PDA

View Full Version : Slackers! Who worked out over the holiday week?

abc
November 26th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I didn't. Just swam in turkey grease and puddin'. Does that still count?

knelson
November 26th, 2007, 12:13 PM
I didn't swim Thursday or Friday last week, but did swim the other five days.

Donna
November 26th, 2007, 12:19 PM
I did on Mon-Wed, Friday and Saturday!

smontanaro
November 26th, 2007, 12:50 PM
I actually had my best week in awhile I think. I don't normally count yardage on a weekly basis, but Sunday-Saturday I swam almost 20,000 yards. I even got in 2,000 yards on Thanksgiving morning. Nearly half of the week's total was on Saturday when our team did 100 100's on 1:30. (I am slow enough that I only did 20 100's scattered through the swim. The rest were 75's.)

Skip Montanaro

art_z
November 26th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Sunday - 7,200
Monday - 3,500
Tuesday - 4.500
Wed -off
Thurs - off
Friday - 4,500 - started officially tapering for Zones
Saturday 4,000
Sunday - off

this week will prob be a bunch of 3- 4k workouts with alot of speed work and stuff

Blackbeard's Peg
November 26th, 2007, 01:05 PM
i'm in dire straights trying to drop the weight i put on b/c of the bad knee, and did a bunch of stuff last week...
swam monday with my team;
tuesday put my bike on the trainer and pedaled for an hour;
wednesday, practiced w/ local age groupers;
thursday - nothing
friday - bike in morning and played hockey in the eve;
saturday - swam with a different team

all this, and when i got on the scale this morning, was peeved. all week i had been pretty constant; and ballooned yesterday somehow.

The Fortress
November 26th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I did better than usual! I had the excuse over the 4 day holiday of having to escape a house with 3 dogs in it. :D Did 4x swim, 2x run and 4x at the gym with 40-60 minutes of core work, weights and stretching. Took a day off somewhere in there, I think.

Bummer, Muppet. :( You'll have to go on the lettuce and salmon diet. I notice the "pie weight" a bit despite all my exercising too ...

ViveBene
November 26th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Lots of folks worked out! Forum of obsessives, not slackers. <g>
Quite a lot was covered in the "Attaboy / Attagrrrl" thread, where we praised each other and offered own efforts for scrutiny.

Daily long swims for me plus a lesson.:angel:

Skip, I am impressed by 20,000 yards over 2 days! :bow:

Regards, VB

Concho Pearl
November 26th, 2007, 01:51 PM
I think I swam - it's pretty close - I slept since then so all memory has be deleted.

Sun= 1800
Mon= 3600
Tues - off
Wed.=1800
Thurs. - off
Fri- off
Sat.- off - cooking our family Thanksgiving dinner
Sun.=1800

art_z
November 26th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Skip, I am impressed by 20,000 yards over 2 days! :bow:

I think the 20k was the for the week, as he mentioned Sunday - Saturday (rather than Saturday - Sunday) ... just a guess thought .

but still, 20k in a week is pretty darn good!

dorothyrde
November 26th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Did weights and 4000 yards on Thursday.
Did 3500 yards on Friday.

Did weights and yoga on Saturday.

Rested Sunday.

born2fly
November 26th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I was out of state in NYC for Thanksgiving and managed to do two a days fri/sat. Had to get that last bit of Thanksgiving training in for now I am in taper mode :-)

swimshark
November 26th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I did close to a usual week but adjusted to lack of pool/gym being open on Thurs.

Monday swam 90 min
Tues super hard yoga class
Wed swam 90 min
Thurs did a short hike
Friday woke up with a nasty cold so I took the day off
Sat 2 hour swim workout
Sun painted a bathroom
Mon swam 90 min

Now my husband is out of town for work and no baby sitter at 4am so no more swimming the rest of the week. I'll do yoga or spin on Thurs and back in the water fora 2 hour workout on Sat. Okay, so a bit longer than the holiday weekend.

