PDA

View Full Version : How do you workout

Allen Stark
November 24th, 2007, 01:27 PM
I nearly missed Paul Smith's excellent views on cycled,race pace workouts as they were hidden in the Dara Torres thread and I had grown tired of it.I like to do 15 week cycles,increasing intensity for 12 wk and tapering for 3.I do 4 workouts/wk,2 are spinning,lifting,swimming and 2 are swimming only.While I enjoy a good workout but unlike Dave I have never found a workout as satisfying as a good race.So how do you train?

meldyck
November 24th, 2007, 01:37 PM
I do periodization also in my workouts. However, it's not so regular as yours, Allen. High swim season (spring of the year) runs pretty much like yours - about 12 weeks of building volume and intensity followed by 2 weeks of taper.

The rest of the year, I spend most of my time swimming at a slow pace working on stroke technical issues. This drives my swim buddies crazy since they like to get in and put the pedal down every time.

Other than swimming, I row on a Concept 2 ergometer, lift weights, walk, mountain bike and, of course, cross-country ski during the winter. Total training volume is 600-700 hours per year with 2-6 swims per week, depending upon the season (fewer in winter, more in the spring).

Donna
November 24th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Since making the change to the local age group team the coach and I have discussed goals and the meets I will be focusing on at the beginning of the season.

Now I just do as I am told since I know coach is giving me the sets that I need to focus on and work on to reach those goals. I hate kicking, but I do it because I need to. As I tell one of the other mothers who swims with me "Your thighs and butt will thank you later!" I tell myself this too when it hurts.

I have learned to love distance when I swam with the masters and now I am finally learning to sprint with the kids. As an age grouper I used to be a sprinter, 50 and 100 only, now I am better at the distance but I want to be down closer to my previous sprint times. That is the goals for this year,break 30 for the 50 Free.

The Fortress
November 26th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I nearly missed Paul Smith's excellent views on cycled,race pace workouts as they were hidden in the Dara Torres thread and I had grown tired of it.I like to do 15 week cycles,increasing intensity for 12 wk and tapering for 3.I do 4 workouts/wk,2 are spinning,lifting,swimming and 2 are swimming only.While I enjoy a good workout but unlike Dave I have never found a workout as satisfying as a good race.So how do you train?

After reading Paul, Allen and Mel's plans, I think I could use some more micro-managing. I use periodization, but in a more haphazard fashion, getting thrown off track occasionally by life. My training cycles appear to depend on what meets I'm swimming in. My fav cycle is what I am doing this fall, train 12 weeks with generally increasing intensity and a 2 week taper for a mid-Dec. meet. That's roughly what I did this spring/summer before zones in August as well. The shorter cycle keeps me fresher and more motivated. The only thing I've done more of this fall, which I like, is that I started doing more race pace work sooner in the cycle. I train low yardage like Allen (this fall, 4x per week between 2500-3200), so I'm generally focusing on race pace work, quality sprinting and drills. I don't do that many pure or long aerobic sets.

I cross train with core work/weights usually 1-3x and do 1-2 runs per week. If my shoulder hurts, I run more and use my monofin more. I also like to have a new "focus" each training cycle. Earlier this year, I was very focused on using my monofin, middle of the year on SDKs/shooters, lately on doing more fly. Maybe beginning in Jan, I'll try to spin more if I can break my running addiction.

I'm not nearly as methodical as Allen or Paul or Ande though. I do most of my workouts myself, either making them up on my own and "guessing" what I should do or by stealing and modifying workouts from friends/forum. So I sometimes feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants and just hoping it all works out at meet time. (I see a scolding from Paul coming here.) It'd be nice to have more coaching and feedback. But in the absence of it, at least I can focus on sprinting and not get bogged down in distance free sets. Not that it's not wonderful for all you distance/OW folks!! It's just not for me and my shoulders or temperment. Overall, though, I think I'm getting a bit better at designing quality workouts.

swimshark
November 26th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Since making the change to the local age group team the coach and I have discussed goals and the meets I will be focusing on at the beginning of the season.

Now I just do as I am told since I know coach is giving me the sets that I need to focus on and work on to reach those goals. .

Ditto what Donna said. My coach knows my goals for the year and adjusts some of the sets to that. Not all since some are for the others in the water, too.

Alison

CreamPuff
November 26th, 2007, 06:43 PM
I'm a mess when it comes to training.

I've done a little of every option listed including NOT listening at all to the coach.

Basically, injury or physical malfunctions/ illnesses requiring surgery, therapy, drugs, etc. always throw a loop into my initial training plan. So, my plan is a work in progress. Big meets get switched around or eliminated sometimes in lieu of OW swims. Sometimes I can do doubles. Sometimes not. I'll do sprint and/ or middle distance to distance. Free or IM or stroke. I like to try whatever the coach throws at me - even if I'm weak in it. I switch lanes to swim with swimmers of different speeds. I race anyone (and often get my butt kicked - but sometimes I'm lucky.) I'll race people with fins or other equipment while I'm "naked" meaning no equipment. :joker: That's pretty fun.

