swim, I was working on increasing my distance per stroke and all of sudden, I noticed 'Hey, there's the T" flip-BANG-owowowowowowow, banged my right heel right on the top of the wall. Hurt like hell when I did it, still hurts.

2x[3x50, 2x150, 3x50, 2x150]

1 - 3x50 back descend on 1:00, 2x150 Free, 3x50 Free descend on 1:00, 150 pull, 150 kick (did another 150 pull)
2 - 3x50 Free descend on 1:00, 2x150 IM on 3:00, 3x50 back descend on 1:00, 2x150 descend on 2:30

100 w/d

2600m in 1:00

Got home and the back of my right heel was a nice dark blue. Iced it down. I felt really good in practice and am PISSED that I freaking hurt myself and it cost me a very nice session. At least I gutted it out and finished but geeeeeze.

Paul

pwolf66
January 19th, 2008, 05:28 PM
OK, so I iced the heel and it looks really interesting right now.

But, my daughter's friend had a birthday party at where else? The pool, I drop her off and then I decide that I'm going to do some stroke drills.

3pm omo

6x25 Free on :45 - working to maximize distance per stroke. I was hitting 8-9 strokes per length.
6x25 Br on 1:00 - worked to hit a nice long streamline. Going about 4.5-5 SPLs.
4x25 Back on :45 - same drill as Free but I was only hitting 11-13 SPLs. Don't understand why the big difference. Need to find somewhere to get some underwater footage taken.
4x25 Fly - was hitting 6-7 SPLs. This one really made me realize that I need to SLOW DOWN on Fly. I'm trying to go to fast and that is not helping me.

Paul

Am I sick or what? Am I a chlorine addict? Just disturbed in general?

jaegermeister
January 19th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I have done the heel thing. Many of us have, I'd suggest.

Doing any core work?

pwolf66
January 19th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Tom: In my gym sessions (which have only been once a week, need to get to 3 times per week) I hit my abs pretty hard. I also squat which works the core and will be adding deadlifts (another exercise that works the core) so if I can do a work 3xweek, squat and deadlift once a week and swim 3-4 times a week that should work my core enough. I hope.

My heel is now a SPECTACULAR shade of blue/black and also has a really nice 1.5x1 inch blood blister. Ugh. Really banged the crap out of it.

Paul

ourswimmer
January 19th, 2008, 10:43 PM
You may be surprised how long it takes your heel to heal. I smacked my heels on the gutter on December 2 (2007) and even now if I push on the right heel I can find the tender spot. Twice in the four weeks after doing it I really set it off again by bumping it lightly on a chair leg. It didn't interfere with hiking, lifting, spinning, or swimming, but slip-on shoes were really uncomfortable for several weeks.

pwolf66
January 19th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Our: Not really, I know this is a 6-8 week healing process and even then there will still be residual soreness with regards to that area. It will more like be a 3-4 month healing process and that's if it doesn't take any more abuse. :frustrated:

The Fortress
January 19th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I have a plan :thhbbb:

Now, it may not be a good plan, it may actually lead to me :drown: or I might get :toohurt: or even end up needing a :cane: but at least it's a plan.

Part of the plan is to convince you that this sprinting thing is for wusses and the Truth lies in distance. Failing that I'm gonna switch you to de-cafe.

Paul

You're right. It's not a good plan. Never happen. Others have tried and failed. Distance is overrated; speed is awesome.

Take care of that heel! That sux.

pwolf66
January 20th, 2008, 08:26 AM
I still plan on being there tomorrow. But any fin work for me would be a Bad Idea.

Paul

geochuck
January 20th, 2008, 09:08 AM
You're right. It's not a good plan. Never happen. Others have tried and failed. Distance is overrated; speed is awesome.

No matter what anyone says a well balanced workout a little of everthing is the best way to go. Flippers should always be used sparingly and not during race season.

Paul it is surprising what we can do, even with an injury.

blainesapprentice
January 20th, 2008, 07:55 PM
I think you could argue that some of the best distance swimmers are faster than the best sprinters....

look at the first 50/100/200 of the best 1500m, 400m, 800m swimmers. It's pretty dang close to the top times swam by the sprinters in their 50/100/200...all things considering--like the fact that they have another 1000m+ to swim.

I can't really say anything because I am/was a sprinter for so long...but I definitely have a new respect for those distance swimmers that go out in their first 100/200 as fast as I swim my individual 100/200 and keep nearly that pace for the entire race...I'm a long way from being that much of a distance swimmer:laugh2:

Take care of that heel! That sux.

pwolf66
January 21st, 2008, 04:19 PM
"Hello, 911? I'd like to report an attempted murder"

So there I was thinking that it might be a good idea to try other things. So I decided to drop by and work out with Fortress. OH....MY.....GOD... She is insane but in a good way. I don't remember my quads ever just BURNING like they did, even at the height of my powerlifting. I have no idea what we did in terms of distance I just know it hurt.

Oh, BTW to Mr Paul 'let's come up with something completely insane' Smith, we tried your V-scull/10 second power kick/SDK/sprint flutter kick 50s. I think we did 6 of them? I dunno, can't remember thru the pain. Ugh. Yes, they were different and YES, they hurt. But they were a very nice change of pace.

So this has caused me to rethink my current swimming fitness level. I had thought that I was about a 6.5-7 on a 1-10 scale but now, after dragging my sorry carcass from the pool, I think it's closer to a 5.

But, had fun, it was definately intense and definately what I need to work more of. And my admiration for Fortress and her level of dedication/effort continues to rise. Thanks for letting me suffer, Leslie :thhbbb:

But seriously, thanks for the workout. Believe it or not, I did enjoy it.

Paul

CreamPuff
January 21st, 2008, 04:25 PM
So this has caused me to rethink my current swimming fitness level. I had thought that I was about a 6.5-7 on a 1-10 scale but now, after dragging my sorry carcass from the pool, I think it's closer to a 5.
Paul

So funny to read this. I have a sliding (scale) downward for myself too. I used to think I was around an 8 of 10 (6 years ago). However, the more I swim and run into amazing swimmers, the lower I crawl on my scale so to speak. I'm feeling 4ish about now. Don't beat yourself up on it. There are some great swimmers out there. Sounds like you are working hard! Let's let eachother know when we feel we're at 8 or 9! :fish2:

ande
January 21st, 2008, 04:33 PM
didn't know Leslie moonlighted as a dominatrix
did it hurt so good

"Hello, 911? I'd like to report an attempted murder"

So there I was thinking that it might be a good idea to try other things. So I decided to drop by and work out with Fortress. OH....MY.....GOD... She is insane but in a good way. I don't remember my quads ever just BURNING like they did, even at the height of my powerlifting. I have no idea what we did in terms of distance I just know it hurt.

Oh, BTW to Mr Paul 'let's come up with something completely insane' Smith, we tried your V-scull/10 second power kick/SDK/sprint flutter kick 50s. I think we did 6 of them? I dunno, can't remember thru the pain. Ugh. Yes, they were different and YES, they hurt. But they were a very nice change of pace.

But, had fun, it was definately intense and definately what I need to work more of. And my admiration for Fortress and her level of dedication/effort continues to rise. Thanks for letting me suffer, Leslie :thhbbb:

But seriously, thanks for the workout. Believe it or not, I did enjoy it.

Paul

geochuck
January 21st, 2008, 04:35 PM
Should I forget my 1000m a day thing and join the crowd of insane people?

The Fortress
January 21st, 2008, 07:30 PM
Now, wait a minute here! Methinks Paul might be exaggerating just a tad. He's just not used to shooters and kicking. Apparently, "guys don't kick." Hmmm..... But he pointed his toes very nicely on the V sculling after I scolded him for cheating, so I think he can rival Paul Smith in the tutu competition. Plus, he did a couple of smoking 50s at the end of practice.

pwolf66
January 21st, 2008, 07:59 PM
Hey, you're ruining the imagery I'm trying to create here. :rant3:

She's lying. :angel:

I was a complete wreck, all the energy just cruelly SUCKED from me by this cyborg-like kicking machine. :drown:

As for the 'guys don't kick' line, I think that was taken out of context. I meant THIS guy doesn't kick, yeah, yeah, that's the ticket. :bolt:

Paul

Blackbeard's Peg
January 21st, 2008, 09:54 PM
Apparently, "guys don't kick." Hmmm.....

hmmm.... i do know for a fact that paul can kick.... my buttocks in a 50m fly! :dedhorse:

pwolf66
January 24th, 2008, 12:39 PM
24 Jan 2008

5am SCM with team

Got a late start

400 swim, 200 kick, 150 pull w/u

I just wasn't feeling very 'with-it', was very sluggish and my right calf was really tight (a result of the heel injury). Also the normal folks who swim in the 'fast' lane were missing today so the intervals were a little longer, I think that also gave me too much time to think. Usually 75's are on 1:15-1:20 and 50s are on :55.

8x75 on 1:30 1-4 Free, 5-8 IM
6x50 on 1:00 1-3 Free, Fly, Back, Br
4x25 Free

200 pull

1950m in about 45 minutes.

I just got out at this point. Just didn't want to be there at all. Feeling down right now about things in general but tomorrow's a whole new day.

Paul

Blackbeard's Peg
January 24th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Just didn't want to be there at all. Feeling down right now about things in general but tomorrow's a whole new day.
:notworking:
These kinds of days come and go. Sometimes you gotta swim through it; other times you just gotta get out. Its just one day. Ain't gonna kill you. Sometimes rest is good, especially when you're racing 100 frees soon. :mooning::mooning:

The Fortress
January 24th, 2008, 04:58 PM
:notworking:
These kinds of days come and go. Sometimes you gotta swim through it; other times you just gotta get out. Its just one day. Ain't gonna kill you. Sometimes rest is good, especially when you're racing 100 frees soon. :mooning::mooning:

I agree. I went to the pool yesterday after a run and felt like crap. I've been hitting it pretty hard the last couple weeks. I shortened my workout and left. I think it's just part of, blech, getting old and being masters. We're just not full of energy 24/7.