Alison

Slowswim
November 26th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Spent most of the last two weeks flying back and forth from Atlanta to DC. Got some runs in up there but the best news I finally found pool I can get to so my next trip will be much better--swimming wise. I'm just grateful I was able to get back in time.

Got home late Tuesday. Wednesday was 3200 and a 20 Mile bike; took off Thursday and Friday; ran 8.5 miles Saturday; Sunday is my rest day; swam a hard fast 2700 and a 20 mile bike today.

jim clemmons
November 26th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Seven out of seven. 2 light, 2 moderate and 3 hard. My type of "periodization".

swimshark
November 26th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Spent most of the last two weeks flying back and forth from Atlanta to DC. Got some runs in up there but the best news I finally found pool I can get to so my next trip will be much better--swimming wise. I'm just grateful I was able to get back in time.

Got home late Tuesday. Wednesday was 3200 and a 20 Mile bike; took off Thursday and Friday; ran 8.5 miles Saturday; Sunday is my rest day; swam a hard fast 2700 and a 20 mile bike today.

Bill where did you find this pool in DC?

Alison

The Fortress
November 26th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Now my husband is out of town for work and no baby sitter at 4am so no more swimming the rest of the week.

Hmm... sounds familiar. My sympathies. :cry: Do drylands at home too. You'll stay in great shape with your base and some cross training.

swimshark
November 26th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Hmm... sounds familiar. My sympathies. :cry: Do drylands at home too. You'll stay in great shape with your base and some cross training.

I will dryland. Lift weights on Tues, take Wed off, spin or yoga on Thurs, weights again on Fri. Next week I start the taper for the meet on the 8th (just means no dryland).

Alison

meldyck
November 26th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Um, what holiday? When you're dedicated (make that addicted) to your training logbook the way I am, holidays don't appear on the calendar. If the family doesn't like it, they can find another one.

And, I do most of the cooking around our house. It's the only way to insure that there will be enough grease, sugar, protein, starch (note that I don't use the term pasta anymore), alcohol and the other essentials to life. If you think I'm kidding here drop by sometime and I'll feed you.

I was sick one day, so I guess that counts as a day off.....

The Fortress
November 26th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Um, what holiday? When you're dedicated (make that addicted) to your training logbook the way I am, holidays don't appear on the calendar. If the family doesn't like it, they can find another one.

And, I do most of the cooking around our house. It's the only way to insure that there will be enough grease, sugar, protein, starch (note that I don't use the term pasta anymore), alcohol and the other essentials to life. If you think I'm kidding here drop by sometime and I'll feed you.

LMAO. As you know, I hate to stop training too. I might take you up on your offer there. I hate to cook. So I don't get the "workout pass" quite as easily. Fortunately, this year, I had the dog allergy excuse for long hours at the gym.

I may use that line sometime ... "If the family doesn't like it, they can find another one." :rofl: Go Mel!

jim clemmons
November 26th, 2007, 04:59 PM

Mel,

You should add "reluctantly".

2fish&1whale
November 26th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Glad so see so many others dragged their butts poolside.....my pool was closed on thursday so i ran in a turkey trot...lesson learned-i'm made for swimming not running!
On a side note- i put in my PB this month and some bugger at the pool decided to rip the lap chart off the bulletin board.....:bitching:

aztimm
November 26th, 2007, 05:24 PM
I was pretty upset last Wed, I showed up but for some reason the rec center (where we swim at 6am) wasn't open. They wouldn't even let us go in and shower...I came to my office and washed my hair in the sink. But I was able to get out for the noon workout (held at another pool), and it was GREAT. I took off from swimming Thurs through Sun.

I did run a bit over the break though. I did 5-1/2 miles both Thurs and Fri, then about 7 yesterday. There were lots of people out running on the trail I use on Thurs morning (about 8am). Actually, that was my best pace per mile since I've been using my ipod nano w/Nike+ (Paula Radcliffe congratulated me). If anyone else uses it, it would be great to share workouts.

nkfrench
November 26th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Nice to have a 4-day weekend with time to sleep in. While my swim team's pool available has been spotty, the fitness center I joined as "plan B" was even open 8am-2pm on Thanksgiving so I could sneak a workout in before going to friends for turkey. Only one coached workout this week.
19 Mon-2700
20 Tue-pool closed short notice
21 Wed-coached workout
22 Thu-2200
23 Fri-3900
24 Sat-3800
25 Sun-stationary bike & weights
Guess it was about a 16000 week.