I don't recommend this pattern for anyone; however, I gotta say it's dang FUN and suits my ADD personality. I keep coming back for more.

Paul Smith
November 26th, 2007, 07:09 PM
(I see a scolding from Paul coming here.)

You got that right..prepare for the 50 lashings!

Bottom line folks is this is masters swimming so family, kids, injuries, work, holidays, etc. etc. are all a given...and simply not an excuse to set a training program and follow it as best you can through the cycle...wether you ever make it to the meet or not...that's my whole point.

Coaches are an interesting part of this...I coach on a somewhat regular basis and can appreciate what its like to have a swimmer (like me or worse) in the pool and have to deal with them! :)

But more importantly I have also had a situation where Attila (Hungarian gold medalist in the 200IM) was coaching at ASU a couple of years ago. his "coaching" consisted of: showing up (only At times on time), giving the workout, then lounging in a (way to) small Speedo with a tye died with beater Tee and gold chains until workout was over...than rushing off.

Until I challenged him to help me learn the "5th stroke" (200 IM) which i had decided to attempt at nationals that year (Indy)...he stepped up and said it was rare that any masters ever wanted to be 'coached" only wanting the yardage and for him to get out of the way. His help led me to a 1:58+ new national record and a lesson...don't ASSUME your coach knows what you want/need..have a sit down and be clear on YOUR expectations and goals...you may be surprised.

Fort..drop and give me 20 and I'll deal with you this week!

The Fortress
November 26th, 2007, 08:08 PM
You got that right..prepare for the 50 lashings!
Fort..drop and give me 20 and I'll deal with you this week!

Yikes. I've been much better since January, I promise!!! Even when my training gets thrown off, I try to stick to the overall plan/goals. I'm very persistent. :thhbbb: I've even done the workouts from you I've seen! I even tried my first real 2 week "taper" this past August.

I think coaches should coach more. As a master, I feel pretty coachable and would much rather have input on workouts and stroke technique than not. I've assiduously followed, or tried to follow, advice I've gotten on the forum, to positive end. I'm always looking for new ideas or tips. Wish I had more. So I agree that those who have coaches 100% of the time should badger them into coaching. I think, though, that there are some swimmers on auto-pilot who don't want to make changes or alter their habitual training patterns. Of course, I'm guilty of not overhauling my freestyle yet ... I'll get there ... Can't fix everything at once .. and as you've said, you never stop tinkering.

I'm sure you're a royal pain in the butt, Paul. :thhbbb:

Paul Smith
November 26th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I'm sure you're a royal pain in the butt, Paul. :thhbbb:

Exactly what my team "shared"e on Saturday when we did "Ian Thorpe" day...a nice 4000m set that did far more than burn off all the calories consumed on Thursday!

And not getting out of the pushups....step up girl! I need you to throw down a 27+ backstroke leg on our mixed medley relay in Austin!

The Fortress
November 26th, 2007, 09:03 PM
And not getting out of the pushups....

No push ups. Bad for the shoulder. I'll give you 100 iron monkeys instead. :D

chaos
November 26th, 2007, 09:26 PM
well, i voted other.
every interval set is at some race pace for me. (100yds to 10k+)

i pretty much do what the coach says (except kick w/boards or pull w/buoys).

the big meets are too close to ow season so everything is somewhat of a compromise.

Slowswim
November 27th, 2007, 01:57 PM
No push ups. Bad for the shoulder. I'll give you 100 iron monkeys instead. :D

Fort:
Push ups are bad????
What's an iron monkey?:dunno:

poolraat
November 27th, 2007, 04:17 PM

Sounds like a drink.:joker:

The Fortress
November 27th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Fort:
Push ups are bad????

For me, push ups are bad. I don't want my injured shoulder holding that much of my body weight. If you don't have any shoulders issues, probably good for you!

Here's what Mini-Fort calls an "iron monkey" -- they do this in her dryland workouts. I only did 50 today, so I still owe Paul another 50. You're supposed to do them slowly.

http://www.criticalbench.com/exercises/stability-ball-abs.htm

Slowswim
November 27th, 2007, 04:57 PM
For me, push ups are bad. I don't want my injured shoulder holding that much of my body weight. If you don't have any shoulders issues, probably good for you!

Here's what Mini-Fort calls an "iron monkey" -- they do this in her dryland workouts. I only did 50 today, so I still owe Paul another 50. You're supposed to do them slowly.

http://www.criticalbench.com/exercises/stability-ball-abs.htm

Holy shi....:bolt:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!