You're probably a bit down from your heel injury too. But remember, in masters, there's always another meet and another season. Are you going to swim the Tropical Splash? Can you go off the blocks and do effective flip turns with that heel?

pwolf66
January 24th, 2008, 06:58 PM
Are you going to swim the Tropical Splash? Can you go off the blocks and do effective flip turns with that heel?

Yes, I plan on swimming that meet. As for starts, I have no idea but that will really be the kicker. Will definately work on starts during warmups. Turns shouldn't be a problem as long as I keep my right calf nice and loose. We'll see. Luckily one of my focus events is fairly early, 50 Fly but 100 Free is the first event I swim so that will probably set the tone and also determine if I swim all my events. I was hoping to break 54 in 100 Free and 27 in 50 Fly, I have a feeling that those might be a challenge. But never try, never know.

Paul

pwolf66
January 27th, 2008, 02:56 PM
OK, so this morning I was || THIS close to no going to the swim meet after finally getting to sleep at about 3am. But I went any way.

Warm up - 300 swim, 100 free fast, 100 free streched out
6x50 Back, Breast alternated
12x25 Sprints IM order
100 Free EZ

All my seed times are the fastest times I've swam so far.

1st Event - 100 IM seed time of 1:04.51 Next to Jay Kress who's slightly faster than me and in my AG. Take out the Fly pretty well but have GOT to swim in yard pools more often as I was a half stroke short so I double kicked in. :censor: Then I went waaaaaay too deep on my push off and had to SDK 7 times and still broke out too early (I try to hit 4 strong SDKs then break out), made a good turn to breast but went waaaay too shallow. Ugh. Heard about this from SwimmieAvsFan, Muppet, etc :doh:. Good turn to free and only took 2 breaths and hammered the finish. Came in at 1:02.66 which I was very pleased with as it's an almost 2 second drop and gives me my 2nd NQT for SCY Nats.

2nd Event - 50 Fly. Seed: 27.67. I was feeling really confident on this one and felt like breaking 27 was definately reachable. Good start, 4 strong SDKs but once again I ended up in no-mans land at the turn. GRRRRRRRR. And I pushed off friggin SIDEWAYS, so horrible streamline, no SDKs. I r a swimmur :shakeshead:. And then jammed my left hand against the rope on the 2nd to last stroke. Talk about a momentum killer. Came in at 27.12. A mere 6 HUNDRETHS short of NQT. :doh: GAAAAAAAAAAAH.

3rd Event - 50 Back, seed time 32.10 (converted from SCM). I have a history of very BAD starts. So I really considered scratching this as I was really arm tired from Fly but I decided against it. WOW, my feet don't slip and I have a great start, 5 SDKs and a perfect breakout, hammer the turn, streamline not so good only 3 SDKs (need to work on that), reach a bit at the finish. Came in at 30.28. Wow, had no idea. .5 off NQT and I wasn't even considering this one of them. Need to work on back a bit more I think.

2 Relays, swam 50 free and 50 Fly.

4th Event - 50 Breast, seed 33.73. Thought I swam it well. I've been working on breast in the last 1.5 months. Came in at 33.98. Guess still more work to do.

5th and last event - 50 Free - seed 24.98. Goal was to break 24. Thought I had a good start but Swimmie and the crew were like 'Wow, you have the reaction time of a dead squirrel, you were dead last off the block', guess I need to reevaluate my technique. Took a breath at the flags that I really didn't need should have taken that out of the turn, hit a good turn but was REALLY arm weary for the last 12 yards or so. Came in at 24.35 so still a PB and an actualy NQT instead of a converted one but need to work on starts.

All in all 4 best times and 2 NQTs. And 2 more events that I am very close to NQTs.

Had fun, nice meet, nice people.

Paul

rtodd
January 27th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Good job!

I say do all the meets you can. It is good mental practice to improve composure and poise under pressure.

What type of back to breast turn do you use?

poolraat
January 27th, 2008, 05:17 PM
Great job Paul. Awesome times. :applaud:

poolraat
January 27th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Double post. WTF?

CreamPuff
January 27th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Good times! :groovy:

pwolf66
January 28th, 2008, 01:29 PM
OK, so I took a look at SCY Nats times from last year and I have come to realize that I'm still not fast enough. So I'm at a crossroads. I can continue doing that I have been doing and I might get a little faster or I can 'man-up' and really start to push myself and do the things that I know I need to do which are:

1) Lose some tonnage - currently 257 and that's just not gonna get it done. You can only go SO fast when you look like an NFL tight end.
GOAL: 240 by Nats.
Plan: really revamp the diet, ditch sodas <sob> and only drink water and milk on occasion. Bring my lunch to work EVERY day. Increase non-pool cardio.
2) Get in the pool more often. Currently averaging about 2.3 sessions per week and that's not enough.
GOAL: Work on getting average up to 3 for Feb and up to 4 for March.
3) Get focused help with strokes - I need to improve the efficiency of my strokes instead of relying on brute force. Get help with stroke work and get taped to review faults and fixes.
GOAL: Sign up for Clay Britt's power clinic in March
4) Build a better kick. This is going to be the hard one as our team practices have some kick work in them but not a lot. I need to throw a solo session in here and really build up my kicks. I know HOW, I just need to DO IT!!!
5) Any advice welcomed here.

My goal times for Nats are below, these times _should_ enable me to finish in the top 10 with the exception of 50 Breast and 100 Free and I think that these are realistic expectations based upon where I am now.

100 IM - 59.99, current 1:02.66
50 Fly - 26.00, current 27.12
50 Back - 29.00, current 30.28
50 Breast - 32.00, current 33.98
50 Free - 23.00, current 24.35
100 Free - 53.00, current 55.29

So I welcome any and all comments. And now I need to find the inner strength and drive to implement these changes.

SwimStud
January 28th, 2008, 01:34 PM
5) Any advice welcomed here.

Step away from the cookies!
Heheh Good luck Paul I seem to be going up in weight but not in size.. so it's all lean muscle addition..*ahem*

Looks like you give me a second and we go head to head on 50 BR at zones...

pwolf66
January 28th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Step away from the cookies!
Heheh Good luck Paul I seem to be going up in weight but not in size.. so it's all lean muscle addition..*ahem*

Looks like you give me a second and we go head to head on 50 BR at zones...

A second it is. So let it be written, so let it be done.

Um, cookies aren't the problem. It's pasta and bread that are my huge weaknesses.

Paul

SwimStud
January 28th, 2008, 02:25 PM
A second it is. So let it be written, so let it be done.

Um, cookies aren't the problem. It's pasta and bread that are my huge weaknesses.

Paul

Me too...the sugar is good for swimming...it's those carbs floating around post workout that get your every time!! Have you tried eating squash instead of pasta?

Blackbeard's Peg
January 28th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Paul,
A longer-term point of view would be to ask yourself "Paul, how long do you plan on doing this swim thing?" If you're looking to do this for the long haul, my POV is to keep doing what you're doing this year, shave and taper for nationals and see what happens. Its been a LONG time since you've done that, and you have no idea how that will affect your performance. My guess is that you'll shock yourself with some really fast swims. Remember, you've only been at this for what, 6 months? If you're in this for the long haul, what happens this year is really a moot point. It'll be the bar by which all other bars will be set.

pwolf66
January 28th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Paul,
A longer-term point of view would be to ask yourself "Paul, how long do you plan on doing this swim thing?" If you're looking to do this for the long haul, my POV is to keep doing what you're doing this year, shave and taper for nationals and see what happens. Its been a LONG time since you've done that, and you have no idea how that will affect your performance. My guess is that you'll shock yourself with some really fast swims. Remember, you've only been at this for what, 6 months? If you're in this for the long haul, what happens this year is really a moot point. It'll be the bar by which all other bars will be set.

Ah, the whole 'walk before you run' trick. Yeah, I know. And I should be more willing to take it slow. This is almost a mirror image of my early powerlifting, huge increases in strength happened in the first several months and then success came slower.

I see your point. And I guess I'm being just a little too eager here. Yeah, this is a rest of my life thing not a gonna quit in 4 months thing so I need to enjoy the journey instead of just rushing head long. It's just that in a little over 4 months to be swimming these times, all I seem to be able to focus on is that it doesn't seem to be fast enough when I look at others. But I need to just realize that they are not me and I am not they.

As for tapering? Wuz thet? I hear folks talk about it and I understand the concept of tapering but I'm not sure how to do it.

pwolf66
January 31st, 2008, 06:29 PM
OK, haven't swum since Sunday's meet. Right trap has been tighter than heck. Saw my masseuse Monday, that helped but it tightened back up the next morning. Will be swimming this evening so we'll see how it goes.

pwolf66
February 1st, 2008, 07:38 AM
31 Jan 2008

SCM with team

400 swim, 200 kick, 150 pull w/u

2x200 Free on 3:15
10x50 IM order on 1:00- 1:10 depending on stroke. I tried Fly/Free for all 10 but I had to switch to free at the end.
100 pull
8x50 Free descend on 1:00
I then tried 3x50 Free trying to work on going as slow as I could.