Allen Stark
November 26th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Thurs. is a regular non-swim day so I didn't alter my workout schedule.Less yardage as I am tapering for the SPMA meet.I'll be on a family and then a business trip before and after Christmas and since that is during my long,slow swim,rest my shoulders and knees time between SCM and SCY seasons I may be a little less regular during that time.

Paul Smith
November 26th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Got in the water every day....including turkey day (for about 800). We joined 24 hour fitness about 5 years ago..found that in just about every city we went to for work/fun there was a club....and every club has a 25 yd pool (some better than others). A log time ago I figured out that even getting two laps in a bathtub is better than staying out for a week works for me....24 hour fitness makes it a lot easier!

PS: one of the things we are working on at our LMSC is to tie in a corporate membership discount to an organization like 24 hour for members...wish that USMS had that kind of mindset but maybe its better executed at this level.

SwimStud
November 26th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Workout and competed!

Mon 3500
Wed 3500
Thu Painting
Fri More Painting (too stuffed and shoulder hurt bad--no swim)
Sat Yet More Painting
Sun 6 events in 3 hours, 90 min drive both directions, then would you believe more painting and leaf raking too!

That muscle milk helps me out.

cjr
November 26th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Sun= Off - Always day of rest
Mon= 3600 in 75 miutes
Tues - weights for 90 minutes
Wed.= 3800 in 75 minutes
Thurs. - weights for 60 minutes. Spinning for 45
Fri- 3800 in 75 minutes
Sat.- 4500 in 90 minutes
Sun.= Off. God rested a day and so do I.
Monday = 3200 in 60 minutes

Midas
November 26th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Worked out Wednesday through Saturday (was out of town Monday and Tuesday of last week). All practices were 4000+ yards, though Friday's practice was definitely more of a "recovery" day (both from Thanksgiving and from the really tough Thanksgiving day practice). While tough, Thanksgiving practice was broken up by a "Turkey Trot" competition where everyone swam down the lane doing their best turkey imitation and the "turducken" relays (in which everyone was split into teams and you had to swim near to vertical, arms tucked like wings, all while clucking, quacking and gobbling). It's pretty hilarious to see a bunch of mostly 40+ year olds doing these things... :lmao:

SearayPaul
November 26th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Now I know why I can't keep up with ya'll. All I did was work last week 14 hours each day except Thursday. Being off did not matter because my pool was closed.

Swam today for the first time in eight days, 3700 yards. Hope to swim again tomorrow.

dorothyrde
November 27th, 2007, 06:56 AM
!

PS: one of the things we are working on at our LMSC is to tie in a corporate membership discount to an organization like 24 hour for members...wish that USMS had that kind of mindset but maybe its better executed at this level.

I think that is a wonderful idea. Although I have a Y membership which has similar benefits with their away program.

funkyfish
November 27th, 2007, 10:17 AM
11/18 - Weights, ran 3/4 of a mile, swam 2000yds
11/19 - Swam 5000yds
11/20 - Weights, biked 5 minutes, swam 3000yds
11/20 - Swam 4000yds
11/21 - Ate, watched TV, ate some more
11/22 - Walked 5 miles, slept
11/23 - Stayed away from malls and anything shopping related
11/24 - Weights, biked 7 minutes, swam 1000yds

I've got my eye on an indoor triathlon in February, so I'm trying to add biking and running. I've quickly realized that there seems to be no crossover from swimming to running or biking. The triathlon is a 500yd swim, 10 mile bike, and 3 mile run. Unfortunately, the swim will be over quickly and won't provide much of an advantage over the bike or run. Maybe I can kick some competitors under the lane ropes like the did in "Pride."
:bouncing:

osterber
November 27th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Assuming I can get to workout tonight, seven days out of seven over the holidays. We had some college kids getting in to swim with us which kept things interesting...

-Rick

Slowswim
November 27th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Bill where did you find this pool in DC?

Alison

There's a 50m pool in the basement of the Pentagon. I'd heard about it but couldn't find it. Even the people tat worked there weren't sure where it was. I guess not too many workers there swim.

I was trying for something more convenient, but its on the Metro and once through security its only a quarter mile or so walk to the gym.

swimshark
November 27th, 2007, 03:50 PM
There's a 50m pool in the basement of the Pentagon. I'd heard about it but couldn't find it. Even the people tat worked there weren't sure where it was. I guess not too many workers there swim.

I was trying for something more convenient, but its on the Metro and once through security its only a quarter mile or so walk to the gym.

Cool! I didn't know they had a pool their, either. How bad is security?

Alison

craiglll@yahoo.com
November 27th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Friday, I had one of the best workouts I've had in about 4 months.

Slowswim
November 27th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Cool! I didn't know they had a pool their, either. How bad is security?

Alison

Like the airport, but you don't take your shoes off. Then, you have to get a badge. All-in-all normally about a 15-20 minute process. I would guess either very early or after hours it would be quicker.

The neat thin about it being in the basement is that its an above ground pool. I guess they couldn't dig in to the foundation to build it. Probably why no one its there. If you are in the gym its above you. So all you see are steps going up a blank wall.

poolraat
November 27th, 2007, 04:24 PM
There's a 50m pool in the basement of the Pentagon. I'd heard about it but couldn't find it. Even the people tat worked there weren't sure where it was.

Hahaha. The stealth swimming pool. :thhbbb:

I'll bet if you told someone you wanted to practice some water plf's they would divulge the secret location.

Slowswim
November 27th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Hahaha. The stealth swimming pool. :thhbbb:

I'll bet if you told someone you wanted to practice some water plf's they would divulge the secret location.

True, but I found it when I heard "Marco...Polo".:lmao:

WPSWIMS
November 27th, 2007, 10:23 PM
I was in Atlanta so I swam at Swim Atlanta on Wed at 5:45AM..it was still 3:45 mountain time in my system. Atlanta had their first day of rain so I decided I was not going to drive to Marietta from Lawrenceville in the pouring rain for the Gobble Jog. Walked and ran in the neighborhood. Friday I swam on my own at Dynamo, Sat our family went hiking in Tululah (SP) Gorge/Falls..hiked over 500 stairs. Sunday I had a hard workout at Emory and Monday a hard workout at Dynamo. It was fun swimming at sea level and seeing many of my former GAJA swimming friends. I did average 3000-3700 yards per workout! Thank you Georgia coaches for letting me swim with Y'all. I felt like I never left!

CaliSwimmer
November 27th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I stuck to my routine but still feel pudgy from all the holiday food!

Sunday: 90 minutes of weights (lower body and core focus)
Monday: 90 min. swim (4,500 plus yards)
Tuesday: 90 min. swim (4,000 plus)
Wednesday: 90 min. swim (4,000 plus)
Thursday: 60 min. weights (mostly lower body and core)
Friday: 75 min. swim (3,000 plus, was wheezing from cold air/steam)
Saturday: 60 min. weights (lower body and core mostly)
Sunday: rested!

The wheezing thing is really annoying. I swim in an outdoor pool from 5:30- 7 a.m., and when the temperature drops down to the low 40s or below (water temp is consistent 79-80 degrees) I develop some kind of short-term asthma. It never happens in the summer, so I know it's temperature related, either the cold air or the steam from the water. It only happens occasionally and never two days in a row, just enough to be aggravating and illogical:frustrated:

Does this happen to anyone else?

Lisa777
November 28th, 2007, 11:13 PM
I did but I was just a bit under the weather and took it easy. Couldn't swim but did other things. Still, felt sluggish on Monday.

Mighty Minnow
November 29th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I did :angel:
No coaches though.......but we muddled thru workouts, even on T-day (pool open for 1/2 day)