Shoulders were really tight and tired plus my abs were really hurting about an inch to the right of the xyphoid process right at the rib cage line. No matter what I tried it just hurt which made staying long in the water a real challenge. Free style was about the only stroke I could do. Forget backstroke, that REALLY hurt.

I also have a real problem with pacing. Towards the end I tried to go a slow 50m free and the slowest that I go was :44 and that was swimming with closed fists. My 'normal' pace on repeat 50s is :35. It's just frustrating especially on a long descend set (say 6-8 reps) when I come in thinking that I've taken it out slow and see that I came in at :39, it's a real pain in the arse to try and hit 7 more reps descending from a :39.
I know, I know, it's SUCH a tough problem to have I can you folks say but seriously, it is because it is causing me to spend too much energy in earlier reps and die in later ones.

2300m in about an hour

Paul

Iwannafly
February 1st, 2008, 07:55 AM
31 Jan 2008

I also have a real problem with pacing.

I have the same problem so I try and follow people who pace well, but then I wind up hitting their feet and they get annoyed with me! Either I follow and hit feet, or I lead and die later in the workout. I feel your pain Paul.

T.J.

Edward The Head
February 1st, 2008, 02:12 PM
8x50 Free descend on 1:00

Where was Pete at? Or did you manage to not let him talk you into the 50s on 50.

pwolf66
February 1st, 2008, 04:57 PM
Oh God, you know Pete? Apparently you do.

He wasn't there. Actually I haven't seen him in a couple weeks.

Paul

pwolf66
February 2nd, 2008, 12:57 PM
2 Feb 2008

SCM with team

400 swim, 200 kick, 100 pull w/u

[5x25,75,4x50,150]x3

1: 25 Fly, 75 Fly kick, 50 Fly, 150 Free pull
2: 25 back, 75 back flutter kick, 50 back, 150 free pull
3: 25 Breast, 75 Breast kick, 50 Breast, 150 free pull

50 EZ warm down.

2300m

I'm starting to become a little concerned about knee pain on breaststroke kicks. About a month ago I started having lingering pain that I just thought was soreness but lately it's an all the time thing when I whip kick. The pain is at the knee on the inside (medial) of each knee. I swam the 50 Breast with a dolphin kick instead.

Paul

pwolf66
February 3rd, 2008, 02:53 PM
OK, I am now on the 30 day no breaststroke kick and 2 week no kick plan. I'm also changing how I warm up.

I'm pretty sure that I am suffering from Breaststroker's Knee and this is a dircet result of my hamstring inflexibility.

3 Feb 08

9am SCM with team

200 swim, hamstring stretch (both legs), 100 swim, stretch, 100 swim, stretch, 100 swim, stretch.

6x125 Free on 2:15 - I feel rather proud of myself here. I led the lane and I didn't PUNK OUT!!!!!!! :thhbbb: Finished every one, last one was VERY hard. Was coming in right about 1:40. Yeah, interval could have been shorter, so sue me.
6x75 Stroke on 1:30 - back
200 pull or kick. Hmmm which one did I go for???
1x25, Fly, 2x25 Back, 3x25 Br (Back), 4x25 Free
2x100 Best effort - Free/Stroke(back). R: 1:00 between. Free was 1:08, Back was 1:30.
150 EZ

Hamstring Stretch

2500m.

Warmups will be a little shorter as I will be stretching hamstrings periodically. But this is something that I need to realize is a HAVE TO DO.

Paul

cowsvils
February 3rd, 2008, 04:32 PM
Just as a note for your developing a stronger kick, you don't necessarily need to do a "kick set" to improve your kicking. Concentrate on keeping a 4 beat kick up when you swim, this will not only build up your legs but it will also integrate it into your stroke well.

geochuck
February 3rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
Are you drafting when you run into their feet or are you a better swimmer?

I have the same problem so I try and follow people who pace well, but then I wind up hitting their feet and they get annoyed with me! Either I follow and hit feet, or I lead and die later in the workout. I feel your pain Paul.

T.J.

pwolf66
February 5th, 2008, 09:03 AM
5 Feb 2008

5am SCM with team

Warm Up:

200 swim, stretch, 100 swim stretch, 150 swim stretch, 250 swim stretch

3x150 75 Free/75 Stroke (Fly,Back,Br)
200 Pull
3x100 IM

I just quit at this point. I don't know what the problem was. I felt fine when I woke up, not tired, etc.. but I just ****ing quit here. I tried to keep myself going but I just couldn't.

I need to drop back and completely regroup because these mental 'issues' are starting to become a problem.

SwimStud
February 5th, 2008, 09:30 AM
5 Feb 2008

5am SCM with team

Warm Up:

200 Pull
3x100 IM

I just quit at this point. I don't know what the problem was. I felt fine when I woke up, not tired, etc.. but I just ****ing quit here. I tried to keep myself going but I just couldn't.

I need to drop back and completely regroup because these mental 'issues' are starting to become a problem.

Paul

That's still a mile. More than most folks do for themselves. We all get the blarghs and maybe am swims aren't your thing. I know they only happen for me when the planet's align...ack. Had a good masssage lately?

Glider
February 5th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Paul,

I think we ALL have this issue from time to time. I had it last week...see if this sounds familiar:

- Monday, 5AM: Planned 5,500 SCY workout, got out after 1,400
- Tuesday, 5AM: Made it to the pool. Took a shower and left...
- Wednesday, 5AM: Did not make it out of bed
- Thursday, 5Am: Went to bed pretty sure I wouldn't go...And I didn't
- Friday, 5AM: See Thursday...but I did go a late afternoon 3K

Two comments:

1. How's your nutrition? I had lost a lot of weight over 30 days (20 lbs.) by cutting way back on calories and carbs. That meant low energy, physically and mentally, as I knew it would, but I really need to lose some weight first.

2. Sometimes you just DO need to step back and take a couple of extra days to get some rest and let your body adapt to the training you are doing.

Bill Sweetenham, (can't remember the book, maybe Championship Swimming, I think) recommends masters swimmers take an adaptive week (or at least a few days as needed) where you basically show up and do the yardage but at a much lower intensity (basically loaf but keep the feel of the water.) I've done this with success.

Hang in there, get some rest, take tomorrow and maybe Thursday off. See how it goes Friday.

Mark

5 Feb 2008

5am SCM with team

Warm Up:

200 Pull
3x100 IM

Iwannafly
February 5th, 2008, 10:13 AM
OK, I am now on the 30 day no breaststroke kick and 2 week no kick plan. I'm also changing how I warm up.

I'm pretty sure that I am suffering from Breaststroker's Knee and this is a dircet result of my hamstring inflexibility.

3 Feb 08

9am SCM with team

200 swim, hamstring stretch (both legs), 100 swim, stretch, 100 swim, stretch, 100 swim, stretch.

6x125 Free on 2:15 - I feel rather proud of myself here. I led the lane and I didn't PUNK OUT!!!!!!! :thhbbb: Finished every one, last one was VERY hard. Was coming in right about 1:40. Yeah, interval could have been shorter, so sue me.
6x75 Stroke on 1:30 - back
200 pull or kick. Hmmm which one did I go for???
1x25, Fly, 2x25 Back, 3x25 Br (Back), 4x25 Free
2x100 Best effort - Free/Stroke(back). R: 1:00 between. Free was 1:08, Back was 1:30.
150 EZ

Hamstring Stretch

2500m.

Warmups will be a little shorter as I will be stretching hamstrings periodically. But this is something that I need to realize is a HAVE TO DO.

Paul
Hey Paul,
I had some seriously tight hamstrings, and the resulting lower back pain, after I started swimming last year. I started a yoga class (fortunately taught by a fellow swimmer) in October. My hamstring flexibility has increased tremendously from one or two classes per week and I no longer have any lower back pain! Plus, it's a whole lot easier to bend down to grab the front of the block now making my starts better.

aztimm
February 5th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Yea, sometimes I think I'm all psyched up for a tough set, I start on it, then realize I don't want to or just physically can't for whatever reason. It happened a few weeks ago, was doing some sort of distance set, then I just slid over a lane and did the sprint/recovery set (the coach actually told me he was glad I did).

On the other hand, yesterday I felt just the opposite, didn't want to do anything. We couldn't swim in the morning (water temp and chemicals), and I ended up going at 6pm. Now I rarely if ever swim evenings, and I was trying to think up any excuse not to go....but went. As soon as I was in the water I felt great, and it was a great set.

SwimStud
February 5th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Yea, sometimes I think I'm all psyched up for a tough set, I start on it, then realize I don't want to or just physically can't for whatever reason. It happened a few weeks ago, was doing some sort of distance set, then I just slid over a lane and did the sprint/recovery set (the coach actually told me he was glad I did).

On the other hand, yesterday I felt just the opposite, didn't want to do anything. We couldn't swim in the morning (water temp and chemicals), and I ended up going at 6pm. Now I rarely if ever swim evenings, and I was trying to think up any excuse not to go....but went. As soon as I was in the water I felt great, and it was a great set.

I was not feeling great... after a good SuperBowl very tired...stayed up watching post game (Giants fan). Was going to blow off the swim but my kid wanted to go so I said I'd go... I had a fair workout. Sometimes just getting to the pool is the hardest part. Other times I feel great but it just doesn't come together in warm up and the whole night suxs... Usually that's when I'm getting a cold and haven't realised it, but it affects my breathing.

poolraat
February 5th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Bill Sweetenham, (can't remember the book, maybe Championship Swimming, I think) recommends masters swimmers take an adaptive week (or at least a few days as needed) where you basically show up and do the yardage but at a much lower intensity (basically loaf but keep the feel of the water.) I've done this with success.

This describes my entire training program. :rofl:

Glider
February 5th, 2008, 11:29 AM
So, basically you are a VERY well adapted swimmer:D

This describes my entire training program. :rofl:

The Fortress
February 5th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Is this a confessional blog now?

Well, I skipped out of practice yesterday. Just had the blahs and felt like I was coming down with something. Dragging myself today.

Paul, it's hard to stay focused mentally when you feel like you're constantly tired and injured. It becomes a battle instead of something fun. Hang in there. You did great at your last meet. And we're not robots or professionals, ya know. :hug:

Glider
February 5th, 2008, 01:14 PM
Well, then you only have to do 10 Hail Marys as an act of contrition, since you only missed one day. I guess that means I get 20 Hail Marys and 10 Our Fathers. And that's not so good for my knees, either.:toohurt:

If you aint Catholic...fogeddaboutit.:thhbbb:

Is this a confessional blog now?

Well, I skipped out of practice yesterday. Just had the blahs and felt like I was coming down with something. Dragging myself today.

Paul, it's hard to stay focused mentally when you feel like you're constantly tired and injured. It becomes a battle instead of something fun. Hang in there. You did great at your last meet. And we're not robots or professionals, ya know. :hug:

pwolf66
February 5th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Fortress: I've gotten myself to a pretty good place with my swimming but I'm finding myself having trouble pushing myself to get to the next level. That's what I'm disappointed with and what I need to figure out is how to overcome that. Then again, I need to lighten up, it's only been 4.5 months back in the pool after 19 years so WTF?

Glider: Nutrition is moving in the right direction. Started a new plan Monday where I eat breakfast in the morning and bring my lunch every day and am cutting out soda (Coke). It's the last one that's gonna be HAAAAAAAAAAARD.

Paul

pwolf66
February 7th, 2008, 06:44 PM
I am VERY angry now. I really, really, really want to swim tonight but traffic is HORRIFIC. Practice is at 8 and I left my office at 6. I'm still not OUT OF DC YET!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAA.

pwolf66
February 7th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I am VERY angry now. I really, really, really want to swim tonight but traffic is HORRIFIC. Practice is at 8 and I left my office at 6. I'm still not OUT OF DC YET!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAA.

OK, so I made it home, grabbed my stuff and bolted to the pool.

7 Feb 08

8pm SCM with team

800 swim w/u broken with hamstring stretches.

[2x50 Fly on 1:10, 4x25 Free on :30, 2x50 Back on 1:05, 4x25 Br (did Back) on :35, 2x50 Br (did back) on 1:10, 4x25 Back on :35, 2x50 Free on 1:00, 4x25 Fly on :30] Whew, this was one of the hardest sets that I have done since I've been back in the pool but I did it all.
200 Kick - I sat this one out as I was overheating - pool was 85 and ambient was about the same, went outside and cooled off.
10x25 Free on :30
9x50 - 1 thru 4, IM order on 1:05, 5 thru 9 Back on 1:05
100 EZ

2400m in about an hour and I'm really tired but I feel good about it.

Paul

Edward The Head
February 8th, 2008, 10:02 AM
That's the same one we did in the morning. We were about that speed as well, except I think we did 1:15s on some of them. I was so dead after that, but then I added some 50s at the end and tried to kill myself with them. You could have swam the long stuff, that looks like fun.

pwolf66
February 8th, 2008, 10:15 AM
That's the same one we did in the morning. We were about that speed as well, except I think we did 1:15s on some of them. I was so dead after that, but then I added some 50s at the end and tried to kill myself with them. You could have swam the long stuff, that looks like fun.

Yep, same board but we only had an hour. Dyann offered a distance version and no one took her up on that. That was enough for me, that combined with the excessive heat pretty much finished me off.

Pete was there. He seems to really be struggling. Hope things are going OK with him.

Edward The Head
February 8th, 2008, 10:57 AM
You just weren't going fast enough for Pete. That was actually a pretty hard set. Though if you like the sprint stuff you're better off at night as there's only ever one lane in the mornings that do it.

knelson
February 8th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Fortress: I've gotten myself to a pretty good place with my swimming but I'm finding myself having trouble pushing myself to get to the next level. That's what I'm disappointed with and what I need to figure out is how to overcome that.

I think to get to the next level you need to do some harder workouts. You seem to average around 2,500 meters per workout in one hour. That's not much. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, that's just my honest opinion.

pwolf66
February 8th, 2008, 11:57 AM
I think to get to the next level you need to do some harder workouts. You seem to average around 2,500 meters per workout in one hour. That's not much. I'm not trying to be a jerk here, that's just my honest opinion.

These are all swam with the team so not sure I have much in the way of variance.

So what's the recommendation for target distance in an hour? Note that this hour includes a 400 swim, 200 kick, 200 pull w/u.

I dunno, it feels pretty hard to me. Maybe tightening up the intervals? But then I find myself absolutely dieing on Fly.

knelson
February 8th, 2008, 12:03 PM
So what's the recommendation for target distance in an hour?

I can usually get in 3,500 pretty easily in an hour. I swim in a yards pool, though, but I'd say you should still be able to get in at least 3,000 meters in an hour.

I guess if you're training with a team, and you're already going on the fastest sendoffs, there's not a lot you can do. Just make sure you are pushing each swim. I still think it's good to do a good amount of swimming on tight intervals, though.

Here's an example of a workout I did this week that lasted one hour.
warmup: 400 swim choice, 200 kick, 200 drill (800 yards)
6x50 on :50, 1: first 15 meters fast, rest easy, 2: fast in and out of turn, 3: last 15 m fast, repeat (300)
4x300 on 4:15 done 200 descend 1-3, hold 4, plus 100 easy (1200)
2x through:
2x(50 fast on :40, 50 easy on 1:00) fast ones same speed as 2nd 50 of a 100 race
2x75 on 1:10 easy, good technique
4x(25 fast on :20, 25 easy on :40) fast ones all out
(1100 yards total)
100 easy

total = 3,500 yards

The Fortress
February 8th, 2008, 12:28 PM
They do seem like pretty easy workouts. You're rarely doing anything over a 50. And a 200 kick doesn't count. (I'm not even sure what value sticking a 200 kick in the middle of a set has.) Even I've been doing 3500+ lately. Yesterday, I did ande's 20 x 100 and 20 x 50 swim-kicks after a warmup and drills. I did the 100s on a pretty tight interval. It doesn't all have to be tight intervals. But if it's not, they should be done with some intensity.

SwimStud
February 8th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Paul do you think that maybe you are still building a base of fitness and endurance? Are you ready for the next level physically?

I don't think you should expect miracles right off...it's been a while. Work harder by all means but don't overdo it and injure yourself.

It's taken me since Nov 06 to go from 1 mile of moderate speed old style Breast to 4k/4.5k in about 1hr 45 depending on sets, strokes and rest.

I remember when doing a certain amount felt good but comfortable, I'd add 500 yards onto my workout. I don't know if that's where you are...maybe you're getting a great workout but you're comfortable and need to add on some...

I also remember it took a bit of will power to take off 5 secs from my 100 intervals.

aztimm
February 8th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I can usually get in 3,500 pretty easily in an hour. I swim in a yards pool, though, but I'd say you should still be able to get in at least 3,000 meters in an hour.

I guess if you're training with a team, and you're already going on the fastest sendoffs, there's not a lot you can do. Just make sure you are pushing each swim. I still think it's good to do a good amount of swimming on tight intervals, though.

Here's an example of a workout I did this week that lasted one hour.

I do a similar distance/intervals as Kirk, but our real speed demons can sometimes get in 4,000 to 4,500 in an hour or so. Today was an exception, our focus set was 6 x 6:00 swims (any distance), and my lane did 300s...so we got in about 2,900...which isn't bad for a sprint/fast day (the speed demons did 400s, so they got in about 3,500). We also swim in a yards pool, other than the rare time I do a lunch workout that is setup LCM. Quite often, I'll stay 10 min late to finish a set (well our facility opens at 6am, so we usually don't start until 6:10 or so anyway).

If that is the workout you're given by the coach, you may want to talk to the coach and see if they can modify it so you can do more, even if it means staying late (if that is allowed and it fits your schedule).

Blackbeard's Peg
February 8th, 2008, 02:01 PM
They do seem like pretty easy workouts. You're rarely doing anything over a 50.

I think this has been pointed out several times in the past. I'm all for doing speed work now and then, but all your workouts seem to be short and it is no wonder GERM has no distance guys with those kinds of practices. Not having quantity should imply some sort of quality, and i'm not getting that vibe on too many of your workouts.

There are plenty of ways to do longer swims that won't upset sprinters... pull sets with a breathing pattern... 200IMs dr/sw... swimming w/ a snorkel... I'm surprised none of your teammates are lamenting about this...

Are you getting a lot of long breaks between sets?

Our sprint workout last night was 3500 yards in 75 minutes. Main set was essentially 900 yards of sprinting in 30 minutes, about 18 of which were rest (and ez 50s not included in that 900). Not a lot of yardage, but lots of quality.

pwolf66
February 8th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Kirk: Is there stroke work in there? It looks like an entirely Free workout.

Fort: I think the 200 kick/pulls are supposed to be for recovery not sure. I don't kick right now so who knows.

SS: I don't know. I'm still struggling to finish the entire board. I do swim in the fast lane and can generally keep up.

Tim: I'm sure if I did distance I could knock out more yardage but is that a good thing? Looking at the workout, it might seem like it was easy but it wasn't and even folks who had been swimming for a while struggled with it. That first 800m was swam back to back to back,etc.. on each interval.

Sure, there were times when I was able trim 5 secs off the interval but was afraid to cause of others in the lane. Didn't want them to die.

Paul

knelson
February 8th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Kirk: Is there stroke work in there? It looks like an entirely Free workout.

Yeah, all the fast swimming was really your choice of stroke. The guy leading my lane actually did everything backstroke. I did mostly free, but a couple of the 50s and 25s fly.

Looking back at the workout our coach said "we aren't going to get in much yardage today, but we'll do some fast swimming," so he considered it short. Really, though, we rarely get in much more than 3,500 in an hour. When we swim for 90 minutes we rarely swim less than 5,000.

pwolf66
February 8th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Are you getting a lot of long breaks between sets?

Our sprint workout last night was 3500 yards in 75 minutes. Main set was essentially 900 yards of sprinting in 30 minutes, about 18 of which were rest (and ez 50s not included in that 900). Not a lot of yardage, but lots of quality.

Usually only about 1-2 minutes, if that. Closer to 60 seconds.

3500yd in 75min equates to about 2800yd in 60 min, which is about 2550m. So that's in the ball park. Most workouts have a mix of stroke work in them which is good. I've never seen an all-up Free sprint workout on the board yet. But, there is starting be an element of repetition that I don't like. I just don't know what to do about it. Workout out on my own is not very viable option as the only time frames I have to work out, are either during team practice or when the pool usage is very high with age group practices. Now, next year indoor season, I'm going to investigate swimming with one of the local age group teams but until that time, I need to keep in the pool.

I would love to come down to UMD and swim but the logistics of that are just not feasible at all. I just wish that Sat am practice was at 9 instead of 10. Sigh.

Oh BTW. Was 254 on the scale this morning :woot:, ahead of of my goal by 2 pounds.

Paul

SwimStud
February 8th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Paul, you're the only judge qualified to tell what's going on.

You know if you're working hard or dogging. You may still be gaing base and fitness...you might find your results pop again as strength and everything comes together. Just don't beat yourself up over it. It has only been a few months.

pwolf66
February 8th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Sure, there were times when I was able trim 5 secs off the interval but was afraid to cause of others in the lane. Didn't want them to die.

You know, this comment made me think. I need to lighten up. Looking back at December, I was the one who was dying in the slower lanes and now at times I find myself able to shave intervals in the fast lane. Ah, the problem with Type A. Want it all and want it now.

Will be looking for ways to ramp up the intensity. Even during that workout, I was pushing it and coming in 15 seconds or so under the interval. Even the 10x25 Free I was going about 16-17 per.

The Fortress
February 8th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Oh BTW. Was 254 on the scale this morning :woot:, ahead of of my goal by 2 pounds.

Yay! :groovy:

Can you stay after practice for awhile? I usually swim for 75 minutes. Depending on what I'm doing, I can get in 2500-4000. Today I did 3800 in 75 minutes doing some aerobic, kicking and sprint work. I think if you could squeeze in a basic aerobic set to build endurance in with all that intensity, it would help. I know some people (like Allen Stark) do their sprinting before getting in some yardage.

But, yeah, you should lighten up. Although it is hard for us OCD types. There's always more masters meets and seasons. You're doing well and improving, so you should feel good.

pwolf66
February 8th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Yay! :groovy:

Can you stay after practice for awhile?

But, yeah, you should lighten up. Although it is hard for us OCD types. There's always more masters meets and seasons. You're doing well and improving, so you should feel good.
Thanks. If I can keep this up, I will definately hit my goal of 240 for Nats.

Evenings are impossible as the pool closes at 9pm when practice ends,

Weekends are impossible as all the lanes are claimed when practice ends at 10am.

Tues/Thur are impossible because if I do finish the whole 1.5 hours, I'm DONE. Not to mention gotta get to work.

Again, I do 99.9% of my swimming with the team. I dunno when I'll be able carve out some time to practice on my own. Ah well. So much for smashing all those WRs, oh wait....... riiiiiiiiight.

Paul

SwimStud
February 8th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Well Paul it looks like you'll have a list of excuses ready for when I trash you at zones this year...

...you haven't raced me tapered and shaved!

pwolf66
February 8th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Well Paul it looks like you'll have a list of excuses ready for when I trash you at zones this year...

...you haven't raced me tapered and shaved!

Huh? Trash me in what? 50 Breast? Oh, Puh-leeze. I think that 1 second you're getting has gone straight to your ego. So right now, my best is a 33.73 (done at Sprints) and yours is 35.65 also done a sprints. take away the one second and your's is handicapped down to a 34.65. Still over .9 seconds there, SS.

Any other non-Evilstroke event you want to throw down on??? Wanna do a 200 IM gridge? 100 Back? 200 Free? 100 Fly? Just listing events that I have yet to swim. Please note, 200 Breast is NOT an option.

knelson
February 8th, 2008, 04:23 PM
As a masters athlete it's all but impossible to train exactly how you want, when you want, and probably at the intensity that you want all the time. The best you can do is get in and swim when you're able to and don't fret too much about all those times you can't swim.

I think you've made some great strides so far, Paul. I have a feeling you'll be pleasantly surprised how well you swim at Nationals. Just keep your nose to the grindstone!

pwolf66
February 9th, 2008, 12:59 PM
9 Feb 2008

SCM with team

Warm up

600 swim, interrupted with hamstring stretches.

2x400 Free - did the first one OK but sat out the middle 100 of the 2nd. (rear delts really were burning)

3x100 IM reverse order
8x50 Free 1-4 Reduce interval by 5 seconds, starting at :50, 5-8 repeat

At this point I could not breathe, I was really struggling to catch my breath, once again the pool was too warm and so was the air. Could only do the first 4 before I got out and walked outside to cool off and catch my breath.

16x25 Free 1-4, 1st 3 breath, 2 2 breath, 3 1 breath, 4 no breath, repeat. on the :30. Did first time thru OK, but could not get enough air so swam remaining normally.

100 EZ.

2300m. Decent workout considering I'm swimming a meet tomorrow.

Paul

pwolf66
February 10th, 2008, 07:57 PM
10 Feb 2008

OK, so I got up at an ungodly hour (4:30am) and drove 2 hours south to swim in the David Gregg III Memorial Meet in Richmond. I felt good if a little tired from yesterday's workout. and of course, slightly sleep deprived (only got about 5 hours). My thanks to Julie for backing me into a corner and not allowing me the out of having lost my USMS card :drink:. Deck entered 50 Fly (need a .09 drop for NQT), 50 Free (felt like I can break 24 sec) 100 Back (first time swimming it) and 50 Back (need to break 29.9).

Warm up - did about 800 yards and did some starts. I must say the Nova pool is very nice but the blocks? well....not so nice but more on that later. Struggled with back foot slipping, varied my back foot position until I thought I found one that was OK.

50 Fly - PB of 27.12, need 27.03 for NQT. Felt good pre-start but then my back foot slipped and it felt like the bottom of my big toe went thru a cheese grater. Big time ouchy. Swam it decently considering a very poor start and pain. 27.37. Got out, bottom of my toe had 2 gather large gashes in it. Not bleeding much but hurt like heck. Slapped a couple of band aids on it and hit the warm down pool. Flip turns hurt like heck, contemplated heading home at this point.

50 Free - PB of 24.35 - Switched to a grab start. Didn't feel as powerful hitting the water but then again I didn't slip or tear up my toe more. Felt very 'sloppy' in the water like I was swimming side to side. Toe hurt pretty good pushing off the turn. 24.47. Grrrrr. Bandaids were torn off. Really not happy at this point.

100 Back - No PB. Really not sure but decided to go all out on the first 50 and see what happens. Very good start. Split 30.69 first 50. Not what I had hoped for but not bad. Came off the last turn, 2 SDKs and didn't clear the flags, I knew that it was gonna hurt. I held on to finish 1:04.14 which means I really fell off the 2nd 50. 30.69/33.65 Ugh. But then again not bad for the first time swimming 100 back in over 20 years.

50 Back - PB of 30.28. Just decided to go 100% out here. Another good start, surfaced about mid way (need to work on my SDKs a lot more, they are pretty 'average') hammered the turn and lunged for the finish. Looked at the board and saw 29.66. Gave a little whoop. I thought I swam it well just not that well.

So over all I'm very glad I went. I got my 3rd NQT for SCY Nats just not in the event I was expecting. I got to meet folks from the board namely Chris Stevenson and Iwannafly (TJ Morton). Not to mention lots of other really nice folks.

Chris, I tried to glean something from your Backstroke but I couldn't get much as you were only doing 6 strokes per length :bow:. At least I can say that it took the current WR holder in Backstroke for me to finish 2nd :rolleyes:

TJ, take it from a true type A. Where you are right now with only 1 year of swimming is really amazing. My hats off to you. :woot:

Paul

Chris Stevenson
February 10th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Paul, it was nice to meet you and TJ too. Excellent job on your 3rd cut. I notice you didn't waste any time getting some payback the Trash Talk thread...and that's got to be at least as good a reward! Good luck with your training; hope to see you at Zones.

Iwannafly
February 11th, 2008, 08:54 AM
10 Feb 2008

TJ, take it from a true type A. Where you are right now with only 1 year of swimming is really amazing. My hats off to you. :woot:

Paul
Thanks for the encouragement Paul. I need to learn to be happy with improving my personal times and not try and compare my times with those of the fast people. It was fun to meet you, Julie and Chris. Even more fun to get to watch you swim. I'm definitely breaking 30 seconds at zones!!!

t.j.

pwolf66
February 16th, 2008, 06:09 PM
After aving work explode on me this week, I finally got to the pool this morning.

16 Feb 2008

SCM with team

700 w/u

5x50 Back on 1:10 - took this easy and really tried to concentrate on keeping my head in correct position. Noticed a real difference on distance per stroke when my head was in good position.

3x200 Free on 2:45 - started to feel gassed here. Only did 150 of each rep.

6x75 Free descend on 1:20 - took first one out in 1:00, then could not descend off that. Starting 5th rep, I was getting dizzy, stopped, tried to pull it together, still dizzy. Almost fell down getting out of the pool and walking to a chair.

As I'm writing this about 7 hours later, I feel like crap. My head hurts, my body aches and I'm pretty sure I'm coming down with something. I just hope it's not this wonderful strain of flu that they didn't include in this years flu shot.

Paul

pwolf66
February 17th, 2008, 11:04 AM
17 Feb 2008

Woke up, felt a little better.

9am SCM with team

600 w/u

4x150 Free descend on 2:30. 2:00, 1:58, 1:56, 1:54 then I ran out of gas
50 EZ
6x75 IM on 1:10 - sat out first 2, was dizzy
100 Pull
3x[4x25 build] - 1st Fly, 2nd Back, 3rd Breast
6x50 Stroke (back) descend on 1:06
200 EZ

2400m

Still got dizzy a couple of times. Also started trying Breaststroke again. Knees felt OK but I really wasn't kicking that hard.

pwolf66
February 18th, 2008, 09:30 AM
18 Feb 08

SCY with team

650 w/u

3x200 Free on 2:30
4x100 IM on 1:20
5x50 Back on :50
400 Pull
4x100 Free descend on 1:20
5x50 Free descend on :45
6x25 Free descend on :25
200 warm down

3300y

Feeling a little better. Got a little dizzy during the IMs, switched to doing free instead of fly for the last one.

Paul

pwolf66
February 22nd, 2008, 09:52 AM
21 Feb 2008

Wanted to get up in the morning and try and swim a double today. But I slept right thru my alarm.

8pm SCM with team

700 w/u - felt really stiff and sore especially my abs

2000m main set - don't really remember the details, it was a mixture of 50s, 75s, 100s and 200s. Due to ab issue I swam mostly free and back. Did some DPS drill and the best number I could hit was 11 strokes per length. Averaged 12-13.

But I do think that I made a stroke breakthru. Even tho I was feeling kinda tired and stiff, I was really swimming faster and felt like I was grabbing a lot of water with my stroke. When we did 75's, I was doing them in 53-54 and while I felt like I put forth a good effort, I wasn't that tired. Did a 14 second 25m from a push at the end.

So I hope that this makes me continue to work drills, I think that there was a direct correlation between the DPS drills I did and the easy speed I experienced.

Paul

knelson
February 22nd, 2008, 10:39 AM
Paul, is the dizzyness something that happens only when you are sick or not feeling well? I can't recall ever feeling dizzy during a swimming workout.

pwolf66
February 22nd, 2008, 12:43 PM
Paul, is the dizzyness something that happens only when you are sick or not feeling well? I can't recall ever feeling dizzy during a swimming workout.

I was fighting something. That combined with the 84+ degree water and the 80+ degree air was the issue in that case. But I do have issues with swimming in that pool with those temps, I sometimes find myself having to go outside to cool off as I feel way overheated.

Redbird Alum
February 22nd, 2008, 02:53 PM
... the 84+ degree water and the 80+ degree air ... I sometimes find myself having to go outside to cool off as I feel way overheated.

Paul -

Indeed! I swim in a pool that is kept warm for arthritis and other therapy, aqua-size classes. There are times that I have the same issue with overheating, which is probably where your dizziness is coming from.

I fight it off as best I can with lots of liquids prior to practice, and when it is real bad, very slow swims where I focus on technique over speed.

Is this your primary workout location?

pwolf66
February 22nd, 2008, 03:13 PM
Is this your primary workout location?

Unfortunately. The other facility which is SCY, is about 10 minutes farther away and the practices are at 6:30-7:30 M-W-F. The logistics are just not there as I have to be at work at 8:30 and it's a 1.5 hour commute from there. The evening practices are 8:30-10pm but that's just way too late. So I swim at the primary site and occasionally (holidays or days off) swim with the SCY crew.

Paul

pwolf66
February 23rd, 2008, 05:44 PM
23 Feb 2008

9am SCM with team

2700m in about an hour

Got some stroke pointers from one of the coaches today. Made the beginning of the workout a real drag as I tried to incorporate it but at the end I was putting it together. I no longer cringe in terror when I see repeats of 150s and 200s on the board so I guess that's a good thing.

But I need to decide what my goals are because it seems that I am working out rather than training.

Paul

pwolf66
February 24th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Slept horribly, got up late, missed practice, decided to hit the gym instead.

24 Feb 08

Treadmill, 15min, 1.43mi

5 minutes leg stretches

Incline BB Press - 115x10,135x10,145x10
Flat DB Flye - 15x10, 25x10, 25x10
Dec DB Press - 30x10, 30x10, 30x10
Cable Crunches - 180x30(10 front, 10 right, 10 left)x2
Low Pulley Side Bends - 80x10x2
Tricep Push downs - 80x10, 100x10, 100x10

Noticed while I was sweating like a pig on the tradmill that it smelled like chlorine. Hmm, go figure.

Paul

pwolf66
March 1st, 2008, 11:59 AM
OK, lemme start this by saying that the Nintendo Wii is a tool of Satan. Sure it's a lot of fun but.... never realized a video game could make me hurt like this.

1 Mar 08

9am SCM with team

600 w/u - knew I was in serious trouble here. Right shoulder was VERY unhappy with me. Tired and creaking plus I found myself crossing over slightly on my stroke. Ugh.

4x125 - 100 Free, 25 IM order
4x100 IM order

Had to call it quits here. My right shoulder was just not feeling good and rather than take a chance I decided to cut it short. Ugh. Gotta cut down on Wii Tennis and Table Tennis.

Paul

funkyfish
March 1st, 2008, 10:50 PM
OK, lemme start this by saying that the Nintendo Wii is a tool of Satan. Sure it's a lot of fun but.... never realized a video game could make me hurt like this.
Paul

The Wii is wonderful! I'm patiently waiting for "The Force Unleashed," I hope it's as good as the hype.

Sorry to hear about your shoulder, best to play it smart and be ready for Nats. Good luck.
:banana::banana:

pwolf66
March 2nd, 2008, 11:22 AM
March 2, 2008

8am SCM with team

800 w/u
3x100 Free - Pace on 1:40. Hit :15,:17,:15
3x100 IM on 2:00
150 Pull
12x75 Stroke/Kick in IM order, then last 4 Free Pull. Instead of kick I did IM. Boy was I struggling at the end.
10x25 - odds work streamlines and finish, evens work starts. Getting out of the pool was a real challenge
100 EZ

That was all we had time for in the hour alloted. But I stayed and worked some Fly
4x50 Fly on 1:30
8x25 Fly on :45

OMG, my middle delts of both arms are soooo tired. BUt I finally felt like I worked my shoulders to the point of exhaustion without hurting.

Blackbeard's Peg
March 3rd, 2008, 12:42 PM

Gotta cut down on Wii Tennis and Table Tennis.

I hear you on the Tennis. My cousin has been diagnosed with tennis elbow from playing too much. How are you at Wii Golf? The blue muppet is playing like Ernie Els these days!

pwolf66
March 17th, 2008, 01:37 PM
OK, I'm over my snit but would like to ask that if you want to post comments to my blog, you use your primary USMS account. I know I can't stop you but I would hope cooperation in this regard would not be too much to ask.

Work's been hitting me pretty hard last 2 weeks so March 2nd was the last time I practiced. Combine that with getting sick starting on the 5th. I did attend a swim clinic on the 8th which was VERY worth it but I was very tired during the whole thing. One of the drills was a backstroke spin drill where you sit a little lower in the water and cycle your arms as fast as you can. It's a good drill but I don't think my right shoulder was very happy with it because the next day, the tendons on the outside of the shoulder were very unhappy.

That kept me out of the water for the week of the 10th. Plus I was still feeling 'crappy'. Had a meet on the 15th and I was feeling OK and shoulder was at about 80% so I decided to give it a shot.

During warm ups, my shoulder was ok with everything except backstroke. It was bothering my on the pulls. Since Back was the last event for me, I decided to take a wait an see approach.

100 SCM Free - best time 1:01.37 - Had what felt like a good start. I wanted to hit at least 2 SDKs off the start and each wall and I did. Was in lane 7 (of 8), I hit the first turn about a body length ahead and in my mind I was thinking 'that MAY have been a little too fast', so I hit the 3rd turn and BAM, piano. Held on to finish the heat first, I think, but if the pool was 5M longer I would have been caught by everyone. Crawled out of the pool and got my time, I was VERY surprised (actually stunned) when I heard 59.94. I was not expecting to go sub 1:00 until next season and I was pleased I did it without practicing the last 2 weeks and still a little drained from being sick. I did hear the comment 'you breathed out of every turn', I think that was an artifact of the following:

1) I SDKed twice off the start and every turn (was my goal)
2) I didn't take my first breath until I reached the flags on the first lap (definately NOT my plan)

50 Breast - 37.36 - One of best benefits from the swim clinic was working with Wally Dicks on the changes in my technique. I just wish that I had had time to practice them. Good start, kept my head down on the pull out but my legs were dead. I was kicking but I was not getting a good snap. Glutes were absolutely fatigued. Still managed to come in 36.78 but I was hoping for more.

50 Fly - 30.29 - Worked with Jeff Roddin on technique to flatten out my fly as I was bringing my head and shoulders waaaaay too high. Again, wish I had practiced my new technique. Legs still dead but arms felt good. Shaved a little time off to 30.21. Really want to break 30. Pretty sure I will soon.

50 Back - 35.72 - that time was from Zones when my feet slipped at the start. During warm down from Fly I did some fast backstroke and the right shoulders was 'ok' so I decided not to scratch. Good start, hit a good streamline and 5 SDKs but I broke out 1 foot too deep. Jammed my turn and popped up too early. And according to Blackbeard's Peg, my Backstroke is 'ugly' but all things considered, not unhappy with a 33.47.

Then came the relays. I was in our 200 mixed medley swimming Fly. Off a relay start, I split a 29.65, happy with that. Then I get called over to immediately swim in the next relay, men's 200 medley, swimming? yep, Fly again. ugh. Tired but held it together well on the first length, sucked water halfway back and struggled to a 30.69.

I thought I was done (note: thought?) so I sat down to rest and chat with BP and SwimmieAvsFan. After the next relay, I get frantically called over to swim again, this time men's 200 Free relay as lead off. Split a 27.91 which considering how tired I was, is a good swim.

Got home after the social, iced down the shoulder and continued to ice it down on Sunday.

All in all, I'm very happy with where I am in my swimming right now. I just have to get to the pool more often and get back to losing weight.

Paul

pwolf66
March 17th, 2008, 01:39 PM
How are you at Wii Golf? The blue muppet is playing like Ernie Els these days!

Wii Golf is my specialty. I'm at par every time and my best is 5 under for 9 holes.

Paul

Iwannafly
March 17th, 2008, 06:22 PM
OK, I'm over my snit but would like to ask that if you want to post comments to my blog, you use your primary USMS account. I know I can't stop you but I would hope cooperation in this regard would not be too much to ask.

You know that's asking for trouble don't you Paul??? I thought briefly about adopting a pseudonym just for your blog. Perhaps something with 'Lobo' in it, since Lobo is spanish for wolf! Hmmmmmm! Three weeks, three days and counting!

cowsvils
March 18th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Quality swimming and wii golfing Paul

jaegermeister
March 18th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Great swimming at the Albatross meet, Paul. Impressed that you not only improved your times but that you had the stamina to do multiple races. For those of us that don't race that often, this is not easy to do. I typically am way overconfident on the number of events I can do, then get volunteered for a relay or two (never three!) and end up getting totally wiped. And all on relatively little training in the weeks prior- that's deserving of an enthusiastic attaboy.
My own personal experience with weight management while swim training: its so easy to overeat. It seems so easy to rationalize so many empty calories since we're training. When I have a hard workout, I get in a lot of carbs within an hour of the workout, then smaller frequent meals through the day along with lots of fluids. I still have to discipline myself to not gorge on something late in the day.
For the last 4-6 weeks or so I've been much more conscious of not eating just because I'm angry/tired/bored. After being stable for many months, I'm down about 5 lbs.

pwolf66
March 22nd, 2008, 11:21 AM
After being sick on and off (more on than off) for the last 3 weeks and then having a cranky shoulder, I finally returned to practice today.

22 Mar 2008

SCM with team

600 Warm up

Oh look what's on the board. :doh:

10 Minute swim - only managed 550 :shakeshead:
3 Min rest
10 Minute swim - only managed 600 :shakeshead:
50 EZ
10x50 on 1:00
12x25 Free - odd EZ, even sprint on :30
100 w/d

Better than I was expecting but definately a struggle.

Paul

pwolf66
March 24th, 2008, 09:14 PM
So due to public school's spring break, there are no early morning practices. So I had a complete mental breakdown and tried to get a workout in during 'Rec Swim', why, oh why, oh why :doh::doh::doh: do I NEVER learn?

24 Mar 2008

SCY omo

400 w/u, a very broken and disjointed warm up as I fought for lane space among the driftwood. I wasn't alone as there was another 'swimmer' (sorry, if you swim, you're a swimmer by default but you know what I mean) there fighting to maintain a good pace.

The skies parted and I managed to snag half a lane. I knew it wasn't going to last so I decided to get a quick speed set in.

10x50 on :55 - try and hold :30 and keep it nice and long. Managed it for the first 9 then I had someone ask to join the lane right as I was about to push off on the last so I said 'last one' pushed off and went :32, it was less I'm sure but I don't know when I left exactly.

Another wave of people were approaching so I did a 100 w/d and got out.

Ugh.

Shoot me.

Paul

pwolf66
March 28th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Started to feel a tickle in my throat yesterday around noon but decided to still hit the evening practice.

Thursday, 27 Mar 08

SCM with team

500 warmup

600 broken as follows:

100 IM - R:15
50Fl/50Ba - R:15
50Ba/50Br - R:15
50Br/50Fr - R:15
100 IM - Best Effort (1:17) R:15
100 EZ

150 Swim

1000 broken into 4 250s
Each 250 is 100 R:15, 75 R:15, 50 R:10, 25 R:30

1st - Free
2nd - Back
3rd - Breast
4th - Choice

100 EZ

After the broken 600, I knew I was coming down with something for sure as everything felt so heavy and there wasn't much in the tank but I stuck it out and did the whole workout so that's something.

But as I sit here and type this, my throat feels like I gargled with gravel and everything else hurts. The last month I have no not felt 'well' for more than 2-3 days at a time and it's getting old.

Paul

pwolf66
April 4th, 2008, 01:39 PM
OK, I'm going to take the advice of someone I know and sell my immune system on eBay. Because it doesn't seem to be doing me any good.

But afte 3-4 weeks of congestion, tiredness, headaches, etc. I'm finally starting to feel better (not well, just better) and I hope this trend continues.

3 Apr 08

SCM with team
in the fast lane as there weren't too many folks there.

700 w/u (more than I normally do as I put some fingertip drill time in there)

8x75 Free on 1:25 - To try and build up to some speed, I tried to descend these off the 1:00. Did OK to the 7th one then the lack of swimming hit me like a ton of bricks. I was gassed at this point but kept going. Not well but I kept going.
6x50 IM order on 1:05
4x25 IM order on :35
100 EZ
2x50 Fly on 1:10
2x50 Back on 1:05
2x50 Br on 1:10
2x50 Free on 1:00
200 swim - last 100 was fingertip drill.

2400m

I have seriously lost some base in the last 3-4 weeks but just need to build it back up. Zones are gonna be disappointing and Nats look that way too but that's life.

Paul

pwolf66
April 5th, 2008, 10:57 AM
Had a LONG night's sleep. In bed at 9:30, asleep at 10 and only woke up once at 5:15, then bolted awake at 8:40. Practice is at 9 but I made it.

5 Apr 2008

SCM with team.

Leading fast lane - LOTS of folks there. We had 5 lanes and each lane had at least 6.

650 w/u

2x[4x125, 1x50, 4x75, 1x50]

1st - 125 Free on 2:00, 50 EZ, 75 Kick (I swam it), 50 EZ
2nd - 125 IM or Stroke (I did Free/Back/Free/Back/Free) on 2:30, 50 EZ, 75 Free descend on 1:30, went 1:00, :58, :55, :52, 50 EZ

Still feeling fatigued but a good workout.

2450m

Paul

poolraat
April 5th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Leading fast lane - LOTS of folks there. We had 5 lanes and each lane had at least 6.

Bummer on the crowded lanes Paul. This morning C and I started out with our own lanes. About halfway through the workout the pool became so crowded that we had to share a lane.

pwolf66
April 5th, 2008, 02:43 PM
5 lanes - 33 swimmers. Turnout is usually in the high 20s on Sat.

Ah well, felt like I was in an OW swim.

smontanaro
April 5th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Drop by Northwestern sometime. We have space. I think we had four lanes and at most 8-9 swimmers this morning.

Skip

knelson
April 5th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I have seriously lost some base in the last 3-4 weeks but just need to build it back up. Zones are gonna be disappointing and Nats look that way too but that's life.

Try to remain positive. I think you might surprise yourself at Nationals. I was watching women's NCAAs on TV a couple weeks back and Lacey Nymeyer won the 100 free and was a huge factor in Arizona's victory despite missing a few weeks in the fall due to a back injury.

pwolf66
April 6th, 2008, 03:38 PM
6 Apr 2008

SCM with team

Triceps on both arms were very sore and tight.

650 w/u

1900 main set - don't remember what.

2550 total

Once Nats are over, I have to seriously sit down and rethink WTF I'm doing in the pool. I think I need to go back to square one and start doing a lot more self directed workouts. But maybe more on that later.

Paul

funkyfish
April 7th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Once Nats are over, I have to seriously sit down and rethink WTF I'm doing in the pool. I think I need to go back to square one and start doing a lot more self directed workouts. But maybe more on that later.

Paul

Greetings Mr. Hulk Sir. From my perspective I think self directed workouts can be ok. Our local masters team gets together during the summer for group workouts, but to my knowledge it's fend for yourself outside of that. I've been swimming on my own for almost 2 yrs now and it's been ok. I've finally broke a 1:00 on a 100m free and swam under :26 in a 50m free. I'm hoping to post videos to get feedback from other folks here. Long story short, I believe swimming on your own can work when you focus on the benefits of it. My 2 cents. Good luck at nationals.
:bouncing:

pwolf66
April 7th, 2008, 02:32 PM
Thanks, FF. The only issue with self directed is finding lane time where you CAN actually get a good work out in. Free lanes are a serious challenge in my area. But I hope that does not pose a problem post-Nats as I am changing jobs and my new office location is 1.5 blocks from a nice facility.

Paul

pwolf66
April 10th, 2008, 09:53 PM
10 April 08

8pm SCM with team (sort of)

Very light attendance so I was swiming solo, decided to do some sprints.

600 w/u - mostly drill work broken into 50s, DPS, catchup, finger tip, etc.

4x50 AFAP on 3:00 29,30,29,29 (can I say eating dinner at 6pm and sprinting? Bad idea)
50 EZ
Broken 200 IM by AFAP 25s on 2:00
Fly - 14, 14
Back 18,16 (ugh)
Br - 22,20 (god my breaststroke SUCKS :sad:)
Free - 13, 13 (felt OK)

50 EZ

10x25 Free descend on :30 29,28,26,24,23,21,20,18,17,15

50 EZ

Really wasn't feeling it on the sprints but wth.

Paul

Iwannafly
April 10th, 2008, 10:20 PM
4x50 AFAP on 3:00 29,30,29,29
Damn Paul, I wish I could swim any one of those times rested and tapered! I'm hoping for one this Sunday!!!

Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow. WTH was I thinking signing up for a 1000 free? I may very well drown!

pwolf66
April 13th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Colonies Zone SCY Champs this weekend.

Sat, 12 April

Entered 4 events. Should have only swam 3.

First event - 100 Free - Seed time and best SCY time 56.61 (But have gone 59.94 SCM) - Wore my FS Pro Kneeskin. Good start. Stuck mostly to my goal of breathing every 4 (was breathing every 2 but realized that was not necessary) for the first 75 then breating every 2 on the las 25. Split 24.9 held on for 52.64. I was hoping to break 54, was shocked to see 52.64 on the scoreboard. WOW. Friends video taped the race so I got to see that I didn't stick 100% with my game plan so I have some things to work on.

2nd Event - 50 Fly - Best time 27.12 (plus gridge race with Leslie against her 50 Free) - Good start, hammered out some good SDKs but I went 5 kicks instead of the 4 I practiced in warmups. This left me short on the turn :rant3:, that cost me at least .2 as I had to kick in hard. Came in 26.48. Definately getting there.

3rd Event - 100 Breast - Seed time 1:13.95 (Converted from a 1:21 SCM) - As I stepped up, I knew I should scratch this as I wanted to do well in the 50 Back which was next but I swam anyway. HOLY COW did I have a GREAT start, I came up right at the 15m mark and 3 strokes to the turn. Went out in 33.94 and held on for 1:12.71. With that kind of result I need to work on breaststroke more.

4th Event - 50 Back - 29.66. Good start, hut the turn and legs quit on me. Finished 29.77 (lost to Blackbeard's Peg by a LOUSY .05, grrrr)

Sunday, Apr 13

Decided given how well I swam the 100 Free to scratch the 100 back and 50 Breast which were right before the 50 Free. Good thing, because I would have had about 10 minutes rest after the 100 Back to the 50 Breast and about the same to 50 Free.

First Event - 200 Free- NT as I have never swam it and wanted to save up for the 100 IM which was the next event. Told my inner monster to get with the program, we were just gonna keep in nice and long and not push it. Split the first 100 in 59.43 at which time I really backed it down came home in 1:08.3 for a 2:07.73. Not bad. I could have pushed it and came in in 2:03 or so but didn't want to blow myself out. Not sure how I feel about the 200. Will have to enter it again with intent to push it and see how I feel about it after that.

2nd Event - 100 IM - 1:02.71 - Really wanted to smoke this race. Good start, hit the wall perfectly (only 4 SDKs instead of 5) made a good turn. Back to Br was OK, I need to work on it. Breast let me down as my left hamstring was knotting up on me. Free could have been better as I took a breath immediately off the wall and took too many breaths down the pool. 1:01.51. Was both pleased and disappointed. But ultimately pleased as I took over a second off.

3rd and last event - 50 Free - 24.31 - Been stuck in the 24.4-24.5 range for the last several meets :doh: and was determined to break 24. Good start. Took 1st breath at the flags, good flip but right as I pushed off my feet slipped slightly on the wall :rant3:, not terrible but just enough that I couldn't stay under and hit my normal 2 SDKs before breakout. Finished 23.68. WOOHOOO under 24 AND it could have been lower if I had nailed my turn so that is a good thing.

All in all, I am ECSTATIC over my swims today. 5 PBs and really starting to put some speed together. When Jazz Hands :notworthy: deems me gridge-worthy then I can start to consider myself 'fast' :party2:

Not going to change much before Nats, going to work on turns and just get in some speed work but when Nats are over, I plan on hitting the ground running. I WANT 22.99 and 49.99 so I gotta do the work necessary to get there. :weightlifter::weightlifter:

Paul

rtodd
April 13th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Huge drops in the 50 and 100 free! Very impressive.

Please post your life or masters progression in the 100 free..... if you keep track.

pwolf66
April 17th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Supposed to start my taper today but due to traffic I only had 22 minutes to get a workout in.

Thur, 17 April

SCM omo

300 swim w/u

4x50 Free drill on 1:20 - DPS, Fingertip, Catchup, DPS
R:1
3x100 IM on 1:45
R:2
4x50 on 1:10 , Fl/ba,Ba/br, br/fr, fr/fl
R:1
4x50 Free descend on 1:00 - 40, 37, 35, 33

Only 1200m, goal was 2400 but no where near enough time.

Had to get out.

Blackbeard's Peg
April 17th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Supposed to start my taper today but due to traffic I only had 22 minutes to get a workout in.

I know how you feel with that traffic issue. yesterday was bad, as was my choice of "shortcuts;" i nearly skipped, but got there right at 630. practice was a doozie! combine that w/ a hockey workout afterwards, and i lost 3 lbs.

swimshark
April 18th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Paul you didn't mention the chellenge you had with your suit direction on Sunday. Hm.. wonder why?

Great times last weekend. Have a good taper. We start long course next week. Yeah!!!! :party2:

pwolf66
April 18th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Paul you didn't mention the chellenge you had with your suit direction on Sunday. Hm.. wonder why?

Ich nicht verstehen?

pwolf66
April 19th, 2008, 11:29 AM
18 Apr 2008

was supposed to be a slow day on my own but I slept like carp and got up late so I decided to do the team practice.

SCM with team

500 w/u

40x50 Free, reduce interval by 5 sec every 10.

I knew I wasn't gonna finish this but decided to do the first 20.

10x50 free on :55 - tried to keep it long and strong, was holding 37-38 per.
10x50 free on :50 - first 5 were 36-37 then I really started to feel it in my shoulders and was holding 39 for the last 5.

Dropped out and just did a nice easy 200 w/d

1700m - not quite what I had planed but still felt good.

Paul

pwolf66
April 24th, 2008, 03:49 PM
24 Apr 2008

SCM omo

OMG, I have no idea how I'm going to accomplish solo training. I can't get a lane to myself during morning swim so ANY butterfly is completely out of the picture. It's hard enough just doing some good interval work.

300 w/u

4x100 Free on 1:45 - tried to hold a long stroke. went :18,:16,:18 and :19
4x50 Back on 1:00 - kept it long, tried to keep my hands from going over my head.
2x50 Br on 1:10 - worked the pull outs and head position
100 EZ
4x25 AFAP on 2:00 - Why can't pace clocks be synced? Is it so hard?
2x50 DPS
200 swim w/d

1500m in about :45

Worried about my legs as they are completely dead. Was even having trouble getting a good push off on the turns. Ugh.

Paul

pwolf66
April 25th, 2008, 11:34 AM
So I woke up this morning at 5:45 to go swim and my throat was on fire. Just what I need, get sick the week before Nats.

So I'm dosing myself up with sinus medicine and vitamin C so hopefully I can fight this off. Still worried about the absolute deadness in my legs. It just feels like they just drag along.

Paul

Lightning
April 25th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Paul, your blog has been sounding discouraged lately; you gave me a lot of encouragement (and utube feedback) a few months ago about my breaststroke so I just wanted to say, hang in there! I'll look for your races at Nats and cheer you on!

pwolf66
April 25th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Thanks, Lightning. Yeah, things have been kinda down lately. The biggest thing right now is that I'm watching a good friend of mine slowly (or not so slowly now) die from colon cancer. I'm seeing him this weekend and it might be the last time I do as his liver and lungs are failing so my heart is really heavy. I know that life isn't fair but he's only 35.

Paul

Lightning
April 25th, 2008, 02:36 PM
It must be so very hard for you right now; I'll be thinking about you...

pwolf66
April 25th, 2008, 09:40 PM
25 April 2008

8:15pm SCY omo

350 w/u
5x50 Free descend on 1:00, 42,38,34,32,29
2x50 Back on 1:00, long and strong
2x50 Br on 1:15, work the pullouts and turns
100 Free long and strong
2x50 back, max hard SDKs then EZ swim
8x25 IM order on 1:00, first time thru fast, 2nd time sprint
200 w/d

1400y in about 35 minutes.

Glad I forced myself to get in the pool. Still don't feel great but I feel better. Erika (daughter) has some sort of stomach bug. She's thrown up three times today. Hope like heck I can dodge that one.

Paul

pwolf66
April 26th, 2008, 05:15 PM
OK, apparently there is NO time where I even have a SHOT at getting a lane to myself. Ugh.

26 Apr 08

2pm SCY omo

500 w/u
4x50 Free on 1:00 descend - 39,35, 32, 29
4x50 Back on 1:00 descend - 43,41,39,37
50 EZ
3x50 work IM transitions - Fly/Back,Back/Br,Br/Fr
8x50 Free on 1:30 - 25 fast to hard turn, 25 EZ
50 EZ
100 EZ

1800y in about 40 minutes

I had wanted to also do a 4x50 Fly on 1:15 descend but there's that whole sharing the lane thing.

Paul